Shimano V-brakes suck!!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tj, May 26, 2003.

  1. Tj

    Tj Guest

    And they Charge a lot.

    I rode down a "Ribbon" of singletrack today with a friend riding my pig byke. I was on my HT that
    still had these crappy brakes. Still being adapted to disk brakes. I proceded to blow just about
    every corner there was. I spent more time kicking out my off trail tracks than riding. ( Don't even
    think about flaming me for this. I spend more time kicking out barney marks than most spend riding.)
    It is time to upgrade to a hardtail that has disk mounts, or just ride the pig bike everywhere.
    Anyone else have a disk bike, and a non disk bike that they switch between?

    TJ Needing to slow down.

    Tags:

  2. TJ wrote:
    > And they Charge a lot.
    >
    > I rode down a "Ribbon" of singletrack today with a friend riding my pig byke. I was on my HT that
    > still had these crappy brakes. Still being adapted to disk brakes. I proceded to blow just about
    > every corner there was. I spent more time kicking out my off trail tracks than riding. ( Don't
    > even think about flaming me for this. I spend more time kicking out barney marks than most spend
    > riding.) It is time to upgrade to a hardtail that has disk mounts, or just ride the pig bike
    > everywhere. Anyone else have a disk bike, and a non disk bike that they switch between?
    >
    > TJ Needing to slow down.

    i think you just need to learn to ride!

    a V will lock both wheels just like a disk will. that's all it takes.

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > And they Charge a lot.
    >
    > I rode down a "Ribbon" of singletrack today with a friend riding my pig byke. I was on my HT that
    > still had these crappy brakes. Still being adapted to disk brakes. I proceded to blow just about
    > every corner there was. I spent more time kicking out my off trail tracks than riding. ( Don't
    > even think about flaming me for this. I spend more time kicking out barney marks than most spend
    > riding.) It is time to upgrade to a hardtail that has disk mounts, or just ride the pig bike
    > everywhere. Anyone else have a disk bike, and a non disk bike that they switch between?
    >
    > TJ Needing to slow down.
    >

    > begin 666 TJ.vcf M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"E9%4E-)3TXZ,BXQ#[email protected]*1DXZ5$H-"E523#IH
    > M='1P.B\O=W=W+F=V:6DN;F5T+VAU;F1T;V9T#0I%34%)3#M04D5&.TE.5$52
    > M3D54.FAU;F1T;V9T;F]S<&%M0'EA:&]O+F-O;0T*4D56.C(P,#,P-3(V5#(R 2-#DS-%H-"D5.1#I60T%21 T* ` end

    I have Vs, and have yet to blow a corner. but i would like the advantage of disks.

    All in the future though.
    --
    ~Travis

  4. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > TJ wrote:
    > > And they Charge a lot.
    > >
    > > I rode down a "Ribbon" of singletrack today with a friend riding my pig byke. I was on my HT
    > > that still had these crappy brakes. Still being adapted to disk brakes. I proceded to blow just
    > > about every corner there was. I spent more time kicking out my off trail tracks than riding. (
    > > Don't even think about flaming me for this. I spend more time kicking out barney marks than most
    > > spend riding.) It is time to upgrade to a hardtail that has disk mounts, or just ride the pig
    > > bike everywhere. Anyone else have a disk bike, and a non disk bike that they switch between?
    > >
    > > TJ Needing to slow down.
    > >

    > i think you just need to learn to ride!
    >
    > a V will lock both wheels just like a disk will. that's all it takes.

    trust me, assuming your skinny, gain lots of weight. about 225 lb total should do. find a nice long,
    smooth, very steep section and cruse down
    it. then come to a complete stop on the hill without endoing.

    On one hill, i managed to toast a new set of pads just maintaining a controllable speed down a hill.
    and yes, my rim was quite hot. not squirt water on it to make steam, like in the end of some of Pete
    F's vids, but hot enough to get a second to third degree burn if you touched the rim. (the next tube
    change was a bitch, tire was welded to the rim, and the tube had some deformed looking spots.)

    I now carry extra pads with me, just in case.

    So the point of this is, with a skinny rider under normal circumstances, Vs work fine, but given my
    weight and riding style, i would feel safer with disks.

    The LBS had a Kona HT frame with disk mounts that was being sold via private sale. owner wasn't
    there last time i was but i will see what he wants, and how much. that and get exact specs for it as
    i don't even know the model. only saw it briefly. gonna check again for a job too. the manager seems
    to be taking a liking to me so maybe if i keep asking he will find something for me to do. week end
    inventory or something perhaps, or maybe even offer to work as an assistant/apprentice wrench for
    minimum wage (to me says "i really want to work here, money is not the issue" so could make for a
    better chance).
    --
    ~Travis

  5. Joe Seamour

    Joe Seamour Guest

    "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > And they Charge a lot.
    >
    > I rode down a "Ribbon" of singletrack today with a friend riding my pig byke. I was on my HT that
    > still had these crappy brakes. Still being adapted to disk brakes. I proceded to blow just about
    > every corner there was. I spent more time kicking out my off trail tracks than riding. ( Don't
    > even think about flaming me for this. I spend more time kicking out barney marks than most spend
    > riding.) It is time to upgrade to a hardtail that has disk mounts, or just ride the pig bike
    > everywhere. Anyone else have a disk bike, and a non disk bike that they switch between?
    >
    > TJ Needing to slow down.

    User Error... Usually if I have an off day blaming it on the equipment to the people around me is
    enough to save my ego... I have not yet had the need to take it to the news groups...

    -js

  6. Tj

    Tj Guest

    "James Connell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > TJ wrote:
    > > And they Charge a lot.
    > >
    > > I rode down a "Ribbon" of singletrack today with a friend riding my pig byke. I was on my HT
    > > that still had these crappy brakes. Still being adapted to disk brakes. I proceded to blow just
    > > about every corner
    there
    > > was. I spent more time kicking out my off trail tracks than riding. ( Don't even think about
    > > flaming me for this. I spend more time kicking
    out
    > > barney marks than most spend riding.) It is time to upgrade to a
    hardtail
    > > that has disk mounts, or just ride the pig bike everywhere. Anyone else have a disk bike, and a
    > > non disk bike that they switch between?
    > >
    > > TJ Needing to slow down.
    > >

    > i think you just need to learn to ride!
    >
    > a V will lock both wheels just like a disk will. that's all it takes.

    " Learn to ride" Now thats funny.

    TJ

  7. Chris Snell

    Chris Snell Guest

    "James Connell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > TJ wrote:
    > > And they Charge a lot.
    > >
    > > I rode down a "Ribbon" of singletrack today with a friend riding
    my pig
    > > byke. I was on my HT that still had these crappy brakes. Still
    being
    > > adapted to disk brakes. I proceded to blow just about every
    corner there
    > > was. I spent more time kicking out my off trail tracks than
    riding. (
    > > Don't even think about flaming me for this. I spend more time
    kicking out
    > > barney marks than most spend riding.) It is time to upgrade to a
    hardtail
    > > that has disk mounts, or just ride the pig bike everywhere.
    Anyone else
    > > have a disk bike, and a non disk bike that they switch between?
    > >
    > > TJ Needing to slow down.
    > >

    > i think you just need to learn to ride!
    >
    > a V will lock both wheels just like a disk will. that's all it
    takes.

    In dry conditions, maybe, but not when wet, and especially not when cold and wet.

    - Chris.

  8. Chris Snell wrote:

    > "James Connell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>TJ wrote:
    >>
    >>>And they Charge a lot.
    >>>
    >>>I rode down a "Ribbon" of singletrack today with a friend riding
    >
    > my pig
    >
    >>>byke. I was on my HT that still had these crappy brakes. Still
    >
    > being
    >
    >>>adapted to disk brakes. I proceded to blow just about every
    >
    > corner there
    >
    >>>was. I spent more time kicking out my off trail tracks than
    >
    > riding. (
    >
    >>>Don't even think about flaming me for this. I spend more time
    >
    > kicking out
    >
    >>>barney marks than most spend riding.) It is time to upgrade to a
    >
    > hardtail
    >
    >>>that has disk mounts, or just ride the pig bike everywhere.
    >
    > Anyone else
    >
    >>>have a disk bike, and a non disk bike that they switch between?
    >>>
    >>>TJ Needing to slow down.
    >>>

    >>i think you just need to learn to ride!
    >>
    >>a V will lock both wheels just like a disk will. that's all it
    >
    > takes.
    >
    > In dry conditions, maybe, but not when wet, and especially not when cold and wet.
    >
    > - Chris.

    oh bullshit! i'm from oregon, they work fine there and you can't ride much wetter unless you wear
    scuba. only thing a disk does better is in real mud.

  9. Technician wrote:

    >>TJ wrote:
    >>
    >>>And they Charge a lot.
    >>>
    >>>I rode down a "Ribbon" of singletrack today with a friend riding my pig byke. I was on my HT that
    >>>still had these crappy brakes. Still being adapted to disk brakes. I proceded to blow just about
    >>>every corner there was. I spent more time kicking out my off trail tracks than riding. ( Don't
    >>>even think about flaming me for this. I spend more time kicking out barney marks than most spend
    >>>riding.) It is time to upgrade to a hardtail that has disk mounts, or just ride the pig bike
    >>>everywhere. Anyone else have a disk bike, and a non disk bike that they switch between?
    >>>
    >>>TJ Needing to slow down.
    >>>

    >>i think you just need to learn to ride!
    >>
    >>a V will lock both wheels just like a disk will. that's all it takes.
    >>

    > trust me, assuming your skinny, gain lots of weight. about 225 lb total should do. find a nice
    > long, smooth, very steep section and cruse down
    > it. then come to a complete stop on the hill without endoing.
    >
    > On one hill, i managed to toast a new set of pads just maintaining a controllable speed down a
    > hill. and yes, my rim was quite hot. not squirt water on it to make steam, like in the end of
    > some of Pete F's vids, but hot enough to get a second to third degree burn if you touched the
    > rim. (the next tube change was a bitch, tire was welded to the rim, and the tube had some
    > deformed looking spots.)
    >
    > I now carry extra pads with me, just in case.
    >
    > So the point of this is, with a skinny rider under normal circumstances, Vs work fine, but given
    > my weight and riding style, i would feel safer with disks.
    >
    > The LBS had a Kona HT frame with disk mounts that was being sold via private sale. owner wasn't
    > there last time i was but i will see what he wants, and how much. that and get exact specs for it
    > as i don't even know the model. only saw it briefly. gonna check again for a job too. the manager
    > seems to be taking a liking to me so maybe if i keep asking he will find something for me to do.
    > week end inventory or something perhaps, or maybe even offer to work as an assistant/apprentice
    > wrench for minimum wage (to me says "i really want to work here, money is not the issue" so could
    > make for a better chance).

    again - learn to ride. i weigh 240 and Vs work fine for me ( of course i don't use them much, people
    have flat asked me in races if i even have brakes)

  10. Tj

    Tj Guest

    "Joe Seamour" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > And they Charge a lot.
    > >
    > > I rode down a "Ribbon" of singletrack today with a friend riding my pig byke. I was on my HT
    > > that still had these crappy brakes. Still being adapted to disk brakes. I proceded to blow just
    > > about every corner
    there
    > > was. I spent more time kicking out my off trail tracks than riding. ( Don't even think about
    > > flaming me for this. I spend more time kicking
    out
    > > barney marks than most spend riding.) It is time to upgrade to a
    hardtail
    > > that has disk mounts, or just ride the pig bike everywhere. Anyone else have a disk bike, and a
    > > non disk bike that they switch between?
    > >
    > > TJ Needing to slow down.
    > >

    > User Error... Usually if I have an off day blaming it on the equipment to the people around me is
    > enough to save my ego... I have not yet had the
    need
    > to take it to the news groups...
    >
    > -js

    Yup! That is pretty much what I said in the post. Thanks for paraphrasing. Do you switch from V to
    disk often?

    TJ

  11. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > And they Charge a lot.
    >
    > I rode down a "Ribbon" of singletrack today with a friend riding my pig byke. I was on my HT that
    > still had these crappy brakes. Still being adapted to disk brakes. I proceded to blow just about
    > every corner there was. I spent more time kicking out my off trail tracks than riding. ( Don't
    > even think about flaming me for this. I spend more time kicking out barney marks than most spend
    > riding.) It is time to upgrade to a hardtail that has disk mounts, or just ride the pig bike
    > everywhere. Anyone else have a disk bike, and a non disk bike that they switch between?
    >
    > TJ Needing to slow down.

    Sounds like it's time to ride the wild pig.
    --
    Slacker - oink...oink

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    James Connell wrote:

    > oh bullshit! i'm from oregon, they work fine there and you can't ride much wetter unless you wear
    > scuba. only thing a disk does better is in real mud.

    V's and discs don't even compare. I'm running Avid Arch Rivals, which I believe are pretty well
    respected, and after a stream crossing followed by a descent, had to do the old bmxers trick of
    sticking my foot in the rear wheel to slow down. That's the worst occasion, but I'm frequently
    unimpressed with V's. A decent set of Hopes blows them out the water.

  13. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > - Chris.
    > >
    > oh bullshit! i'm from oregon, they work fine there and you can't ride much wetter unless you wear
    > scuba. only thing a disk does better is in real mud.

    I have a couple of tacoed rear wheels from guys who say their v-brakes work as well as my disks.
    Maybe they only work when you're fast enough to be out front.
    --
    _________________________

  14. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > - Chris.
    > > >
    > > oh bullshit! i'm from oregon, they work fine there and you can't ride much wetter unless you
    > > wear scuba. only thing a disk does better is in real mud.
    > >

    > I have a couple of tacoed rear wheels from guys who say their v-brakes work as well as my disks.
    > Maybe they only work when you're fast enough to be out front.
    > --
    > _________________________
    > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com

    I switched to disks on the front because my V-brakes stopped too poorly in the rain. I literally did
    not stop -- I just slowed down. I'm happier now.

    --
    Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

  15. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, James Connell wrote:

    > again - learn to ride. i weigh 240 and Vs work fine for me ( of course i don't use them much,
    > people have flat asked me in races if i even have brakes)

    Spoken like someone that's never had to switch back.

    Sure, when you're used to the mushiness of V-brakes, you can account for it. However, I bet that if
    you put cantis on your bike, you'd have a hard time stopping right now, despite the fact that a
    well set up pair of cantis has the same stopping power as V-brakes, and can theoretically lock up
    the wheel.

    There's a BIG difference, no matter the conditions. Ride discs for a year and switch back. You won't
    be singing the same song.

    JS

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

  16. Jan Sacharuk wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, James Connell wrote:
    >

    >>again - learn to ride. i weigh 240 and Vs work fine for me ( of course i don't use them much,
    >>people have flat asked me in races if i even have brakes)
    >

    > Spoken like someone that's never had to switch back.
    >
    > Sure, when you're used to the mushiness of V-brakes, you can account for it. However, I bet that
    > if you put cantis on your bike, you'd have a hard time stopping right now, despite the fact that a
    > well set up pair of cantis has the same stopping power as V-brakes, and can theoretically lock up
    > the wheel.
    >
    > There's a BIG difference, no matter the conditions. Ride discs for a year and switch back. You
    > won't be singing the same song.
    >
    > JS

    learn to ride! let go of the brakes till the turn, come as close to lockup of both wheels till your
    speed is right, then turn the bike, repeat. simple.

    Oh BTW i have used cantis and they work well too. you suckers are spoiled!

  17. > learn to ride! let go of the brakes till the turn, come as close to lockup of both wheels till
    > your speed is right, then turn the bike, repeat. simple.
    >
    > Oh BTW i have used cantis and they work well too. you suckers are spoiled!

    Wait until 2 seconds after the V-brake guy has begun to brake, pass his ass, then begin to brake,
    still make the turn. Repeat. simple.
    --
    _________________________

  18. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > > learn to ride! let go of the brakes till the turn, come as close to lockup of both wheels till
    > > your speed is right, then turn the bike, repeat. simple.
    > >
    > > Oh BTW i have used cantis and they work well too. you suckers are spoiled!
    > >

    > Wait until 2 seconds after the V-brake guy has begun to brake, pass his ass, then begin to brake,
    > still make the turn. Repeat. simple.
    > --
    > _________________________
    > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia

    Lol....excellent!!!!

    Trick 2: ride in front of V-brake sucker and speed up as you approach turn, luring said sucker into
    a false sense of security. Slam the front disc hard, let go, easily make the turn and listen to the
    carnage behind you.....hehehe...my favorite.

    --
    Slacker

  19. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Most Shimano brake pads suck. That why I use Kool Stop Thinline. I do have a set of Shimano XTR
    inserts thats on a Hybred I ride road every day to work. Their great wet or dry. The only reason I
    went XTR , LBS was out of Kool Stop Thinline and I needed pads badly.

    Fire up MTB 03

  20. Chris Phillipo wrote:

    >>learn to ride! let go of the brakes till the turn, come as close to lockup of both wheels till
    >>your speed is right, then turn the bike, repeat. simple.
    >>
    >>Oh BTW i have used cantis and they work well too. you suckers are spoiled!
    >>

    > Wait until 2 seconds after the V-brake guy has begun to brake, pass his ass, then begin to brake,
    > still make the turn. Repeat. simple.

    so your telling me a disk brake bike stops faster whith a locked front wheel then a V brake with a
    locked front wheel? you poor fools. it's becoming more obvious all the time none of you bench
    racers can ride.