The Bush to call cow tracks & Jeep trails: Highways ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
"IdaSpode" <not@home_watching.tv> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 25 Jul 2003 19:02:13 GMT, [email protected] (Lloyd Parker) wrote:
>
>
> >CFCs have been banned.
>
> Maybe so, but not forgotten, there is still plenty of it around, in use:

Define 'plenty' in comparison to industrial output prior to the Protocol.

>
> "The supply of black market CFC-12 is believed to come from Russia, China, India, eastern Europe
> and other countries that do not yet have a ban. The CFC is smuggled into the United States using a
> number of different methods. Sometimes the containers are falsely labeled as another chemical
> which is similar to CFC-12, or it is claimed as recycled CFC, or it is hidden among a larger
> shipment of legal chemicals ..."
>
> http://www.american.edu/projects/mandala/TED/CFCTRADE.htm

The amount of such smugging, relative to the amounts of the material that were being used and
discarded as a matter of routine, are trivial. Trade in many things such as exotic animals and
skins, not to mention drugs still goes on despite the most rigourous regulation. It isn't about an
absolute non-existence of CFCs, it is about the amount. Much much reduced.

http://unfccc.int/program/mis/wam/cfc1200.pdf Compare numbers in 1987 with the 2000 figures and
looking at the rate of decline the numbers now will be signficantly lower.

"IRKurt" wrote

>- Just for clarity, because I am wonder if some of the eco-posters are
>- seriously mis-informed or just trying to mislead:
>-
>- Are you assuming that all public lands/forests are available and open for
>- riding?

I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. I assume that one is allowed to ride on NF and BLM unless
otherwise posted or restricted. Some forests may have total bans for local reasons. Not so?

Of course, in Parks ya need a permit to ****. I avoid them even tho Yosemite is 1 1/2 hr away. That
what overpopulation does. Too many rules. You guys live near LA I take it. And you complain about
too many rules? Why?

>- Are you assuming that there has been an increase in land made available in
>- the last five years for off-road motorcycles (in the USA)?

Nope.

>- If not, exactly what is your objective?

Information exchange. Regarding ORV use, because they are high-impact they must be highly
restricted. On a purely theoretical level, the NF and BLM land I know is overused, so more impact is
out of the question. To be fair in this regard, every person should get 100 theoretical "impact
points," that being defined as the amout of impact the average user consumes. If you've ever read
your local Forest Plan, you know this sort of study is exactly what the FS does, its rather
scientific. They even measure "visual resources," as well asboard feet. USNF, "Land of many uses."

Does that sound fair, as a starting point? --Doug

Andrew Langer<[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, Lloyd Parker says...
> >
>
> >>>
> >>> When is a cow track or foot path a ''highway''?
> >>
> >>Well, let's see. Revise Statute 2477 preceeded the invention of the automobile by some 40 years.
> >>What do you think the definition of *highway* was 40 years before the existence of the first
> >>automobile, eh? Most likely footpaths, cowpaths, horsepaths and wagon paths because that's all
> >>there was 40 years before the invention of the fukin' automobile.
> >
> >The definition wasn't an overgrown trail not used for 50 years.
>
> Yeah, well, Dr. Parker, just why in the world do you think that those trails went unused for 50
> years? Could it be possibly because the federal government asserted jurisdiction over those
> trails, and those who had theretofore held rights in them were unwilling to impinge on what the
> federal government claimed as its own?
>
> - Andrew Langer
>

Well Gov. Owens is pushing hard that any known cow trail in Colorado be seized as developmental
areas of the state - A Dalek much like Langer!

Andy Weaks <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Andrew Langer wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Lloyd Parker says...
> > >
>
> > >>>
> > >>> When is a cow track or foot path a ''highway''?
> > >>
> > >>Well, let's see. Revise Statute 2477 preceeded the invention of the automobile by some 40
> > >>years. What do you think the definition of *highway* was 40 years before the existence of the
> > >>first automobile, eh? Most likely footpaths, cowpaths, horsepaths and wagon paths because
> > >>that's all there was 40 years before the invention of the fukin' automobile.
> > >
> > >The definition wasn't an overgrown trail not used for 50 years.
> >
> > Yeah, well, Dr. Parker, just why in the world do you think that those trails went unused for 50
> > years? Could it be possibly because the federal government asserted jurisdiction over those
> > trails, and those who had theretofore held rights in them were unwilling to impinge on what the
> > federal government claimed as its own?
> >
> >
>
> or maybe they just became unused because there wasn't anything economic there and therefor they
> give up what flimsy "rights" they had to them. Anyway, it is FEDERAL LAND and I would guess that
> all Americans should have a say what goes on on OUR land. It isn't just fat

> MY land. Uses that cause degradation just for a few ***** and giggles maybe shouldn't be allowed.

Indeed:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/opinion/article/0,1299,DRMN_38_2106899,00.html

Speakout: New threat to Dinosaur monument By Kurt Kunkle, Special to the News July 14, 2003

When I first visited Dinosaur National Monument in northwest Colorado in May, I didn't know a lot
about it. I knew there were some dinosaur bones there. I knew that 50 years ago, the Bureau of
Reclamation proposed to put a big cement plug of a dam in the monument that would have swamped the
beautiful Echo Park and the Green and Yampa river canyons. I knew that conservationist David Brower,
with allies including author Wallace Stegner, had won the fight in Congress to keep the monument -
managed by the National Park Service - dam-free. Thank goodness there are still beautiful
free-flowing rivers there!

What I didn't know was that I'd fall in love with Dinosaur at first sight. The Yampa River Canyon
is a jaw-dropping sight as it snakes through millions of years of orange-yellow sandstone. The
vistas of the river and surrounding mountains are spectacular. This is some of the best America
has to offer.

And seeing the rugged beauty of the place only made me more saddened about the reason I'd come: to
respond to a threat as big as the Echo Park Dam. That threat is posed by an obscure Civil War-era
right-of-way law called R.S. 2477.

Under the 1800s law, states and counties were granted rights of way where they constructed highways
across public lands not set aside for other uses (like national parks or national forests). By the
1970s Congress realized the West was settled and repealed the law in 1976, but counties still could
claim that rights of way were built before then and get a form of legal title to America's public
land. In the case of Dinosaur, this means that someone can claim highways built before 1938, when
President Franklin Roosevelt protected most of the monument's 200,000 acres, are rights of way under
the repealed law.

I'd come out here to look at the threat the old law posed to Dinosaur.

In January, the pro-oil, anti-wilderness Moffat County Commissioners claimed 240 miles of
"constructed highways" laced the monument, although the Park Service found almost the entire
monument roadless in 1978. In entirety, Moffat County is seeking legal title to more than 2,000
miles of rights of way in special places like Browns Park Wildlife Refuge, Dinosaur National
Monument and several proposed wilderness areas. Using maps provided by the county, I hiked, studied
the ground, and scanned the horizon searching for these highways that are so important that Moffat
County is spending taxpayer dollars to claim them. I didn't find much: a few fading jeep tracks;
some impossible-to-follow cow trails; some footpath "highways" that the county claimed were
constructed by Native Americans before European settlement. The county also claimed a 20-mile
stretch of the sheer-walled Yampa River Canyon, which was clearly constructed by tens of millions of
years of floods, not by the hand of man.

The absurdity of calling these fading tracks and footpaths "constructed highways" might not stop
them from being bulldozed into real highways.

Gov. Bill Owens is now pushing the Interior Department to use standards that would give Moffat
County the right to claim cattle tracks as constructed highways, and the right to turn them into
two-lanes - without environmental permitting.

The need for new roads is also questionable. Moffat County has an extensive road system including
a county roads system and public land road system. You can drive just about anywhere you want in
the county.

The few places that roads don't go should remain road-free to protect wildlife habitat and quiet
places for people to enjoy.

As I stood on the rim of the Yampa River Canyon, overlooking a huge gooseneck carved into stone, I
thought about the long odds Brower, Stegner and their many friends beat in making this incredible
view something I could still enjoy. I could only hope that their work would not be undone by
shortsighted politicians five decades later, and that a new generation of conservation leaders would
drive a stake through the heart of a century-old law - a law that has come back to life to haunt the
serenity of this magnificent place.

Kurt Kunkle roams Colorado's back country inventorying wilderness lands for the Colorado
Environmental Coalition.

"Michael Rothwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Brian McGarry wrote:
>
> > "Michael Rothwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> >
> >>- I dont litter (unlike many hikers), and I dont go off trail (unlike many hikers and horseback
> >> riders).
> >
> >
> > Michael, littering in the back-country is OK....It's just making
deposits
> > for future archeologists to dip up.
> >
> >
> Sorry, My bad
>

Don't you think they'd just go to a landfill to dig up trash? Seems a more likely place to find
trash than out in the wilderness.

"Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Brian McGarry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Lloyd Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > The wildnerness is already there.
> >
> > Right you are Lloyd, the Wilderness Areas are natural resources waiting
to
> > be exploited for our benefit.
>
> The 'masters of earth' fallacy.
>
> >
> > Don't worry, it'll take centuries before we log and mine it all.
>
> The 'boundless resources' fallacy.
>
> >
> >
> > > The wildnerness belongs to all of us, not just you who would rape and
> > pillage
> > > it.
> >
> > Again, do really believe that humans have capabilities to destroy the
> Earth?
>
> Agiain the 'non-sequitor' fallacy.
>
> > If manage our natural resources poorly, humans suffer the consequences.
> The
> > Earth will more or less continue, the same as always.
>
> Depends on what you mean by 'more or less'. The cockroaches that are the only life to thrive in
> the remaining biological scum may thank you but I

>
> >
> > Neither the Earth or Mankind need Wilderness Areas to survive, but
humans
> do
> > need to exploit the environment to survive.
>
> We do need wilderness to survive as humans. Only those who have been 'dehumanised' to the degree
> of becoming pretty much a 'alw of the jungle' animal do not need nature. You even state that we
> NEED the environment
while
> you do it only on the basis of 'exploitation'. Your flaw is your failure
to
> understand that endless and unlimited exploitation will destroy the environment that we need ( to
> make sustainable for the future).
>
>
>

If we need this wilderness so badly, why are tree huggers like you attempting to lock everybody out?
Won't we all die horrible deaths if we stay out of the woods?

"Jason Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Brian McGarry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Lloyd Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > >
> > > > The wildnerness is already there.
> > >
> > > Right you are Lloyd, the Wilderness Areas are natural resources
waiting
> to
> > > be exploited for our benefit.
> >
> > The 'masters of earth' fallacy.
> >
> > >
> > > Don't worry, it'll take centuries before we log and mine it all.
> >
> > The 'boundless resources' fallacy.
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > > The wildnerness belongs to all of us, not just you who would rape
and
> > > pillage
> > > > it.
> > >
> > > Again, do really believe that humans have capabilities to destroy the
> > Earth?
> >
> > Agiain the 'non-sequitor' fallacy.
> >
> > > If manage our natural resources poorly, humans suffer the
consequences.
> > The
> > > Earth will more or less continue, the same as always.
> >
> > Depends on what you mean by 'more or less'. The cockroaches that are the only life to thrive in
> > the remaining biological scum may thank you but I

> >
> > >
> > > Neither the Earth or Mankind need Wilderness Areas to survive, but
> humans
> > do
> > > need to exploit the environment to survive.
> >
> > We do need wilderness to survive as humans. Only those who have been 'dehumanised' to the degree
> > of becoming pretty much a 'alw of the
jungle'
> > animal do not need nature. You even state that we NEED the environment
> while
> > you do it only on the basis of 'exploitation'. Your flaw is your failure
> to
> > understand that endless and unlimited exploitation will destroy the environment that we need (
> > to make sustainable for the future).
> >
> >
> >
>
> If we need this wilderness so badly, why are tree huggers like you attempting to lock everybody
> out? Won't we all die horrible deaths if we stay out of the woods?

Is this supposed to be some sort of joke? Between the non-sequitors and the red herrings there
doesn't seem to be much to respond to but I'll try.

1: Who is a tree hugger and how do you define them?
2: Who is trying to lock everyone out?
3: "We do need wilderness to survive as humans" doesn't imply death of the body. Only the soul and
spirit. You do NOT have to destroy something to gain benefit from it's existence. Gaining benefit
does not need to be a matter of life and death.

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 07:47:24 -0400, "Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote:

>1: Who is a tree hugger and how do you define them?

One who hugs trees.

>2: Who is trying to lock everyone out?

The tree huggers.

>3: "We do need wilderness to survive as humans" doesn't imply death of the body. Only the soul and
> spirit. You do NOT have to destroy something to gain benefit from it's existence. Gaining
> benefit does not need to be a matter of life and death.

Are you for or against separation of church and state? I'm going to assume you're for it. Yet you
want laws to protect the soul and spirit.

Please resume your inane tirade.

"scrape at mindspring dot com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 07:47:24 -0400, "Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >1: Who is a tree hugger and how do you define them?
>
> One who hugs trees.

Well it can't be me then, as I have never hugged a tree in my life.

>
> >2: Who is trying to lock everyone out?
>
> The tree huggers.

That is starting to look like circular logic. Anyone who is trying to lock everyone out must
therefore be a tree hugger because tree huggers are trying to lock everyone out. The brainpower
needed for such logical nonsense is minimal. The meaning is even less significant.

>
> >3: "We do need wilderness to survive as humans" doesn't imply death of
the
> >body. Only the soul and spirit. You do NOT have to destroy something to
gain
> >benefit from it's existence. Gaining benefit does not need to be a matter
of
> >life and death.
>
> Are you for or against separation of church and state? I'm going to assume you're for it. Yet you
> want laws to protect the soul and spirit.

No. I want laws to protect the wilderness. Separation of church and state does not involve burning
down the churches or the capital building.

>
> Please resume your inane tirade.

Thanks. I will resume my reasoned postings and hope that you come to appreciate the logic of them
someday instead of making more non-sequitors and red herrings.

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 08:24:37 -0400, "Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >1: Who is a tree hugger and how do you define them?
>>
>> One who hugs trees.
>
>Well it can't be me then, as I have never hugged a tree in my life.
>
>>
>> >2: Who is trying to lock everyone out?
>>
>> The tree huggers.
>
>That is starting to look like circular logic. Anyone who is trying to lock everyone out must
>therefore be a tree hugger because tree huggers are trying to lock everyone out. The brainpower
>needed for such logical nonsense is minimal. The meaning is even less significant.
>
>>
>> >3: "We do need wilderness to survive as humans" doesn't imply death of
>the
>> >body. Only the soul and spirit. You do NOT have to destroy something to
>gain
>> >benefit from it's existence. Gaining benefit does not need to be a matter
>of
>> >life and death.
>>
>> Are you for or against separation of church and state? I'm going to assume you're for it. Yet you
>> want laws to protect the soul and spirit.
>
>No. I want laws to protect the wilderness. Separation of church and state does not involve burning
>down the churches or the capital building.

As you stated above, you want laws to protect the "soul and spirit". I realize it's a tough thing to
do, but you ought to try and read some of your own babble sometime. It's hilarious.

>> Please resume your inane tirade.
>
>Thanks. I will resume my reasoned postings and hope that you come to appreciate the logic of them
>someday instead of making more non-sequitors and red herrings.

Replying to your questions is now considered by you to be a red herring? That's pretty funny.

"scrape at mindspring dot com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 07:47:24 -0400, "Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >1: Who is a tree hugger and how do you define them?
>
> One who hugs trees.

Well it can't be me then, as I have never hugged a tree in my life.

>
> >2: Who is trying to lock everyone out?
>
> The tree huggers.

That is starting to look like circular logic. Anyone who is trying to lock everyone out must
therefore be a tree hugger because tree huggers are trying to lock everyone out. The brainpower
needed for such logical nonsense is minimal. The meaning is even less significant.

>
> >3: "We do need wilderness to survive as humans" doesn't imply death of
the
> >body. Only the soul and spirit. You do NOT have to destroy something to
gain
> >benefit from it's existence. Gaining benefit does not need to be a matter
of
> >life and death.
>
> Are you for or against separation of church and state? I'm going to assume you're for it. Yet you
> want laws to protect the soul and spirit.

No. I want laws to protect the wilderness. Separation of church and state does not involve burning
down the churches or the capital building.

>
> Please resume your inane tirade.

Thanks. I will resume my reasoned postings and hope that you come to appreciate the logic of them
someday instead of making more non-sequitors and red herrings.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~1534160,00.html

Headline:

Article Published: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 12:00:00 AM MST The roads less traveled Moffat County is
laying claim to little-known rights of way across pristine lands, intending to block federal
wilderness designations that might stand in the way of economic growth

Post / Shaun Stanley

By Theo Stein, Denver Post Staff Writer BROWNS PARK - Signs on the lonely roads of this dusty corner
of northwest Colorado welcome Moffat County visitors to "The Real West." Butch Cassidy, rustlers and
other outlaws once found safety in the dry hills and dramatic canyons. A plaque on the town green in
Maybell, population 289, still celebrates lady bandits and the old range wars, when cattlemen
stampeded 3,800 sheep over a cliff and shot the shepherd for trying to interfere.

Now, county commissioners are citing a Civil War-era mining law to claim hundreds of miles of old
roads and public rights of way across a national monument, a national wildlife refuge and thousands
of acres of roadless land in hopes of staving off wilderness designations they fear will throttle
the region's economic future.

Many of the road claims thread through the vast, undeveloped Vermillion Basin, a stark desert of
juniper, sage and broken hills - and a place county officials want the Bureau of Land Management to
lease for natural gas production.

Others cross already protected lands, like Dinosaur National Monument and Browns Park National
Wildlife Refuge, where for decades locals have chafed at their inability to graze cattle, create
gravel mines or build subdivisions.

In a region dependent on mining and livestock, officials are counting on the revenues from energy
production to fund their schools, fix their roads and provide jobs in the coming decades. Moffat
County's top 10 taxpayers, energy companies that rely on federal mineral leases, contribute 68
percent of the county budget.

But former rancher **** Randolph, 76, who ran cattle in the wildlife refuge from 1958 to 1965, said
the county's road claims are ridiculous.

"The only reason they're saying this is because of their visceral antagonism to anything that has
anything to do with the word 'wilderness.' It's anathema to them," he said.

Congress repealed the law in question, Revised Statute 2477, in 1976, but grandfathered in existing
claims. The 1866 law states in its entirety that, "The right of way for the construction of highways
over public land, not reserved for public uses, is hereby granted."

The law's broad language has given federal land managers headaches ever since. For example, the law
failed to define what constitutes "construction" or a public "highway."

Some of the claimed rights of way are already roads. But most, the county natural resource director
says, are cow paths, Jeep trails, or historic routes that have long since vanished into the
landscape.

Two years ago, the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver adopted the Bush administration's
argument that there must be evidence of a construction to prove a right of way. But Moffat County
has a different definition, one officials are demanding that the Interior Department accept.

"We have said from the beginning that there is no need for physical evidence to be present to prove
a right of way," said Jeff Comstock, director of natural resources for Moffat County. "The need for
a route by the public is all that's required. It may not even be necessary today but may be one the
county looks to in the future."

Kurt Kunkel of the Colorado Environmental Coalition removes debris from the middle of what is
considered by the Moffat County commissioners to be an existing road. The county is claiming old
roads across remote areas to block federal wilderness designations.

Designations derail some uses Since the 1990s conservation groups have tried to get Congress to
designate 320,000 of the county's 1.8 million acres public land - most of it owned by the BLM - as
wilderness. Many acres have already been found to possess the emptiness and lack of human
development that qualify them as Wilderness Study Areas, places like the Diamond Breaks, Cross
Mountain and parts of Dinosaur National Monument.

With a wilderness designation, grazing would continue, and ranchers could still use pickups to fix
fences and watering holes in some cases. But energy development, road building and use of
recreational motor vehicles would be off-limits.

County officials say they don't intend to immediately improve the 2,000 miles of old routes they
believe Congress granted them. But RS 2477 gives the public the right to drive across them,
officials say. That - and the possibility they may be upgraded in the future - disqualifies the
lands from wilderness consideration.

But drilling here would come at a price. New roads and drill pads would be bulldozed through the
desert stands of juniper and pinon pine; pipelines would break up unspoiled vistas and likely
displace herds of game that draw hunters from across the country.

During the Clinton administration, environmentalists appeared to have the upper hand. Under Interior
Secretary Bruce Babbitt, the BLM focused on protecting the wild qualities of the landscape until
conservation groups could develop enough support in Congress to protect them forever.

In 1997, the BLM conducted a preliminary study of Vermillion Basin that found 77,000 acres were
roadless and had wilderness character. "Just because someone asserts there's a route out there
doesn't mean it meets the definition of a maintained road" that would disqualify the area as
wilderness, said John Husband, director of the BLM's Little Snake field office, which did the study.

But momentum shifted quickly once the Bush administration took office. In July 2001, Moffat County
officials asked Interior Secretary Gale Norton, a former Colorado attorney general, to block a
formal study that would confirm Vermillion's wilderness character. Norton did.

The Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and the war on Iraq prompted President Bush to push for full utilization
of domestic energy sources like those believed to lie under Vermillion.

Last spring, the administration announced a series of steps that environmentalists say represent a
coordinated effort between the administration and Western Republicans to speed development of BLM
lands and stop future wilderness claims.

"Vermillion Basin and lands of northwest Moffat County are among the most magnificent and important
unprotected BLM landscapes in the West," Babbitt said recently. "It's a shame to see the
administration adopt policies that will cause it to be degraded and devalued."

Kunkel walks past a centuries-old ‘medicine wheel' outlined by stones in the Vermillion Basin of
northwest Colorado, the site of many of Moffat County's road claims.

Few traces of some paths In early April, Norton overturned a BLM policy to automatically exclude
energy exploration on wilderness-quality lands to protect areas for future designations.

She also announced two agreements with Utah and Alaska to settle road claims made under RS 2477.
Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt said his deal with Interior included only "indisputable" roads built before
1976, when Congress overturned the mining law.

The Utah pact also excluded claims in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and other
preserved areas.

But conservation groups fear that the deal, negotiated as part of a court settlement, will open the
door for local governments and private groups to claim marginal paths as public highways. ... (cont)

"Doug Bashford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "IRKurt" wrote
>
> I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. I assume that one is allowed to ride on NF and BLM unless
> otherwise posted or restricted. Some forests may have total bans for local reasons. Not so?

Doug, the current paradigm is "Closed unless posted open", and only on designated trails.

>
> Of course, in Parks ya need a permit to ****. I avoid them even tho Yosemite is 1 1/2 hr away.

No ORVs allowed in National Parks, to my knowledge.

PP

>
> In <[email protected]> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:40, "Matt"
> >- "Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> >- We have done a lot more than just whine "we need -some- place to ride".
> >- It's more like we say "how about here?" Answer: NO. "Well, then how
> >- about over here" Answer: NO. "Well, what about..." NO, NO, NO!! See
> >- how that works?
>
> What I noticed is that my comments about gaining power, including via mitigation were deleted
> without comment by you. I ask why you should have power and you reply you clean up your trails and
> vote. You may be missing something.

Perhaps so. I'm always open to suggestions, what do you have in mind?

--
Matt 02 RM-250 (me) 02 TTR-125L (wife) 03 KTM 65SX (son)

>
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:01, "Matt" wrote
> >- "Doug Bashford" wrote in message
> >- news:[email protected]...
> >- > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:15, "Matt" wrote
> >- > >- "scrape at mindspring dot com" wrote
> >- > >- > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:39(Doug Bashford) wrote:
>
> >- > ...........snip
> >- > >- > >The problem here, and it's a huge one, is
> >- > >- > >that one guy is saying "you enviros" want it
> >- > >- > >all, and another says just as silly, "you ORVes"
> >- > >- > >want it all. That's BS.
>
>
> >- > Instead, I'll just try to put some context on that "fact"
> >- > -- one you may not have noticed. -
> >- [ snip a bunch of stuff that apparently came from
> >- Rick Siemen's writings ]
>
> Mean, nasty, malcious, true terrorist stuff. Not just ***** sabotage stuff. If you try to snip
> that away, you have yer head in the sand and we are not going to do much communicating. .

I already told you, I don't condone such actions, nor do any of the dirt bikers I know. I also
pointed out how insignificant a part of the equation that stuff is. What more do you want?

> >- You highly overestimate Rick Siemen's influence
> >- and it's completely inaccurate and disingenuous
> >- (or maybe you really believe it) to imply that his
> >- attitudes and approach reflect those of the general
> >- OHV community. I'm around a lot of dirt bikers and
> >- NO ONE I know talks or thinks like that. I've also
> >- been to my share of public meetings and never
> >- experienced that kind of behavior, from either side.
>
> I am not suggesting that bikers are aping him. I am saying that everywhere I look, in these two
> threads for example, there is a hyper- anti-environmental feeling. And yes, I AM saying that Rick,
> DIRT BIKE, and off-road.com with Sahara Club and Wise Use roots/values is a big contributing part
> of that.

And *I* am saying you're wrong. Uncompromising, hard-core, "motorized recreation is pure evil"
enviros taking away every scrap of land we have to ride on is the primary cause of that feeling.
Period. Forget what they preach at SC meetings, go out to a riding area, talk to some riders
(without revealing your agenda). See how many have heard of Rick Siemen and the Sahara Club, then
find out how many are ****** about having riding areas closed. If you want the truth about us you
won't get it any other way. Otherwise, you're the one doing all the "mind-filtering".

> >- I'm also mystified with you apparent belief that the
> >- mainstream dirt bike media reflects those kind of
> >- attitudes. I subscribe to Dirt Rider, Motocross Action
> >- and Racer X, and frequently glance thru several others.
> >- My biggest complaint is that most of them pretty much
> >- ignore access issues. When they do occasionally
> >- say something, it most definitely does not contain
> >- the kind of extremist rhetoric you descibe.
>
> No, I didn't think they did. Otherwise, I'd know about it. You are missing what I'm trying to say.
> It may not be extemist, but I suggest it is there, and probably more than you notice.

WHAT may be there? Anger about having all of our riding areas taken away? Impassioned pleas to
riders to vote, attend meetings and contact representatives to help save them? That's what I see
(although not nearly enough), and I see it as a good thing.

>
> >- Nor does
> >- the stuff I read which does focus on access issues
> >- (eg. The Blue Ribbon Coalition magazine, and occasionally,
> >- AMA stuff [when they're not too busy preserving the Harley
> >- posers' all-important right to ride helmetless]) describe
> >- or in any way advocate those kind of tactics.
>
> Of course not. Those would be full blown terrorism, and possibly get the FBI involved. How could
> it be? -- in anything but a whacko finge kook's mag? It would cut revenue.
>
> >- As someone else here pointed out Rick has a long history
> >- with extreme environmentalists and given his apparent
> >- experiences with them, his bitterness and anger is
> >- understandable, but he doesn't speak for me, nor to I
> >- consider the kind of tactics described in those quotes as
> >- acceptable or productive in any way.
>
> I'm not accusing anybody of those tactics. That you think I might be, suggests how how high your
> tolerence to that "eco-freak" attitude must be. And I'm saying your media is a part immunizing you
> to that dispicable attitude.

<sigh> I thought we already covered this, WHAT media? 99.999999% of us don't read the Sahara Club
newsletter or anything like it, and the kind of extremist rhetoric you're focusing on so hard ISN'T
IN THE MAINSTREAM DIRT BIKE media.

> >- > >- mainstream Sierra Club has to say on the subject makes it
> >- > >- very clear they will be satisfied with nothing less than a total
> >- > >- ban,
> >- >
> >- > If that were true, then gee, I wonder why?
> >- > What do you expect? Mr. Spock from Star Trek
> >- > to go to those negotiations? I am quite aware that
> >- > it is not rational to portray all ORVers as
> >- > Sahara Clubbers, but what exactly about terrorism is
> >- > rational? Zero?
> >- >
> >- > I'm sure it's great fun squealing about and
> >- > threatening and hating evil eco-freaks, but
> >- > is it possible that this attitude might be counter
> >- > productive where it matters most? -
> >- This kind of behavior can be found on both sides,
> >- well, the squeeling and hating anyway, as evidenced
> >- in these very discussions, and yes, I agree it is
> >- counterproductive. -
> >- > >- and many of them would love to eliminate mountain bikes
> >- > >- as well. Barbara Boxer's Wilderness Bill would lock us
> >- > >- out of huge amounts of public land and she has total
> >- > >- support from every enviro group you could name (except
> >- > >- those who don't think her bill goes far enough!).
> >- >
> >- > You are quite wrong pal. Cause you are talking
> >- > to one. The Commetee to Save the Kings River.
> >- > They wanted to put Wilderness here in Fresno Co
> >- > too, they had maps and everything. We took a vote,
> >- > it was unanomous. No. They smiled and went away.
> >- > That's why there's no Wilderness in Fresno Co on
> >- > Boxer's bill. But there is something about saving
> >- > the Kings River. -
> >- I've never heard or that group and don't know the
> >- specifics of the case but I don't see how it disproves
> >- my point. Perhaps they felt you had already achieved
> >- the kind of exclusion they're trying to impose everywhere
> >- else?
>
> Well, I just gave you the specifics. The vote was with about 15 local enviro activists, most of us
> with about 15 years experience in the trenches, a true association of other groups. All unpaid.
> And it UTTERLY disproves your point. And that you don't believe me, is a sad sad indicator of just
> how well your culture has you trained. You prolly TOTALLY mind-filered it out of existance because
> it does not match your prejudice.

My point was that Boxer's Wilderness bill is another example of uncompromising, hard-core,
"motorized recreation is pure evil" enviros taking away every scrap of land we have to ride on and
that it has *vast* support from the enviro movement. You haven't disproven that (you couldn't
possibly). Throw all the psycho-babble at it you want, it doesn't change the numbers (amount of land
closures and attempts at further closures), my personal experience or that of all the other riders I
know. If there -is- a growing trend on the enviro side against the unecessarily restrictive and
exclusionary -W-ilderness designation, great! But I don't see it.

> Perhaps if you guys were'nt so busy giving everybody the finger, you might notice things
> like this?
>
> >- > >- Environmentalists have gained a majority number of the
> >- > >- seats on the state OHV commission and are using
> >- > >- every opportunity to close riding areas and deny funding
> >- > >- (OUR Green sticker money) to those areas they can't
> >- > >- close. I could go on.
> >- >
> >- > And I'm sure sometimes you do. So what we have
> >- > here is kind of a Catch-22 isn't it. Kinda circular.
> >- > You call them eco-freaks, and then they are not
> >- > likely to be too helpful, are they? -
> >- And if we'd just been nice to them and hadn't called
> >- them mean names, everything would be different?
> >- Please. Which do you suppose came first, the
> >- closures or the angry responses?
>
> Sorry, let rephrase for precision, I'll drop the politeness.
>
> Your guys terrorize them, and then they are not likely to be too helpful, are they?

again with the unfounded accusations. I have never, nor do I know anyone (dirt biker or otherwise)
who I know to have terrorized anyone. That's the last time I will bother saying that. Can't you have
a debate without all that handwaving nonsense?

> And believe me, Rick is a good terrorist. It worked. Go ahead and mind-filter away, pretend I'm
> making this up, ignore it, this one-way **** is getting boring, I'm about outa here.
>
> >-
> >- > Ya know, I've worked shoulder to shoulder with
> >- > hunting clubs, fisherman clubs, 4WD clubs,
> >- > Forest & BLM rangers and biologists cleaning up
> >- > meadows and doing forest restoration work.
> >- > Never a motorcycle club. -
> >- I do my share of trail work, both as a dirt biker
> >- and a mountain biker. Others here do to.
>
> Again I used the wrong terminology, as if we were cleaning up dirty meadows. No, it was habitat
> improvement, dropping trees, planting tress, stuff like that. Trying to delay glacial meadows from
> turning into forests, to be more specific.
>
> So when you tell me you clean up your own mess, well that's nice.
>
> >- I can't
> >- speak to your experiences (or lack thereof) with
> >- specific groups, but it sounds anecdotal at best.
>
> Yes. "at best?" I don't like being called a liar.

I didn't call you one.

> >- > >- ORVers don't want (or expect) 100% access or anything
> >- > >- even close, we just want more than the meager amount we
> >- > >- have now (or at the very least, not to LOSE any more). And the
> >- > >- losses over the last several years have been staggering.
> >- >
> >- > And what have you done to earn it? Or anybody's
> >- > respect? Threaten to spit on them, ruin their
> >- > carrer, marraige, bank account, break a few fingers?
> >- > Call them eco-freaks etc? -
> >- As I said before, I do trail work, I take care of the areas
> >- I ride in, I vote, I go to public meetings and I write letters and
> >- make phone calls in an attempt to influence legislation.
> >- And I have never threatened, spit on, etc etc anybody. -
> >- Tell me this, have you personally been the victim of (or even
> >- witnessed) any of the above kinds of violence you describe,
> >- or did you just read some extremist literature and decide that
> >- that's how all motorized recreationists think and behave?

Why didn't you answer this? You've beat this issue to death, can't you give some examples from your
personal experience that supports it? Or did you hear about it at a Sierra Club meeting and that's
good enough...

> If you had read both threads, you would know I was practically raised on a dirkbike. So I'm
> not totally isolated from the culture. But most of miles are on street bikes, about 40,000
> before I joined the service at 21. I'm one of those guys who has long forgetten how many time
> he broke bones.
>
> >- > >- Hikers have access to pretty much 100% of all public land
> >- > >- in California, they have *exclusive* access to the vast majority.
> >- > >- I can't locate a recent figure but I seem to recall that OHVs are
> >- > >- permitted on something like 4.7% of public land in this state
> >- > >- (or maybe it's 0.47%) and enviro groups have been (sucessfully)
> >- > >- chipping away at that number every year, using every conceivable
> >- > >- excuse. One site I found that is attempting to catalog and
quantify
> >- > >- the losses can be found at:
> >- > >- http://www.crowley-offroad.com/closed_areas_california_ohv.htm
> >- >
> >- > What you say is reasonable. But your
> >- > sport is very high impact. That's what makes
> >- > the difference.
> >- >
> >- > One problem you need to accept is that a bike
> >- > tearing up a 60 degree grassy hill is like
> >- > a bus of people in the woods tossing litter
> >- > out all the windows nonstop. You both leave
> >- > ugly unatural tracks which last for years,
> >- > sometimes much longer. True or false?
> >- >
> >- > But the difference between 100 buses doing
> >- > that, and 100 bikes is, the bus litter just get
> >- > uglier, the bikes start doing damage.
> >- >
> >- > ...so ya gatta limit where that can be done.
> >- >
> >- >
> >- > >- > Unfortunately, in the name of "compromise", I've seen lots of
land
> >- > >- > made unavailable to the OHV community and none ever made
available.
> >- > >- > For the most part, the OHV community is willing to compromise
and the
> >- > >- > Sierra Club side is not.
> >- > >-
> >- > >- THIS is the reality unfortunately.
> >- > >- There is NO parity between the two
> >- > >- sides on this issue.
> >- >
> >- > Well there should be fairness. But can you see
> >- > how opening up large tracks of quasi-pristine areas
> >- > to dirt bikes might ruin it for everyone else?
> >- > Including the cattle grazers?
> >- > Turn grass or duff covered hills to bare mineral
> >- > soil and growing erosion ruts? We've all seen
> >- > these, I've seen some five feet deep.
> >- > ...And that by definition, it would kill it's
> >- > quasi-pristine nature? - -
> >- I discussed sustainabilty of riding areas elsewhere
> >- in this thread so I won't repeat it all here, but in brief,
> >- the kind of irreparable damage you describe only
> >- occurs in certain highly sensitive areas (which I
> >- agree should be protected)
>
> Well, that might be called highly sensitive in your neck of the woods, but in mine, it's called
> hills mellow enough to get a dirtbike on. I guess you must be talking about desert, if you think
> grassy or duff covered hills are special.
>
> If so, then you prolly don't know what one season of real rain can do to one bike's denuded track
> going straight up a steep hill.
>
> >- or when an area is
> >- badly overridden, a result of too many people crammed
> >- into too small of an area. When sufficient land is
> >- available (and I don't mean a huge amount, something
> >- still in the single digit percentage range)
>
> If you are talking 9% you are outa yer friggin mind! Just what percentage of the people do you
> think are there primarily as riders!? Arond here, it's WAY less than 1%. Possibly that's due to
> local conditions.

Must be, recent figures in California indicate that just under 15% of the population owns some form
of OHV (dirt bike, quad, sand-rail, etc.). The source wasn't absolutely clear but I believe it
refered to dedicated off-road vehicles (if it was supposed to include street-registered 4WD SUV's
the number would be more like 60%).

> Here, off-road means jeep tails, and they beat the **** out 4WDers and bikers alike. A
> streight-away might get the daring up to 35MPH, and that would be mostly air time. Ya aughta try
> Dusey Rd sometime, at 8,000+ ft, Wilderness on both sides. It gets about 20 riders a day, and it
> takes most of a day. There's plenty more where that came from.
>
> >- trails can be
> >- rotated in and out of use to allow for recovery. I have
> >- seen this done in certain state riding areas very
> >- successfully. In areas where snow cover limits
> >- the riding season, this rotation isn't even necessary
> >- since the the trails are almost gone by spring thaw.
>
> You must be talking flatland. Or somehow, no erosion.
>
> >- Doug, get over your obsession with Rick Siemen
> >- and the "Sahara Club", the vast majority of dirt bikers
> >- have never even heard of them and don't share
> >- those views.
>
> Well, I'll tell what. Every Sirra Clubber has, possibly excepting the newbies. Sahara Club was a
> well known terrorist organization.

Do you expect anyone to be surprised that the Sierra Club would focus so hard on that and make sure
their members know about it? Might they even, <gasp> exaggerate the size and influence they're
supposed to have over us?

> And that's a huge part of my point.
>
> And dirtbiker's attitude sucks.

I feel much the same about enviros attitudes.

> Do with this info, as you want. Mind-filter it, I expect.
>
> I notice you deleted my suggestions about power. So be a victim. It's great phun.

I already told you, I vote, attend meetings, contact representatives, how else would you suggest
seeking this 'power'?

Matt:

This guy's just looking for any opportunity to post indignation about Rick Siemen. You've made great
points - but's just using them for an opening for his 1-act play.

I suggest that everyone purchase a copy of Rick Siemen's MONKEY BUTT - available at many stores and
online for about $19.95 hardcover, and be amazed for themselves about what Rick has to say.

I can just about guarantee it will give more grins than anything every published by a
hand-wringing liberal.

Kurt

"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Doug Bashford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:01, "Matt" wrote
> > >- "Doug Bashford" wrote in message
> > >- news:[email protected]...
> > >- > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:15, "Matt" wrote
> > >- > >- "scrape at mindspring dot com" wrote
> > >- > >- > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:39(Doug Bashford) wrote:
> >
> > >- > ...........snip
> > >- > >- > >The problem here, and it's a huge one, is
> > >- > >- > >that one guy is saying "you enviros" want it
> > >- > >- > >all, and another says just as silly, "you ORVes"
> > >- > >- > >want it all. That's BS.
> >
> >
> > >- > Instead, I'll just try to put some context on that "fact"
> > >- > -- one you may not have noticed. -
> > >- [ snip a bunch of stuff that apparently came from
> > >- Rick Siemen's writings ]
> >
> > Mean, nasty, malcious, true terrorist stuff. Not just ***** sabotage stuff. If you try to snip
> > that away, you have yer head in the sand and we are not going to do much communicating. .
>
> I already told you, I don't condone such actions, nor do any of the dirt bikers I know. I also
> pointed out how insignificant a part of the equation that stuff is. What more do you want?
>
> > >- You highly overestimate Rick Siemen's influence
> > >- and it's completely inaccurate and disingenuous
> > >- (or maybe you really believe it) to imply that his
> > >- attitudes and approach reflect those of the general
> > >- OHV community. I'm around a lot of dirt bikers and
> > >- NO ONE I know talks or thinks like that. I've also
> > >- been to my share of public meetings and never
> > >- experienced that kind of behavior, from either side.
> >
> > I am not suggesting that bikers are aping him. I am saying that everywhere I look, in these two
> > threads for example, there is a hyper- anti-environmental feeling. And yes, I AM saying that
> > Rick, DIRT BIKE, and off-road.com with Sahara Club and Wise Use roots/values is a big
> > contributing part of that.
>
> And *I* am saying you're wrong. Uncompromising, hard-core, "motorized recreation is pure evil"
> enviros taking away every scrap of land we have to ride on is the primary cause of that feeling.
> Period. Forget what they preach at SC meetings, go out to a riding area, talk to some riders
> (without revealing your agenda). See how many have heard of Rick Siemen and the Sahara Club, then
> find out how many are ****** about having riding areas closed. If you want the truth about us you
> won't get it any other way. Otherwise, you're the one doing all the "mind-filtering".
>
> > >- I'm also mystified with you apparent belief that the
> > >- mainstream dirt bike media reflects those kind of
> > >- attitudes. I subscribe to Dirt Rider, Motocross Action
> > >- and Racer X, and frequently glance thru several others.
> > >- My biggest complaint is that most of them pretty much
> > >- ignore access issues. When they do occasionally
> > >- say something, it most definitely does not contain
> > >- the kind of extremist rhetoric you descibe.
> >
> > No, I didn't think they did. Otherwise, I'd know about it. You are missing what I'm trying to
> > say. It may not be extemist, but I suggest it is there, and probably more than you notice.
>
> WHAT may be there? Anger about having all of our riding areas taken away? Impassioned pleas to
> riders to vote, attend meetings and contact representatives to help save them? That's what I see
> (although not nearly enough), and I see it as a good thing.
>
> >
> > >- Nor does
> > >- the stuff I read which does focus on access issues
> > >- (eg. The Blue Ribbon Coalition magazine, and occasionally,
> > >- AMA stuff [when they're not too busy preserving the Harley
> > >- posers' all-important right to ride helmetless]) describe
> > >- or in any way advocate those kind of tactics.
> >
> > Of course not. Those would be full blown terrorism, and possibly get the FBI involved. How could
> > it be? -- in anything but a whacko finge kook's mag? It would cut revenue.
> >
> > >- As someone else here pointed out Rick has a long history
> > >- with extreme environmentalists and given his apparent
> > >- experiences with them, his bitterness and anger is
> > >- understandable, but he doesn't speak for me, nor to I
> > >- consider the kind of tactics described in those quotes as
> > >- acceptable or productive in any way.
> >
> > I'm not accusing anybody of those tactics. That you think I might be, suggests how how high your
> > tolerence to that "eco-freak" attitude must be. And I'm saying your media is a part immunizing
> > you to that dispicable attitude.
>
> <sigh> I thought we already covered this, WHAT media? 99.999999% of us don't read the Sahara Club
> newsletter or anything like it, and the kind of extremist rhetoric you're focusing on so hard
> ISN'T IN THE MAINSTREAM DIRT BIKE media.
>
> > >- > >- mainstream Sierra Club has to say on the subject makes it
> > >- > >- very clear they will be satisfied with nothing less than a total
> > >- > >- ban,
> > >- >
> > >- > If that were true, then gee, I wonder why?
> > >- > What do you expect? Mr. Spock from Star Trek
> > >- > to go to those negotiations? I am quite aware that
> > >- > it is not rational to portray all ORVers as
> > >- > Sahara Clubbers, but what exactly about terrorism is
> > >- > rational? Zero?
> > >- >
> > >- > I'm sure it's great fun squealing about and
> > >- > threatening and hating evil eco-freaks, but
> > >- > is it possible that this attitude might be counter
> > >- > productive where it matters most? -
> > >- This kind of behavior can be found on both sides,
> > >- well, the squeeling and hating anyway, as evidenced
> > >- in these very discussions, and yes, I agree it is
> > >- counterproductive. -
> > >- > >- and many of them would love to eliminate mountain bikes
> > >- > >- as well. Barbara Boxer's Wilderness Bill would lock us
> > >- > >- out of huge amounts of public land and she has total
> > >- > >- support from every enviro group you could name (except
> > >- > >- those who don't think her bill goes far enough!).
> > >- >
> > >- > You are quite wrong pal. Cause you are talking
> > >- > to one. The Commetee to Save the Kings River.
> > >- > They wanted to put Wilderness here in Fresno Co
> > >- > too, they had maps and everything. We took a vote,
> > >- > it was unanomous. No. They smiled and went away.
> > >- > That's why there's no Wilderness in Fresno Co on
> > >- > Boxer's bill. But there is something about saving
> > >- > the Kings River. -
> > >- I've never heard or that group and don't know the
> > >- specifics of the case but I don't see how it disproves
> > >- my point. Perhaps they felt you had already achieved
> > >- the kind of exclusion they're trying to impose everywhere
> > >- else?
> >
> > Well, I just gave you the specifics. The vote was with about 15 local enviro activists, most of
> > us with about 15 years experience in the trenches, a true association of other groups. All
> > unpaid. And it UTTERLY disproves your point. And that you don't believe me, is a sad sad
> > indicator of just how well your culture has you trained. You prolly TOTALLY mind-filered it out
> > of existance because it does not match your prejudice.
>
> My point was that Boxer's Wilderness bill is another example of uncompromising, hard-core,
> "motorized recreation is pure evil" enviros taking away every scrap of land we have to ride on and
> that it has *vast* support from the enviro movement. You haven't disproven that (you couldn't
> possibly). Throw all the psycho-babble at it you want, it doesn't change the numbers (amount of
> land closures and attempts at further closures), my personal experience or that of all the other
> riders I know. If there -is- a growing trend on the enviro side against the unecessarily
> restrictive and exclusionary -W-ilderness designation, great! But I don't see it.
>
> > Perhaps if you guys were'nt so busy giving everybody the finger, you might notice things
> > like this?
> >
> > >- > >- Environmentalists have gained a majority number of the
> > >- > >- seats on the state OHV commission and are using
> > >- > >- every opportunity to close riding areas and deny funding
> > >- > >- (OUR Green sticker money) to those areas they can't
> > >- > >- close. I could go on.
> > >- >
> > >- > And I'm sure sometimes you do. So what we have
> > >- > here is kind of a Catch-22 isn't it. Kinda circular.
> > >- > You call them eco-freaks, and then they are not
> > >- > likely to be too helpful, are they? -
> > >- And if we'd just been nice to them and hadn't called
> > >- them mean names, everything would be different?
> > >- Please. Which do you suppose came first, the
> > >- closures or the angry responses?
> >
> > Sorry, let rephrase for precision, I'll drop the politeness.
> >
> > Your guys terrorize them, and then they are not likely to be too helpful, are they?
>
> again with the unfounded accusations. I have never, nor do I know anyone (dirt biker or otherwise)
> who I know to have terrorized anyone. That's the last time I will bother saying that. Can't you
> have a debate without all that handwaving nonsense?
>
> > And believe me, Rick is a good terrorist. It worked. Go ahead and mind-filter away, pretend I'm
> > making this up, ignore it, this one-way **** is getting boring, I'm about outa here.
> >
> > >-
> > >- > Ya know, I've worked shoulder to shoulder with
> > >- > hunting clubs, fisherman clubs, 4WD clubs,
> > >- > Forest & BLM rangers and biologists cleaning up
> > >- > meadows and doing forest restoration work.
> > >- > Never a motorcycle club. -
> > >- I do my share of trail work, both as a dirt biker
> > >- and a mountain biker. Others here do to.
> >
> > Again I used the wrong terminology, as if we were cleaning up dirty meadows. No, it was habitat
> > improvement, dropping trees, planting tress, stuff like that. Trying to delay glacial meadows
> > from turning into forests, to be more specific.
> >
> > So when you tell me you clean up your own mess, well that's nice.
> >
> > >- I can't
> > >- speak to your experiences (or lack thereof) with
> > >- specific groups, but it sounds anecdotal at best.
> >
> > Yes. "at best?" I don't like being called a liar.
>
> I didn't call you one.
>
> > >- > >- ORVers don't want (or expect) 100% access or anything
> > >- > >- even close, we just want more than the meager amount we
> > >- > >- have now (or at the very least, not to LOSE any more). And the
> > >- > >- losses over the last several years have been staggering.
> > >- >
> > >- > And what have you done to earn it? Or anybody's
> > >- > respect? Threaten to spit on them, ruin their
> > >- > carrer, marraige, bank account, break a few fingers?
> > >- > Call them eco-freaks etc? -
> > >- As I said before, I do trail work, I take care of the areas
> > >- I ride in, I vote, I go to public meetings and I write letters and
> > >- make phone calls in an attempt to influence legislation.
> > >- And I have never threatened, spit on, etc etc anybody. -
> > >- Tell me this, have you personally been the victim of (or even
> > >- witnessed) any of the above kinds of violence you describe,
> > >- or did you just read some extremist literature and decide that
> > >- that's how all motorized recreationists think and behave?
>
> Why didn't you answer this? You've beat this issue to death, can't you give some examples from
> your personal experience that supports it? Or did you hear about it at a Sierra Club meeting and
> that's good enough...
>
> > If you had read both threads, you would know I was practically raised on a dirkbike. So I'm not
> > totally isolated from the culture. But most of miles are on street bikes, about 40,000 before I
> > joined the service at 21. I'm one of those guys who has long forgetten how many time he broke
> > bones.
> >
> > >- > >- Hikers have access to pretty much 100% of all public land
> > >- > >- in California, they have *exclusive* access to the vast
majority.
> > >- > >- I can't locate a recent figure but I seem to recall that OHVs
are
> > >- > >- permitted on something like 4.7% of public land in this state
> > >- > >- (or maybe it's 0.47%) and enviro groups have been (sucessfully)
> > >- > >- chipping away at that number every year, using every
conceivable
> > >- > >- excuse. One site I found that is attempting to catalog and
> quantify
> > >- > >- the losses can be found at:
> > >- > >- http://www.crowley-offroad.com/closed_areas_california_ohv.htm
> > >- >
> > >- > What you say is reasonable. But your
> > >- > sport is very high impact. That's what makes
> > >- > the difference.
> > >- >
> > >- > One problem you need to accept is that a bike
> > >- > tearing up a 60 degree grassy hill is like
> > >- > a bus of people in the woods tossing litter
> > >- > out all the windows nonstop. You both leave
> > >- > ugly unatural tracks which last for years,
> > >- > sometimes much longer. True or false?
> > >- >
> > >- > But the difference between 100 buses doing
> > >- > that, and 100 bikes is, the bus litter just get
> > >- > uglier, the bikes start doing damage.
> > >- >
> > >- > ...so ya gatta limit where that can be done.
> > >- >
> > >- >
> > >- > >- > Unfortunately, in the name of "compromise", I've seen lots of
> land
> > >- > >- > made unavailable to the OHV community and none ever made
> available.
> > >- > >- > For the most part, the OHV community is willing to compromise
> and the
> > >- > >- > Sierra Club side is not.
> > >- > >-
> > >- > >- THIS is the reality unfortunately.
> > >- > >- There is NO parity between the two
> > >- > >- sides on this issue.
> > >- >
> > >- > Well there should be fairness. But can you see
> > >- > how opening up large tracks of quasi-pristine areas
> > >- > to dirt bikes might ruin it for everyone else?
> > >- > Including the cattle grazers?
> > >- > Turn grass or duff covered hills to bare mineral
> > >- > soil and growing erosion ruts? We've all seen
> > >- > these, I've seen some five feet deep.
> > >- > ...And that by definition, it would kill it's
> > >- > quasi-pristine nature? - -
> > >- I discussed sustainabilty of riding areas elsewhere
> > >- in this thread so I won't repeat it all here, but in brief,
> > >- the kind of irreparable damage you describe only
> > >- occurs in certain highly sensitive areas (which I
> > >- agree should be protected)
> >
> > Well, that might be called highly sensitive in your neck of the woods, but in mine, it's called
> > hills mellow enough to get a dirtbike on. I guess you must be talking about desert, if you think
> > grassy or duff covered hills are special.
> >
> > If so, then you prolly don't know what one season of real rain can do to one bike's denuded
> > track going straight up a steep hill.
> >
> > >- or when an area is
> > >- badly overridden, a result of too many people crammed
> > >- into too small of an area. When sufficient land is
> > >- available (and I don't mean a huge amount, something
> > >- still in the single digit percentage range)
> >
> > If you are talking 9% you are outa yer friggin mind! Just what percentage of the people do you
> > think are there primarily as riders!? Arond here, it's WAY less than 1%. Possibly that's due to
> > local conditions.
>
> Must be, recent figures in California indicate that just under 15% of the population owns some
> form of OHV (dirt bike, quad, sand-rail, etc.). The source wasn't absolutely clear but I believe
> it refered to dedicated off-road vehicles (if it was supposed to include street-registered 4WD
> SUV's the number would be more like 60%).
>
> > Here, off-road means jeep tails, and they beat the **** out 4WDers and bikers alike. A
> > streight-away might get the daring up to 35MPH, and that would be mostly air time. Ya aughta try
> > Dusey Rd sometime, at 8,000+ ft, Wilderness on both sides. It gets about 20 riders a day, and it
> > takes most of a day. There's plenty more where that came from.
> >
> > >- trails can be
> > >- rotated in and out of use to allow for recovery. I have
> > >- seen this done in certain state riding areas very
> > >- successfully. In areas where snow cover limits
> > >- the riding season, this rotation isn't even necessary
> > >- since the the trails are almost gone by spring thaw.
> >
> > You must be talking flatland. Or somehow, no erosion.
> >
> > >- Doug, get over your obsession with Rick Siemen
> > >- and the "Sahara Club", the vast majority of dirt bikers
> > >- have never even heard of them and don't share
> > >- those views.
> >
> > Well, I'll tell what. Every Sirra Clubber has, possibly excepting the newbies. Sahara Club was a
> > well known terrorist organization.
>
> Do you expect anyone to be surprised that the Sierra Club would focus so hard on that and make
> sure their members know about it? Might they even, <gasp> exaggerate the size and influence
> they're supposed to have over us?
>
> > And that's a huge part of my point.
> >
> > And dirtbiker's attitude sucks.
>
> I feel much the same about enviros attitudes.
>
> > Do with this info, as you want. Mind-filter it, I expect.
> >
> > I notice you deleted my suggestions about power. So be a victim. It's great phun.
>
> I already told you, I vote, attend meetings, contact representatives, how else would you suggest
> seeking this 'power'?

"IRKurt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Matt:
>
> This guy's just looking for any opportunity to post indignation about Rick Siemen. You've made
> great points - but's just using them for an opening
for
> his 1-act play.

I'm beginning to see that.

--

"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Doug Bashford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > In <[email protected]> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:40, "Matt"
> > >- "Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > >- We have done a lot more than just whine "we need -some- place to
ride".
> > >- It's more like we say "how about here?" Answer: NO. "Well, then how
> > >- about over here" Answer: NO. "Well, what about..." NO, NO, NO!!
See
> > >- how that works?
> >
> > What I noticed is that my comments about gaining power, including via mitigation were deleted
> > without comment by you. I ask why you should have power and you reply you clean up your trails
> > and vote. You may be missing something.
>
>
> Perhaps so. I'm always open to suggestions, what do you have in mind?

I'd still be interested in those suggestions, Doug, but it occurred to me that perhaps I need to
point out that those 'votes' that you're so dismissive about are what really counts. The way
it's worked here in California is the enviros meet with Boxer and say "hey we really want to put
a big fat padlock on all this public land, how bout we help you write this bill that you push
thru and we'll make sure you get a shitload of votes out of it." Somewhat oversimplified, but
that's how it works.

If there's something more powerful than that, I'd love to know what it is, cause you guys seem to be
better at it than we are, at least here in California.

--

Matt wrote:
> "Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>"Doug Bashford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> In <[email protected]> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:40, "Matt"
>>>
>>>>- "Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>
>>>>- We have done a lot more than just whine "we need -some- place to
>
> ride".
>
>>>>- It's more like we say "how about here?" Answer: NO. "Well, then how
>>>>- about over here" Answer: NO. "Well, what about..." NO, NO, NO!!
>
> See
>
>>>>- how that works?
>>>
>>>What I noticed is that my comments about gaining power, including via mitigation were deleted
>>>without comment by you. I ask why you should have power and you reply you clean up your trails
>>>and vote. You may be missing something.
>>
>>
>>Perhaps so. I'm always open to suggestions, what do you have in mind?
>
>
>
> I'd still be interested in those suggestions, Doug, but it occurred to me that perhaps I need to
> point out that those 'votes' that you're so dismissive about are what really counts. The way it's
> worked here in California is the enviros meet with Boxer and say "hey we really want to put a big
> fat padlock on all this public land, how bout we help you write this bill that you push thru and
> we'll make sure you get a shitload of votes out of it." Somewhat oversimplified, but that's how
> it works.

Not oversimplified at all. With Boxer - it's all about votes, and she needs help writing a bill,
because she is dumb as a boxer of rocks. The Dems are all about votes - "what can we do to get the
votes from this group". They care about nothing but their own power.

Michael
>
> If there's something more powerful than that, I'd love to know what it is, cause you guys seem to
> be better at it than we are, at least here in California.
>

--
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you
think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein

Status
Not open for further replies.