Tanjor Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron Hardin

I assembled my new Tanjor Cargo trailer, a really nifty trailer, and pulled it around the block in
the dark once, works great. I can't even tell it's there.

The thing is designed for low air drag. Some warm day I will compare it to my old Burley for peak
speed coasting down some hill.

I used my Burley hitch, which fits right in the Tanjor tongue, getting the best of both worlds.
Tanjor gives you $ off if you use your own hitch. Theirs is fine but Burley's is nicer and patented.

The Doberman is suspicious of Tanjor but will hold a down-stay in it.

The nice thing is that you can seal it up so the dog isn't in the winter wind for an hour, and has a
nice view through the B-29 bombardier's windshield in front for her. Putting the dog in the cold
wind was why I didn't use the Burley half the year. I got the conversion cover, which has a bug
screen and windows you can roll back for any amount of ventilation.

The trailer is pretty dog-shaped; if you got the kid version, they'd sit in tandem. The inside is
furnished like a glider fuselage, pretty exactly.

We'll go out on an excursion in the zero degree F weather tomorrow.

It looks like a Lightman white strobe can be nicely fastened between two cover snaps with a piece of
strap and its strap mount, which should give an altogether cool effect.

No flag on this baby.

http://www.lodrag.com/home.html is their home page.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

Oh, and a heavy-breathing dog fogs up the windshield bubble when it's ten degrees F and the trailer
is closed up.

The dog is heavy-breathing until she realizes it's not a hazard to be in this new trailer, and then
she just rides.
--

In article <[email protected]>, Ron Hardin <[email protected]> writes:
>
> She also likes to ride in it open, without the cover, looking like a fighter pilot behind the
> bubble windshield and cockpit, though it seems to me it ought to be awfully cold even with the
> windshield shielding her.

Maybe you can fix her up with leather flying helmet, goggles and scarf :)

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD

remove NO_SPAM. from address to reply

In article <[email protected]>, "David L. Johnson" <David L. Johnson
<[email protected]>> writes:

> Leave off the scarf. Scarves are not a good idea with wire wheels (think Isadora Duncan).

I was figuring it could just be tucked inside the bomber jacket, under the mae west. But you're
right; stuff happens. I recall once having a shoelace somehow getting neatly wound around a pedal
spindle (well before being edified about the Turquoise Turtle knot). I've also endured several
bindweed (morning glory) entanglements. Don't wanna see any puppies getting hurt.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD

remove NO_SPAM. from address to reply

R.White wrote:
> > Probably if you had the same fairings on the bike you'd go a lot faster on the bike.
>
> Why would wind drag be a concern when I'm sure you're pulling this with your Huffy?
>
> Just wondering.

A Huffy works fine. A Burley into a headwind does not, as shows up in your not using the trailer
much in that potential circumstance.

What's slowest about my Huffy is the 26x2.25 tires, but they compensate me with a very nice ride.

Wind is a large effect, especially once you put a sail up.

If the tires were that bad, I'd change the tires.
--

Today's excursion was in sun but howling wind, 15 degrees F; the Tanjor windshield wound up covered
with salt-ice or something, but it was 50 degrees F inside. The Doberman kept her side of the
windshield unfogged by licking it, an invention of her own. Spit is supposed to be anti-fogging.
Perhaps she knew that.

It wasn't a bad trip; impossible in the Burley, both from the wind and from the road spray and ice
that would have hit the dog.

It had to be salt-ice, because there's no natural ice at that temperature.
--

Several trial runs worked fine. The Lightman strobe that I added isn't bright enough to matter,
though, in snow and full sunlight, so I just took it off.

Closed up, the trailer is at 50 degrees F in full sun when the air temperature is 10 degrees F and a
Doberman is inside. She regards it as fairly nice inside, and jumps back in at the first opportunity
after a ride and you tell her to jump out.

She also likes to ride in it open, without the cover, looking like a fighter pilot behind the bubble
windshield and cockpit, though it seems to me it ought to be awfully cold even with the windshield
shielding her.

Definitely much less wind resistance than the Burley; it must be there but you can't particularly
notice it as wind resistance. We were going into a good wind.

The weight is noticeable by the change in pedal response but it's not the dead sort of thing you get
from wind, that is, it doesn't feel like a loss, just a rearrangement of energy.

Wind resistance ought to be less with the cover on but I didn't notice any change. Maybe at bicycle
speeds it doesn't matter, low Reynolds number or something.
--

Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I assembled my new Tanjor Cargo trailer, a really nifty trailer, and pulled it around the block in
> the dark once, works great. I can't even tell it's there.
>
<snip>
> No flag on this baby.
>
> http://www.lodrag.com/home.html is their home page.

Way too expensive. Could have gotten by with one from Kmart or Wal-Mart for $99.

R.White wrote:
> > http://www.lodrag.com/home.html is their home page.
>
> Way too expensive. Could have gotten by with one from Kmart or Wal-Mart for $99.

No, I have a perfectly fine Burley, but the wind drag is too high from the boxy shape. You haul a
large wall of air along with you.

I mean, it's okay but you wind up not using it; you're going along in a headwind and drop forward on
the bars to cut the drag, and it doesn't cut the drag.

With the Tanjor it does. Most of the drag is still you.

Probably if you had the same fairings on the bike you'd go a lot faster on the bike.
--

18 Jan 2003 17:41:52 -0800, <[email protected]>, [email protected]
(R.White) wrote:

>Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> I assembled my new Tanjor Cargo trailer, a really nifty trailer, and pulled it around the block
>> in the dark once, works great. I can't even tell it's there.
>>
><snip>
>> No flag on this baby.
>>
>> http://www.lodrag.com/home.html is their home page.
>
>Way too expensive. Could have gotten by with one from Kmart or Wal-Mart for $99.

ROTFLMAO
--
zk

Ron Hardin wrote:
> Oh, and a heavy-breathing dog fogs up the windshield bubble when it's ten degrees F and the
> trailer is closed up.
>
> The dog is heavy-breathing until she realizes it's not a hazard to be in this new trailer, and
> then she just rides.

Putting the dog in a new trailer the first time is sort of amusing, as she doesn't want to go in
there. You pick up your 75 lb Doberman and gently lower her into the trailer, but somehow there's
always a leg that catches on the opening as you lower her in, which you successively tuck in only to
find another leg is catching.

There's no struggle, just an infinite recatching of other legs.

Once it's established through very short rides that you can get back out soon, it's not too bad; and
soon she wants to get in, and does so on her own.
--

Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> R.White wrote:
> > > http://www.lodrag.com/home.html is their home page.
> >
> > Way too expensive. Could have gotten by with one from Kmart or Wal-Mart for $99.
>
> No, I have a perfectly fine Burley, but the wind drag is too high from the boxy shape. You haul a
> large wall of air along with you.
>
> I mean, it's okay but you wind up not using it; you're going along in a headwind and drop forward
> on the bars to cut the drag, and it doesn't cut the drag.
>
> With the Tanjor it does. Most of the drag is still you.
>
> Probably if you had the same fairings on the bike you'd go a lot faster on the bike.

Why would wind drag be a concern when I'm sure you're pulling this with your Huffy?

Just wondering.

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 10:00:12 -0500, Tom Keats wrote:

> Maybe you can fix her up with leather flying helmet, goggles and scarf
> :)

Leave off the scarf. Scarves are not a good idea with wire wheels (think Isadora Duncan).

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. -- _`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

Status
Not open for further replies.