Ullrich announces he will take DNA test to prove innocence....

Is this from a statement by Ullrich? It's odd that it isn't bigger news. This is probably old news, or maybe erroneous.

limerickman said:
Fair point.

But when your team drops you - you cannot start screaming blue murder.
TMO made the correct decision given the evidence at the time.
Ullrich had to provide evidence other than just statements/words to counter the evidence that TMO were given.

Now JU is going a stage further - Ullrich's issue is not with TMO and their decision to drop him.
Ullrich needs to provide evidence which will counter the central piece of evidence against him (ie his blood in that lab).

Ullrich could be posturing of course, I don't know.

But it would be crazy if he guilty - to prolong his situation by offering DNA
if he already knows that he has cheated, wouldn't it?
Sorry to dissapoint you Lim (and i hope i am wrong) but my sources tell me that Jan won't do a DNA test (at least not at the moment)...

And there is other bad knews, i saw pictures of Sinkewitz with Ferrari last week (by the way: Danielson was also on the picture) and in tomorrows edition of the Süddeutsche Zeitung there is an article where a hesitating Olaf Ludwig admits that Sinkewitz works with Ferrari (Rogers does as well & some riders of other teams).

Still the evidence is not evidence, not even a bit. The mobile messages that where send to Fuentes (during the Giro) where coming from a Belgian mobile number. The Guardia Civil THINKS it was Rudy Pevenage.

It doesn't look good & yes it's hard for me to stay independent (as i am a JU fan too) but i go with JHuskey if the ship sinks... okay i will sink with it.

Ullrich response has been much different than say Botero or Mancebo. Those two just threw in the towel because they could be bothered fighting when they knew they were guilty. Ullrich has a lot of money and can fight this case. Problem he has is that who does he sue ? who does he fight ? He can only submit DNA if the Spanish guard ask for it. T-Mobile can't suspend him forever. His contract is up at the end of the year. He'll go ride for someone else and win the Tour. The UCI can't do anything because there is still no proof that he actually doped. Jan's saying: "I don't know Fuentes" is true but how do we know RudyP didn't undertake the transfusions himself or have someone do it in Switzerland ? He's not a doctor. Secondary to this on two of the supposed recorded transfusions dates Jan was in South Africa training. Now tell me they shipped the blood over there ? This along with Rudy asking for blood to shipped two hours before the time trial at the Giro. Seriously the facts don’t really add up to a lot. I've seen better cases put forward by first year legal students. Get the CSI team on this one !

limerickman said:
Fair point.

But when your team drops you - you cannot start screaming blue murder.
TMO made the correct decision given the evidence at the time.
Ullrich had to provide evidence other than just statements/words to counter the evidence that TMO were given.

Now JU is going a stage further - Ullrich's issue is not with TMO and their decision to drop him.
Ullrich needs to provide evidence which will counter the central piece of evidence against him (ie his blood in that lab).

Ullrich could be posturing of course, I don't know.

But it would be crazy if he guilty - to prolong his situation by offering DNA
if he already knows that he has cheated, wouldn't it?

cyclingheroes said:
Sorry to dissapoint you Lim (and i hope i am wrong) but my sources tell me that Jan won't do a DNA test (at least not at the moment)...

And there is other bad knews, i saw pictures of Sinkewitz with Ferrari last week (by the way: Danielson was also on the picture) and in tomorrows edition of the Süddeutsche Zeitung there is an article where a hesitating Olaf Ludwig admits that Sinkewitz works with Ferrari (Rogers does as well & some riders of other teams).

Still the evidence is not evidence, not even a bit. The mobile messages that where send to Fuentes (during the Giro) where coming from a Belgian mobile number. The Guardia Civil THINKS it was Rudy Pevenage.

It doesn't look good & yes it's hard for me to stay independent (as i am a JU fan too) but i go with JHuskey if the ship sinks... okay i will sink with it.

Thanks for this update.

What can be said?

If JU is proven to have doped - like you, JH and others, I will sink with that ship.
I was under the assumption that JU was prepared to give a DNA sample.
But if this isn't the case - then JU needs to provide evidence that can clearly
contradict the evidence which the Spanish authorities have in their possession (if he can).

And now Sinkewitz is being drawn in too?

Where will this end?

I think we all need to calm down... Ullrich said he would give a DNA sample IF the Spanish Guard asked for it.

Ludwig is showing transparency for the team and mentioning which riders work with whom and on what basis. Sinkewitz's association with Ferrari is not admission of dope taking. If we listed all the riders who work with Ferrari in the peleton there would only be French riders left at the Tour. Hincapie, Landis and Levi are just a few who do. If Sinkewitz is a cheat then so are they. They all should go down. I think we should wait for more facts and not base everything on our emotions.

limerickman said:
Thanks for this update.

What can be said?

If JU is proven to have doped - like you, JH and others, I will sink with that ship.
I was under the assumption that JU was prepared to give a DNA sample.
But if this isn't the case - then JU needs to provide evidence that can clearly
contradict the evidence which the Spanish authorities have in their possession (if he can).

And now Sinkewitz is being drawn in too?

Where will this end?

limerickman said:

Remember you said that if and when that proof is available. :p For a team that you touted as the cleanest in the peloton, because of its years of underperformance (using the potentially misguided logic of "it's performing so poorly, it probably ain't doping"). ;)

I hope the Spanish police do ask for a blood sample, and that JU will give it. That would bring some good solid fact into the equation that would rule him in or out, rather than just being under suspicion (though it is a very heavy suspicion given the evidence).

limerickman said:
Here's what I am suggesting.

JU's statements to TMO lawyers was emphatic last week.
JU's signing a declaration that he never dealt with Fuentes was emphatic.

Now, JU is prepared to give a DNA sample in order to challenge the identity of the "JAN" blood held by the Spanish police.
Again, another emphatic declaration by JU that he had nothing whatsoever got anything to do with Fuentes.

If JU's DNA is different to the labs blood DNA sample - JU is in the clear, in so
far as his blood is not the blood at the lab.

BUT.
If Pevenage went on a solo run - and was somehow involved with Fuentes without Jan's knowledge......it could be the case that if JU's DNA matched the
blood sample DNA ......it could mean that Pevenage had in fact gone on a solo run with Fuentes without JU being aware of it.

How could JU not be aware? It doesn't make sense...

Here's my suggestion: The only person to have had any sort of 'contact' with Fuentes, whether in person or by phone, was Pevenage. He did all the running around while JU basically stood in the shadows. This is why JU may be technically correct when he protested that he never met or had any sort of contact with Fuentes. I don't think he ever did.

Ullrich may use that info to his advantage by claiming that Pevenage did a solo run as you suggested. He could claim he had no knowledge of what Pevenage was doing. He would also back up his claim by the fact that he never tested positive.

Ofcourse for this to work Pevenage has to agree to be the fall guy. We'll just have to see what happens next.

"The Spanish judicial authorities don't have to investigate further concerning these riders," he said. "As of now, the investigation will go ahead concerning Fuentes, Manolo Saiz and the other persons who were taken into custody at the beginning of the affair. We have received the first dossier of about 50 pages from the Spanish court, and a sanction will be following soon. We are only waiting for the whole dossier, maybe another 300 pages - then the cycling federation can start the procedure."
UCI president Pat McQuaid

whiteboytrash said:
Secondary to this on two of the supposed recorded transfusions dates Jan was in South Africa training. Now tell me they shipped the blood over there ? This along with Rudy asking for blood to shipped two hours before the time trial at the Giro.
nobody said Rudy Pevenage ordered some blood from Fuente's candy store before the Giro ITT. He just wanted to talk to him. In addition Ullrich had already 3 transfusions before the Giro, so Pevenage probably wanted to talk about another thing. Are you sure Ullrich was in South Africa? Well, that doesn't make sense at all. there is another rumour that TMO asked Jan to do a DNA test during the Giro, but he refused it. then there's another source claiming Ulle wants to do a test and another source says Jan has disappeared.

p.s. according to the German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung, which has a very high reputation, TMO offered Jan Ullrich an instant DNA test after they suspended him, but he rejected this chance. :(

rockinchair said:
p.s. according to the German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung, which has a very high reputation, TMO offered Jan Ullrich an instant DNA test after they suspended him, but he rejected this chance. :(
If that is true, then he is guilty. He wouldn't miss the TDF for anything.

rockinchair said:
Sounds bad, but I still say that if I suddenly found out I was implicated in a scandal and I was NOT culpable, I would be very wary of suddenly being asked to give samples in an unorthodox, rushed manner. I don't think Ullrich should be judged for being cautious and prudent. If a DNA test is all it would take to exonerate him, then he has the right to see the evidence that is being used to compel it, and to have counsel review and confirm chain of custody, etc.

It's just too bad that the report that led to his expulsion was released so close to the start of the TdF. He may be guilty, but I prefer to wait until the dust settles and all the evidence is in before I condemn him myself.

The UCI is so sure of the guilt of the named riders that they are proceeding with sanctions. They have recieved enough, but not all of the information available to go forward. I cannot imagine that the UCI would not have absolute proof before they destroyed the career and reputation of someone like JU.
If they proceed with this, and JU is proven innocent, then the reprucussions will be immense.
There has to be more proof then what they have released to the public. In the beginning of this scandal a statement was made by McQuaid to the effect of suspicions of this going on to the Spanish authorities. {Federation or civil authorities?] There just has to be much more then what is in the public media.

If it turns out that Ullrich is actually innocent, that Lance never doped, that Hamilton was framed by a mysterious L'Equipe reporter that hates Labradors, that Dr. Ferrari only prescibes plenty of sleep and eating right, then I sure want to see the massive conspiracy behind all these allegations. It would put to shame the Kennedy assasination, the coverup of space aliens, and the giant Himalayan snow monster.

Most of the time, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a bloody duck...

I used to defend LA, but I am through with that nonsense. No surprise to me that Landis and Discovery are not caught up with Fuentes. Dr. Ferrari no doubt has his own office and dope ring.

I'm not going down on any ship with any of these athletes. If they drown, it's their own fault.

jhuskey said:
I defended Lance and I defend Jan until proven guilty and I will go down with the ship if necessary. Bring it on and if he is found guilty I will be the fool, but if he is not I will make every one of you that damn him eat **** and I can do it.
You don't know me and I am a relentless asshole when ****** off.
So lets be friends for now and see what happens.
kUM BA YA, MF!
Agree 100%, we don't need to condemn till we know..just like with Lance.

rockinchair said:
That doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.

Presumably the blood in question is in the possession of the Spanish authorities. What are TMO going to do with a DNA sample if they have nothing to compare Ullrich's blood to?