Simoni talking it up - can he win the Giro ?

Rolfrae said:
I'd forgotten about Jose Rujano (now riding for Caisse). Gibo's team boss reckons the wee man would be unbeatable if he could get his act together. Could be some real great climbing battles with him, Gibo, Soler, Piepoli and Ricco.
Rujano only rides well when mega juiced

thunder said:
Rujano only rides well when mega juiced

McGee is riding as well. He got 8th at the Giro clean in the mass doping days. Not a shot this year but would like to see him train again for Grand Tours.

thunder said:
Serramenti Selle Italia Colombia, talented dopers, dont know why Gibo went there if he is anti dope.
I don't think Gibo was or is anti-dope. He may be anti-tranfusion and he's certainly anti being doped to the gills and rubbing it in your competitors faces.

whiteboytrash said:
Gibo is talking it up saying that he will bust balls and take DiLuca in the Giro and that Cuengo is a piece of ****.... I think actually think in a dope free Giro he can win.... like I mean who else is there ?
I hope so, but Simoni is getting up there in age, like way up there for a GC contender.

Savoldelli will probably find the mountains too hard, but DiLuca will likely be juiced to the eyeballs again. Maybe DiLuca will get things wrong like he did in 2006...

I think I would bet on Simoni finishing in third place.

whiteboytrash said:
is Tommy D riding ?
He will probably be riding support for Lowe but still having thoughts about winning the race for himself. It seems to be a pattern for him at the Giro.

Bro Deal said:
He will probably be riding support for Lowe but still having thoughts about winning the race for himself. It seems to be a pattern for him at the Giro.
no way, Lowe will not be riding for himself. They might all get freedom, but TD has shown he can top 10 in a GT. Albeit, TD was doing some Disco boosting.

thunder said:
no way, Lowe will not be riding for himself. They might all get freedom, but TD has shown he can top 10 in a GT. Albeit, TD was doing some Disco boosting.
If Tommy D. were healthy I would say he places in the top five. His condition and the state of his back is unknown at this point. It's obvious he was riding support for Lowe at TdG. He did lose twenty seconds on the queen stage. Maybe he is back on track, but I doubt it.

Slipstream will be going for stage victories to justify their invitation, but they also will want someone in contention for GC for at least part of the race. Who else besides Lowe and a shaky TD have they got to rely on for that?

Bro Deal said:
If Tommy D. were healthy I would say he places in the top five. His condition and the state of his back is unknown at this point. It's obvious he was riding support for Lowe at TdG. He did lose twenty seconds on the queen stage. Maybe he is back on track, but I doubt it.
tommy D might be held back for the Tour.

ATM Hesjedal is in the bubble, Sutton and Maaskant got those places. Surprised to see no Sutton at Giro, Vaughters must like him for the Tour.

thunder said:
tommy D might be held back for the Tour.
Maybe...then again TD might be battling it out with Hamilton at Qinghai Lake. :)

Tommy D. should have joined CSC. They could put him through one of their survival camps and toughen him up.

Bro Deal said:
Maybe...then again TD might be battling it out with Hamilton at Qinghai Lake. :)

Tommy D. should have joined CSC. They could put him through one of their survival camps and toughen him up.
and doping programs

Bro Deal said:

Slipstream will be going for stage victories to justify their invitation, but they also will want someone in contention for GC for at least part of the race. Who else besides Lowe and a shaky TD have they got to rely on for that?

Vendevelde is going well this year, but won't be able to hang with the elite climbers. And he may want to keep some reserves for France.

kennf said:
Vendevelde is going well this year, but won't be able to hang with the elite climbers. And he may want to keep some reserves for France.
Vaughters likes VDV for a top 10, @leTour

whiteboytrash said:
Good to see Simoni keeping good company on a recon mission to Plan de Corones..... farking DiLuca ! and whats Solar doing there ?
He's there to make everyone else look more stylish on the bike and handsome.

classic1 said:
He's there to make everyone else look more stylish on the bike and handsome.

He may actually be skinner than Mayo, or the Chicken.

earth_dweller said:
So Simoni takes issue with Basso but as no problems with DiLuca... yeah right
I'll say it again, Simoni's problem with Basso had very little to do with doping per se. The notion that any of those guys coming up thru Italian cycling and getting to the he top of the sport, were or probably are clean, is pure fantasy.