Rolf vs. Mavic vs. Spinergy ???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Goldenboy, May 22, 2003.

  1. Goldenboy

    Goldenboy New Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    I am building a Trek 5500 and I am having trouble deciding what wheels I want to roll down the road on. I have been looking at the Spinergy x-aero lite, Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL, Ksyrium Elites, Rolf Vector Pro, Rolf Vector Sestriere and the Rolf Prima Vigor. I will use these as my everyday wheels so they have to be able to sustain some miles but I want something aero and lightweight too. Any input/experience is much, much appreciated. I am open to any type of wheels, not necessarily the above mentioned. Thank You!

    Tags:

  2. Some of the attraction to the wheels you mention comes from their looks, and that's something nobody
    can decide for you. But I will point out that the Rolf Sestriere isn't my choice for cyclists over
    150 lbs or so; the spokes are too thin and the wheels get rather squishy feeling. The Vector Pro is
    a very solidly-built aerodynamic wheel, but it's going to weigh a bit more than the Ksyrium SSC SL
    or Rolf Prima Vigor. You've left out the wheels that normally come stock on a 5500 (and which I use
    myself), the Bontrager Race Lite or X-Lite. Very nice, very light wheels that use conventional
    spokes (they're actually bladed but you can replace them with regular round ones, since they're
    standard j-bend design).

    Another thing to consider is which wheels have the best local support. Once you get away from
    conventional hubs, you're dealing with special bearings & cassette mechanisms and sometimes
    different types of tools & techniques to true them. If something goes wrong (whether on a
    conventional wheel or one of those you mentioned), it's nice to have purchased them locally from a
    shop that supports them.

    "Goldenboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am building a Trek 5500 and I am having trouble deciding what wheels I want to roll down the
    > road on. I have been looking at the Spinergy x-aero lite, Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL, Ksyrium Elites,
    > Rolf Vector Pro, Rolf Vector Sestriere and the Rolf Prima Vigor. I will use these as my everyday
    > wheels so they have to be able to sustain some miles but I want something aero and lightweight
    > too. Any input/experience is much, much appreciated. I am open to any type of wheels, not
    > necessarily the above mentioned. Thank You!

  3. Grindstone

    Grindstone Guest

    I'm not a technical expert on wheels, but I have a set of Rolf's (the older "Vector Comp") that are
    the best wheels I've used. The best wheels I haven't owned are the ones sited by another
    poster.....the Bontrager. I rode these a few times on a 5200 and concur these are very nice wheels.
    By "very nice", I mean: When riding, they "feel" very solid, but the ride feels smooth.

    I'm told they hold "true" very well

    And, "they look good" (IMHO)

    I'm not sure but I believe the spoke design is very similar if not same as Rolf .......maybe
    Bontrager acquired the rights to the design?

    Hope this is helpful. Good luck. "Goldenboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am building a Trek 5500 and I am having trouble deciding what wheels I want to roll down the
    > road on. I have been looking at the Spinergy x-aero lite, Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL, Ksyrium Elites,
    > Rolf Vector Pro, Rolf Vector Sestriere and the Rolf Prima Vigor. I will use these as my everyday
    > wheels so they have to be able to sustain some miles but I want something aero and lightweight
    > too. Any input/experience is much, much appreciated. I am open to any type of wheels, not
    > necessarily the above mentioned. Thank You!

  4. goldenboy-<< I have been looking at the Spinergy x-aero lite, Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL, Ksyrium Elites,
    Rolf Vector Pro, Rolf Vector Sestriere and the Rolf Prima Vigor.

    << I will use these as my everyday wheels so they have to be able to sustain some miles but I want
    something aero and lightweight too.

    Everyday use, lightweight and aero...The wheels you mention pretty much fail the 'test' for you.

    Got a good wheelbuilder around you that can design a wheelset specifically for you?

    Using off the shelf components(like hubs, spokes) that are not unique to these wheels and will be
    supported by the manufacturer for more than a few years?

    The resulting wheelset will- -perform the same(or better) -weigh the same(or less) -may be more
    reliable(certainly not less if made well) -will use standard components found in any good bike
    shop(call around to see who has Ksyrium spokes) -will cost less-Ksyrium SL $800, DA or Record with
    Velocity rims are about $500...

  5. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    <snip stuff about certain wheels>

    > Another thing to consider is which wheels have the best local support.
    Once
    > you get away from conventional hubs, you're dealing with special bearings
    &
    > cassette mechanisms and sometimes different types of tools & techniques to true them. If something
    > goes wrong (whether on a conventional wheel or
    one
    > of those you mentioned), it's nice to have purchased them locally from a shop that supports them.

    Generally good advice but, do you mean wheels like the post-'99 Shamal's for which we cannot find
    spoke kits (tried QBP, Ochsner, Sinclair, EuroAsia, Campag. USA, ...). No Vento kits either, which
    can substitute.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  6. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    -<< I have been looking at the Spinergy
    > x-aero lite, Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL, Ksyrium Elites, Rolf Vector Pro, Rolf Vector Sestriere and the
    > Rolf Prima Vigor.
    >

    > << I will use these as my everyday wheels so they have to be able to sustain some miles but I want
    > something aero and lightweight too.
    >
    > Everyday use, lightweight and aero...The wheels you mention pretty much
    fail
    > the 'test' for you.
    >
    > Got a good wheelbuilder around you that can design a wheelset specifically
    for
    > you?
    >
    > Using off the shelf components(like hubs, spokes) that are not unique to
    these
    > wheels and will be supported by the manufacturer for more than a few
    years?

    > The resulting wheelset will- -perform the same(or better) -weigh the same(or less) -may be more
    > reliable(certainly not less if made well) -will use standard components found in any good bike
    > shop(call around to
    see
    > who has Ksyrium spokes) -will cost less-Ksyrium SL $800, DA or Record with Velocity rims are
    > about $500...

    In a lots of wheel questions, I disagree with Peter and his "have a wheelbuilder design a wheel for
    you" stance, but this is a time I'm going to second his recommendation. For every day wheels, ride
    something that's going to be more durable, lighter, and Gasp! less aero. For fast weekend rides,
    pull out the Bontrager/Rolf/etc. wheels.

    Why limit yourself to just one wheelset? Wheelsets are like tools. Just like you wouldn't use a
    hammer to drive in a screw, why use aero wheels to go slow?

    Mike

  7. Ant

    Ant Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > In a lots of wheel questions, I disagree with Peter and his "have a wheelbuilder design a wheel
    > for you" stance, but this is a time I'm going to second his recommendation. For every day wheels,
    > ride something that's going to be more durable, lighter, and Gasp! less aero. For fast weekend
    > rides, pull out the Bontrager/Rolf/etc. wheels.
    >
    > Why limit yourself to just one wheelset? Wheelsets are like tools. Just like you wouldn't use a
    > hammer to drive in a screw, why use aero wheels to go slow?

    'cause you can go slow with _style_.

    anthony (who doesnt have the change for nice wheelsets, and sticks to funky lace patterns instead)

  8. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Goldenboy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am building a Trek 5500 and I am having trouble deciding what wheels I want to roll down the road
    >on. I have been looking at the Spinergy x-aero lite, Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL, Ksyrium Elites, Rolf
    >Vector Pro, Rolf Vector Sestriere and the Rolf Prima Vigor. I will use these as my everyday wheels
    >so they have to be able to sustain some miles but I want something aero and lightweight too. Any
    >input/experience is much, much appreciated. I am open to any type of wheels, not necessarily the
    >above mentioned. Thank You!

    For the bucks, it's hard to beat the Ritchey Z Deep wheels (16/20 bladed spokes, medium deep rims,
    960/665g). And they cost less than half as much as the Ksyriums.

  9. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > Goldenboy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I am building a Trek 5500 and I am having trouble deciding what wheels I want to roll down the
    > >road on. I have been looking at the Spinergy x-aero lite, Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL, Ksyrium Elites,
    > >Rolf Vector Pro, Rolf Vector Sestriere and the Rolf Prima Vigor. I will use these as my everyday
    > >wheels so they have to be able to sustain some miles but I want something aero and lightweight
    > >too. Any input/experience is much, much appreciated. I am open to any type of wheels, not
    > >necessarily the above mentioned. Thank You!
    >
    > For the bucks, it's hard to beat the Ritchey Z Deep wheels (16/20 bladed spokes, medium deep rims,
    > 960/665g). And they cost less than half as much as the Ksyriums.

    I have a pair of the Ritchey Pro (20/28) wheels and really like them.

    Mike

  10. > Generally good advice but, do you mean wheels like the post-'99 Shamal's for which we cannot find
    > spoke kits (tried QBP, Ochsner, Sinclair,
    EuroAsia,
    > Campag. USA, ...). No Vento kits either, which can substitute.

    Campy support for older product is a whole 'nother can of worms. More than likely they'll get some
    more kits in sometime... but it could be quite a wait. Fortunately, Mavic, Rolf, Bontrager etc do a
    pretty decent job of supporting older product.

    news:[email protected]...