Shaved or unshaved?

I've never shaved my legs, takes me half my time to remember to shave my face let along anywhere else. Left the LBS this morning and one of the guys said 'you need to shave your legs' - I just smiled and said 'you and I know that ain't gonna happen!'. I understand the healing issues, 'aerodynamic' issues but to be frank I like my leg hair it makes me...manly... ;)

for me.... I don't need to leave the hair on my legs to feel manly. Sorry guys.

I shave only during cycling season, meaning when it's ski season....i let it all grow back to normal.

One big thing about shaved legs I do find convenient is the ability to rub them down when they get sore. pretty often in my case. Hell of a lot easier!!

I crashed last year. Made cleaning and treating easier too.

At what point is it OK to shave your legs? I have only done 5 races, and at each one everyone has their legs shaved. I see it as sort of a "rite of passage." So, when do you earn the right to shave your legs?

It's really just a personal choice. If you do a search there are plenty of threads on the subject.

If you want a rite of passage, go fall down and get some road rash. Then, you'll understand.

My good woman says, forget shaving, waxing is the way to go. I am a believer in the au naturel look, myself.

meowcatz said:
At what point is it OK to shave your legs? I have only done 5 races, and at each one everyone has their legs shaved. I see it as sort of a "rite of passage." So, when do you earn the right to shave your legs?

If your a woman!

Weee, that should bring some interesting thoughts out!

Crippy, I raced for 12 years and never shaved my legs (by the way I'm a guy not some furry woman!), there were a few like me but most shaved. People shave mostly to prevent road rash healing with hair sticking to it, but I never cared. Some women find men with shaved legs sexy...others will think your a sicko.

I have never been very hairy and I dislike body hair so off it came. up until cycling I had never shaved my legs or arms. actually I made fun of my brother who does body sculpting for some time. One day I grabbed a razor and thought do I dare? off it came and I have never gone back. Every 3 days I shave my legs and arms cuz a little bit of stubble is worse than either side of the road.

thats year round for me by the way

I wax my legs, it lasts so much longer then when i shave. I wax mainly in the summer when i am in shorts. Then it all grows back for winter.

genedan said:
It's really just a personal choice. If you do a search there are plenty of threads on the subject.

If you want a rite of passage, go fall down and get some road rash. Then, you'll understand.

I've binned it at speed with and without hairy legs. Getting the hairs out aint a problem if you don't p1ss around dabbing with soft wet pads with 'super mega mundo wizzo cleany weenie goop on it'. Soft brush, lots of water, scrub, scrub, scrub, squirt with a gentle antibacterial agent and cover as necessary. It's the bits of gravel and road debris that are a bit trickier.

The only real reason to shave your legs is if you have a masseur/masseuse who regularly massages your legs. The last thing they need at the end of the night is to have hands than feel like they've been rubbing balls of steel wool inbetween their palms.

I have decided to shave one leg so I can be stylish on my road or mountain bike.

jhuskey said:
I have decided to shave one leg so I can be stylish on my road or mountain bike.
Careful!!! You will be riding around in circles because of the aerodynamic factor. One side will be faster then the other.

Azulene said:
As a girl cyclist and a professional Esthetician have you guy thought about waxing your legs. I have a few male clients who I wax.

Let the warm weather come soon!!!!
/what about useing imac keeps your legs smooth and looking good on and off the bike.....:)

coneofsilence said:
I wax my legs, it lasts so much longer then when i shave. I wax mainly in the summer when i am in shorts. Then it all grows back for winter.

Do you use Mothers? or Meguiars? Does wax make them look really glossy like their wet? And you should use wax in the winter too because the water will bead up and snow will shed off faster.

I'm so tired of shaving my face the last thing I want to do is shave my legs.

Froze said:
Do you use Mothers? or Meguiars? Does wax make them look really glossy like their wet? ...
Only if you melt the wax on and leave it there.

Ive just started shaving my legs again after a break of 3 years. Forget the crash bull**** and who cares about the masseur - my wife says they feel great and gets closer at night.

Nope, don't shave. I like my legs just the way they are - men should have hair on their legs!!! However, I do like to shave my chest from time to time...go figure LOL!!! To each his own.

It would take a lot of money for a good cause to make me even give shaving legs a 2nd thought. I haven't fallen off for several years now. being of a certain age (53) I don't think I take the risks that I used to. I still give it all I've got. Just haven't got quite as much to give and don't see that shaving my legs will improve my cycling.:cool: