SRAM shifters (suck?), adding XT front derailer

Llatikcuf wrote:
> LIBERATOR wrote:
> > Is this a "sensitive" modifcation where special care should be a
> > concern?
> >
> > Also, I tried SRAM X0 and didn't like the fact that you have to use
> > your thumbs for shifting and can't simultaneously have fingers on both,
> > you have to use your thumb and can only be on one or the other. This
> > seems very strange to me that they wouldn't design a design where like
> > Shimano you can have both down and upshifting manned by a finger.
> >
> > Is the difference between SRAM and Shimano, noticeably different as to
> > the claims I'm hearing? I didn't see the rapidity I was expecting in
> > just trying the bike in the parking lot. Shimano shifters beat SRAM.

> I switched to Sram a year ago..... took about two minutes to get used
> to. Never looked back.
>
> You like apples, others like oranges - big deal, buy shimano stuff.
>
> -nate

Well the main deal was is there actually an increase in [rapidity in
shifting] with SRAM rather than Shimano?

"user37" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tim wrote:
>> On 2006-05-24, Shaun aRe
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> "user37" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>> [snip]

>>> In all my time with bicycles, I have never had that part wear out, and I
>>> live in Lancashire, North England, where it's wet as hell. So what's the
>>> problem?
>>>

>>> Shaun aRe

>> And gritty too when I've ridden in Lancashire. The rate at
>> which chains and cassettes can be destroyed by gritty mud in the UK is
>> scary (and it's not even that gritty in my bit of the Midlands).
>>
>> I've not had a FD cage rust, only discolour slightly. Any rust
>> staining which has appeared seems to have arised from mud/grit/goo
>> transferred fro the chain.

> Yes, it won't wear out, just cosmetics, I can live with it :)
>
> Roadsalt's a problem too, it eats parts.
> Just wondered why they didn't use a higher spec bit of metal for the inner
> cage. Only baremetal exposed by chainrub was rusting, not the whole inner
> cage. I recognise your point about rust transfer from the chain, but after
> a clean I'm sure I still saw native rust. I could be wrong, if someone
> tells me the part literally can't rust I'll believe 'em.

It can, it does, but it is only a very thin layer of surface rust that is
constantly rubbed away anyhow. If the cosmetics of that bother you, then you
aren't getting your bike properly dirty enough anyhow! ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Missing the dirt a lot these days ',;~{~

LIBERATOR wrote:
> Llatikcuf wrote:
> > LIBERATOR wrote:
> > > Is this a "sensitive" modifcation where special care should be a
> > > concern?
> > >
> > > Also, I tried SRAM X0 and didn't like the fact that you have to use
> > > your thumbs for shifting and can't simultaneously have fingers on both,
> > > you have to use your thumb and can only be on one or the other. This
> > > seems very strange to me that they wouldn't design a design where like
> > > Shimano you can have both down and upshifting manned by a finger.
> > >
> > > Is the difference between SRAM and Shimano, noticeably different as to
> > > the claims I'm hearing? I didn't see the rapidity I was expecting in
> > > just trying the bike in the parking lot. Shimano shifters beat SRAM.

> > I switched to Sram a year ago..... took about two minutes to get used
> > to. Never looked back.
> >
> > You like apples, others like oranges - big deal, buy shimano stuff.
> >
> > -nate

> Well the main deal was is there actually an increase in [rapidity in
> shifting] with SRAM rather than Shimano?

Huh?

LIBERATOR wrote:
> Llatikcuf wrote:
>> LIBERATOR wrote:
>>> Is this a "sensitive" modifcation where special care should be a
>>> concern?
>>>
>>> Also, I tried SRAM X0 and didn't like the fact that you have to use
>>> your thumbs for shifting and can't simultaneously have fingers on both,
>>> you have to use your thumb and can only be on one or the other. This
>>> seems very strange to me that they wouldn't design a design where like
>>> Shimano you can have both down and upshifting manned by a finger.
>>>
>>> Is the difference between SRAM and Shimano, noticeably different as to
>>> the claims I'm hearing? I didn't see the rapidity I was expecting in
>>> just trying the bike in the parking lot. Shimano shifters beat SRAM.

>> I switched to Sram a year ago..... took about two minutes to get used
>> to. Never looked back.
>>
>> You like apples, others like oranges - big deal, buy shimano stuff.
>>
>> -nate

> Well the main deal was is there actually an increase in [rapidity in
> shifting] with SRAM rather than Shimano?

Why do you care? YOU DON'T OWN A BIKE.

> > Well the main deal was is there actually an increase in [rapidity in
> > shifting] with SRAM rather than Shimano?

> Huh?

If I compare side by side SRAM X0 to Shimano XTR, and simultaneously
shifted, which one will have shifted quicker?

I'm being told SRAM shifts quicker, more rapidity. Is this true in your
eyes?

LIBERATOR wrote:
> > > Well the main deal was is there actually an increase in [rapidity in
> > > shifting] with SRAM rather than Shimano?

> > Huh?

> If I compare side by side SRAM X0 to Shimano XTR, and simultaneously
> shifted, which one will have shifted quicker?
>
> I'm being told SRAM shifts quicker, more rapidity. Is this true in your
> eyes?

The Sram shifts nicely, with a good positive feel. The Shimano shifts
nicely also. I don't see how one would shift faster than the other, all
it does is move the chain. The chain jumping teeth on the cassette is
what makes shifts slow. Try not to get caught up in the marketing
stuff.

-nate

Llatikcuf said:
LIBERATOR wrote:
> > > Well the main deal was is there actually an increase in [rapidity in
> > > shifting] with SRAM rather than Shimano?

> > Huh?

> If I compare side by side SRAM X0 to Shimano XTR, and simultaneously
> shifted, which one will have shifted quicker?
>
> I'm being told SRAM shifts quicker, more rapidity. Is this true in your
> eyes?

The Sram shifts nicely, with a good positive feel. The Shimano shifts
nicely also. I don't see how one would shift faster than the other, all
it does is move the chain. The chain jumping teeth on the cassette is
what makes shifts slow. Try not to get caught up in the marketing
stuff.

-nate

I have always been a shimano user, mainly because when I first got into mtbing, SRAM only did gripshift I believe and having experienced low end gripshift decided that it wasnt for me. Now I have all my bikes rigged up with high end (XT mainly) shimano gear I don't really see the point in switching makes. I don't see how a shifter can be faster or slower tbh. You click the lever it moves a wire which moves a bit of metal which moves the chain, simple stuff really. Top end Shimano stuff dialed in properly shifts really nicely and I am sure the same can be said for Sram.

Is there a weight difference? SRAM X-0 costs more than XTR doesnt it?