Shimano 10sp spacing on a 10sp Campag cassette?

trackie76

Feb 3, 2014
Hi guys,

I've bought a BT ATS ergo - which comes with a campag freehub. I own nothing campag - and run DA Di2 on my roadie. Is there any advice on spacing the campag cassette so it will work with my shimano di2?

Thanks!

Here's the link to Sheldon Brown's spacing crib sheet: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html. As you can see, there's a 1.8 mm difference in overall cassette width, a 0.1 mm difference in tooth thickness, and Campy center-to-center spacing is variable vs. Shimano's constant 3.95 mm.

Still, I've heard some guys say that if you calibrate the derailleur to the center of the cassette, the variable spacing is is negligible and the 0.9 mm on either end is manageable. With a little "english" on the lever, it might work.

Since English is not in the vocabulary of Di2, my recommendation is to either figure out how to shave and shim the cog on-center spacing to exactly 3.95 mm and find a chain that won't complain about the extra tooth thickness, or have your local shop find and install a Shimano-compatible cassette body for your wheel.

Originally Posted by trackie76

I've bought a BT ATS ergo - which comes with a campag freehub. I own nothing campag - and run DA Di2 on my roadie. Is there any advice on spacing the campag cassette so it will work with my shimano di2?
Is the "BT ATS ergo" their trainer?!?

If THAT is the case then 'I' recommend that you simply use/(buy) a(ny inexpensive) second frame which you cobble together with a 10-speed chain (BTW. 'I' found that a 9-speed Shimano chain can be used on a 10-speed Shimano Cassette ... but, not with Shimano shifters) + a simple set of downtube shifters and dedicate it to the trainer RATHER than wear out your Di2 mechanism on the trainer ...

OR, switch to Campagnolo EPS (or, mechanical) shifters/(etc.)!!!

BTW. While you can theoretically re-stack the Campagnolo-based Freehub to match (any) Shimano indexing, I would recommend that you use 11-speed Campagnolo Cogs (if available, separately ... e.g., Athena ... separate Cogs may not be the available!) with 2.35mm Shimano spacers OR 2.35mm Wheels Manufacturing spacers (if the latter exists!?!) rather than the thicker 10-speed Campagnolo Cogs, et cetera ...

If you are locked into using Di2 shifters with the (?) BT ATS trainer (¿?), then I would simply contact BT & see about getting a Shimano compatible Freehub to put on the trainer's assembly (should be less than $100 ... if they will sell you one ... which they presumably will be happy to) rather than going through the machinations of re-fitting Campagnolo Cogs to Shimano's indexing.

Thanks for that.

Sadly, BT aren't responding to email/phone calls. Assume they're just busy.

The carrier for the large ring which runs to the fans runs off the campag freehub as well - so will be a drama changing the freehub.

Ill just try playing with spacing and see what I can acheive :)

Okay ... MICHE makes Cassettes for BOTH Shimano/-compatible & Campagnolo Freehubs ... Miche Cassette are much less expensive than Campagnolo Cassettes (what isn't?!?).
The Cogs are separate in Miche Cassettes ...​
So, if you were to buy a 10-speed Campagnolo compatible MICHE cassette PLUS either a set of 2.35mm spacers OR a 10-speed Shimano-compatible MICHE cassette (from which you would cannibalize the spacers for the time being) then you could re-stack the former, accordingly ...
[COLOR=FF00AA]with the caveat that there is NO ASSURANCE that the thickness of the MICHE Cogs necessarily complies with those manufactured by Campagnolo or Shimano![/COLOR]​
BTW. In the past, Miche cassettes received less-than-stellar reviews from some people. I do not know how true the assessment is; but, I would suppose that if it were true then THAT would undoubtedly be due to the less aggressive ramping on the teeth which was probably closer to the indifferent ramping on pre-11 speed Campagnolo Cogs than one would find on a post-2000 Shimano or SRAM Cog. The 10t Miche Cogs are presumably better than their earlier Cogs.

Originally Posted by alfeng

Okay ...

MICHE makes Cassettes for BOTH Shimano/-compatible & Campagnolo Freehubs ...

Miche Cassette are much less expensive than Campagnolo Cassettes (what isn't?!?).
The Cogs are separate in Miche Cassettes ...

So, if you were to buy a 10-speed Campagnolo compatible MICHE cassette PLUS either a set of 2.35mm spacers OR a 10-speed Shimano-compatible MICHE cassette (from which you would cannibalize the spacers for the time being) then you could re-stack the former, accordingly ...
[COLOR=FF00AA]with the caveat that there is NO ASSURANCE that the thickness of the MICHE Cogs necessarily complies with those manufactured by Campagnolo or Shimano![/COLOR]

BTW. In the past, Miche cassettes received less-than-stellar reviews from some people. I do not know how true the assessment is; but, I would suppose that if it were true then THAT would undoubtedly be due to the less aggressive ramping on the teeth which was probably closer to the indifferent ramping on pre-11 speed Campagnolo Cogs than one would find on a post-2000 Shimano or SRAM Cog. The 10t Miche Cogs are presumably better than their earlier Cogs.
Thanks for that - great advice.

errata ...

You would want to cannibalize an 11-speed MICHE Campagnolo compatible Cassette whose Cogs are theoretically the same thickness (1.6mm) as on a 10-speed Shimano Cog's thickness and not a 10-speed Campagnolo compatible Miche Cassette whose cogs are theoretically 1.7mm thick ...

... sorry for the earlier mis-statement [above].

Out of curiosity, I tried to track down some appropriate 2.35mm spacers and the few that I found were prohibitively expensive (at least, IMO!!!) ...

The Miche Primato (11-speed) Cassette seemed a bit expensive, too ...

FWIW. Others have successfully cut spacers from PVC tubing ...

Plumbing pipe/tubing is spec'd based on the Inner diameter (ID) ... so, measure the diameter of the Freehub (1 1/4" by my reckoning ... or, bring a spare hub with you) and THAT is the ID size of tubing you will want.

Regardless, you may want to try an off-the-shelf 10-speed Campagnolo/-compatible cassette because I have found that the RAMPING on the Cogs (of Shimano & SRAM) cassettes makes the need for precise indexing much less imperative ...

And, the ramping on the more modestly priced 10-speed MICHE cassette appears to mimic the ramping found on Shimano's cassettes ...

And, you may find that for your immediate purposes, the "stock" Campagnolo indexing is good enough.