Spinning

elrohwen

Jul 13, 2003
I've decided that this year that I'm going to be in good cycling condition before the warm weather hits. I signed up for a spinning class (offered by the PE department of my university) that meets for 45 minutes a day twice a week. Since the spinning will be pretty much all of the cycling I'm able to do until a) it doesn't get dark at 4pm and b) the temperature gets above 20degrees do any of you have any tips? I've never tried spinning before ... are there any ways I can get the most out of it for my cycling purposes? I assume that the teacher will be knowledgable about cycling, but there will probably be lots of people taking the class who just want to get in better shape and not necessarily for cycling. Any comments would be appreciated.

Hi

From my brief experience with spinning, the trainer is usually experienced and well qualified to do his/her job. The classes are usually quite tough (your heart rate zones are used in addition to the levels of resistance, speed etc.) so the intensity of the class will be different for each individual.

If however the instructor is not that knowledgeable/the rest of the group are just there to get fit, lose weight etc. then the simple thing to do is to push as hard as you can, depending on what you are training for (e.g. climbing, sprinting, endurance, etc.) By the end of the class you should be struggling to walk!

Tips: - use a heart rate monitor (unless bikes have ones built in), it makes the world of a difference. Use a gel seat cover (which you can buy cheaply) or equally good an ordinary padded cycling shorts! Bring plenty of water, a sweat towel, etc., i.e. all the standard stuff.

The spinning should be great training for real cycling, if you find it is too easy supplement it with your own training on an ergo bike or increase the resistance of the bike during your spinning class. Otherwise good luck with your classes I am sure you will enjoy them.