Slightly OT: News Reader

Walney

Guest
Does anybody know of a decent, free, news reader which would filter
out the ridiculous plethora of spam which is swamping this newsgroup?

TIA

In news:[email protected],
Walney <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> Does anybody know of a decent, free, news reader which would filter
> out the ridiculous plethora of spam which is swamping this newsgroup?

Gravity allows one to filter on the body of the message as well as the
headers.

http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

--
Dave Larrington
Nicht in die laufende Trommel greifen.

Walney wrote:
> Does anybody know of a decent, free, news reader which would filter
> out the ridiculous plethora of spam which is swamping this newsgroup?
>
> TIA

I went for NewsProxy following advice from this group. I have it sat
between Thunderbird and a news server (news.individual.net - which, in
itself, also removes a lot of spam).

Graham

--
aghillo.blogspot.com <http://aghillo.blogspot.com/>

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 03:56:08 -0700 (PDT), Walney wrote:

> Does anybody know of a decent, free, news reader which would filter
> out the ridiculous plethora of spam which is swamping this newsgroup?

I'm using :

!delete Subject "Watch" "prada" "Wholesale" +@Message-ID:"googlegroups"

in dialog at present (http://www.40tude.com/dialog/)

Kind of a middle of the road filter I can alter, either that or its dump
everything from google time again.

Steve

On 07/04/2008 15:19, Steve said,

> Kind of a middle of the road filter I can alter, either that or its dump
> everything from google time again.

At the moment I'm deleting anything from googlegroups or gmail (with a
few other filters). Sorry if anyone genuine is using them, but the
spammers are making your choice unusable! Google really do need to
address the issue of their servers being used to distribute spam, but
I've seen nothing to suggest they are doing anything.

(Thunderbird + NewsProxy aka nfilter)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Try Aioe.org, public news server. It has no spamming messages.

RD

"Paul Boyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 07/04/2008 15:19, Steve said,
>
>> Kind of a middle of the road filter I can alter, either that or its dump
>> everything from google time again.

> At the moment I'm deleting anything from googlegroups or gmail (with a few
> other filters). Sorry if anyone genuine is using them, but the spammers
> are making your choice unusable! Google really do need to address the
> issue of their servers being used to distribute spam, but I've seen
> nothing to suggest they are doing anything.
>
> (Thunderbird + NewsProxy aka nfilter)
>
> --
> Paul Boyd
> http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"Walney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anybody know of a decent, free, news reader which would filter
> out the ridiculous plethora of spam which is swamping this newsgroup?
>
> TIA

Interesting use of the word "plethora" with its proper meaning of
"unpleasant excess".

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:26:43 +0100, Paul Boyd <[email protected]>
wrote:

>At the moment I'm deleting anything from googlegroups or gmail (with a
>few other filters). Sorry if anyone genuine is using them, but the
>spammers are making your choice unusable!

Indeed - the risk of their contributions no longer being read is
something posters who insist on using the Google interface, instead of
a proper NNTP newsreader, should bear in mind.

>Google really do need to
>address the issue of their servers being used to distribute spam, but
>I've seen nothing to suggest they are doing anything.

Google has become Usenet's Cloaca Maxima.

fred2 wrote:
> "RD" <raydar1remove [email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Try Aioe.org, public news server. It has no spamming messages.
>>

> You are right - so far none!

There are very few, but sometimes other messages are dropped, especially
the 1st one in a fred. Otherwise its good for free - bin hfring it for a
while.

--
JimP
aioe u jimmy.

In article <[email protected]>, Geoff Pearson
[email protected] says...

> Interesting use of the word "plethora" with its proper meaning of
> "unpleasant excess".

An excess is too much of something - if it was good it wouldn't be
excessive, so there's really no need for the 'unpleasant', is there?

Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:26:43 +0100, Paul Boyd <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >At the moment I'm deleting anything from googlegroups or gmail (with a
> >few other filters). Sorry if anyone genuine is using them, but the
> >spammers are making your choice unusable!

> Indeed - the risk of their contributions no longer being read is
> something posters who insist on using the Google interface, instead of
> a proper NNTP newsreader, should bear in mind.

true, this said most newbies etc use it, which is also why it's the
spammers tool of choice.

> >Google really do need to
> >address the issue of their servers being used to distribute spam, but
> >I've seen nothing to suggest they are doing anything.

> Google has become Usenet's Cloaca Maxima.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Rob Morley writtificated

>> Interesting use of the word "plethora" with its proper meaning of
>> "unpleasant excess".
>>

> An excess is too much of something - if it was good it wouldn't be
> excessive, so there's really no need for the 'unpleasant', is there?

You can have too much of something without it being unpleasant. Ice
cream, beer and pies spring to mind. That said, *way* too much of any
of those and the effects can be very unpleasant indeed.

Mark T wrote:
> Rob Morley writtificated
>
>>> Interesting use of the word "plethora" with its proper meaning of
>>> "unpleasant excess".
>>>

>> An excess is too much of something - if it was good it wouldn't be
>> excessive, so there's really no need for the 'unpleasant', is there?

> You can have too much of something without it being unpleasant. Ice
> cream, beer and pies spring to mind. That said, *way* too much of any
> of those and the effects can be very unpleasant indeed.

Along these lines are 'enough' and 'sufficient' - sufficient cake is
very rarely enough...

Graham

--

RD wrote:
> Try Aioe.org, public news server. It has no spamming messages.
>
> RD

I am having problems and wonder if one of you that understand these
things might take pity .
I have tried to set up aioe.org on thunderbird and failed.Could someone
give instructions please.The instruction on the aioe site is nowhere
near detailed enough for me, unless I found the wrong page.
At present I am using news.btinternet and trying to use the filter with
limited success.
TerryJ

Slark said the following on 08/04/2008 11:29:

> Along these lines are 'enough' and 'sufficient' - sufficient cake is
> very rarely enough...

Isn't "sufficient cake" an oxymoron? :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

TerryJ writtificated

> The instruction on the aioe site is nowhere
> near detailed enough for me, unless I found the wrong page.

Wots the link?

Mark T wrote:
> TerryJ writtificated
>
>> The instruction on the aioe site is nowhere
>> near detailed enough for me, unless I found the wrong page.

> Wots the link?

thanks for replying, in the meantime I found what I needed which is the
address of the newsserver:
nntp.aioe.org

So I have just set it up, and THERE IS NO SPAM! HOORAH.
TerryJ

In article <[email protected]>, Mark T
pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid
says...
> Rob Morley writtificated
>
> >> Interesting use of the word "plethora" with its proper meaning of
> >> "unpleasant excess".
> >>

> > An excess is too much of something - if it was good it wouldn't be
> > excessive, so there's really no need for the 'unpleasant', is there?

> You can have too much of something without it being unpleasant. Ice
> cream, beer and pies spring to mind.

If it's not unpleasant (and doesn't have unpleasant consequences) then
it's not too much.

> That said, *way* too much of any
> of those and the effects can be very unpleasant indeed.

That's not "way too much", it's just too much.

TerryJ formulated on Tuesday :
> RD wrote:
>> Try Aioe.org, public news server. It has no spamming messages.
>>
>> RD
>>

> I am having problems and wonder if one of you that understand these things
> might take pity .
> I have tried to set up aioe.org on thunderbird and failed.Could someone give
> instructions please.The instruction on the aioe site is nowhere near detailed
> enough for me, unless I found the wrong page.

It shouldn't be difficult, because Aioe doesn't require authentication.
The server address is nntp.aioe.org, and the port is 119. There is no
username or password, as I say.

Sorry, I've never used Thunderbird, so I can't comment on specifics.

--
Simon