Tensioning spokes by "tone"

Harris wrote:

> And you cannot stress relieve just by riding.

Well, not your /wheels/, anyway.

Bill "ride and a nap: ahhhhh" S.

anonymous sniped:

>> Not quite correct. Noise on newly trued wheels means the spokes
>> were torsioned and not relieved.

>> While Brandt's book does a great job on how to avoid this, a much
>> easier way of learning proper techinque is to mark each spoke for
>> its entire length with a black marker. Make a single line down the
>> outside of each spoke. This line should be indicating a condition
>> of no torsion.

>> When you true the wheel, you need to overcorrect by the degree the
>> nipple and spoke move together once the correct alignment is
>> achieved. Then you back off the nipple until the spoke is unwound
>> and the line you made on each spoke is at its original location, no
>> twists!

> That makes sense, but what is the consequence of "relieving" the
> spokes by riding on the wheel? Do I need to do something else now?
> It seems like the wheel is still OK and true after the half hour
> ride.

Well, that doesn't make sense because seeing a hand made stripe on a
spoke is not diagnostic unless the stripe is about 0.5mm wide and
straight, something impractically hard to achieve. Even with such a
stripe, seeing it is difficult and conducive to eye strain, spokes
being reflectively smooth so that a dark stripe is generally invisible
in a lighted environment. Finally, the method outlined in "the
Bicycle Wheel", mentioned above, backing off on a bit of over-shoot
when adjusting spokes, leaves no twist and requires no inspection nor
additional time or effort.

I suspect the suggestion is offered and accepted by people who have
not tried it because it is only theoretically useful.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

>>> While Brandt's book does a great job on how to avoid this, a much
>>> easier way of learning proper techinque is to mark each spoke for
>>> its entire length with a black marker. Make a single line down the
>>> outside of each spoke. This line should be indicating a condition
>>> of no torsion.

[skip]
> Well, that doesn't make sense because seeing a hand made stripe on a
> spoke is not diagnostic unless the stripe is about 0.5mm wide and
> straight, something impractically hard to achieve. Even with such a
> stripe, seeing it is difficult and conducive to eye strain, spokes
> being reflectively smooth so that a dark stripe is generally invisible
> in a lighted environment. Finally, the method outlined in "the
> Bicycle Wheel", mentioned above, backing off on a bit of over-shoot
> when adjusting spokes, leaves no twist and requires no inspection nor
> additional time or effort.
>
> I suspect the suggestion is offered and accepted by people who have
> not tried it because it is only theoretically useful.

I have tried it and it is quite practically useful. Yes, seeing a
stripe is not very easy, but certainly possible. Backing off is
fine, but not with ultra-butted spokes like DT Revolution (2.0/1.5),
which twist terribly. 1/2 turn of a spoke key may just twist the
spoke all the 180 degrees -- too much to back off.

Instead of black marker, a white corrector fluid can be used.
Visible much better, but somewhat harder to remove afterwards.

-- Konstantin

>>> Rode to work this morning and aside from soje initial "spoke
>>> creaking" (I guess the spokes had to "settle down"?!) which
>>> disappeared right away it seems fine so far.

>> That creaking is a sign that you didn't stress-relieve the
>> spokes when they were tensioned. You need to give each pair
>> of spokes a good squeeze as part of the tensioning procedure.

> Not quite correct. Noise on newly trued wheels means the spokes
> were torsioned and not relieved.

Are you trying to say that torsion is not a stress??

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:46:20 GMT, Konstantin Shemyak
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Instead of black marker, a white corrector fluid can be used.

I see I'm not the only one! Greatly useful stuff for marking things.

>Visible much better, but somewhat harder to remove afterwards.

Easy. Scrape with knife, and/or minor elbow grease with wet rag.
--
Rick Onanian

Weisse Luft wrote in message ...

>Yes, a single black mark would work but I have yet to find a permanent
>marker that will adhere to shiny spokes :) Making a thin black line is
>redundant.

permanent marker not required. Use valve marker.

Trevor

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:06:07 GMT,
[email protected] wrote:

>anonymous sniped:
>
>>> Not quite correct. Noise on newly trued wheels means the spokes
>>> were torsioned and not relieved.

>>> While Brandt's book does a great job on how to avoid this, a much
>>> easier way of learning proper techinque is to mark each spoke for
>>> its entire length with a black marker. Make a single line down the
>>> outside of each spoke. This line should be indicating a condition
>>> of no torsion.

>>> When you true the wheel, you need to overcorrect by the degree the
>>> nipple and spoke move together once the correct alignment is
>>> achieved. Then you back off the nipple until the spoke is unwound
>>> and the line you made on each spoke is at its original location, no
>>> twists!

>> That makes sense, but what is the consequence of "relieving" the
>> spokes by riding on the wheel? Do I need to do something else now?
>> It seems like the wheel is still OK and true after the half hour
>> ride.

>Well, that doesn't make sense because seeing a hand made stripe on a
>spoke is not diagnostic unless the stripe is about 0.5mm wide and
>straight, something impractically hard to achieve. Even with such a
>stripe, seeing it is difficult and conducive to eye strain, spokes
>being reflectively smooth so that a dark stripe is generally invisible
>in a lighted environment. Finally, the method outlined in "the
>Bicycle Wheel", mentioned above, backing off on a bit of over-shoot
>when adjusting spokes, leaves no twist and requires no inspection nor
>additional time or effort.
>
>I suspect the suggestion is offered and accepted by people who have
>not tried it because it is only theoretically useful.
>
>Jobst Brandt
>[email protected]

Dear Jobst,

Am I right in suspecting that you have not tried the
suggestion and that your objections (perhaps valid) are only
theoretical?

Carl Fogel

Rick Onanian wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 23:55:26 +1000, Weisse Luft
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Yes, a single black mark would work but I have yet to find a permanent
>>marker that will adhere to shiny spokes :) Making a thin black line is
>>redundant.

> Use "Liquid Paper" or white paint. Actually, any color paint, as
> long as it's thick like Liquid Paper/White Out. Then, you can remove
> it by scraping.

If you had pasta spokes, you could mark them with spaghetti sauce.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:26:13 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:
>If you had pasta spokes, you could mark them with spaghetti sauce.

I'm hungry.
--
Rick Onanian

Carl Fogel writes:

>>> That makes sense, but what is the consequence of "relieving" the
>>> spokes by riding on the wheel? Do I need to do something else now?
>>> It seems like the wheel is still OK and true after the half hour
>>> ride.

>> Well, that doesn't make sense because seeing a hand made stripe on a
>> spoke is not diagnostic unless the stripe is about 0.5mm wide and
>> straight, something impractically hard to achieve. Even with such a
>> stripe, seeing it is difficult and conducive to eye strain, spokes
>> being reflectively smooth so that a dark stripe is generally invisible
>> in a lighted environment. Finally, the method outlined in "the
>> Bicycle Wheel", mentioned above, backing off on a bit of over-shoot
>> when adjusting spokes, leaves no twist and requires no inspection nor
>> additional time or effort.

>> I suspect the suggestion is offered and accepted by people who have
>> not tried it because it is only theoretically useful.

> Am I right in suspecting that you have not tried the suggestion and
> that your objections (perhaps valid) are only theoretical?

The suggested method is not new and has occurred to others in the
past. I have tried it and found it lacking as I described. I started
working on wheels more than 50 years ago and have seen about anything
you can imagine being tried and discarded. You ought to have noticed
from your research in past items I have written that not much
conjecture or off the wall stuff appears there. I am not guessing
about these things.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

Rick Onanian wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:26:13 -0500, Tom Sherman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> If you had pasta spokes, you could mark them with spaghetti sauce.

> I'm hungry.

I recommend against eating your bicycle, regardless of material, unless
you're truly desperate.

--
Benjamin Lewis

I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of
oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate
commerce. -- J. Edgar Hoover

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:06:07 GMT,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> >anonymous sniped:

> >> That makes sense, but what is the consequence of "relieving" the
> >> spokes by riding on the wheel? Do I need to do something else now?
> >> It seems like the wheel is still OK and true after the half hour
> >> ride.

> >Well, that doesn't make sense because seeing a hand made stripe on a
> >spoke is not diagnostic unless the stripe is about 0.5mm wide and
> >straight, something impractically hard to achieve. Even with such a
> >stripe, seeing it is difficult and conducive to eye strain, spokes
> >being reflectively smooth so that a dark stripe is generally invisible
> >in a lighted environment. Finally, the method outlined in "the
> >Bicycle Wheel", mentioned above, backing off on a bit of over-shoot
> >when adjusting spokes, leaves no twist and requires no inspection nor
> >additional time or effort.
> >
> >I suspect the suggestion is offered and accepted by people who have
> >not tried it because it is only theoretically useful.
> >
> >Jobst Brandt
> >[email protected]

> Dear Jobst,
>
> Am I right in suspecting that you have not tried the
> suggestion and that your objections (perhaps valid) are only
> theoretical?
>
> Carl Fogel

I'm scratching my head.... Is this all a joke about the marker line &
all. Maybe i have had a long week but you guys almost have me believe
someone has actually done this.... Please forgive me if i missed the
punch line.

On 13 Aug 2004 13:08:16 -0700, [email protected] (Evan
Evans) wrote:

>[email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:06:07 GMT,
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> >anonymous sniped:

>> >Well, that doesn't make sense because seeing a hand made stripe on a
>> >spoke is not diagnostic unless the stripe is about 0.5mm wide and
>> >straight, something impractically hard to achieve. Even with such a
>> >stripe, seeing it is difficult and conducive to eye strain, spokes
>> >being reflectively smooth so that a dark stripe is generally invisible
>> >in a lighted environment. Finally, the method outlined in "the
>> >Bicycle Wheel", mentioned above, backing off on a bit of over-shoot
>> >when adjusting spokes, leaves no twist and requires no inspection nor
>> >additional time or effort.
>> >
>> >I suspect the suggestion is offered and accepted by people who have
>> >not tried it because it is only theoretically useful.
>> >
>> >Jobst Brandt
>> >[email protected]

>> Dear Jobst,
>>
>> Am I right in suspecting that you have not tried the
>> suggestion and that your objections (perhaps valid) are only
>> theoretical?
>>
>> Carl Fogel

>I'm scratching my head.... Is this all a joke about the marker line &
>all. Maybe i have had a long week but you guys almost have me believe
>someone has actually done this.... Please forgive me if i missed the
>punch line.

Dear Evan,

It is indeed humorous that we squabble about these things.

But no, I don't think that the fellows who have posted that
they mark their spokes to observe twist are joking.

If spokes do indeed twist (everyone seems to agree that they
do), then a line drawn down the untwisted spoke ought to
reveal it. I haven't tried it (yet), but I expect that it's
as much fun as using a tensiometer.

Elsewhere, Jobst Brandt has mentioned attaching post-it
markers to spokes to demonstrate twist:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&[email protected]

or

http://tinyurl.com/25l2c

In that post, "sued" is a truly unfortunate typo for "used."

Carl Fogel

[email protected] writes:

> It is indeed humorous that we squabble about these things.

> But no, I don't think that the fellows who have posted that they
> mark their spokes to observe twist are joking.

> If spokes do indeed twist (everyone seems to agree that they do),
> then a line drawn down the untwisted spoke ought to reveal it. I
> haven't tried it (yet), but I expect that it's as much fun as using
> a tensiometer.

> Elsewhere, Jobst Brandt has mentioned attaching post-it markers to
> spokes to demonstrate twist:

> http://tinyurl.com/25l2c

> In that post, "sued" is a truly unfortunate typo for "used."

The post-it is a dynamic display of twist and not a means of
untwisting spokes. If you think you can readily see a helix with a
1/8 to 1/4 twist on a spoke 300mm long then you have more acute
eyesight than I. As I mentioned, lines on a barber pole make a full
revolution on a large diameter with a helix angle of about 45 degrees.
Helix angle on a 300mm long spoke is less than one degree, sued or used.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:47:24 GMT,
[email protected] wrote:

>[email protected] writes:
>
>> It is indeed humorous that we squabble about these things.

>> But no, I don't think that the fellows who have posted that they
>> mark their spokes to observe twist are joking.

>> If spokes do indeed twist (everyone seems to agree that they do),
>> then a line drawn down the untwisted spoke ought to reveal it. I
>> haven't tried it (yet), but I expect that it's as much fun as using
>> a tensiometer.

>> Elsewhere, Jobst Brandt has mentioned attaching post-it markers to
>> spokes to demonstrate twist:

>> http://tinyurl.com/25l2c

>> In that post, "sued" is a truly unfortunate typo for "used."

>The post-it is a dynamic display of twist and not a means of
>untwisting spokes. If you think you can readily see a helix with a
>1/8 to 1/4 twist on a spoke 300mm long then you have more acute
>eyesight than I. As I mentioned, lines on a barber pole make a full
>revolution on a large diameter with a helix angle of about 45 degrees.
>Helix angle on a 300mm long spoke is less than one degree, sued or used.
>
>Jobst Brandt
>[email protected]

Dear Jobst,

Perhaps the people who like to draw lines on spokes have
sufficiently acute vision to notice that the line has moved
at the bottom 1/4 to 1/8 of a turn?

It's been suggested in this thread that a mark near the
bottom is enough to show the twist.

Carl Fogel

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:47:24 GMT,
[email protected] wrote:

>[email protected] writes:
>
>> It is indeed humorous that we squabble about these things.

>> But no, I don't think that the fellows who have posted that they
>> mark their spokes to observe twist are joking.

>> If spokes do indeed twist (everyone seems to agree that they do),
>> then a line drawn down the untwisted spoke ought to reveal it. I
>> haven't tried it (yet), but I expect that it's as much fun as using
>> a tensiometer.

>> Elsewhere, Jobst Brandt has mentioned attaching post-it markers to
>> spokes to demonstrate twist:

>> http://tinyurl.com/25l2c

>> In that post, "sued" is a truly unfortunate typo for "used."

>The post-it is a dynamic display of twist and not a means of
>untwisting spokes. If you think you can readily see a helix with a
>1/8 to 1/4 twist on a spoke 300mm long then you have more acute
>eyesight than I. As I mentioned, lines on a barber pole make a full
>revolution on a large diameter with a helix angle of about 45 degrees.
>Helix angle on a 300mm long spoke is less than one degree, sued or used.
>
>Jobst Brandt
>[email protected]

Dear Jobst,

Perhaps the people who like to draw lines on spokes have
sufficiently acute vision to notice that the line has moved
at the bottom 1/4 to 1/8 of a turn?

It's been suggested in this thread that a mark near the
bottom is enough to show the twist.

Carl Fogel
On a well-lit work bench, I can clearly see the black Sharpie marker line on my spokes. I know Jobst doesn't use Revolution spokes so his 1/4-1/2 turn is valid for 14/15 or 15/16 spokes.

I use Revolutions exclusively. And on the drive side rear, the Sharpie marking gives me 100% noise free truing, not that I have had to do it in a while. Drawing a thin, straight line on the spoke is easy. The felt tip has a larger diameter hub which I use to guide the side of the felt tip along the spoke. With light pressure and a new pen, the line is very thin, even on the 1.5 mm section. It only takes seconds to do the entire wheel from nip to crossing.

Alcohol removes the ink rapidly. I use Everclear but any C1-C3 alcohol will work. I prefer Everclear because I know its not too terribly toxic, unless I drink it ;)

Weisse Lift snipes anonymously:

>>> The post-it is a dynamic display of twist and not a means of
>>> untwisting spokes. If you think you can readily see a helix with
>>> a 1/8 to 1/4 twist on a spoke 300mm long then you have more acute
>>> eyesight than I. As I mentioned, lines on a barber pole make a
>>> full revolution on a large diameter with a helix angle of about 45
>>> degrees. Helix angle on a 300mm long spoke is less than one
>>> degree, sued or used.

>> Perhaps the people who like to draw lines on spokes have
>> sufficiently acute vision to notice that the line has moved at the
>> bottom 1/4 to 1/8 of a turn?

>> It's been suggested in this thread that a mark near the bottom is
>> enough to show the twist.

> On a well-lit work bench, I can clearly see the black Sharpie marker
> line on my spokes. I know Jobst doesn't use Revolution spokes so
> his 1/4-1/2 turn is valid for 14/15 or 15/16 spokes.

> I use Revolutions exclusively. And on the drive side rear, the
> Sharpie marking gives me 100% noise free truing, not that I have had
> to do it in a while. Drawing a thin, straight line on the spoke is
> easy. The felt tip has a larger diameter hub which I use to guide
> the side of the felt tip along the spoke. With light pressure and a
> new pen, the line is very thin, even on the 1.5 mm section. It only
> takes seconds to do the entire wheel from nip to crossing.

It is my experience that 1.5mm diameter spokes (Revolution) and 24 or
fewer spoke wheels with even 1.8mm diameter spoke shafts cannot be
adequately tightened without twisting off with a sharp crack and an
ejected crossbow like missile (the spoke end) flying through the air.
For this reason, I have unloaded the spoke to be adjusted by pulling
the rim toward the approach side of the spoke. In a wheel building
machine, this can be accomplished with a pneumatic actuator pressing
the rim inward to momentarily unload the spoke.

I don't see how you can get a wheel adequately tight without such
methods, spokes not withstanding the required torque even when well
lubricated. My experience with 1.5mm diameter spokes was with Berg
and Radaelli spokes and I shot a few of these into the ceiling. Hence
the warning in "the Bicycle Wheel" to not be in the line of fire when
tightening spokes. I built 24 spoke track wheels and had the same
experience with 1.8-1.6 conventional DT spokes.

> Alcohol removes the ink rapidly. I use Everclear but any C1-C3
> alcohol will work. I prefer Everclear because I know its not too
> terribly toxic, unless I drink it.

In any case, marking spokes is a tedious method of preventing residual
twist in spokes. A skilled hand can do the same easily and faster. I
explain, with diagram in "the Bicycle Wheel", how to feel twist with a
spoke wrench while adjusting a spoke.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

Weisse Luft <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] Wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:47:24 GMT,
> > [email protected] wrote:

> > >The post-it is a dynamic display of twist and not a means of
> > >untwisting spokes. If you think you can readily see a helix with a
> > >1/8 to 1/4 twist on a spoke 300mm long then you have more acute
> > >eyesight than I. As I mentioned, lines on a barber pole make a full
> > >revolution on a large diameter with a helix angle of about 45 degrees.
> > >Helix angle on a 300mm long spoke is less than one degree, sued or

> used.
> > >
> > >Jobst Brandt
> > >[email protected]

> > Dear Jobst,
> >
> > Perhaps the people who like to draw lines on spokes have
> > sufficiently acute vision to notice that the line has moved
> > at the bottom 1/4 to 1/8 of a turn?
> >
> > It's been suggested in this thread that a mark near the
> > bottom is enough to show the twist.
> >
> > Carl Fogel

> On a well-lit work bench, I can clearly see the black Sharpie marker
> line on my spokes. I know Jobst doesn't use Revolution spokes so his
> 1/4-1/2 turn is valid for 14/15 or 15/16 spokes.
>
> I use Revolutions exclusively. And on the drive side rear, the Sharpie
> marking gives me 100% noise free truing, not that I have had to do it in
> a while. Drawing a thin, straight line on the spoke is easy. The felt
> tip has a larger diameter hub which I use to guide the side of the felt
> tip along the spoke. With light pressure and a new pen, the line is
> very thin, even on the 1.5 mm section. It only takes seconds to do the
> entire wheel from nip to crossing.
>
> Alcohol removes the ink rapidly. I use Everclear but any C1-C3 alcohol
> will work. I prefer Everclear because I know its not too terribly
> toxic, unless I drink it ;)

I still need help! We are marking the spoke to see the amount of twist
in the spoke. Why do we need to know the amount of twist? I normaly
just true the wheel until it's round & sraight. I am still missing
something.

On 13 Aug 2004 19:04:50 -0700, [email protected] (Evan
Evans) wrote:

[snip]

>I still need help! We are marking the spoke to see the amount of twist
>in the spoke. Why do we need to know the amount of twist? I normaly
>just true the wheel until it's round & sraight. I am still missing
>something.

Dear Evan,

The idea is to end up with the wheel well trued and
tensioned, but with no twist in the spokes to later unscrew
and goof things up.

If you true and tension the wheel in a stand without taking
into account the twisting of the spokes under high tension,
the spokes will start to untwist when you ride down the road
on the wheel and your weight causes the spokes to lose
tension as they roll under the hub and randomly untwist.

The "ping" noises heard by many riders riding on new wheels
are generally thought to be twisted spokes abruptly
untwisting. Shortly afterward, the riders may notice their
beautfully trued wheels are no longer true.

Carl Fogel

Weisse Luft <[email protected]> writes:

> [email protected] Wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:47:24 GMT,
> > [email protected] wrote:

> > >The post-it is a dynamic display of twist and not a means of
> > >untwisting spokes. If you think you can readily see a helix with a
> > >1/8 to 1/4 twist on a spoke 300mm long then you have more acute
> > >eyesight than I. As I mentioned, lines on a barber pole make a full
> > >revolution on a large diameter with a helix angle of about 45 degrees.
> > >Helix angle on a 300mm long spoke is less than one degree, sued or

> > used.
> > >
> > >Jobst Brandt
> > >[email protected]

> > Dear Jobst,
> >
> > Perhaps the people who like to draw lines on spokes have
> > sufficiently acute vision to notice that the line has moved
> > at the bottom 1/4 to 1/8 of a turn?
> >
> > It's been suggested in this thread that a mark near the
> > bottom is enough to show the twist.
> >
> > Carl Fogel

> On a well-lit work bench, I can clearly see the black Sharpie marker
> line on my spokes. I know Jobst doesn't use Revolution spokes so his
> 1/4-1/2 turn is valid for 14/15 or 15/16 spokes.
>
> I use Revolutions exclusively. And on the drive side rear, the Sharpie
> marking gives me 100% noise free truing, not that I have had to do it in
> a while. Drawing a thin, straight line on the spoke is easy. The felt
> tip has a larger diameter hub which I use to guide the side of the felt
> tip along the spoke. With light pressure and a new pen, the line is
> very thin, even on the 1.5 mm section. It only takes seconds to do the
> entire wheel from nip to crossing.

why is it necessary to mark the entire length of the spoke rather than
just a single mark near the nipple?