Shaved or unshaved?

Damn straight I shave...hey it is all for my lady...

It makes it look even bigger, feels better for me and she hates it when it is too hairy....:D:D:D

Shaving to aid with road rash clean up is the biggest myth there is.

It's harder to clean out bits of dirt from a nice bit of road rash than it is hair... Besides, if you fall off most of your hair is left out there on the road with your skin and doesn't mystically find it's way back to the effected area.

Hahaha...

I tell it how it is (after almost ten years of racing with shaved legs and a few years of riding with fury legs) and I suddenly get a bunch of messages and 'not helpful' ratings.

Sweet.

... I'm guessing someone's been shaving in the belief that cleaning out wounds will be so much easier. Sorry bud, but the only thing that's easier is removing the dressing that covers the road rash afterwards.

swampy1970 said:
Shaving to aid with road rash clean up is the biggest myth there is.

most people shave to look like their peer group and to look cool

How normal is it for MALE cyclists to shave their legs? If it is something that is common what is the benefit? I have a couple friends who I ride with that have been into cycling for 15+ years now and they both shave their legs. They constantly tell me that there will be a day that I will also......??:confused: I don't really see the point in doing it, but if someone can give me a good logical reason for doing so I might...THINK about it :D

so is this a normal part of cycling that I just didn't hear about before getting into it OR do I need to start shopping in the ladies section for my friends xmas gifts? LOL

There is no special reason for doing it. See, it's like Confucius said: If it feels good, do it.

It's very common within the cycling culture. There are various reasons people give for doing it, but I don't think any of them really qualify as a tangible benefit. I don't do it (despite peer pressure from my teammates) because I'm lazy and my wife doesn't like it and there wouldn't be a benefit to me, but when you've pedalled in a few circles you will find that hairy sticks are in the small minority.

Actually, I did it once for a state road championship as a rallying/bonding item for my teammates who were going to help me win the race. :)

I makes for a better tan. Actually, I don't shave them, but they get a short flattop.

I shave, have for years for all of the above reasons, plus I found that it reduced cuts and nicks when I was mountain biking on trails that had gorse on them.

It's a big moral booster also.

taniwha said:
I shave, have for years....

No, read that again. It's about shaving, not the self-waxing and the Brazilian you give yourself each week.

alienator said:
No, read that again. It's about shaving, not the self-waxing and the Brazilian you give yourself each week.

Ok, but it all goes down damn well at The Centurian Club.

If I didn't race, I probably wouldn't shave. Then again, I don't really shave my legs - I shear them with electric clippers. Much faster...I don't really need the extra clean shaven feel...jus' wanna look the part...in the winter I'm much more liberal with the shearing sched - maybe once a month...to each his own...doesn't increase my FTP, I don't have a personal soigneur, so what's really the point? I suppose I do it because of the peer pressure at the starting line of those races...

tonyzackery said:
... I suppose I do it because of the peer pressure at the starting line of those races...
+1 and basically my rationale for shaving during race season as well. It doesn't make me faster but sometimes makes me 'feel' faster and 'feel' like I'm in racing mode and have come to race not ride.

IMO it makes no actual difference in results other than the psychological difference of showing up ready to race hard. I don't typically shave for cyclocross where it's not as universally expected and don't shave during the winter but I sure feel amped up and ready to go for the first crit or TT of the season with clean legs.

-Dave

I started for primarily one reason: for me, it's cooler. So much hair the legs looked like Sasquach. During spring, summer & early fall, sweat would gather and strean down the legs into socks and shoes. No hair, nothing to act as a "capillary". Sweat evaporates off the skin. Socks stay dryer. Again that's me. To each his own.

I don't shave either but have known several who do. Most all admitted that peer pressure was one factor. One of them stated that it was beneficial in the event of a crash. Apparently he feels that smooth skin will slide easier on the road than hairy skin, and that road rash is easier to clean when there is no hair in the way. This sounds as good as ny other answer.