Travelling in FRA: Questions from a first time Tour spectator

jhk221979

May 11, 2004
I've made a last minute decision to see the Tour this year. I've always planned to go see it and I decided that there is no time like the present. Given this is a last minute decision I am looking to spend as little $$$ as possible.

Here's my plan:
I'll fly from Boston to France and plan to spend one week abroad. I'd liek to catch the stages in the Alps (July 15-23ish). I'm going to get a plane ticket to Paris or Milan and get a rental car to get me to the stages.

Here's my questions:
1. How difficult will it be to rent a car? If I'm watching stages in the Alps is a car rental a 'must have'?

2. I'm planning to camp, how do I find campgrounds?
Is it safe to leave my pack and tent in my rental car during the day when I hike up to the course with my daypack?

3. Is renting a bike somewhere in France an option?

Thanks for you help.

Originally posted by jhk221979
I've made a last minute decision to see the Tour this year. I've always planned to go see it and I decided that there is no time like the present. Given this is a last minute decision I am looking to spend as little $$$ as possible.

Here's my plan:
I'll fly from Boston to France and plan to spend one week abroad. I'd liek to catch the stages in the Alps (July 15-23ish). I'm going to get a plane ticket to Paris or Milan and get a rental car to get me to the stages.

Here's my questions:
1. How difficult will it be to rent a car? If I'm watching stages in the Alps is a car rental a 'must have'?

2. I'm planning to camp, how do I find campgrounds?
Is it safe to leave my pack and tent in my rental car during the day when I hike up to the course with my daypack?

3. Is renting a bike somewhere in France an option?

Thanks for you help.

1) carrental is as easy as somewhere else (you have to be older than 18 and bring your driver licence+credit card); regarding the alp stages, never mind about the type of car, the smallest as possible because you have to leave it beside the road there are no parking spaces in the alp roads; go very early to the stage roads (even 1 day before); to see 2 stages in a row is difficult due to traffic jam and number of spectators, so you could select 2 or 3 stages but better not in a row (I recommend the time trial in alp d'huez!!!)
2) camping is not difficult, but during the tour everything will be full I think, try to reserve in advance (I don't know if this works); at the limit sleep in you car or put the tent somewhere beside you car&road
3) renting a bike is possible but in the alps you need to have good legs.....

the easiest would be to go either to Paris or Lyon (even closer) by plane; from Paris you have to count 500-750km to go to the alps; Milan is an option (compare the costs)

good trip&tour