Shimano 8sp STI to 10sp? OR 8sp cassette on new wheel?

David Paris

Guest
I have the 8 speed Shimano Ultegra (600) STI groupo from the mid 90s,
mounted on a Kestral 200EMS. My wheels weigh a ton, and I want to get some
new ones, likely the Easton Ascent II. I couldn't really care less about
having the extra 4 gears, but all these new wheels have hubs for 10 speed
cassettes. Will my 8speed cassette fit on those hubs? If not, what do I
need to convert my bike to a 10 speed cassette? I'd obviously need at
least a new rear derailer, and chain, but will I also need new STI levers?
If so the idea is probably out... Thanks,

David

David Paris wrote:
> I have the 8 speed Shimano Ultegra (600) STI groupo from the mid 90s,
> mounted on a Kestral 200EMS. My wheels weigh a ton, and I want to get
> some new ones, likely the Easton Ascent II. I couldn't really care
> less about having the extra 4 gears, but all these new wheels have
> hubs for 10 speed cassettes. Will my 8speed cassette fit on those
> hubs? If not, what do I need to convert my bike to a 10 speed
> cassette? I'd obviously need at least a new rear derailer, and chain,
> but will I also need new STI levers? If so the idea is probably
> out... Thanks,

An 8 Speed cassette should fit a 10 speed Shimano hub.

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#10cassettes

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

On Jul 12, 10:13 am, David Paris <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have the 8 speed Shimano Ultegra (600) STI groupo from the mid 90s,
> mounted on a Kestral 200EMS. My wheels weigh a ton, and I want to get some
> new ones, likely the Easton Ascent II. I couldn't really care less about
> having the extra 4 gears, but all these new wheels have hubs for 10 speed
> cassettes. Will my 8speed cassette fit on those hubs? If not, what do I
> need to convert my bike to a 10 speed cassette? I'd obviously need at
> least a new rear derailer, and chain, but will I also need new STI levers?
> If so the idea is probably out... Thanks,
>
> David

Few(none?) aftermarket, non shimano wheels are shimano 10s ONLY. Most
are fine with 8/9/10s cogsets. The Easton can accept your 8s cogset.