Shimano V-brakes suck!!

Slacker wrote:
>>>learn to ride! let go of the brakes till the turn, come as close to lockup of both wheels till
>>>your speed is right, then turn the bike, repeat. simple.
>>>
>>>Oh BTW i have used cantis and they work well too. you suckers are spoiled!
>>>

>>Wait until 2 seconds after the V-brake guy has begun to brake, pass his ass, then begin to brake,
>>still make the turn. Repeat. simple.
>>--
>>_________________________
>>Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
>

> Lol....excellent!!!!
>
> Trick 2: ride in front of V-brake sucker and speed up as you approach turn, luring said sucker
> into a false sense of security. Slam the front disc hard, let go, easily make the turn and listen
> to the carnage behind you.....hehehe...my favorite.

wouldn't work, i'd just use You as a burm and you go highside.

as i'v said as long as the brakes can lock the wheels it is what *tires* you have that matter not
the type of brake - of course you need to be able to ride.

On Tue, 27 May 2003 12:45:31 -0800, James Connell <[email protected]> wrote:

>Chris Phillipo wrote:
>
>>>learn to ride! let go of the brakes till the turn, come as close to lockup of both wheels till
>>>your speed is right, then turn the bike, repeat. simple.
>>>
>>>Oh BTW i have used cantis and they work well too. you suckers are spoiled!
>>>

>> Wait until 2 seconds after the V-brake guy has begun to brake, pass his ass, then begin to brake,
>> still make the turn. Repeat. simple.
>
>so your telling me a disk brake bike stops faster whith a locked front wheel then a V brake with a
>locked front wheel? you poor fools. it's becoming more obvious all the time none of you bench
>racers can ride.

It's much easier to threshold brake a disc brake because they are more easilly modulated. V-brakes
are much more on/off when compared to the discs that I've used.

Neither tire is braking well if they are locked, obviously. I'm not seeing anyone making this claim:

"so your telling me a disk brake bike stops faster whith a locked front wheel then a V brake with a
locked front wheel."

> >>Wait until 2 seconds after the V-brake guy has begun to brake, pass his ass, then begin to
> >>brake, still make the turn. Repeat. simple.
> >>--
> >>_________________________
> >>Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> >

> > Lol....excellent!!!!
> >
> > Trick 2: ride in front of V-brake sucker and speed up as you approach turn, luring said sucker
> > into a false sense of security.
Slam
> > the front disc hard, let go, easily make the turn and listen to the carnage behind
> > you.....hehehe...my favorite.
> >

> wouldn't work, i'd just use You as a burm and you go highside.
>
> as i'v said as long as the brakes can lock the wheels it is what *tires* you have that matter not
> the type of brake - of course you need to be able to ride.

That would be one big ass burm; You might crack a tooth or something on it.

I will agree with you on the tire selection being crucial.
--
Slacker

TJ wrote:
> And they Charge a lot.
>
> I rode down a "Ribbon" of singletrack today with a friend riding my pig byke. I was on my HT that
> still had these crappy brakes. Still being adapted to disk brakes. I proceded to blow just about
> every corner there was. I spent more time kicking out my off trail tracks than riding. ( Don't
> even think about flaming me for this. I spend more time kicking out barney marks than most spend
> riding.) It is time to upgrade to a hardtail that has disk mounts, or just ride the pig bike
> everywhere. Anyone else have a disk bike, and a non disk bike that they switch between?
>
> TJ Needing to slow down.

I just switched back to v's because i wasn't impressed with discs. They clearly have more modulation
and a more linear feel (I suppose because fewer parts are flexing/stretching) but it's nothing that
can't be duplicated on v's without practice. I thought they were a lot more finicky too, what with
bleeding, sqealing, rubbing, et al. Other than keeping rims clean and true v's are pretty much
maintenance free.

They feel nicer but I can't didn't see any performance advantage for the
type of riding that i'm doing (cc, trials, slow ultra technial trails).

P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote

> James Connell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Chris Phillipo wrote:
> >
> > [...blah blah V brakes blah...]
>
> [...blah blah disks blah...]

[...blah blah...]

Tubeless tires suck.

CC

P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 May 2003 12:45:31 -0800, James Connell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Chris Phillipo wrote:
>>
>>> Wait until 2 seconds after the V-brake guy has begun to brake, pass his ass, then begin to
>>> brake, still make the turn. Repeat. simple.
>>
>>so your telling me a disk brake bike stops faster whith a locked front wheel then a V brake with a
>>locked front wheel? you poor fools. it's becoming more obvious all the time none of you bench
>>racers can ride.
>
>It's much easier to threshold brake a disc brake because they are more easilly modulated. V-brakes
>are much more on/off when compared to the discs that I've used.

This is the reason I prefer my old Ritchey cantis to my current V-brakes (better modulation), but
I'd have to say that you're not going to delay braking for two seconds into a corner over someone
who knows how to ride V-brakes. We're talking about MTBs, not racing motorcycles.

On Tue, 27 May 2003 16:25:53 -0500, **** wrote:

> I just switched back to v's because i wasn't impressed with discs.

Geez, dude, don't you know its against the LAW to be unimpressed with discs? And here you posted it
for the world to see. You're in deep sh*t now!

Sheez, some people..

> I just switched back to v's because i wasn't impressed with discs.

Damn boy, if you didn't like disks, send them to me. ;-)

But seriously, you are bordering the line of Troll here (if not already crossed it).

If you don't like disk brakes, it is your opinion. it does not mean the rest of us need to learn to
ride. enjoy your V-brakes. if you like them best for your riding style, then more power to you, but
don't try and tell people that they can't ride just because they use disks.
--
~Travis

"James Connell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Chris Snell wrote:

> > my pig

> > being

> > corner there

> > riding. (

> > kicking out

> > hardtail

> > Anyone else

> >>i think you just need to learn to ride!
> >>
> >>a V will lock both wheels just like a disk will. that's all it
> >
> > takes.
> >
> > In dry conditions, maybe, but not when wet, and especially not
when
> > cold and wet.
> >
> > - Chris.
> >
> oh ********! i'm from oregon, they work fine there and you can't
ride
> much wetter unless you wear scuba. only thing a disk does better is
in
> real mud.

Nope, sorry bud, youz wrong. When the temp is cold enough to cause the wet to freeze on the rim, it
can take several revolutions to melt it off. Disc brakes, higher heat, faster melt. Plus the disc is
further from the wet to begin with. Riding in freezing conditions with rim brakes is, er, exciting.

And locking a wheel equals less control. I'll give you this: in Oregon, the volcanic rock is
typically less slippery when wet than here in the east, so locking isn't as detrimental, but you try
that sh_t here, you can find yourself in a world of hurt pretty quick.

- Chris.

Technician <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I just switched back to v's because i wasn't impressed with discs.
>
>Damn boy, if you didn't like disks, send them to me. ;-)
>
>But seriously, you are bordering the line of Troll here (if not already crossed it).

I doubt it's a troll.

Remember that the transition FROM V-brakes TO discs is exactly the opposite of the transition TO
V-brakes FROM cantis.

Long ago (if we knew how to set them up), we had brakes with great modulation and plenty of power.

Then suddenly a new, "vastly improved" brake arrived. While it used to take a good squeeze with a
couple fingers to lock up the front wheel, now you could do it with one finger. Just like the power
brakes in my dad's '65 Oldsmobile. Wow.

And now, we discover that it's really NOT a good thing to be able to endo with a one finger, and
that "power brakes" aren't really a good idea. But let's not go back to cantis - they're too light,
errrr, too cheap, errr - old fashioned. Let's go to a new brake that weighs more, costs more, and
requires us all to buy new forks and frames.

Yes, I'm being a bit facetious - discs DO have advantages, and the new generation are getting the
weight and drag down nicely... but there's no denying that once again we've come "full circle" (much
like we did with riser bars).

Technician wrote:
>>I just switched back to v's because i wasn't impressed with discs.
>

> Damn boy, if you didn't like disks, send them to me. ;-)

I actually made a profit selling them on ebay!

> But seriously, you are bordering the line of Troll here (if not already crossed it).

It wasn't meant to be a troll at all. I was totally sucked in by the disc hype and just wanted to
show that it is possible to climb back out if they don't work out for you.

> If you don't like disk brakes, it is your opinion. it does not mean the rest of us need to learn
> to ride. enjoy your V-brakes. if you like them best for your riding style, then more power to you,
> but don't try and tell people that they can't ride just because they use disks.

I didn't even imply that!

People can ride whatever they like and for some folks discs are the only way to go. More
power to em.

Hrumph!

BB wrote:

> On Tue, 27 May 2003 16:25:53 -0500, **** wrote:
>

>>I just switched back to v's because i wasn't impressed with discs.
>

> Geez, dude, don't you know its against the LAW to be unimpressed with discs? And here you posted
> it for the world to see. You're in deep sh*t now!

Yea, I'm worried the fashion police are going to show up at my door any minute;)

> Sheez, some people..

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "James Connell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > TJ wrote:
> > > And they Charge a lot.
> > >
> > > I rode down a "Ribbon" of singletrack today with a friend riding my pig byke. I was on my HT
> > > that still had these crappy brakes. Still being adapted to disk brakes. I proceded to blow
> > > just about every corner
> there
> > > was. I spent more time kicking out my off trail tracks than riding. ( Don't even think about
> > > flaming me for this. I spend more time kicking
> out
> > > barney marks than most spend riding.) It is time to upgrade to a
> hardtail
> > > that has disk mounts, or just ride the pig bike everywhere. Anyone else have a disk bike, and
> > > a non disk bike that they switch between?
> > >
> > > TJ Needing to slow down.
> > >

> > i think you just need to learn to ride!
> >
> > a V will lock both wheels just like a disk will. that's all it takes.
> >
> " Learn to ride" Now thats funny.

Yeah TJ, you barney. Learn to ride. Can't you see that this connell dude knows it all and can watch
you ride with his virtual psychic powers? Besides that, from what he says, he's probably faster than
anyone on this NG.

JD

James Connell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> again - learn to ride. i weigh 240 and Vs work fine for me ( of course i don't use them much,
> people have flat asked me in races if i even have brakes)

Holy ****! Can I have your autograph?

JD

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> And they Charge a lot.
>
> I rode down a "Ribbon" of singletrack today with a friend riding my pig byke. I was on my HT that
> still had these crappy brakes. Still being adapted to disk brakes. I proceded to blow just about
> every corner there was. I spent more time kicking out my off trail tracks than riding. ( Don't
> even think about flaming me for this. I spend more time kicking out barney marks than most spend
> riding.)

You goofball. Just ride the HT more often.

> It is time to upgrade to a hardtail that has disk mounts, or just ride the pig bike everywhere.

Go Avid on the front only.

> Anyone else have a disk bike, and a non disk bike that they switch between?

Nope, dunno anyone like that.

JDisc

> <snip satanic ritual>
>
> You're really pushin' it there, laddie.
>
> JD

If the weather holds up, I might do a mountain bike ride as pennance today. Still waiting for parts
for the HypeCycle, or I wouldn't even be touching the road bike ;)

Jon Bond

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> And they Charge a lot.
>
> I rode down a "Ribbon" of singletrack today with a friend riding my pig byke. I was on my HT that
> still had these crappy brakes. Still being adapted to disk brakes. I proceded to blow just about
> every corner there was. I spent more time kicking out my off trail tracks than riding. ( Don't
> even think about flaming me for this. I spend more time kicking out barney marks than most spend
> riding.) It is time to upgrade to a hardtail that has disk mounts, or just ride the pig bike
> everywhere. Anyone else have a disk bike, and a non disk bike that they switch between?
>
> TJ Needing to slow down.

I should in a couple weeks, assuming I ever actually get disc wheels and the rest of the parts I
need for my bike. I'll do a side-by-side comparison once I burn the discs in. They're shimano XT
disc brakes (hey, they were supercheap, if I absolutely despise 'em I'll sell them and get some
minis or louise SLs or something) and Avid Arch Rival 50 V's.

Jon Bond

> James Connell <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > again - learn to ride. i weigh 240 and Vs work fine for me ( of course i don't use them much,
> > people have flat asked me in races if i even have brakes)
>
> Holy ****! Can I have your autograph?
>
> JD

I've got one on ebay right now. Current bid is $666.66 . Listed under the

Jon Bond 135 and like discs better, even though my current ride is V's. Not that discs would make
much difference right now, my tires are shot :)

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > > Trick 2: ride in front of V-brake sucker and speed up as you
approach turn, luring said sucker into a false sense of security. Slam
> > > the front disc hard, let go, easily make the turn and listen to
the carnage behind you.....hehehe...my favorite.

> > wouldn't work, i'd just use You as a burm and you go highside.
> >

> Hence the tacoed rear wheels I mentioned before, except they used me
as
> a wall and went highside, of the handlebars.
> > as i'v said as long as the brakes can lock the wheels it is what
*tires*
> > you have that matter not the type of brake - of course you need to
be
> > able to ride.
>
> I had a set of Speed dials set in the highest leverage position,
they
> could lock both wheels with one finger, couldn't stop the bike worth
> damn. The first time I rode them I tried for about 100ft to stop on
wet
> grass until I ran out of field and crashed. Locking the wheel is a stupid thing to do and brakes
> that allow you to do nothing but lock
the
> wheel are about as useful as a hockey stick in the spokes.
> --
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com
Hey Chris, a hockey stick in the spokes is a good thing! Cause when all the crashing is said and
done...you've still got a hockey stick!
- Chris too.