Shaved legs

Shaving your legs is like the old Campy aero seatpost.... Once you get above 55 miles/per hour the
aerodynamics really start to kick in... :)

I have noticed though that when using sunblock... I use less when the legs are shaved.... <that
could be a figment too>

NS

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Bob asks-<< Why should I shave my legs? I heard that the pro cyclists shave their legs. What is
> the purpose... >><BR><BR>
>
> Threads DO reappear regularly, don't they?
>
> Easier to get a good massage, less damage when ya fall, faster healing when ya fall...chicks
> dig it...

"chicks dig it..."

Think you are right. Some young lady told me once that my hairy legs "look like ripped leotards!"

Prometheus <[email protected]> wrote:
: sports. Swimming, for example. I have raced the same event, in the same physical shape, shaved and
: unshaved. Not only does it FEEL faster shaved, but it actually is, by a couple tenths, which may
: not be much,

Water is much denser than air so you'd expect the difference between shaved and unshaved to be much
larger than for cyclists.

Personally I just like the look.

Arthur

Lord Lester

"GoCycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Bob asks-<< Why should I shave my legs? I heard that the pro cyclists
shave
> > their legs. What is the purpose... >><BR><BR>
> >
> > Threads DO reappear regularly, don't they?
> >
> > Easier to get a good massage, less damage when ya fall, faster healing
when ya
> > fall...chicks dig it...
> >
> > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
> > (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
>

> "chicks dig it..."
>
> Think you are right. Some young lady told me once that my hairy legs "look like ripped leotards!"

Probably some teenager who digs androgenous guys.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

This reminds me of a line out of "Breaking Away". The racer character announces he is going to shave
his legs. When asked why, he says: "All the Italians do it". To which another character responds:
"Strange country. Their women don't."

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win you're _`\(,_ | still a rat. --Lilly
Tomlin (_)/ (_) |

I've heard the reason is either 1) it makes for a more effective deep muscle massage before/after
the race, and/or 2) it's easier to apply first aid in the event of a crash.

I shave mine because the wind cools my legs better if it doesn't have to work around the hairs.

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Why should I shave my legs? I heard that the pro cyclists shave their
legs.
> What is the purpose...

They do it because most of them are gay. Also explains the acronym GRS when referring to their
brightly colored clothing, stands for Gay Roadie Stuff.

Just kidding guys!

James...running and ducking

Chris Zacho writes:

> I've heard the reason is either 1) it makes for a more effective deep muscle massage before/after
> the race, and/or 2) it's easier to apply first aid in the event of a crash.

I see. You believe all the conventional excuses offered by those unsure of their masculinity. Only
because others wear genital revealing tights, others take solace from that and do likewise. If you
ask them why they do that you'll get equally hollow excuses.

> I shave mine because the wind cools my legs better if it doesn't have to work around the hairs.

The truly faithful never question the tenets of their group. Keep up the good work.

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:yBPIa.4215$%[email protected]...
> Chris Zacho writes:
>
> > I've heard the reason is either 1) it makes for a more effective deep muscle massage
> > before/after the race, and/or 2) it's easier to apply first aid in the event of a crash.
>
> I see. You believe all the conventional excuses offered by those unsure of their masculinity. Only
> because others wear genital revealing tights, others take solace from that and do likewise. If you
> ask them why they do that you'll get equally hollow excuses.

Whoa! What kind of cycling shorts do you wear? I thought all of them were "genital revealing".

Todd Kuzma <[email protected]> wrote:
> Suzy Jackson wrote:

> > I'll second that. Divides those who are serious about their sport from those who aren't, too.

> It also divides those who mindlessly follow fashion from those who don't.

Given the amount of effort that goes into shaving your legs, not to mention the sidelong glances
from the rest of the world (for males), I don't think anyone "mindlessly" shaves their legs. OTOH, I
know quite a few cyclists serious about the sport who don't bother. It is a bonding ritual.
Everything else is a after-the-fact justification, one way or the other.

Robin Hubert wrote:

> > Only because others wear genital revealing tights, others take solace from that and do likewise.
> > If you ask them why they do that you'll get equally hollow excuses.
>
> Whoa! What kind of cycling shorts do you wear? I thought all of them were "genital revealing".

I don't know what you mean by "genital revealing." My shorts cover the genital area completely, much
to the relief of all bystanders. And since I haven't responsed to any of those "male enhancement"
e-mails I get every day, the shorts fit quite fine, thank you.

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:27:20 GMT, "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Probably some teenager who digs androgenous guys.

Look at some anime-for-girls someday -- lots of cute japanese girls apparently dig androgynous guys
(Given how damn many of them appear). Bring 'em on, I say.

Jasper

Don't forget this important reason:

"I am told that men who compete in certain kinds of athletics - such as bicycle racing - shave
their legs to prevent wind drag, and also to avoid getting their hair caught in the chain" - Dear
Abby (Abigail van Buren)

Man, I hate when that happens....

roydrink

In article <[email protected]>, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> This reminds me of a line out of "Breaking Away". The racer character announces he is going to
> shave his legs. When asked why, he says: "All the Italians do it". To which another character
> responds: "Strange country. Their women don't."

Chow, Papa!

ROTFLMAO

I have the dvd of this great movie! Will watch it this AM as my favorite ride is under water.

PS: Anyone know of a good set of padles for my cross bike?

andres-<< Pro cyclists get massages regularly. It is easy to get a massage, or give yourself a
massage if you don't have too much hair. Yet, I have gotten tons of deep tissue massage with lots of
hair in my legs w/o problems. >><BR><BR>

I am lucky(not really, I had to get hit by a pickup truck first!!), to get a all expenses paid
massage for me busted back twice per week. She also 'does' my legs and my massage therapist agrees,
it is easier to do this w/o hair. So I shave...also easier to get me panty hose on.....

<< Muscular hairless legs legs look good, showing the vascularity and the hypertonality of of the
many hours on the bike. >><BR><BR>

Also the vericose veins!!!

In article <roy*[email protected]>, Roy Drink
<roy*[email protected]> wrote:

> Don't forget this important reason:
>
> "I am told that men who compete in certain kinds of athletics - such as bicycle racing - shave
> their legs to prevent wind drag, and also to avoid getting their hair caught in the chain" -
> Dear Abby (Abigail van Buren)
>
> Man, I hate when that happens....

Oh, that's just some cross-dresser who took up cycling to justify his habit, I'm thinking.

How hirsute would you have to be before that was a problem?

Terry Morse <[email protected]> writes:

>>> Only because others wear genital revealing tights, others take solace from that and do likewise.
>>> If you ask them why they do that you'll get equally hollow excuses.

>> Whoa! What kind of cycling shorts do you wear? I thought all of them were "genital revealing".

> I don't know what you mean by "genital revealing." My shorts cover the genital area completely,
> much to the relief of all bystanders. And since I haven't responsed to any of those "male
> enhancement" e-mails I get every day, the shorts fit quite fine, thank you.

The shorts in question have nothing more than a wisp of Lycra over the crotch and ones whose padded
interior covers that area. Since "real" men wear nothing under their tights, the thin ones even
allow the casual observer to ascertain whether Jew or gentile, they are so explicit... "Oh! was I
doing that???" as if it weren't obvious. It doesn't require Xray vision.

Benjamin Weiner wrote:
> Todd Kuzma <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Suzy Jackson wrote:
>
>>>I'll second that. Divides those who are serious about their sport from those who aren't, too.
>>
>>It also divides those who mindlessly follow fashion from those who don't.
>
> Given the amount of effort that goes into shaving your legs, not to mention the sidelong glances
> from the rest of the world (for males), I don't think anyone "mindlessly" shaves their legs. OTOH,
> I know quite a few cyclists serious about the sport who don't bother.

Perhaps "mindless" isn't the best word, but I don't agree with the implication that those who don't
shave are not serious about their sport.

Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
http://www.heronbicycles.com http://www.tullios.com