The Pope. What's He Done?.

Hans Grapje was raised in a Catholic school in The Hague and, as a young man, aspired to become a priest, but was drafted into the Army during WWII and spent two years co-piloting B17s until his aircraft was shot down in 1943 and he lost his left arm.

Captain Grapje spent the rest of the war as a chaplain, giving spiritual aid to soldiers, both Allied and enemy. After the war, he became a priest, serving as a
missionary in Africa, piloting his own plane (in spite of his handicap) to villages across the continent.

In 1997, Father Grapje was serving in Zimbabwe when an explosion in a silver mine caused a cave-in. Archbishop Grapje went down into the mine to administer last rites to those too severely injured to move. Another shaft collapsed, and he was buried for three days, suffering multiple injuries, including the loss of his right eye.

The high silver content in the mine's air gave him purpura, a life-long condition characterized by purplish skin blotches.

Although Cardinal Grapje devoted his life to the service of God as a scholar, mentor, and holy man, church leaders agree: he will never ascend to the Papacy.

No one wants a one-eyed, one-armed, flying purple Papal leader.

Woah! Scott comes through in the clutch! That was some virtuositic papal riffing, bud. Nice work.

As an RC, I have no problem with Joseph Ratzinger's election as Pope.

I think that he re-iterates RC dogma.
It is obvious that he was the consensus choice of the College of Cardinals given the short Conclave to elect him Pope.

I wish him well in his role - he has a lot to live up to following the papacy of John Paul II.

limerickman said:

It is obvious that he was the consensus choice of the College of Cardinals given the short Conclave to elect him Pope.

I wish him well in his role - he has a lot to live up to following the papacy of John Paul II.
I'm not a Roman Catholic, so I'm obviously speaking as an outsider, but I had a lot of respect for JP2's pluralistic tendencies--he showed a great deal of respect towards non-Catholics, and even non-Christians, and conducted a lot of good-faith outreach to that end. From what I've read, Ratzinger seems to be a strong traditionalist, and he's spoken out very sharply against relativism.

Thoughts?

zapper said:
White smoke, white smoke...who is it?
Don't get too excited. It's just a sign that they've finished burning all the old **** mags.

lokstah said:
You're right! Last call for bets, last call...
I couldn't get on. Tried to make the sign of the cabbage, and house. Didn't work.

jhuskey said:
I am sure that Fred is not allowed internet access while in the Conclave. He should be back from Rome soon.
What a bloody week, my knees are killing me. Up down, up down ad nauseam. Nothing to eat except little round bits of wafer topped with delicious caviar, and some rather delicious Petrus 1947 at $90,000 a bottle which they said they'd turned into blood. Well if that what blood tastes like I'll be contacting Tyler. Locked in a room with all these old KKK people with pointy hats. The singing was awful. Anyway Benedict Ratcatcher got the job, bloody kraut, some mate of Ullrich I suppose. What a bunch of miserable old pee smelling gits, they kept going to bog to change their bags and pads. God knows what else they got up to in there. Nice to be home and back amongst friends. I won't go again, it put years on me.

limerickman said:

Don't give me that bollox Lim. There's never been a radical and progressive Pope since they stopped going to war. Expect more of the same. More AIDS, women not in charge of their own bodies (contraception) and the vehement attitude and castigation of homosexuals. Oh, I can see it all now, all of Ireland on its knees, special masses this for this that and the other. I'll bet Dave Lineham the writer of 'Father Ted' is going wild with frustration. First we've got this one, and at the same time 4 arrested and charged over the Calvi/ Popes bank/ Ambrosia lark. Linehans got to have a bash. Do you know I've wrote eff all this winter. Must keep off MB's.

davidmc said:
FredC, here is news of the "Raptor 22 [Billion]"
"Changing defense needs likely to rein in F/A-22 Raptor":
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7551461/
Wotdidatelly, wotdidatelly, wotdidatelly, deze tings a nogood,nogood,nogood deze days. day only av Eurofighters to shoot at. Worrabout goin t'mars in one tryitout. tryitout.

DiabloScott said:
Hans Grapje was raised in a Catholic school in The Hague and, as a young man, aspired to become a priest, but was drafted into the Army during WWII and spent two years co-piloting B17s until his aircraft was shot down in 1943 and he lost his left arm.

Captain Grapje spent the rest of the war as a chaplain, giving spiritual aid to soldiers, both Allied and enemy. After the war, he became a priest, serving as a
missionary in Africa, piloting his own plane (in spite of his handicap) to villages across the continent.

In 1997, Father Grapje was serving in Zimbabwe when an explosion in a silver mine caused a cave-in. Archbishop Grapje went down into the mine to administer last rites to those too severely injured to move. Another shaft collapsed, and he was buried for three days, suffering multiple injuries, including the loss of his right eye.

The high silver content in the mine's air gave him purpura, a life-long condition characterized by purplish skin blotches.

Although Cardinal Grapje devoted his life to the service of God as a scholar, mentor, and holy man, church leaders agree: he will never ascend to the Papacy.

No one wants a one-eyed, one-armed, flying purple Papal leader.
Yeh, I didn't like the name Hands Gripje, I kept away from him in the toilets.

lokstah said:
I'm not a Roman Catholic, so I'm obviously speaking as an outsider, but I had a lot of respect for JP2's pluralistic tendencies--he showed a great deal of respect towards non-Catholics, and even non-Christians, and conducted a lot of good-faith outreach to that end. From what I've read, Ratzinger seems to be a strong traditionalist, and he's spoken out very sharply against relativism.

Thoughts?

Well, I think that JP2 was a charismatic man and he did manage to appeal to a lot of people outside of the RC faith.
Within the RC faith, he was viewed as a traditionalist and on the issues of morality/doctrine, he and the new Pope were at one.
So from a RC point of view, while JP2 may have had a "media friendly" image,
himself and Ratzinger were from the same orthodox policy stance as regards morality/doctrine of the RC faith.

I think Ratzinger is not as charismatic as his predecessor and that will hinder him.
Because JP2, while holding the exact same views as Pope Benedict, Benedict
is already being viewed as ultra-right wing.
The fact of the matter is that he is as rightwing as his predecessor was.

FredC said:
Don't give me that bollox Lim. There's never been a radical and progressive Pope since they stopped going to war. Expect more of the same. More AIDS, women not in charge of their own bodies (contraception) and the vehement attitude and castigation of homosexuals. Oh, I can see it all now, all of Ireland on its knees, special masses this for this that and the other. I'll bet Dave Lineham the writer of 'Father Ted' is going wild with frustration. First we've got this one, and at the same time 4 arrested and charged over the Calvi/ Popes bank/ Ambrosia lark. Linehans got to have a bash. Do you know I've wrote eff all this winter. Must keep off MB's.

I think this is the year of the Germans.
I wonder what odds on a Ratzinger/Ullrich double ?

FredC said:
What a bloody week, my knees are killing me. Up down, up down ad nauseam. Nothing to eat except little round bits of wafer topped with delicious caviar, and some rather delicious Petrus 1947 at $90,000 a bottle which they said they'd turned into blood. Well if that what blood tastes like I'll be contacting Tyler. Locked in a room with all these old KKK people with pointy hats. The singing was awful. Anyway Benedict Ratcatcher got the job, bloody kraut, some mate of Ullrich I suppose. What a bunch of miserable old pee smelling gits, they kept going to bog to change their bags and pads. God knows what else they got up to in there. Nice to be home and back amongst friends. I won't go again, it put years on me.

Burn the ****! Now that is sacrilige!

FredC said:
Sounds like something they'd have done at Bush's alma mater-Skull & Bones:
http://www.freedomdomain.com/skullbones.html

FredC said:
Yes, I do believe that they might soon catch up w/ the 19th century inre: the topics you outlined :rolleyes: In the immortal words of Lim, I always wanted to say (type) this: "Quel suprise !!!" Incidentally, isn't this guy 78 yrs old :confused: Young & spry, by Vatican standards, I suppose.

davidmc said:
Yes, I do believe that they might soon catch up w/ the 19th century inre: the topics you outlined :rolleyes: In the immortal words of Lim, I always wanted to say (type) this: "Quel suprise !!!" Incidentally, isn't this guy 78 yrs old :confused: Young & spry, by Vatican standards, I suppose.
Ah the 19th century, when does that one start? Now Shuuush David, and I'll tell you something. It's actually 'Quelle surprise'. Not that it matters much when you speak the words. Leave that one with Lim, you can have 'Ca m'etonne' which is 'that astonishes (amazes) me'.

FredC said:
Ah the 19th century, when does that one start? Now Shuuush David, and I'll tell you something. It's actually 'Quelle surprise'. Not that it matters much when you speak the words. Leave that one with Lim, you can have 'Ca m'etonne' which is 'that astonishes (amazes) me'.
Thank you. I wrote it down. :)