Spinning classes any good?

HandyAndy

Jul 29, 2003
Hi all

I am in the unfortunate position of having no bike but a desire to train.I am presently overseas and will be returning to my beautiful South Africa in about 7 months time and will then start riding competitively again.I have access to a gym nearby and was wondering if spinning classes are any good to do?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Hey mate,

Until recently i have been attending 1 hour spinning classes once a week, but the instructor has left so the gym is waiting for a new one. Spinning can be very rewarding if you have the right attitude otherwise it will just be plain boring, as with any interval training like spinning its very much about how much you push yourself, so like if the instructor tells you to sprint for 15 secs then you put your all into it. It definately gets the heart pumping though and having quite a few spinners in the class makes it a little more exiting. I know a lot of people that really don't like spining but they aren't keen cyclists so they wouldn't have the motivation behind it, so why not try it eh? worth a try..having a good instructor helps a lot though, one that motivates you and gets the most from you. Try a half hour spin if they offer that to start with and remember to pace yourself. Be relaxed on the bike, especially in the grip on the bars. Have fun (hope this helps)

Hi there,

I can say I am a spinning fanatic. It is a creat way of interval training. In my experience it does help to have a good trainer/instructor who really helps you to push yourself to the limits. Try a class and really go for it ( otherwhise it is boring). You will find that you can push yourself a lot further than you think.

Lots of the masters racers in my area use spinning as "cross training"-- in two senses. More dynamic movements than long road rides plus they hate running so the serious anaerobic work gets them ready for CX season. I always use a HM so I don't cheat on my work load. My one-hour class gets me 40-42 minutes @ >85% max. I don't get near that on 1hr road ride.

Greetings,
I took spin classes for about 7 months before moving to the Netherlands. Originally from Ohio in the US, and only a fair weather rider, I knew I'd need to be in better condition to commute daily in Holland. Although a flat country, riding every day in all kinds of weather and temps needed more fitness than I possessed. (47 yr. old male, fair shape for age). My classes pushed me as hard as I was willing to push myself. I had several instructors, some tougher than others, and gender was irrelevant. Cool music helps, especially when you start to hurt a bit!
I am sure glad I took the classes. Even though my commute was only 10 km each way, I adapted fairly quickly to the daily grind, but still looked forward to the 1-2 hr rides on the weekends.
If you're off your bike for now, take the spin classes, 2-3 times per week if you have the time. Your transition will be much smoother when you return to SA.
Blessings and good riding!
Kent (soon to be in the UK, and reintroduced to hills, aarrgh!)

it didn't matt
Originally posted by DanBB
Hey mate,

Until recently i have been attending 1 hour spinning classes once a week, but the instructor has left so the gym is waiting for a new one. Spinning can be very rewarding if you have the right attitude otherwise it will just be plain boring, as with any interval training like spinning its very much about how much you push yourself, so like if the instructor tells you to sprint for 15 secs then you put your all into it. It definately gets the heart pumping though and having quite a few spinners in the class makes it a little more exiting. I know a lot of people that really don't like spining but they aren't keen cyclists so they wouldn't have the motivation behind it, so why not try it eh? worth a try..having a good instructor helps a lot though, one that motivates you and gets the most from you. Try a half hour spin if they offer that to start with and remember to pace yourself. Be relaxed on the bike, especially in the grip on the bars. Have fun (hope this helps)

I've been spinning for over a year, 45 min classes 2 days a week. Our instructor pushes us and the class has quite a few good bikers in it. Sometimes the group goes out for road rides on weekends. It has been a great experience for me and good way to get a workout in when the weather is bad, or time short. True, you do have to push yourself, but with other riders working hard, and good music, it is hard to hang back.

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Hi all

I am in the unfortunate position of having no bike but a desire to train.I am presently overseas and will be returning to my beautiful South Africa in about 7 months time and will then start riding competitively again.I have access to a gym nearby and was wondering if spinning classes are any good to do?

Anyone have any experience with this?
But why classes? I don't think it's going to do you much good messing around in a group with a load of most likely non-cyclists and probably following an instructor who knows nothing about cycling.

Go to the local gym but get yourself a proper program first (there are many published for indoor training) Get in your power work (climbing), hard interval work and spinning for muscle speed and aerobic work.

It will certainly get you in good stead before getting back on the road again

Gary

Originally posted by garthashworth
But why classes? I don't think it's going to do you much good messing around in a group with a load of most likely non-cyclists and probably following an instructor who knows nothing about cycling.

Go to the local gym but get yourself a proper program first (there are many published for indoor training) Get in your power work (climbing), hard interval work and spinning for muscle speed and aerobic work.

Gary

But why classes?

Simply because you not allowed to use the spinning bikes UNLESS you are in a class. And the spinning bikes are the only gym bikes that are anywhere near the same geometry as a road bike, with toe clips or clipless pedals. Plus, they have regular saddles on them instead of the frying pan size you find on gym bikes.

I'm 51, and I've been in spinning for 3 1/2 years now, and am in class 3-4 times a week in the off season. I work at > 85% max HR the entire class, and, while we have an instructor, I usually allow the tempo of the music to determine what I do. Fast downbeat = high rpm spin training, Slow downbeat = strength work out of the saddle, etc. 80's music is the best.

The spinning classes keep me in shape enough to go on a 50+ mile ride at any time during the off season.

Gary
:confused: :confused:

Gary

I use spinning classes, mainly in the Winter when its cold and wet outside.

The good thing about the classes is that people of different ability can take part together. I can cycle next to a female 'non-cyclist', but I'll have the resistance set several notches higher. At the end of the session, we've both had a good workout.

I think you'll find most instructors have been well trained, know a reasonable amount about exercise physiology, and even cycling! My instructor taught me how to climb better, and explained what was going on in my muscles when we were streching them afterwards. And by motivating me, she got me to hit my HRmax for only the second time ever!

Hi there, I dont understand what are you talking about. Have you tried any good spinning class? I teach more than 15 spinning classes per week. I have an athletic backround. . I used to cycle professionaly in a 2nd division club for 5 years. During my classes, I use a Polar Heart Rate Monitor. I am now 38 years old and I manage about 166 beats per minute on average. My max is 192, rest 42. VO2max 62. My heart rate from the last track is 177 and between one minute is down to 110. Does it mean it is bad? And what exactly do you mean by "a proper program"? I can leg press 200 kilos twelve times for three sets - does that mean it improves my cycling? I dont think so.
Ivo

Originally posted by lfdavis
But why classes?

Simply because you not allowed to use the spinning bikes UNLESS you are in a class. And the spinning bikes are the only gym bikes that are anywhere near the same geometry as a road bike, with toe clips or clipless pedals. Plus, they have regular saddles on them instead of the frying pan size you find on gym bikes.

I'm 51, and I've been in spinning for 3 1/2 years now, and am in class 3-4 times a week in the off season. I work at > 85% max HR the entire class, and, while we have an instructor, I usually allow the tempo of the music to determine what I do. Fast downbeat = high rpm spin training, Slow downbeat = strength work out of the saddle, etc. 80's music is the best.

The spinning classes keep me in shape enough to go on a 50+ mile ride at any time during the off season.

It's obviously a question of selecting your Gym. When I have done any winter indoor strength training in a Gym, there have always been spinning bikes available to all except at certain times (usually an hour each evening) when they are reserved for classes but I've never yet seen a competitive cyclist participating.

I think the originator of this exchange of correspondence, because of his particular circumstances, was considering spinning as an ALTERNATIVE to cycling. Apart from the company (which can be pleasing) why bother spinning in a class when you can do serious work at home on a turbo? I can recommend Pete Reed's manual on turbo training which covers about all aspects of this branch of training. Personally, each winter, I spend three months skiing every day (both downhill and cross-country). I then try to get in a full hour each evening on the turbo - mainly power work and find that after a brief time back on the road in Spring I am competitive.

Gary

Okay, this is my first day in a spinning class, and I was exahusted at minute 20, then I could'nt follow the instructor.... I never thought it was like that..... I suppuse to do mountainbiking since 6 months ago now I guess I wasn't doin' it just right.. I hope spinning help my cardio coz is where I fail first, then air, and at last strength.
This three months are for losing weight and improve my cardio.

Any comment?

Just keep with it Scaro. And reduce the resistance. Start at the lowest resistance and make your first aim to complete the session.

Spinning is a great workout, especially to take the place of the afterwork rides in the winter. Don't worry about what other people are doing, this is YOUR workout. You will see the slacker double timing up the "hill" while you are in a tough seated climb. It's a super way to refine your pedal stroke as well.

Spinning is a great way to get a good anaerobic workout, although you do get different types of classes, some that even focus on getting a genuine HR based aerobic workout - my instructor is fanatical about keeping your HR below 80%. In short, if you can't get out on the road, and have access to a spinning class, go and do it, I've been at it 3-4 times a week for about 6 months now, and can clearly see a difference in my pedalling speed, technique and strength.

If I were to choose between trying to do my own workout at home on a turbo, on thrashing it out to some pumping sounds in a class with 20 other like-minded people, I'd definitely choose the latter - no contest.

And, as for the instructors not knowing what they are doing:confused:, each and every one the instructors that have taken a class that I have attended, have all been accomplished (35+ kph average) cyclists themselves.

Gary

From a motivational point of view it is great, the good music and a few others around with you is motivational. You can allways run it a bit harder than the rest to get a harder workout.

Spinning by your self sux. IMOA

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes the instructor may be a Cycling novice but should have a good understanding of intervals.

Barney

Would be spinners,

I am a spin instructor and team sponsored cyclist. Taking the cue from my students, the most important component of the spin class is the instructor. As some of us tend to favor certain types of music and workouts vs. other instructors, I would suggest to all that you "shop around" for a good instructor who will give you what you are looking for, i.e Van Halen and interval sets that blow you to pieces...(my favorite).

As for the benefit for cyclists, again, your instructor is the best indicator for this...are they a cyclist? what kind of shape are they in? are they experienced exercise physiologists?

The unfortunate thing is if you belong to a club and paid the dues already, you seldom have the choice to shop around as this may require you join another club..ouch$$. If you are not getting what you are looking for, I have some great advice....become an instructor yourself; that's what got me into it.

As a competitive cyclist I have found that most students prefer to "learn from a pro" rather than an aerobics instructor. Best yet, about 25% of these students now own bikes and do rides with me.

For those looking to spin, it is a great workout and can truly help your performance off season and even during your racing months.

If you are not satisfied with what goes on in some spin classes, saddle up and teach others what you know. It is a rewarding and fun part-time job.