Safety Illumination Advice

If you have ever seen an aircraft carrier all lit up for show during a port stay...that is what I look like when I ride in the dark. The only criticism that I have ever gotten about my safety illumination approach was from an area police officer who pointed out that drunks are attracted to flashing lights, prompting me to perhaps rethink the setup on my taillights. And yeah, the ankle and wrist band blinking relectors are typically what I get asked about because of how well they show up and complete the picture of my silhouette for drivers.

I was looking at they dynohub but am concerned that the single headlamp is only 3w. How bright is this? I am used to the 10w battery pack system.

steve57910 said:
I was looking at they dynohub but am concerned that the single headlamp is only 3w. How bright is this? I am used to the 10w battery pack system.
i just installed a shimano dynohub on my 10-speed using a lumotec headlamp & led dynamo driven rear taillight. i ride all over town through lit & unlit roads & it is awesome! don't pay attention to watts. it's the lumens that count. the beam pattern of the lumotec has a oval pattern. i see very good no matter where i go. & the best thing--no batteries! ride all night with no worry of dead batteries. the lumotec has those standlights when i stop too. i always used bottle dynamos which worked out good, but the hub has no drag that i can feel, & it's so wierd riding with no noise comming from the old dynamo system as the hub makes no noise at all. the best thing--the lights come on automatically with that light sensitive automatic switch. it's so cool! i recommend it highly. it's kind of expensive up front--$119.00 for the hub, & $75.00 for the front wheel rebuild. + the cost of the lights too, but they are not much. you can use any dynamo lights as long as they are 6 volt, 3 watt. it's a long term solution to consistant bike lights & it will be the last system you would need...

Now that is getting dark in the mornings my commute is a little more exciting. I have the standard dual flashers on the back and white flashers and a headlight in front plus a neon yellow jacket with reflective tape. What bothers me is how many other cycle commuters do not use lights and rely on their dark blue or red cycle jacket with reflective tape. Cars just cannot see them in certain situations especially at dawn or dusk. I guess they think they are just being cool. Ottawa is a great city for cycle commuters and the drivers are fairly used to them. But they are definitely taking a chance.

One more person chiming in!

My 15-mile (one way) commute includes urban street riding and unlit, paved bike trail riding. I subscribe to the "more light is better" school. Up front I have a LaserEdge halogen system (www.bicyclelights.com) It's a phenomenal bargain at about $80US including shipping. Mine has two 15-watt lamps, so if I switch them both on I've got 30W. It lights up every pothole, crack, etc. and really catches the drivers' attention (which in Boston is no small accomplishment).

In back I use a 5-LED "blinky" Also, I have reflective ankle bands, and a few strips of reflective tape on the frame. So far, so good.

I see some very good advice. Please remember this too! Your chances of getting involved in a crash go up dramatically during the night time hours! Dusk and dawn are very bad times too! Keep visible! Watch out! Be safe! Ride...but ride often!

Pedal On,

Bob Light