SRAM 950 cassette. Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Derk, Nov 21, 2005.

  1. Derk

    Derk Guest

    Hi,

    This is my last "is it any good" question:

    How's that SRAM 950 12-26 cassette?

    TIA! Derk

    Tags:

  2. dvt

    dvt Guest

    Derk wrote:
    > How's that SRAM 950 12-26 cassette?

    I have an 8-speed SRAM 12-26. It's proven to be reasonably durable and
    it shifts as well as any cassette I've used. What more can one say about
    a cassette?

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  3. Derk

    Derk Guest

    dvt wrote:

    > I have an 8-speed SRAM 12-26. It's proven to be reasonably durable and
    > it shifts as well as any cassette I've used. What more can one say about
    > a cassette?

    Can one replace separate worn cogs?

    Greetings, Derk

  4. Derk wrote:
    > dvt wrote:
    >
    >> I have an 8-speed SRAM 12-26. It's proven to be reasonably durable
    >> and it shifts as well as any cassette I've used. What more can one
    >> say about a cassette?

    > Can one replace separate worn cogs?
    >
    > Greetings, Derk

    Yes.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. Derk wrote:
    > dvt wrote:
    >
    >> I have an 8-speed SRAM 12-26. It's proven to be reasonably durable
    >> and it shifts as well as any cassette I've used. What more can one
    >> say about a cassette?

    > Can one replace separate worn cogs?
    >
    > Greetings, Derk

    Yes.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. Ron Ruff

    Ron Ruff Guest

    Derk wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This is my last "is it any good" question:
    >
    > How's that SRAM 950 12-26 cassette?
    >
    > TIA! Derk

    They seem to me to shift better than Shimano cassettes if you are using
    a SRAM chain.

  7. Derk

    Derk Guest

    Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

    >> Can one replace separate worn cogs?

    > Yes.

    Not here: I checked today and there are no cogs available for SRAM
    cassettes. :-(

    Greetings, Derk

  8. if one cog is worn then others may be or very close to it. so why not
    change the whole set.
    There are no replacement cogs you can buy individually.

    My SRAM 970 has ind cogs but held together with a skinny bolt.

  9. Derk wrote:
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    >
    >>> Can one replace separate worn cogs?

    >> Yes.

    > Not here: I checked today and there are no cogs available for SRAM
    > cassettes. :-(

    Oh, I thought you were wondering if you could physically replace individual
    cogs, unlike XT/XTR. In that case, the'yre cheap enough that it shouldn't
    matter.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  10. Derk wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This is my last "is it any good" question:
    >
    > How's that SRAM 950 12-26 cassette?
    >
    > TIA! Derk

    Great unit, wears well, shifts well, cheaper than shimaNO....

  11. Derk

    Derk Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > Great unit, wears well, shifts well, cheaper than shimaNO....

    I ask this, because several parts were not according to specifications when
    I received my crossbike, though they state in their small print that they
    may change several things when they run out of something.

    The following was changed:

    Advertised -actual mounted part:
    Vittoria cyclocross tires- Continental Twister tires
    Shimano HG 70 cassette- SRAM 950 cassette
    FSA ISIS crankset - Truvativ Elita GPX crankset

    I would have preferred the Shimano cassette, because I can buy loose cogs
    for this cassette and not for the SRAM cassette, but well, I can't really
    complai considering the price of the bike.

    Thanks, Derk

  12. amakyonin

    amakyonin Guest

    There is no reason you can't use loose Shimano cogs with a worn SRAM
    casette. I think there is a very small difference in cog thickness
    between brands but it won't matter. You may or may not be able to get
    the hyperglide ramps to match but that isn't a big deal either.