Snapped Rear Dérailleur

Andrew Priest

Guest
G'day

On my run from Joondalup to Fremantle yesterday evening I managed to
snap off completely my rear dérailleur and lost my quick release chain
link. Not 100% sure what happened but was coming up a short steep hill
and I think I had just changed down a gear as there was a dad and his
kid to get around while still putting on pressure for the climb.

Anyway the whole (dérailleur) snapped and then the chain popped a
link. Ruined my best ride so far and my plans to get my first 50 km
ride in. Was flying to (well relatively).

Off to the lbs this morning for a chat, I mean grovel, to see if I can
get warranty on it.

Photos of the dérailleur at
<http://aushiker.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=162> and then go to
last three.

Thanks
Andrew
-----
Churchlands, Western Australia
Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
http://aushiker.com http://backpackgeartest.org http://geocaching.com.au

Andrew Priest wrote:
> G'day
>
> On my run from Joondalup to Fremantle yesterday evening I managed to
> snap off completely my rear dérailleur and lost my quick release chain
> link. Not 100% sure what happened but was coming up a short steep hill
> and I think I had just changed down a gear as there was a dad and his
> kid to get around while still putting on pressure for the climb.
>
> Anyway the whole (dérailleur) snapped and then the chain popped a
> link. Ruined my best ride so far and my plans to get my first 50 km
> ride in. Was flying to (well relatively).
>
> Off to the lbs this morning for a chat, I mean grovel, to see if I can
> get warranty on it.
>
> Photos of the dérailleur at
> <http://aushiker.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=162> and then go to
> last three.
>

> Thanks
> Andrew
> -----
> Churchlands, Western Australia
> Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
> http://aushiker.com http://backpackgeartest.org http://geocaching.com.au

My guess would be that you lost the chain link first which then
jammed in the dérailleur causing the damage. From the photos it
appears that you've also snapped off the hanger from your frame -
that might be more of an issue as I don't know that replacements
are that easy to come by.

If the chain failed first then it is likely it was faulty (unless
it was extremely worn).

Good luck.

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

On 2007-08-22, DeF <""> wrote:
> Andrew Priest wrote:

>> Photos of the dérailleur at
>> <http://aushiker.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=162> and then go to
>> last three.
>>

>> Thanks Andrew

> From the photos it appears that you've also snapped off the hanger
> from your frame - that might be more of an issue as I don't know that
> replacements are that easy to come by.

Any bike good bike store should be able to get one in, IIRC Wheels
Manafacturing is the maker and they do replacement hangers for just
about anything.

It helps if you can bring the original in as the catalogue has full size
photo to match against.

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:56:56 +0800, DeF <""d.farrow\"@your
finger.murdoch.edu.au"> wrote:

>My guess would be that you lost the chain link first which then
>jammed in the dérailleur causing the damage. From the photos it
>appears that you've also snapped off the hanger from your frame -
>that might be more of an issue as I don't know that replacements
>are that easy to come by.
>
>If the chain failed first then it is likely it was faulty (unless
>it was extremely worn).

Bike is two months old. Had a connex (?) quick release link which was
installed by Fleet Cycles at the time of purchase. Fleet Cycles also
serviced the bike last Friday.

According to them it was my fault and I have to pay for the repair ...
around $200 I believe.

Regards
Andrew
-----

Andrew Priest wrote:

> G'day
>
> On my run from Joondalup to Fremantle yesterday evening I managed to
> snap off completely my rear dérailleur and lost my quick release chain
> link. Not 100% sure what happened but was coming up a short steep hill
> and I think I had just changed down a gear as there was a dad and his
> kid to get around while still putting on pressure for the climb.
>
> Anyway the whole (dérailleur) snapped and then the chain popped a
> link. Ruined my best ride so far and my plans to get my first 50 km
> ride in. Was flying to (well relatively).
>
> Off to the lbs this morning for a chat, I mean grovel, to see if I can
> get warranty on it.

When I was about 17, while I was honking up a hill, a cloth I had
stuffed under the old sagging saddle seat fell out
and down onto the bottom of the chain.
It was pulled into the 4 speed deraileur, where it jammed, and being
oblivious to it,
and a strong 17 yr old, I wrenched the whole business to peices in one
pedal stroke.
So much for "new unbreakable nylon mouldings", 1960s style.

I don't recall how I got home.
Maybe I left the chain running with a big dangling loose loop,
but home I did get.

There was no warranty cover.

Someone stole the bike later......

I went on to motorcycles...

**** happens, right?

20 years later I returned to cycling,
and now after 110,000 km, I've never stuffed a deraileur,
or broken a chain, or needed to insert a few new links
after breaking any. I must have thrown out maybe 25 chains
after wearing them out.

But you can remove the deraileur, or tape it up out of the way,
and alter chain length with a chain breaker tool to suit one medium low
gear.
This way you get home, or to where there is help.
You get very grubby fingers!

I always replace a chain and maybe the rear cogs
if the chain starts to get noisy, ie, you get "crinkly sounds"
from below which is the chain fudging into positions while stretched
around
cogs which it no longer fits properly.
Often you'll find that when a chain is worn, and about ready for the
bin,
its grown a link longer when held tight against a brand new chain.

The rear cog teeth begin getting a hooked shape, and the centre to
centre distance
of where links bear change away from the original spec, and a new chain
shouldn't be fitted to an old set of gears, as it may be noisy,
annoying,
and the chain will wear and stretch rapidly.

From what I can see, the Shimano cassette gears or cluster gears
don't have the lasting power of the gears I could buy 20 years ago,
but in real terms most parts are cheaper now for bikes, courtesy
of the slave labour in China.

Chains are much better than shaft drive, unless you're on a BMW.

Patrick Turner.

On 2007-08-22, Andrew Priest <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:56:56 +0800, DeF <""d.farrow\"@your
> finger.murdoch.edu.au"> wrote:
>
> Bike is two months old. Had a connex (?) quick release link which was
> installed by Fleet Cycles at the time of purchase. Fleet Cycles also
> serviced the bike last Friday.
>
> According to them it was my fault and I have to pay for the repair ...
> around $200 I believe.

********!

You were riding the bike in the manner it was designed to be ridden when
a component failed catastrphically, only days after the bike was
serviced, either whatever failed first was faultly, and should be
covered by warranty or Fleet Cycles set something up incorrectly causing
the failure.

Unless there's obvious evidence that someone else has worked on the bike
or it has been ridden in an abusive manner any good LBS should accept
fault here and repair this free of charge.

Cheers

Joel
--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes
(03) 9029 6504 | Bicycle reuse centre
www.humanpowered.com.au | Mechanical and on-road training and instruction

On 22 Aug 2007 22:27:08 GMT, Joel Mayes <[email protected]>
wrote:

>********!
>
>You were riding the bike in the manner it was designed to be ridden when
>a component failed catastrphically, only days after the bike was
>serviced, either whatever failed first was faultly, and should be
>covered by warranty or Fleet Cycles set something up incorrectly causing
>the failure.
>
>Unless there's obvious evidence that someone else has worked on the bike
>or it has been ridden in an abusive manner any good LBS should accept
>fault here and repair this free of charge.

Hi Joel

Yep. We have had this same discussion at
http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2597

As far as Fleet Cycles are concerned it is all my problem, end of
story.

Part of the problem is that I am new to cycling and really still
learning it all, so not in a strong position to argue my case.
Basically don't know enough to filter out the rubbish being feed to
me.

That said I am picking the bike up on Friday and then taking the
matter up with the Department of Employment and Consumer Protection.
Fleet Cycles can deal with them.

They reckon it was caused by a mis-shift downwards by me. Interesting
that the Giant manual says this is caused by a "misadjusted (sic)
deraileur." Something Fleet Cycles should have adjusted correctly on
Friday I would have thought.

At the end of the day Fleet Cycles have done it for me, I will not go
back to them, the planned furture purchases will be with other bike
shops.

This is the second hassle with Fleet Cycles I have had. They didn't
set the bike up properly when I purchased. Had to go back in to the
shop within a week of purchase. That story is told at
http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1900

Regards
Andrew
-----

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 06:45:27 +0800, Andrew Priest wrote:

> They reckon it was caused by a mis-shift downwards by me. Interesting
> that the Giant manual says this is caused by a "misadjusted (sic)
> deraileur." Something Fleet Cycles should have adjusted correctly on
> Friday I would have thought.

Sounds like **** to me - if bad shifts or misadjustment caused the
chain to jam and break the derailleur even 0.01% of the time, the bicycle
industry would be in serious trouble.

As someone else suggested, it's most likely that the removeable link
caused the jamming - either it's the wrong width, or it wasn't
installed correctly. Either way, the shop is in the wrong, and they're
just betting you won't pursue it.

"Andrew Priest" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:56:56 +0800, DeF <""d.farrow\"@your
> finger.murdoch.edu.au"> wrote:
>

>>My guess would be that you lost the chain link first which then
>>jammed in the dérailleur causing the damage. From the photos it
>>appears that you've also snapped off the hanger from your frame -
>>that might be more of an issue as I don't know that replacements
>>are that easy to come by.
>>
>>If the chain failed first then it is likely it was faulty (unless
>>it was extremely worn).

> Bike is two months old. Had a connex (?) quick release link which was
> installed by Fleet Cycles at the time of purchase. Fleet Cycles also
> serviced the bike last Friday.
>
> According to them it was my fault and I have to pay for the repair ...
> around $200 I believe.
>
> Regards
> Andrew
> -----
> Churchlands, Western Australia
> Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
> http://aushiker.com http://backpackgeartest.org http://geocaching.com.au

G'day Andrew,

Over the last few years there are a couple of larger bike shops which have
become very profit driven. That's contrasted with service driven, which then
(hopefully!) brings some profit. The response you received is indicative of
the drive of the shop. I'd suggest you find a small independent LBS and
build a relationship with them. You'll be much more fairly treated.

I know that if we had serviced your bike and it failed as you describe we'd
take responsibility. It seems like an incorrect setup or something like the
link not joined properly. In any case, $200 is, I think, excessive since it
looks like a 105 rear derailleur and a hanger (easily available - should be
in stock). $150 is more like it, if you HAVE to pay.

A tip I found useful: On my CRX3 (I went lower spec for the steel forks -
easier to mount front panniers) I've replaced the rear derailleur with an
XT. I find the MTB changers are that bit more robust. I'd buy a spare hanger
too, while you're at it.

Cheers,

Frank

Andrew Priest wrote:

> This is the second hassle with Fleet Cycles I have had. They didn't
> set the bike up properly when I purchased.

I've bought a few things from them when they had a shop in Morley. Never
gave me a good feeling. Glen Parker in Nedlands however, were good, but I
haven't been there for a long while.

Theo

Patrick Turner wrote:

> 20 years later I returned to cycling,
> and now after 110,000 km,

Hang on a bit there Patrick, it was 100,000 kms last week. Have you done a
tour of Australia since then?

Theo

On 2007-08-22, Andrew Priest <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 22 Aug 2007 22:27:08 GMT, Joel Mayes <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>********!

>>Unless there's obvious evidence that someone else has worked on the bike
>>or it has been ridden in an abusive manner any good LBS should accept
>>fault here and repair this free of charge.

> Hi Joel

<SNIP>

> That said I am picking the bike up on Friday and then taking the
> matter up with the Department of Employment and Consumer Protection.
> Fleet Cycles can deal with them.

Good on ya! More people need to do this with dodgy bike stores. It's the
only way to improve the industry.

> They reckon it was caused by a mis-shift downwards by me. Interesting
> that the Giant manual says this is caused by a "misadjusted (sic)
> deraileur." Something Fleet Cycles should have adjusted correctly on
> Friday I would have thought.

There is no such thing as a mis-shift in this context.

Even though you should avoid the big-big and the small-small
chainring/cog combinations a properly setup bike will be able to handle
these combinations without self destructing.

Your thoughts on the maladjusted derailleur was my immediate diagnosis.

Many bike stores don't do this sort of checking before letting a bike
out, which is a gross negligence IMHO. This adjustment should be done
when the bike is assembled for sale and checked as part of every
service. It only take ~30seconds to do this and it should be considered
a part of the safety check done on every bike before it leaves the shop.

Cheers

Joel
--

Andrew Priest wrote:

> As far as Fleet Cycles are concerned it is all my problem, end of
> story.

You will probably find that commencing action in your local Small
Claims Tribunal (or local equivalent) will result in a rapidly altered
atittude from them.

Alternatively, once you win in small claims, their atittude will be
adjusted for them.

On 2007-08-23, Blue Heeler (aka Bruce)
> Andrew Priest wrote:
>
>> As far as Fleet Cycles are concerned it is all my problem, end of
>> story.
>>

> You will probably find that commencing action in your local Small
> Claims Tribunal (or local equivalent) will result in a rapidly altered
> atittude from them.
>
> Alternatively, once you win in small claims, their atittude will be
> adjusted for them.

Ooh, the Legal Attitude Readjustment Tool?

I, and several other readers in this froup, may find this incredibly
funny.

--
TimC
Cult: (n) a small, unpopular religion.

On 2007-08-23, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2007-08-23, Blue Heeler (aka Bruce)
>> Andrew Priest wrote:
>>
>>> As far as Fleet Cycles are concerned it is all my problem, end of
>>> story.
>>>

>> You will probably find that commencing action in your local Small
>> Claims Tribunal (or local equivalent) will result in a rapidly altered
>> atittude from them.
>>
>> Alternatively, once you win in small claims, their atittude will be
>> adjusted for them.

> Ooh, the Legal Attitude Readjustment Tool?
>
> I, and several other readers in this froup, may find this incredibly
> funny.

:)

Well Fleet Cycles explanation for the damage to the OP's bike does sound
suspiciously like it was drawn from some sort of computerised excuse
server.

Cheers

Joel

On 2007-08-23, Joel Mayes (aka Bruce)
> On 2007-08-23, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 2007-08-23, Blue Heeler (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>>> You will probably find that commencing action in your local Small
>>> Claims Tribunal (or local equivalent) will result in a rapidly altered
>>> atittude from them.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, once you win in small claims, their atittude will be
>>> adjusted for them.

>> Ooh, the Legal Attitude Readjustment Tool?
>>
>> I, and several other readers in this froup, may find this incredibly
>> funny.

>:)
>
> Well Fleet Cycles explanation for the damage to the OP's bike does sound
> suspiciously like it was drawn from some sort of computerised excuse
> server.

"We are not fixing your bike because of... solar flares"?

--
TimC
Being certified means I can legally be employed as a chain-sawyer. That means

TimC wrote:

> Ooh, the Legal Attitude Readjustment Tool?
>
> I, and several other readers in this froup, may find this incredibly
> funny.

Care to explain?

On 2007-08-23, Blue Heeler <[email protected]> wrote:
> TimC wrote:
>

>> Ooh, the Legal Attitude Readjustment Tool?
>>
>> I, and several other readers in this froup, may find this incredibly
>> funny.

> Care to explain?

Looong runing geek short story series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOFH

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes
(03) 9029 6504 | Bicycle reuse centre
www.humanpowered.com.au | Mechanical and on-road training and instruction

I had a dura-ace one go a couple of years ago! Dont like seeing expensive
equipment snap!!!

Joel Mayes wrote:

> On 2007-08-23, Blue Heeler <[email protected]> wrote:
> > TimC wrote:
> >

> >> Ooh, the Legal Attitude Readjustment Tool?
> >>
> >> I, and several other readers in this froup, may find this

> incredibly >> funny.
> >
> > Care to explain?
> >

> Looong runing geek short story series
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOFH

Thanks - I think.

Still clueless as to Tim C's comment,the horrid feeling that I am
missing something painfully obvious to everyone else is not relieved by
the fact that in my previous career I WAS a BOFH....

And Yes I love Simon's work and have done for years.