The Bush to call cow tracks & Jeep trails: Highways ??

"Michael Rothwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
<snip>
> > Shaun aRe - 1+1 = 2. 2+1 = 3, etsuckingfetera, dimwit.
> >

> We're all still waiting for your examples. But I guess that they would be hard to produce.

Not really. A clear example is hard to find due to the number of 'experiements' with additonal
factors but I think Easter Island would fit the bill well enough.

I am wounded.

Make me feel better...Buy a pair of Forest Slippers.

Would you like them served on a protest of anti-war? would you like them better with Al Gore?

Perhaps in Greenpiece Boat? Perhaps you will share a pair with a goat?

Yes, we have have them in green that glows -- with little toe-pads so the hooves will not bruise the
tops of your toes.

Kurt

"Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "IRKurt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... <snip>
> >

> > Kurt Still-Hiking
>
> You should change your name. I think IRStupid would be more appropriate. Maybe IRReallyStupid but
> that might be a bit too long.

Why thank you for asking!

Are you talking about those Fauna-Sensitive Soled Forest Slippers available exclusively
from MW Inc.?

Are you talking about the Forest Slippers, soon to be mandatory equipment for Forest Incursions?

Are you talking about the Forest Slippers available in 17 Earth-Tone, micro-refraction sensitive
colors in metric size only?

Well, you will just have to stay tuned. Big Guy has an announcement forthcoming about the new
Annointed Line of Forest Slippers. Word is that wearing them is like receiving a kiss on the feet.
These are so specialized that they will only fit the left.

Kurt

"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> got it, thanks for clarifying. now, where do I get a pair of those slippers?
>
> --
> Matt 02 RM-250 (me) 02 TTR-125L (wife) 03 KTM 65SX (son)
>
> "IRKurt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > The most consciencious, and politically strident caretakers should by default, declare ownership
> > and become annointed gatekeepers to mother's forests.
> >
> > That is how we within the Still-Hiking community feel anyway, and why we
> are
> > justified in telling you AND the mobile-hiking mobs - with a megaphone

> > Kurt Still-Hiking
> >
> > "Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> miners
> > > fit
> > recreationalist?

> > > Don't you mean OUR land? On second though, no, you probably didn't, did you?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Matt 02 RM-250 (me) 02 TTR-125L (wife) 03 KTM 65SX (son)

"MX Tuner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 23 Jul 2003 16:35:45 GMT, [email protected] (Lloyd Parker) spewed forth:
>
> >>Do you really believe than humans can destroy the earth?
>
> >Yes. Look up "ozone layer and CFCs."
>
> Okay, *now* do a little more research and see what the biggest contributors are to the destruction
> of the ozone layer.

Clorine from CFCs and other halogens.

> Yup, they were bellowing smoke millions of years before man ever walked the earth.

The referecne is both obscure and wrong.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ozone-depletion/

Your ignorance aside, Ozone would probably not have 'destroyed the earth' but it would have done
significant damage to the biosphere. We do such in many separate ways that have a combined effect
greater than the individual one.

"WoodsRider978" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > "IRKurt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
>
> > > I am wounded.
>
> > "Ian St. John" <[email protected] wrote in message
> > news:ziDTa.254>[email protected]...
>
> > Nah. You are stupid and not worth spending time on if you are just going
> > make such mindless red herrings.
>
> From all I've read this is truly a case of the pot calling the kettle black...

Well Hi there Mr Pot.

scrape at mindspring dot com wrote
>- On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:13:44 -0500, "Brian McGarry"
>-
>- >I'm not interested in having some pretty surroundings or protecting a bunch
>- >of animals that long ago, out lived their usefulness.
>-
>- Correct. Are you better off or worse off since the dinosaurs died
>- out?
>-
>- Personally, I can't think of a single reason I'd be better off if they
>- were still here. Getting to work would really suck.

You guys are such pussies!

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all. -- Helen Keller

--Doug
--
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the
president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:08, "Brian McGarry" wrote
>- "Ian St. John" wrote

>- > > Do you really believe than humans can destroy the earth?
>- >
>- > Nope. I only believe that they can damage the biosphere. Of course, I have
>- a
>- > hard time justifying the extent of the damage to the biosphere.
>-
>- Yeah Dewd, Kewl.... that Pauly Shore really reeked some damage to the
>- "Biosphere in that movie.
>- >
>- >
>- > I am not 'useful' to you so I am not worthy of living?
>- > Do you have these delusions of being
>- > 'master of the world' often or just when the drugs kick
>- > in?
>-
>- All human life is sacred and should be protected!
>- From the unborn to the mass murderer.
>- I'm Pro-life and against capital punishment.

That's a good way to stop a rational debate. I don't think anyone is going to attack your religion.
So I guess it never was a rational or moral debate, it was a matter of spewing ummm religious
beliefs. Just guessing, Earth as Man's toy and toilet, indestructable Gift from God?

"To all the beasts - I give every green plant for food." --Gen 1:30

"Ian St. John" wrote about: ....snip
>- > > Shaun aRe - 1+1 = 2. 2+1 = 3, etsuckingfetera, dimwit.
>- > >
>- >
>- > We're all still waiting for your examples. But I guess that they would
>- > be hard to produce.
>-
>- Not really. A clear example is hard to find due to the number of
>- 'experiements' with additonal factors but I think Easter Island would fit
>- the bill well enough.

Actually, the landscape is littered with ghost towns and failed civilizations. Nearly all were cause
by silly chicken little lefie worries: ecosystem collapse, resource exhaustion, or war. The first
two are "enviro."

< whistling past the graveyard> Of course modern man < whistling> is too smart for that now,<
whistling> right? Sure. < whistling> It can't happen here. (Westland Water District is "retiring"
thousands of acres of nearby crop land due to desertification, the soil has turned alkalie.
Navajo anyone? )

The remaining were caused by natural disasters, which are unpreventable, so why worry, and we
don't. --Doug

The Real Bev wrote
>- Sierra Club quandary: Should they support global warming because it will
>- stave off the environmental destruction to be caused by
>- glaciers during
>- the next ice age? Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Ecosystems are well adapted to ice ages. They happen every blink of the eye in evolutionary time.
Ecosystems are not destroyed by ice ages, they are just moved around. Ice ages move slower than
plants and animal speciess can mirgate.

Of course, cities and farms can move as easily, should say, an unnatural and rapid climate event
occur, but it could be costly.

Ya, I know you were just joshing. But ya made me think. --Doug

In <[email protected]> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:29:57 -0400, scrape at
mindspring dot com <[email protected]> wrote about: Re: The Bush to call cow tracks & Jeep
trails: Highways ??

>- On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:21:46 -0400, "Ian St. John"
>- <[email protected]> wrote:
>-
>- >> >One can turn this around and point to the fact that while one RVer may
>- >not
>- >> >do much damage there are a growing number of them and there is not one
>- >inch
>- >> >of wilderness that is not under attack by four wheel drive goons.

>- >> Not "one inch"? Damn. It must be much worse than I thought.

But I think you see Ian St. John's point. The problem here, and it's a huge one, is that one guy
is saying "you enviros" want it all, and another says just as silly, "you ORVes" want it all.
That's BS.

Fact is, some enviros want it all, yes. Fact is, some ORVers want it all, yes. And they are whackos.
Tiny insignificant minority whackos.

To play the game that the above remotely resembles political reality or doability is lose-lose
farce...a silly little schoolyard blame game which prevents meaningful dialogue.

>-
>- >> >There is little queston that OHVs do damage terrain so the question is
>- >one
>- >> >of granting areas for Wilderness and other areas of 'Off Road Trails'.
>- >You
>- >> >cannot allocate all of the land to either.
>- >>
>- >> How much damage do hiking boots do to the terrain? It's all a matter
>- >> of degree, isn't it? If you'll tolerate hiking in the "wilderness",
>- >> your argument is hypocritical at best.
>- >
>- >I'll tolerate limited hiking is the 'protected areas', moderate hiking in
>- >'wilderness areas' and as much walking as you can stand in the cities and
>- >countryside. It *is* a matter of degree and multiple levels of protection.
>- >The point of the thread is that the public wants more Wilderness areas
>- >preserved. Take a hint.
>-
>- So the "damage" that's acceptable to you is coincidentally the amount
>- that you'll be causing? Once again, completely hypocritical. If
>- you're willing to impose "damage quotas", you need to be consistent.

Ok, here's consistent. The goal is use it, but don't use it up, and preserve some, which
biologically means the same thing. Here's yer formula.

----- The General Sustainability Formula: ----- S=E/PC, sustainable if S is larger than one.
Ecosystem vigor ÷ (Pop X per capita ConsumptionWaste stream) -----
http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/e-sust-f.html

What that says is, some land is very fragile and some is very tough. You can bend it, you can dent
it, but don't break it.

If we happen to be thinking big, and the system in question is the world, then S and E/PC is the
source of all of our wealth, all of our jobs, all of our food, etc.

If we happen to be thinking smaller, and the system in question is a forest, then S and E/PC is the
source of all of that wealth, all of those jobs, all of our recreation, visual resources, grazing
rights, etc.

In general, the higher the S, the bigger the pie, the more wealth for each. The more ya dent it, the
less wealth there is per person, the smaller the slice.

That's the bottom line. Beyond that, it doesn't answer a lot of questions, but ya gatta know where
the bottom line is.

>- I've seen some horse trails that were in pretty bad shape.
>- Should horses be banned from the "wilderness"?

Everybody is looking for simple answers to complex problems. And they are simply wrong.

The real question is, how does one manage a complex system with limited funds? In the 80's we saw
USNFS funds slashed, so they closed down all the jeep trails and "obliterated" all the old logging
roads because they could no longer be managed. They shut us out. The simplified the system to match
the funding. Last time I got out of my car in the NF, some private company charged me $3. It was
were my dad as a toddler used to camp all summer for free. That sux. But S=E/PC, sustainable if S is
larger than one pretty much explains why that happened. Simply put, my slice got much smaller. The
pie aint getting no bigger, and it never will.

Another part of the problem is that humans are new to ecosystem management, so we stumble around
like crude robots instead of like fine athletes. It's all we can

Sometime that underfunded crude robot is going to ***** slap people in its attempts to do good.

So the real answer to yer question is, ain't life a *****, ya can't have a perfect world, deal with
it as best ya can. In my opinion, the blame & hate game is a sorry excuse for that. --Doug

Michael Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > Brian McGarry <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > ecosystem?

> > structure

> > for

> >>Amazing that anyone would believe this hogwash.
> >

> > The hogwash that you just spouted? Amazing indeed.
> >

> >>Can you site any examples of eco-system structure failure?
> >

> > Now you're being ridiculous - there have been enough examples of eco-structures destabilising
> > due to the part or total removal of whole species, as well as by the introduction of species not
> > native to that eco-structure. Are you unable to use logical, reasoned extrapolation? -
Oh,
> > do your own googling, you lazy *******.
> >

> > Shaun aRe - 1+1 = 2. 2+1 = 3, etsuckingfetera, dimwit.
> >

> We're all still waiting for your examples. But I guess that they would be hard to produce.
>
> Michael

"Oh, do your own googling, you lazy *******."

Shaun aRe - IDGAF if you want to keep your head up your ****, but maybe you should worry. ',;~}~

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:13, "Ian St. John"

>- Where possible, it would be even better to have complete ecosystems with
>- predators and all and limited access requiring licensing by environmental
>- groups as 'wilderness aware', but that would require building a predator
>- fence around the entire thing ( to keep the predators *in*) and is probably
>- not feasible except is some areas of the most beauty and isolation. The
>- 'hard' wilderness, so to speak as opposed to the 'medium' wilderness spoken
>- of in the polls and the 'soft' wilderness where mechnised transport is
>- allowable.
>-
>- It would be interesting to do a study to determine the way to maximize the
>- value for the land set aside, preserving contiguity between the 'hard'
>- conservation areas and the 'wilderness' areas so as to give the maximum
>- range to wildlife while maximizing the opportunity for the public to see
>- wildlife. P.S. if you do not have to carry a gun into an area for protection
>- it is 'not' wilderness but another national or state park (i.e. Safe areas
>- where the clueless city dweller can gaze at nature without understanding it
>- or needing to understand it ).

I'm probably the unusual case. My experience here in central California is, the best way to ruin a
real and true wilderness is to designate it.

I can walk a mile from the road on an ass-whoopingly beuatiful creek in the NF and spend a week
without seeing another footprint, hearing a human voice. And enough predetors to raise the hair on
yer neck and keep ya light on yer feet. I would fight that getting designated with all of my power.

Now the funny thing is, some politically powerful Wilderness types wanted to do just that. They had
all kindsa fancy colored maps, and descriptions, and money. But my being a local enviro, with like
minded friends with local blood and dirt under our fingnails, we took a vote, and they smiled and
went away. Can anybody guess why?

Is anybody listening? This is not rocket science. --Doug

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:02:40 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Would your life be better today if dinosaurs roamed the planet?
>
>Utterly pointless waste of words and question mark.

The point that sails safely untouched over your head may have been wasted on you personally, but
hardly wasted altogether.

> Would
>> your life be worse if the kangaroo rat no longer had free reign of some parcel of land?
>
>Do you even understand the first thing about the balance of an ecosystem? It's much like a house of
>cards - remove one card and the whole structure becomes weak. Remove too many, or the wrong one, or
>leave it weakened for too long, the whole structure fails.
>
>> Your tendancy to speak only in absolutes does nothing for your argument.
>
>At least he had an argument, which is infinately more than could be said for your pathetically
>uninformed nonsense of an 'opinion'.

There you go with the hyperbole again.

> And, really, get some help with your insults.
>
>You are your own perfect insult - what would anyone need help for?

Please take a moment from time to time and read over your posts before hitting <Enter>.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:02:41 -0400, "Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Then cite a poll to prove it.
>>
>> Pointless exercise. I don't believe your polls and you don't believe mine.
>
>Polls are 'data' not a belief system. You are just substituting ignorance for fact.

Horseshit. Cite some polls other than from your makepeoplestayoutofthewilderness.com. Cite some
polls from some organization you consider to be "right wing".

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:22 "Ian St. John" wrote
>- "Brian McGarry" wrote in message
>- news:[email protected]...
>- > "Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>- <snip>
>- > > population to find so it may be better to make the individual areas
>- larger
>- > > and more self contained so that minimal interconnection is needed.
>- >
>- > That's all sounds so pleasant Ian, but where do the loggers and miners fit
>- > into your ecological protected playland for the elitist recreationalist?
>-
>- The other 90% of the land. Are you really that clueless?

Laughing. Ian, ya gatta remember, these guys really do assume you (as an evil enviro, as portrayed
by Sahara Club et al) want to fence everybody out of the forest. That's what most enviros want,
isn't it? Everybody knows they are whacked out subhumans who love bugs more than people.

>- > God help us ! Do you have clew about where every modern convenience that
>- > surrounds you comes from?
>-
>- Do you know what a clue is? Or how to spell it? You seem to be a product of
>- the American so called education system.

No, they are the product of Rick Sieman, Pat Chicas et al DIRT BIKE mag, off-road.com Media and the
copy cats. The Sahara Club branch of Wise Use is alive and well there. They just love riding
dirtbikes and got sucked into it. Now its part of the culture to badmouth enviros. It's manly. They
would gag before they would write: "I love nature", even tho I bet most of them do. That's not
manly. "Super Hunkey" (umph!) Seman told them so. Ya gunna argue with a name like that? --Doug

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:39:03 GMT, [email protected] (Doug Bashford) wrote:

>>- >> >One can turn this around and point to the fact that while one RVer may
>>- >not
>>- >> >do much damage there are a growing number of them and there is not one
>>- >inch
>>- >> >of wilderness that is not under attack by four wheel drive goons.
>
>>- >> Not "one inch"? Damn. It must be much worse than I thought.
>
>But I think you see Ian St. John's point. The problem here, and it's a huge one, is that one guy
>is saying "you enviros" want it all, and another says just as silly, "you ORVes" want it all.
>That's BS.
>
>Fact is, some enviros want it all, yes. Fact is, some ORVers want it all, yes. And they are
>whackos. Tiny insignificant minority whackos.

Unfortunately, in the name of "compromise", I've seen lots of land made unavailable to the OHV
community and none ever made available. For the most part, the OHV community is willing to
compromise and the Sierra Club side is not.

>Ok, here's consistent. The goal is use it, but don't use it up, and preserve some, which
>biologically means the same thing. Here's yer formula.
>
>----- The General Sustainability Formula: ----- S=E/PC, sustainable if S is larger than one.
>Ecosystem vigor ÷ (Pop X per capita ConsumptionWaste stream) -----
>http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/e-sust-f.html
>
>What that says is, some land is very fragile and some is very tough. You can bend it, you can dent
>it, but don't break it.
>
>If we happen to be thinking big, and the system in question is the world, then S and E/PC is the
>source of all of our wealth, all of our jobs, all of our food, etc.
>
>If we happen to be thinking smaller, and the system in question is a forest, then S and E/PC is the
>source of all of that wealth, all of those jobs, all of our recreation, visual resources, grazing
>rights, etc.
>
>In general, the higher the S, the bigger the pie, the more wealth for each. The more ya dent it,
>the less wealth there is per person, the smaller the slice.
>
>That's the bottom line. Beyond that, it doesn't answer a lot of questions, but ya gatta know where
>the bottom line is.

Yep. Sounds like dirt bikes are going to be needing a lot more land and the birdwatchers - a lot
less. I'm going to leave it to you to sell it to them. Thanks.

>>- I've seen some horse trails that were in pretty bad shape.
>>- Should horses be banned from the "wilderness"?
>
>So the real answer to yer question is, ain't life a *****, ya can't have a perfect world, deal with
>it as best ya can. In my opinion, the blame & hate game is a sorry excuse for that.

Nah, that ain't the "real" answer. That's the "real sidestepper".

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:27:25 GMT, [email protected] (Doug Bashford) wrote:

>>- <snip>
>>- > > population to find so it may be better to make the individual areas
>>- larger
>>- > > and more self contained so that minimal interconnection is needed.
>>- >
>>- > That's all sounds so pleasant Ian, but where do the loggers and miners fit
>>- > into your ecological protected playland for the elitist recreationalist?
>>-
>>- The other 90% of the land. Are you really that clueless?
>
>Laughing. Ian, ya gatta remember, these guys really do assume you (as an evil enviro, as portrayed
>by Sahara Club et al) want to fence everybody out of the forest. That's what most enviros want,
>isn't it? Everybody knows they are whacked out subhumans who love bugs more than people.

That's only by observation as far as the "fencing out" goes. It's been witnessed time after
countless time. The "whacked out subhumans" thing only applies to a measurable percentage.

>>- > God help us ! Do you have clew about where every modern convenience that
>>- > surrounds you comes from?
>>-
>>- Do you know what a clue is? Or how to spell it? You seem to be a product of
>>- the American so called education system.
>
>No, they are the product of Rick Sieman, Pat Chicas et al DIRT BIKE mag, off-road.com Media and the
>copy cats. The Sahara Club branch of Wise Use is alive and well there. They just love riding
>dirtbikes and got sucked into it. Now its part of the culture to badmouth enviros. It's manly. They
>would gag before they would write: "I love nature", even tho I bet most of them do. That's not
>manly. "Super Hunkey" (umph!) Seman told them so. Ya gunna argue with a name like that?

The vast majority of the OHV population is very concerned about maintaining and sustaining the
environment. Anything less would be shooting ourselves in the foot. The "enviro" community by design
and by platform must refuse to acknowledge that. It's the only way they can attempt to approach
anything less than a completely hypocritical argument - even though it has no basis in fact.

scrape at mindspring dot com <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:02:40 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> Would your life be better today if dinosaurs roamed the planet?
> >
> >Utterly pointless waste of words and question mark.
>
> The point that sails safely untouched over your head may have been wasted on you personally, but
> hardly wasted altogether.

The irony in that stamement of yours is truly astounding, heheheheheh.......

> > Would
> >> your life be worse if the kangaroo rat no longer had free reign of some parcel of land?
> >
> >Do you even understand the first thing about the balance of an ecosystem? It's much like a house
> >of cards - remove one card and the whole structure becomes weak. Remove too many, or the wrong
> >one, or leave it weakened for too long, the whole structure fails.
> >
> >> Your tendancy to speak only in absolutes does nothing for your argument.
> >
> >At least he had an argument, which is infinately more than could be said
for
> >your pathetically uninformed nonsense of an 'opinion'.
>
> There you go with the hyperbole again.

So, mentally remove (can you even do that?!?) the 'infinately' from the above, if a slight
exageration is enough to hinder your comprehension of the truth - the message is still there, and it
still stands, hyperbole or no.

> > And, really, get some help with your insults.
> >
> >You are your own perfect insult - what would anyone need help for?
>
> Please take a moment from time to time and read over your posts before hitting <Enter>.

Oh grow up/wise up/ do whatever it is you need to do to stop being so darned 'silly' - I'm perfectly
happy with my post(s) as it was (they are), and am perfectly capable of thinking on my feet, as well
as knowing what I've written without the need to read over it. Your comment suggests you have
problems in these areas.

Anyone would think you a carthorse, blinkered as you are.

Shaun aRe