Spent my morning in the ER

Rich Clark wrote:
> "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Today I was doing my normal commute, which I've done since 11/1/06. Most
>> of it is lightly travelled road, but there's a 3/4 mile section which is
>> 45mph 2 lane. It's not usually a problem.
>>
>> Today was different. Some guy in a truck with towing mirrors was following
>> the car in front of him too closely(he said) and when she swerved to get
>> around me( I take the lane, at least 18 inches) he didn't see what she was
>> swerving for and he hit me in the head with his towing mirror. All I
>> remember is doing a flip and then laying on the ground. Luckily my
>> brother's fiancee was on her way to work and saw me. The driver stopped
>> and sat with me until EMS showed up, as did an off-duty nurse and five
>> cops, highway patrol included. The driver got a ticket for "improper
>> pass", and the trooper said I was crazy for riding on that road when he
>> visited me in the ER.
>>
>> I spent three hours strapped to a backboard while they took a CAT scan and
>> xrays of everything on my left side. Nothing's broken, no concussion, not
>> even a suture. HOWEVER, my left elbow is scraped and looks like hamburger,
>> as does my left calf, the back of my head, and my left buttock. My left
>> buttock is deeply bruised and is purple. I was wearing my helmet, which in
>> this case was an excellent idea.
>>
>> I have no idea what's up with the bike. A co-worker picked it up for me.
>> She's told me it does not roll, and my cheapo Topeak panniers are torn and
>> ripped. Could have been much worse, but I dont' think I'll be on the bike
>> for a few days.

> I join the chorus of relief that you weren't more badly injured, and also
> wish you a speedy recovery and an insurance company payment that buys you a
> new bike with all the trimmings.
>
> I have a section like that on my commute, about a mile, and agree with those
> who find that preventing close passing is the only way to handle it. Mine is
> made worse by the fact that much of it has a very narrow shoulder and
> nothing but a metal barrier along the edge much of the way; nowhere to bail.
> Baka would be long dead if he were riding this road facing traffic.

You are telling me that you ride on worse roads??? Maybe with that metal
barrier thing, but in an emergency you can jump over the rail and
sacrifice the bike and not yourself. This Baka makes decisions based on
personal safety rather than blind faith that I won't get hit from behind.
Sorry,
But I have made (I know all the regulars know my age) 58 years of
daredevil driving and riding and it just doesn't make sense to take the
road ALL of the time.
Bill (still alive for some reason) Baka

John Kane wrote:

> Always possible but my own experience suggests that taking the lane
> tends to protect the rider. If the first motor vehicle moves left ( NA
> roads) then the following motor vehicles see a movement and plan to
> conform.
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

I agree with you on principal but with 5 double trailer gravel dump
semis playing convoy and tailgating the first might swerve and any or
all of the rest could hit me. There is a right way and a wrong way to
survive on the open (almost never policed) road.
Watch how badly a semi swerves with 2 trailers and you will see what I
mean. The trailers even sway back and forth and some of them sway over
the center line and some over the 'non-bike' lane.
I am a survivor, not an idiot out to get killed by being strictly legal
to the letter of the law.
If you think this little problem is a pain, read the AMA motorcycle
riding guide. The guys who make these laws apparently don't even ride a
motorcycle.
Bill Baka

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 18:20:03 -0400, David L. Johnson wrote:
> Neil Cherry wrote:
>
>> I don't how to judge the value of the trooper's statement since I have
>> no idea if the person is a good judge of cycling conditions or not.
>> This close call was caused by bad driving.

> A "close call" is when you don't get hit. But the trooper was out of

I know about close calls, I've got more than a few miles. :)

> line if that road is legal for bikes. If it's legal, everyone has the
> responsibility to accommodate everybody else. If drivers are so
> aggressive on that road that it is unsafe to ride on, then the police
> need to deal with the aggressive driving.

In my area they are, they've been out on patrol handing out speeding
tickets, setting up speed traps (and they were really lining 'em up),
hiding on back roads (I always wondered when they'd get to them). And
it's not just one town or county seemed to be a large region of NJ
(Central/South Central NJ). I was actually happy to see it, even
though I got ticketed (I was speeding).

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site

Bill wrote:
:: Rich Clark wrote:
::: "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
::: news:[email protected]...
:::: Today I was doing my normal commute, which I've done since
:::: 11/1/06. Most of it is lightly travelled road, but there's a 3/4
:::: mile section which is 45mph 2 lane. It's not usually a problem.
::::
[...]
:::
::: I join the chorus of relief that you weren't more badly injured,
::: and also wish you a speedy recovery and an insurance company
::: payment that buys you a new bike with all the trimmings.
:::
::: I have a section like that on my commute, about a mile, and agree
::: with those who find that preventing close passing is the only way
::: to handle it. Mine is made worse by the fact that much of it has a
::: very narrow shoulder and nothing but a metal barrier along the edge
::: much of the way; nowhere to bail. Baka would be long dead if he
::: were riding this road facing traffic.
::
:: You are telling me that you ride on worse roads??? Maybe with that
:: metal barrier thing, but in an emergency you can jump over the rail
:: and sacrifice the bike and not yourself. This Baka makes decisions
:: based on personal safety rather than blind faith that I won't get
:: hit from behind. Sorry,
:: But I have made (I know all the regulars know my age) 58 years of
:: daredevil driving and riding and it just doesn't make sense to take
:: the road ALL of the time.
:: Bill (still alive for some reason) Baka
:::

When you get to the pearlie gates, Darwin will be standing there to ask you:
"What took you so long?"

:)

On Apr 5, 1:17 pm, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Today I was doing my normal commute, which I've done since 11/1/06. Most of
> it is lightly travelled road, but there's a 3/4 mile section which is 45mph
> 2 lane. It's not usually a problem.

Is there a shoulder on this road?

> Today was different. Some guy in a truck with towing mirrors was following
> the car in front of him too closely(he said) and when she swerved to get
> around me( I take the lane, at least 18 inches) he didn't see what she was
> swerving for and he hit me in the head with his towing mirror. All I
> remember is doing a flip and then laying on the ground. Luckily my brother's
> fiancee was on her way to work and saw me. The driver stopped and sat with
> me until EMS showed up, as did an off-duty nurse and five cops, highway
> patrol included. The driver got a ticket for "improper pass", and the
> trooper said I was crazy for riding on that road when he visited me in the
> ER.
>
> I spent three hours strapped to a backboard while they took a CAT scan and
> xrays of everything on my left side. Nothing's broken, no concussion, not
> even a suture. HOWEVER, my left elbow is scraped and looks like hamburger,
> as does my left calf, the back of my head, and my left buttock. My left
> buttock is deeply bruised and is purple. I was wearing my helmet, which in
> this case was an excellent idea.
>
> I have no idea what's up with the bike. A co-worker picked it up for me.
> She's told me it does not roll, and my cheapo Topeak panniers are torn and
> ripped. Could have been much worse, but I dont' think I'll be on the bike
> for a few days.
>
> Mike

On Apr 5, 4:20 pm, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Neil Cherry wrote:
> > I don't how to judge the value of the trooper's statement since I have
> > no idea if the person is a good judge of cycling conditions or not.
> > This close call was caused by bad driving.

> A "close call" is when you don't get hit. But the trooper was out of
> line if that road is legal for bikes. If it's legal, everyone has the
> responsibility to accommodate everybody else. If drivers are so
> aggressive on that road that it is unsafe to ride on, then the police
> need to deal with the aggressive driving.
>
> --
>
> David L. Johnson
>
> If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach
> a conclusion. -- George Bernard Shaw

NOBODY in their right mind ventures out onto Hwy 93 toward Golden,
south of Boulder. Legal, sure but no shoulder, high speeds, dumb to
ride there. No sense making a point by getting killed. I think
cyclists need to take the 'reasonable person' approach. This guy
didn't do anything wrong but the guy got hit nonetheless.
Sometimes cyclists get hit when nobody is being 'aggressive'.

> On Apr 5, 1:17 pm, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Today I was doing my normal commute, which I've done since 11/1/06. Most
>> of
>> it is lightly travelled road, but there's a 3/4 mile section which is
>> 45mph
>> 2 lane. It's not usually a problem.

> Is there a shoulder on this road?

Not much of one. It's about six inches wide. If I sit there then motorists
all pass too close, and I've almost been blown off the road when I did it.
I'm in agreement with the others who've said I should have taken MORE lane.
Once I'm healed and my bike is back to normal, I will do that. Maybe get one
of those flags that sticks out a foot to the left, too.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> :: Rich Clark wrote:
> ::: I have a section like that on my commute, about a mile, and agree
> ::: with those who find that preventing close passing is the only way
> ::: to handle it. Mine is made worse by the fact that much of it has a
> ::: very narrow shoulder and nothing but a metal barrier along the edge
> ::: much of the way; nowhere to bail. Baka would be long dead if he
> ::: were riding this road facing traffic.
> ::
> :: You are telling me that you ride on worse roads??? Maybe with that
> :: metal barrier thing, but in an emergency you can jump over the rail
> :: and sacrifice the bike and not yourself. This Baka makes decisions
> :: based on personal safety rather than blind faith that I won't get
> :: hit from behind. Sorry,
> :: But I have made (I know all the regulars know my age) 58 years of
> :: daredevil driving and riding and it just doesn't make sense to take
> :: the road ALL of the time.
> :: Bill (still alive for some reason) Baka
> :::
>
> When you get to the pearlie gates, Darwin will be standing there to ask you:
> "What took you so long?"
>
> :)

Ride on my roads sometime and you will know.
I've cheated death too many times to count and always wondered why I was
alive. I hate being in the back of an ambulance though.
Either I bounce pretty good or somebody up there likes me.
Maybe they are taking bets?
Bill Baka

On 6 Apr 2007 05:52:57 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> On Apr 5, 4:20 pm, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Neil Cherry wrote:
>> > I don't how to judge the value of the trooper's statement since I have
>> > no idea if the person is a good judge of cycling conditions or not.
>> > This close call was caused by bad driving.

>> A "close call" is when you don't get hit. But the trooper was out of
>> line if that road is legal for bikes. If it's legal, everyone has the
>> responsibility to accommodate everybody else. If drivers are so
>> aggressive on that road that it is unsafe to ride on, then the police
>> need to deal with the aggressive driving.

> NOBODY in their right mind ventures out onto Hwy 93 toward Golden,
> south of Boulder. Legal, sure but no shoulder, high speeds, dumb to
> ride there. No sense making a point by getting killed. I think
> cyclists need to take the 'reasonable person' approach. This guy
> didn't do anything wrong but the guy got hit nonetheless.

Do-Do happens, Ca-Ca occurs but the last line makes it sound like
'these things happen'. I'm not sure that's the tone you wanted to
strike. Too many of us (general public not cyclist in general) are
running on autopilot instead of using our brains. Nothing Gooserider
wrote suggested that the roadway was too dangerous to ride on. Only
that it was not a 'lightly travelled road'. I ride on plenty of
roadways that fit this description, no choice really.

I saw a nice example of this the other day when a car drove through a
very red light. He didn't seem to notice the cross traffic (which he
miraculously missed). In fact he didn't even flinch after he went
through the light. Strange thing was that all the other traffic around
him (going in the same direction) was stopping or stopped (he had a
clear lane). Now had he hit a car do you think he could have gotten
away with the 'I didn't see the light' argument?

> Sometimes cyclists get hit when nobody is being 'aggressive'.

Then the driver is most likely not paying attention to what they're
supposed to be doing (driving)! In the last year I've begun to notice
more aggression and less attentiveness in the majority of the driving
public. The recent Police attention seems to had at least some effect
as the traffic has slowed. I don't know if the public is any more
attentive yet.

My friends (bike club member with a lot of mileage) and I are pretty
good at judging the relative value of a route by time of day,
congestion levels, level of information overload, number of cyclist
riding together, etc. and we try to select roadways which are more
conducive to a relaxed ride. But that doesn't mean we can avoid all
busy roadways. It's something we have to deal with in the area we live
in.

--

Mike Kruger wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>>Plonk me if you want, but wrong way riding is survival riding in some
>>areas. It's coming up on 15 years since a girl ran down and killed 4
>>riders in the bay area, and they were all legal but oblivious to what was
>>coming. Wrong way in big truck highway mode allows me to ditch if
>>needed and I can see the problem approach in full detail, not just a
>>mirror.

> 1. Happy that the O.P. is basically OK. Bikes can be replaced; skin grows
> back.
> 2. In this instance, I don't think there'd be enough time for a wrong-way
> rider to react and ditch. I think there's a better case to be made that the
> mirror would hit him in the face. As usual when talking about an accident
> where we weren't present, one can't speak with any certainty.

I am putting this as nicely as I can, but if I came upon someone wrong
way riding on a highway, I'd assume the rider had a death wish.

On Apr 6, 10:11 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Hopefully they won't mention your 'right' to be there at your memorial
> service. I think the better part of valor 'might' to find a better
> place to get there rather than a 2 lane road, 45 mph, w/o any
> shoulder...just maybe. Altho I have every right to be on the roads
> here in Boulder County, if I ride during the week, there are roads I
> stay off of because of 18 wheeler traffic....no reason to ask to be
> smacked. There are other ways to get your voice heard than from the
> grave or in a home with a drool cup.

Yep.

Sucks to be "dead right."

Gooserider/Mike: glad it wasn't worse.

Hope you heal fast. ER's--even with hot doc's and nurses--are no
damned fun. Been there.

Take good care of yourself.

catzz66 wrote:
> Mike Kruger wrote:
>> Bill wrote:
>>
>>> Plonk me if you want, but wrong way riding is survival riding in some
>>> areas. It's coming up on 15 years since a girl ran down and killed 4
>>> riders in the bay area, and they were all legal but oblivious to what
>>> was
>>> coming. Wrong way in big truck highway mode allows me to ditch if
>>> needed and I can see the problem approach in full detail, not just a
>>> mirror.

>> 1. Happy that the O.P. is basically OK. Bikes can be replaced; skin
>> grows back.
>> 2. In this instance, I don't think there'd be enough time for a
>> wrong-way rider to react and ditch. I think there's a better case to
>> be made that the mirror would hit him in the face. As usual when
>> talking about an accident where we weren't present, one can't speak
>> with any certainty.
>>

> I am putting this as nicely as I can, but if I came upon someone wrong
> way riding on a highway, I'd assume the rider had a death wish.

Not so. If I see an uncertain situation coming, like 5 semi's in a row,
I will dismount and get back in the weeds if need be. I don't ride wrong
way in town, just a few roads that are end to end semi's and
construction vehicles. On the farm roads I ride right side and I can
hear a tractor overtaking me and look to see if he is hauling some big
machinery. Sometimes a harvester is on the road and I really have to get
off because it takes up both lanes and he can't move over.
Country living in a farming area is totally different than city.
I don't have a death wish, just not in padded room safe mode.
Bill Baka

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Hopefully they won't mention your 'right' to be there at your memorial
> service. I think the better part of valor 'might' to find a better
> place to get there rather than a 2 lane road, 45 mph, w/o any
> shoulder...just maybe. Altho I have every right to be on the roads
> here in Boulder County, if I ride during the week, there are roads I
> stay off of because of 18 wheeler traffic....no reason to ask to be
> smacked. There are other ways to get your voice heard than from the
> grave or in a home with a drool cup.

Finally a voice of reason. 18 wheeler's are not the best to share the
road with, like especially when they get into a tailgating party at 65.
Bill Baka

"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>>
>> Hopefully they won't mention your 'right' to be there at your memorial
>> service. I think the better part of valor 'might' to find a better
>> place to get there rather than a 2 lane road, 45 mph, w/o any
>> shoulder...just maybe. Altho I have every right to be on the roads
>> here in Boulder County, if I ride during the week, there are roads I
>> stay off of because of 18 wheeler traffic....no reason to ask to be
>> smacked. There are other ways to get your voice heard than from the
>> grave or in a home with a drool cup.
>>

> Finally a voice of reason. 18 wheeler's are not the best to share the road
> with, like especially when they get into a tailgating party at 65.
> Bill Baka

Just so you guys understand, I wasn't hit by an 18-wheeler. I was hit by a
pickup truck, a 1986 Chevy.

Gooserider wrote:
> "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>>> Hopefully they won't mention your 'right' to be there at your memorial
>>> service. I think the better part of valor 'might' to find a better
>>> place to get there rather than a 2 lane road, 45 mph, w/o any
>>> shoulder...just maybe. Altho I have every right to be on the roads
>>> here in Boulder County, if I ride during the week, there are roads I
>>> stay off of because of 18 wheeler traffic....no reason to ask to be
>>> smacked. There are other ways to get your voice heard than from the
>>> grave or in a home with a drool cup.
>>>

>> Finally a voice of reason. 18 wheeler's are not the best to share the road
>> with, like especially when they get into a tailgating party at 65.
>> Bill Baka

> Just so you guys understand, I wasn't hit by an 18-wheeler. I was hit by a
> pickup truck, a 1986 Chevy.

I think we all know that or you wouldn't have been around to post. What
is odd is that the driver of the pickup couldn't see the road in front
of the vehicle he was following?????
I got smacked by a pickup just before Christmas, AFTER making eye
contact. Sometimes you just can't win.
18 wheelers are my pet peeve since they are the ones that force me to
wrong way on parts of 2 roads around here. We also have bicycle lanes on
one side of the road only, so one way you are 100% legal, but then you
do have to get back home, so....
Bill Baka

"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You are telling me that you ride on worse roads???

Everybody thinks "their" roads are the world's worst. Everybody thinks their
local drivers are the world's worst. Combine that with somebody who thinks
he is the most special-est person in the world (that would be you, Bill),
and it's no surprise that you're the exception to every rule.

> Maybe with that metal barrier thing, but in an emergency you can jump over
> the rail and sacrifice the bike and not yourself.

It's a long drop. I'm sure you would survive it, of course. I, however, am
only human.

> This Baka makes decisions based on personal safety rather than blind faith
> that I won't get hit from behind.
> Sorry,
> But I have made (I know all the regulars know my age) 58 years of
> daredevil driving and riding and it just doesn't make sense to take the
> road ALL of the time.

I started using a bike for daily transportation on the streets of Chicago
when you were 11 years old, Bill. The one thing I know from those decades of
riding is that, while no rule is ironclad and the situation is always part
of the equation, riding while facing traffic is just plain stupid. But I
also know that you are the center of the universe from which all wisdom
flows, so let's not bother discussing it.

Rich Clark wrote:
> "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> You are telling me that you ride on worse roads???

> Everybody thinks "their" roads are the world's worst. Everybody thinks their
> local drivers are the world's worst. Combine that with somebody who thinks
> he is the most special-est person in the world (that would be you, Bill),
> and it's no surprise that you're the exception to every rule.

The last time I checked I still had a pulse.

>> Maybe with that metal barrier thing, but in an emergency you can jump over
>> the rail and sacrifice the bike and not yourself.

> It's a long drop. I'm sure you would survive it, of course. I, however, am
> only human.

If there was a river below I might not mind the swim. Rocks I don't
like, and sticker bushes are a pain to crash or jump into.

>> This Baka makes decisions based on personal safety rather than blind faith
>> that I won't get hit from behind.
>> Sorry,
>> But I have made (I know all the regulars know my age) 58 years of
>> daredevil driving and riding and it just doesn't make sense to take the
>> road ALL of the time.

> I started using a bike for daily transportation on the streets of Chicago
> when you were 11 years old, Bill.

Duh, and double DUH. I was born in Chicago and spent my first 14 years
in and around there. Riding against traffic in the city would be
suicidal, but I am talking country roads with no police and no shoulder
to ride on, along with some truck drivers who aren't even citizens.
Think Mexico or India. THEM I want to see coming at me.

The one thing I know from those decades of
> riding is that, while no rule is ironclad and the situation is always part
> of the equation, riding while facing traffic is just plain stupid. But I
> also know that you are the center of the universe from which all wisdom
> flows, so let's not bother discussing it.

Yeah,
Pay attention to your elders, junior.
Bill

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 18:36:28 -0400, Rich Clark wrote:

> I started using a bike for daily transportation on the streets of Chicago
> when you were 11 years old, Bill. The one thing I know from those decades of
> riding is that, while no rule is ironclad and the situation is always part
> of the equation, riding while facing traffic is just plain stupid. But I
> also know that you are the center of the universe from which all wisdom
> flows, so let's not bother discussing it.

I think the pipes are clogs and he's just stewing it it. ;-)

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 01:04:13 -0500, Neil Cherry <[email protected]>
wrote:
>In my area they are, they've been out on patrol handing out speeding
>tickets, setting up speed traps (and they were really lining 'em up),
>hiding on back roads (I always wondered when they'd get to them). And
>it's not just one town or county seemed to be a large region of NJ
>(Central/South Central NJ). I was actually happy to see it, even
>though I got ticketed (I was speeding).

Were you a cager or a cyclist when you got the ticket? Enquiring
minds want to know...
Email address works as is.

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 20:00:54 -0500, Patrick Lamb wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 01:04:13 -0500, Neil Cherry <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>In my area they are, they've been out on patrol handing out speeding
>>tickets, setting up speed traps (and they were really lining 'em up),
>>hiding on back roads (I always wondered when they'd get to them). And
>>it's not just one town or county seemed to be a large region of NJ
>>(Central/South Central NJ). I was actually happy to see it, even
>>though I got ticketed (I was speeding).

> Were you a cager or a cyclist when you got the ticket? Enquiring
> minds want to know...

Cager, I've been more careful as a cyclist to avoid speeding
tickets. It's much less likely that I might 'drive at a comfortable
speed' while riding a bike than in a car. Besides most of the speed
devices around here don't seem to pick up cyclists which is a bit of
bummer when we are trying to be noticed like when we're doing sprints
;-).