Sella nabbed for CERA

With a 49% stake in the Vuelta, can ASO insist on the CERA test being implemented, or is it going to be another doping free-for-all?

ilpirata said:
The CONI supposedly had the same test in Rome at the time of the Giro , but were not called into play by UCI or the Giro organizers.
thank you. given the disparity in the number of positives at the g.t.'s, i think that aso and the tour are serious about cleaning up the sport while italy and spain will need to be forced into it with a festina scandal of their own.

as for me, i'm taking up a new training regime which requires me to take vacations at the beach in madrid.

slovakguy said:
as for me, i'm taking up a new training regime which requires me take vacations at the beach in madrid.

Didn't Kloden make some references to the CSF boys during the Giro ? You think Bruyneel put a hit on them ?

His wikipedia entry, in entirety, says it all:

wikipedia said:
Emanuele Sella (born 9 January 1981 in Vicenza) is an Italian road racing cyclist with CSF Group-Navigare. He has won four stages in the Giro d'Italia.

In out of competition control testing, performed July 23, 2008, Sella was found to test positive for CERA, the third generation EPO according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. [1]

slovakguy said:
thank you. given the disparity in the number of positives at the g.t.'s, i think that aso and the tour are serious about cleaning up the sport while italy and spain will need to be forced into it with a festina scandal of their own.

Yeah I'm excited too but wary of getting too enthused. It could be an interesting few months. I suspect the Olympics will be scandal free though.

I am very happy they nailed Sella. His performance at the Giro was suspect. And this has been at the forefront of my mind since the spectacular performances of Riccò at the Tour.

But please do not rail on us Italians. Compared to the Spanish we have mega-super-duper anti-doping regimen. Remember that we still have Basso out on suspension, DiLuca was suspended and missed a World Championship, and now Sella is out.

Every time I see Valverde race it annoys me to no end, his 'innocence' on the OP affair.

Timeline:

July 17th: Ricco gets nabbed for Cerra

July 20: Sella is supposed to return to racing but is pulled at the last minute due to tendinitis.

July 23: Sella is tested.

Looks like Anne Grimper realized that the news of the Cerra test might cause people to withdraw from races. I wonder who else came up with an illness or an injury just after Ricco tested positive.

whiteboytrash said:
I always thought that Bruyneel gave Sella the contact for CERA and he got it for free... maybe that would explain sella helping Contador to win.

So lets get this right..... Ricco was on the gear at the Giro, so was Sella and Contador at 85% was not ? I think on countback Gibo wins the Giro !
Gibo has won the Giro for the last 10 years.

Malkmus said:
Timeline:

July 17th: Ricco gets nabbed for Cerra

July 20: Sella is supposed to return to racing but is pulled at the last minute due to tendinitis.

July 23: Sella is tested.

Looks like Anne Grimper realized that the news of the Cerra test might cause people to withdraw from races. I wonder who else came up with an illness or an injury just after Ricco tested positive.

Lance just pulled out of Leaderville with a strained groin muscle.

ilpirata said:
It appears to me that UCI are trying to do damage control. As the ASO has made the UCI controls look like a joke. The CONI supposedly had the same test in Rome at the time of the Giro , but were not called into play by UCI or the Giro organizers.
+1

That is what it looks like to me. The UCI is very protective of its territory. They have to be worried that going forward all French races will use the AFLD, and htey have to be worried it might spread. With part ownership of the Vuelta, perhaps the ASO will push for independent testing. It will be interesting to see what else they do to show that they should maintain control of anti-doping in the sport.

This is fantastic news. Sella's performance, just like Ricco's in the Tour and Giro, stuck out like a sore thumb.

Which means that most of the field was probably clean.

EvilJediJ said:
This is fantastic news. Sella's performance, just like Ricco's in the Tour and Giro, stuck out like a sore thumb.

Which means that most of the field was probably clean.
I would caution that last statement.

Ricco did not win the Giro. At this level of competition I do not believe a non-doper could beat a doper. Especially if that cyclist was "on vacation" with only 1 week's notice and riding at 80%.

No way was Contador clean in order to beat Ricco.

hawkeye87 said:

Ricco did not win the Giro. At this level of competition I do not believe a non-doper could beat a doper. Especially if that cyclist was "on vacation" with only 1 week's notice and riding at 80%.

I actually thought it looked like Contadope was holding back in the Giro. Perhaps told not to overdo it and spoil the beach training myth.

Rolfrae said:
I actually thought it looked like Contadope was holding back in the Giro. Perhaps told not to overdo it and spoil the beach training myth.
...hence not winning a stage.

I think thats whay Ricco was shooting his mouth off. What he meant was: "fark me ! If your're been shooting up CERA like a junkie on the beaches of Madrid then you shoud be flying. Atatck would ya !!"

hawkeye87 said:

I agree, it is doubtful that there are truly clean cyclists in the peleton. If a cyclist is told, we have something which will make you race better but is not detectable by the controls, that cyclist will certainly take it. I am saddened by by the positive of Sella, where I was not really for Riccò. For me Sella had a more exciting style as he was more of a risk taker. Also he did not come out negatively against any other rider, even when provoked.
Perhaps Riccò is starting to learn this is a better way to behave, as he was quoted as saying of Sella's positive "I would not wish this on anyone, and wished him the best, and that having the companionship of a wife would be a boon for him"

hawkeye87 said:

I said most. Not All :)

hawkeye87 said:

I agree.

With Ricco and Sella now facing the music, I think we can consign 2007 Giro to the * category.
(* denotes events/riders who's results are dubious).

Co-incidentally, I just re-watched 2004 TDF tape : Valréas to Villard-de-Lans stage.
Landis and Armstrong etc outclimbing Rasmussen and Virenque.
Take your pick from the dopers hall of infamy.

limerickman said:
I agree.

With Ricco and Sella now facing the music, I think we can consign 2007 Giro to the * category.
And what do we have to look forward to at next year's Giro? The return of Birillo Basso.

limerickman said:
I agree.

Co-incidentally, I just re-watched 2004 TDF tape : Valréas to Villard-de-Lans stage.
Landis and Armstrong etc outclimbing Rasmussen and Virenque.
Take your pick from the dopers hall of infamy.
It's disappointing that what seemed like a real exciting race at the time... and perhaps as was then thought...due to it being a lot cleaner... has since been tainted... with two of the star actors of that movie obviously doped.