Shaved or unshaved?

kdelong said:
I don't shave either but have known several who do. Most all admitted that peer pressure was one factor. One of them stated that it was beneficial in the event of a crash. Apparently he feels that smooth skin will slide easier on the road than hairy skin, and that road rash is easier to clean when there is no hair in the way. This sounds as good as ny other answer.

Unfortunately, smooth skin comes off just like hairy skin when being ground along the bitumen. The hair, I think, has about as much of an effect as farting does on acceleration.

where it's not as universally expected

so it is kind of an expected thing for those who are dedicated to cycling (for most anyway) basically from what I am gathering, there is NO reason to do it other than for phsycologically or to "look the part"? I am a sucker for looking the part, so I guess I better stock up on my razors! :D

bianchi10 said:
... there is NO reason to do it other than for phsycologically or to "look the part"? ...
Well you'll hear a lot of 'reasons' but I don't buy most of them. I think most of the common reasons have been mentioned in this thread, but here's some that come to mind:

- Better in a crash either due to less damage, less risk of infection or easier time applying bandages. (not buyin' it)
- Easier to use massage oils for those regular post workout massages from your paid soigneur (yeah that applies to most of us!)
- More aerodynamic (doubtful and if anything very small impact relative to things like aero bars and position on bike, helmet, wheels, skinsuit...)
- Better 'acceptance' in the peloton (there might be some truth to this for beginners, but plenty of hairy legged guys get into the mix if they've got the power and bike handling skills to stay near the front)

Anyway, there's probably other 'reasons' but I expect for most it's either because it feels fast or because it's what the other racers are doing and the unspoken peer pressure is stronger than many folks like to admit.

-Dave

If nothing else your wife will find out what stubbley legs feel like when the hair starts to grow back....

:eek:

:D

With the amount of hair removal that goes on nowadays for both sexes I don't think shaved legs on men would be extremely unusual even for non-cyclists. Certainly plenty of bodybuilding and fitness types go for the legs and arms right after skinning the chest and stomach.

frenchyge said:
With the amount of hair removal that goes on nowadays for both sexes I don't think shaved legs on men would be extremely unusual even for non-cyclists. Certainly plenty of bodybuilding and fitness types go for the legs and arms right after skinning the chest and stomach.

YOu mean with the amount of public displays of vanity these days........

daveryanwyoming said:
- Easier to use massage oils for those regular post workout massages from your paid soigneur (yeah that applies to most of us!)

You live in sunny climes, and substitute oil for sunscreen. How much fun is rubbing the 30+ into sasquatch legs.

alienator said:
YOu mean with the amount of public displays of vanity these days........

I thought you kept those displays of yours firmly within the walls of your masturbatorium.

taniwha said:
I thought you kept those displays of yours firmly within the walls of your masturbatorium.

Only until the court order expires, then it's back to the nursing homes for me. Heh.

alienator said:
Only until the court order expires, then it's back to the nursing homes for me. Heh.

I am just relieved that I have several thousand kilometres (none of that awful imperial measurement nonsense here) of briny water between you and I. My waking nightmare at the moment is having an accident, ending up in residential care and waking one day to find you on the shift.
I'd wager that day you would shave your legs so that you'd be slightly in character in the nurse's uniform.

taniwha said:
I am just relieved that I have several thousand kilometres (none of that awful imperial measurement nonsense here) of briny water between you and I. My waking nightmare at the moment is having an accident, ending up in residential care and waking one day to find you on the shift.
I'd wager that day you would shave your legs so that you'd be slightly in character in the nurse's uniform.

Nurse Ratchet will be waiting for you, riding crop in hand.

I see a lot already covered but here is my $0.02

After a bad crash involving stitches I was converted. it is way easier to pull the tape off an injury with out the hair...I have a lot of it. Also easier to clean without the hair mixing in the scab/wound/gels. I had another injury where I had to scrub the injury 2X a day every day with a very stiff brush to remove any scabbing and let the wound heal from the outer edges in. It was a huge area, I can't imagine doing that with hair in place.

I get a massage every other week. Feels better sans hair and no pulling of the hair on a hard rub. I let it go in the winter and always wish I kept them shaved for the massage.

I do self massage after hard rides, same reasons as above.

But probably the biggest reason is that I am a poser just like the rest of you. ;) You cannot discount the benefits of feeling like a serious cyclist. It surely won't save you any time, but feeling the part has to have some mental advantages...at least in my mind it does.

I shave for two main reasons, one is to clean any road rash that I may incure and it feels amazing to have the old legs massaged with smooth skin. Another side is my wife likes it and it makes the legs really stand out at gym.

cyclists shave their legs ...same as they dont fit mudguards on lashing rainy days....its part of the defined image:cool:

Hmmm. I thought the defined image of cyclists/roadies was that they were snobs and elitists. Who knew!

taniwha said:
It worked, although the chlorine made my nose bleed. I combined that with some lengthy gazing at Chicks and Bikes, and I'm quite cured.
Thanks

Cured of that, maybe, but there's still that thing you've got going on with the foul smelling ooze and pustules for which you're being treated.