Tufo tape for mounting tubular tires

lithiapark

Dec 11, 2003
Does anyone have experience with Tufo Tubular Tire Mounting Tape? Specificallly, has anyone ever had a tire come off the rim that had been "glued" with this tape? I have had two tubular tire sidewall gashes that abruptly decompressed the tire and they stayed on the rims just fine. Was I lucky, or does this stuff work well for others too?

I don't have that many miles on mine so I'll relate the experience of some other users I know. Basically, no one has had a problem with the tape, although typically we all mount with a secondary adhesive on rim/tire in addition to the tape strips. It all has held really well under some extreme situations. One guy told me though that he thought the extreme tape was easier to use relative to tire installation.

Originally posted by lithiapark
Does anyone have experience with Tufo Tubular Tire Mounting Tape? Specificallly, has anyone ever had a tire come off the rim that had been "glued" with this tape?

The Tufo tape is all I use (as well as two of my local LBS's), and I have not heard of any negative experiences. Just recently I came off 40+mph descents followed by braking into turns, and had no problems with the tape whatsoever.

I have put thousands of miles on tires mounted with tufo tape and had no problems with the tires wanting to come off. I've used it for racing tight criteriums and downhills of 50 mph. In fact it takes almost too much force to get a tire off the rim (kills my thumbs). After removing a tire, the tape stays on the tire, leaving the rim almost totally clean.

The positive of using the tape is that you can immediately ride the tire. Make sure the rim is clean (furniture paint stripper can remove old rim cement). Also, be careful to place the tire squarely on the rim the first time as you can't easily slide the tire around a bit like you might with a liquid cement.

The negatives: if you get a flat away from home (if you're not using them for just racing), you have to carry tape as well as a tire (and it's difficult to carry the tape without mashing it which then makes it very difficult to unfold); also carry a small knife or scissors to trim the excess length off. Also, the tape tends to be just a bit wider than my rims, so there's usually a bit that is exposed along the edge which can look tacky and sometimes peel off in little strips.

Has anyone used the Extreme tape for 'cross? I would love to never glue another tire. Will it still hold with only 30 psi?