SRAM 950 cassette. Is it any good?

Derk

Guest
Hi,

This is my last "is it any good" question:

How's that SRAM 950 12-26 cassette?

TIA! Derk

Derk wrote:
> How's that SRAM 950 12-26 cassette?

I have an 8-speed SRAM 12-26. It's proven to be reasonably durable and
it shifts as well as any cassette I've used. What more can one say about
a cassette?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

dvt wrote:

> I have an 8-speed SRAM 12-26. It's proven to be reasonably durable and
> it shifts as well as any cassette I've used. What more can one say about
> a cassette?

Can one replace separate worn cogs?

Greetings, Derk

Derk wrote:
> dvt wrote:
>
>> I have an 8-speed SRAM 12-26. It's proven to be reasonably durable
>> and it shifts as well as any cassette I've used. What more can one
>> say about a cassette?

> Can one replace separate worn cogs?
>
> Greetings, Derk

Yes.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Derk wrote:
> dvt wrote:
>
>> I have an 8-speed SRAM 12-26. It's proven to be reasonably durable
>> and it shifts as well as any cassette I've used. What more can one
>> say about a cassette?

> Can one replace separate worn cogs?
>
> Greetings, Derk

Yes.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Derk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my last "is it any good" question:
>
> How's that SRAM 950 12-26 cassette?
>
> TIA! Derk

They seem to me to shift better than Shimano cassettes if you are using
a SRAM chain.

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

>> Can one replace separate worn cogs?

> Yes.

Not here: I checked today and there are no cogs available for SRAM
cassettes. :-(

Greetings, Derk

if one cog is worn then others may be or very close to it. so why not
change the whole set.
There are no replacement cogs you can buy individually.

My SRAM 970 has ind cogs but held together with a skinny bolt.

Derk wrote:
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>
>>> Can one replace separate worn cogs?

>> Yes.

> Not here: I checked today and there are no cogs available for SRAM
> cassettes. :-(

Oh, I thought you were wondering if you could physically replace individual
cogs, unlike XT/XTR. In that case, the'yre cheap enough that it shouldn't
matter.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Derk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my last "is it any good" question:
>
> How's that SRAM 950 12-26 cassette?
>
> TIA! Derk

Great unit, wears well, shifts well, cheaper than shimaNO....

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Great unit, wears well, shifts well, cheaper than shimaNO....

I ask this, because several parts were not according to specifications when
I received my crossbike, though they state in their small print that they
may change several things when they run out of something.

The following was changed:

Advertised -actual mounted part:
Vittoria cyclocross tires- Continental Twister tires
Shimano HG 70 cassette- SRAM 950 cassette
FSA ISIS crankset - Truvativ Elita GPX crankset

I would have preferred the Shimano cassette, because I can buy loose cogs
for this cassette and not for the SRAM cassette, but well, I can't really
complai considering the price of the bike.

Thanks, Derk

There is no reason you can't use loose Shimano cogs with a worn SRAM
casette. I think there is a very small difference in cog thickness
between brands but it won't matter. You may or may not be able to get
the hyperglide ramps to match but that isn't a big deal either.