Unconstitutional requirement for a marriage license?

"Dennis Kemmerer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> There is. A judge has to issue an order. Until he does, you aren't divorced.
>
>That's a legal proceeding, not a ceremony.

A ceremony is part of a legal proceeding, when it is a hoop jumped through for legal purposes.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email protected] Bob LeChevalier, Founder, The Logical Language Group (Opinions are my own;
I do not speak for the organization.) Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org

[email protected] (Ninure Saunders) wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>, Bob LeChevalier <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>[email protected] (Ninure Saunders) wrote: ->-Where does it say the marriage
>ceremony has to be religious? JPs ->-and other magistrates can - and very often do - perform
>perform ->-perfectly secular ceremonies. -> ->But why should any "ceremone" be required? - -Because
>"We the people" say so.
>
>"We" do?
>
>I don't recall this ever being on any ballot anywhere, or open for discussion anywhere.

Most laws were written long before any of us were born, and the were decided by our duly-elected
representatives.

>= You want legal recognition for your
>-relationship, you jump through the required legal hoops, whatever they -be. If they aren't
>unconstitutional, there is no problem.
>
>But the question hasn't really been resolved....is it consitutional?
>
>And I begin to suspect it s NOT, since some cermonies are recognized as "valid", and some are
>obiously not.

I have officiated at two weddings. A JOP officiated at mine.

>->There is no requirement for a "divorce ceremony", is there? - -There is. A judge has to issue an
>order. Until he does, you aren't -divorced.
>
>But there is no ceremony....
>
>A court urder and/or legal decision is NOT a "ceremony".

Of course it is.

>Main Entry: cer·e·mo·ny Pronunciation: 'ser-&-"mO-nE Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural -nies
>Etymology: Middle English ceremonie, from Middle French cérémonie, from Latin caerimonia
>1 : a formal act or series of acts prescribed by ritual, protocol, or convention <the marriage
> ceremony> ...

A court order is a formal act. It is prescribed by a ritual called "the law", and its form follows
certain conventions of legal English, and most legal decision follow such conventions as "stare
decisis" and the common law. The court order is usually preceded in most states by a ritual called a
"hearing", which follows a certain protocol. In some states, you can waive this "hearing" by
following a different protocol.

90% if what a judge does is ceremony, entirely governed by ritual, protocol, or convention
(or all 3).

lojbab
--

<[email protected]> wrote:
>"Dennis Kemmerer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>berlin.de...
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> > Yah, they are authorized . . . but why should the government authorize clergymen and no one
>> > else to do this?
>>
>> It's merely a convenience for those opting for a church marriage.
>
>Again, since the 1st Amendment sez the gov't "shall make no law respecting an establishment of
>religion," wouldn't you rather suspect that preachers should be barred from taking an official and
>legally binding role in determining the legal status of a couple?

Barring preachers from things which other citizens can do would be discrimination AGAINST religion.

>Actually, there is no secular purpose served by requiring the couple to endure a ritual of
>solemnization, and to require such a ritual or ceremony itself is a sort of "establishment of
>religion" and is itself unconstitutional. Hah.

No, since the ceremony need not be religious. Requiring the jumping through of "unnecessary" hoops
is not inherently a religious activity.

The state interest in the ceremony is that the couple make a public commitment to each other in
front of witnesses, some period of time after the license has been obtained.

>So . . . it's not a issue of "let 'em do it 'cause it's simpler," it's an issue of "what the hell
>is the government authorizing clergymen to sign secular government documents at all?"

The government is authorizing citizens to sign certain secular government documents, the citizens
having previously filed with the government for the power to do so.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email protected] Bob LeChevalier, Founder, The Logical Language Group (Opinions are my own;
I do not speak for the organization.) Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:32:29 -0800, "Dennis Kemmerer"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bob LeChevalier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> [email protected] (Ninure Saunders) wrote:
>> >-Where does it say the marriage ceremony has to be religious? JPs -and other magistrates can -
>> >and very often do - perform perform -perfectly secular ceremonies.
>> >
>> >But why should any "ceremone" be required?
>>
>> Because "We the people" say so. You want legal recognition for your relationship, you jump
>> through the required legal hoops, whatever they be. If they aren't unconstitutional, there is no
>> problem.
>>
>> >There is no requirement for a "divorce ceremony", is there?
>>
>> There is. A judge has to issue an order. Until he does, you aren't divorced.
>
>That's a legal proceeding, not a ceremony.

This would only be if he were to sign and rubber stamp the paper with UNCEREMONIOUS rapidity. :^)

ward

"The fact is that the GOP is still the only place where a klansman can feel at home."

-- David Duke, 2002

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:58:42 GMT, <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> The clergy really only act in the official capacity as a witness and signs the marriage license
>> where the JP would. The clergy really isn't empowered with anything more than ceremonial duties
>> as far as the state is
>concerned.
>> That they are given such a role is really just makes it so that someone
>who
>> gets a religious ceremony also does not have to visit a JP.
>

>But . . . as soon as a clergyman's signature/ceremony completes a secular requirement that affects
>the legal standing of two people, you have an impermissable establishment of religion, contrary to
>the 1st Amendment. Really and truly, if it is the state's intention to make the process simpler for
>the couple involved, there is no reason why their legal standing cannot be completed while they
>submit the application to the government official in charge of marriage forms. I suppose the
>current system is a holdback from the days when two people weren't considered married until the
>preacher did the "magic" ceremony and said some religious words over them, and the government's
>concern was simply to keep track of who did what. Nowadays, as you pointed out, it doesn't take any
>magic words or supernatural ceremony to bind two people together; all it really takes is a
>government form, and a few words from a JP or a ship captain (who may or may not be an atheist). I
>think it's time to eliminate the role of the clergy completely from the legal requirements
>involving marriage. --Tock

You stick with this one beyond al reason -- the government DOES NOT PLACE ANY SORT OF RELIGIOUS
REQUIREMENT -- they neither REQUIRE or FORBID religious participation -- the citizens are then FREE
to do as they wish.

You are inventing a problem and making us all look foolish!

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:01:34 GMT, <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Dennis Kemmerer" <[email protected]> wrote
>> I think there's other issues that are far more important.
>

>Perhaps . . . perhaps not . . . It seems that some folks are so upset with a perceived "attack on
>marriage" that they feel a need to preserve it with an amendment to the Constitution saying that
>gays can't be married. IMHO, silly, and, as you say, there are other issues that are far more
>important. However . . . it is not a good indication that there are so many people willing to mess
>with the Constitution over what should really be a trivial matter. If the issue of "Marriage" was
>left entirely up to churches, and if the legal status of couples were left entirely up to the
>officials in secular government, perhaps the folks proposing to mutilate the Constitution would
>feel that their divinely-recognized marriage was not in danger, and would then be less likely to
>proceed with their threatened carnage upon the foundation of American government. And then,
>citizens of the US would recognize that the government's "marriage license" had nothing to do with
>the Will of God, but only established legal recognition of human relationships, then perhaps it
>would make recognizing gay and lesbian relationships simple . . . or at least, simpler . . .
>
>So . . . perhaps, perhaps not . . . --Tock

IT'S NOT EVEN AN ISSUE FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!

ward
"The fact is that the GOP is still the only place where a klansman can feel at home."

-- David Duke, 2002

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:15:32 GMT, "Light Templar"
<[email protected]> wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Ninure Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> .covad.net...
>> > In article <[email protected]>, Bob LeChevalier <[email protected]>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > [email protected] (Ninure Saunders) wrote: ->-Where does it say the marriage
>> > ceremony has to be religious? JPs ->-and other magistrates can - and very often do - perform
>> > perform ->-perfectly secular ceremonies. -> ->But why should any "ceremone" be required? - -
>> > Because "We the people" say so.
>> >
>> > "We" do?
>> >
>> > I don't recall this ever being on any ballot anywhere, or open for discussion anywhere.
>>
>> It's not . . . it was settled years ago, with the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution: "Congress
>> shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion . . ." And when a minister or preacher
>> or rabbi are authorized
>> sign a government document that affects the status of two people, you have an establishment of
>> religion, lol. Unconstitutional as holy hell, lol .
>
>Not quite. The signature for the person that performs the cerimony is only that, to show someone
>performed the cerimony. The document is later signed by your county, city, ect, clerk for legal
>verification.

Just a LITTLE more scrutiny in Canada == we were required to produce picture ID and to affirm that
we were the persons in the ID and further affirm that we were not otherwise married and that we were
entering freely into this arrangement. All perfectly sensible and appropriate questions.

ward

"Public officials may not avoid a constitutional duty by bowing to the effects of private prejudice,
however widely or deeply held." Palmer v. Thompson, 403 U.S. 217, at 260-61 (1971)

"Ward Stewart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:01:34 GMT, <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >"Dennis Kemmerer" <[email protected]> wrote
> >> I think there's other issues that are far more important.
> >
> >Perhaps . . . perhaps not . . . It seems that some folks are so upset with a perceived "attack on
marriage"
> >that they feel a need to preserve it with an amendment to the
Constitution
> >saying that gays can't be married. IMHO, silly, and, as you say, there
are
> >other issues that are far more important. However . . . it is not a
good
> >indication that there are so many people willing to mess with the Constitution over what should
> >really be a trivial matter. If the issue of "Marriage" was left entirely up to churches, and if
the
> >legal status of couples were left entirely up to the officials in secular government, perhaps the
> >folks proposing to mutilate the Constitution
would
> >feel that their divinely-recognized marriage was not in danger, and would then be less likely to
> >proceed with their threatened carnage upon the foundation of American government. And then,
> >citizens of the US would recognize that the government's "marriage license" had nothing to do
> >with the Will of God, but only established legal recognition of human relationships, then perhaps
> >it would make recognizing gay and lesbian relationships simple . . . or at least, simpler . . .
> >
> >So . . . perhaps, perhaps not . . . --Tock
> >
> IT'S NOT EVEN AN ISSUE FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!

Hey, if 'tock' wants to fight that battle, I say, 'Let him!'

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 01:45:13 GMT, Ward Stewart
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You are inventing a problem and making us all look foolish!

ever happen in the US. The upcoming decision by the legislature in Massachusetts will further
emphasize that FACT.

--
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:17:25 GMT, Ward Stewart <[email protected]>
wrote: We HAVE earned a status as worthy as Liza Minelli or the Gabor

Why don't we just get the government out of the marriage game altogether and replace it with the
notion of "civil union." Such a civil union would allow two or more adult persons to declare they
have chosen to live in a communal state and to share benefits and responsibilities. Such a union
could be anything from the "traditional" marriage of a man to a woman to two or more

state once it is properly declared, and the union can be disolved with an appropriate distribution
of benefits and responsibilities.

-- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 02:48:38 GMT, James L. Ryan <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Why don't we just get the government out of the marriage game altogether and replace it with the
>notion of "civil union." Such a civil union would allow two or more adult persons to declare they
>have chosen to live in a communal state and to share benefits and responsibilities. Such a union
>could be anything from the "traditional" marriage of a man to a woman to two or more

>state once it is properly declared, and the union can be disolved with an appropriate distribution
>of benefits and responsibilities.

How utterly ignorant!

>-- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

James L. Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:
>Why don't we just get the government out of the marriage game altogether and replace it with the
>notion of "civil union." Such a civil union would allow two or more adult persons to declare they
>have chosen to live in a communal state and to share benefits and responsibilities. Such a union
>could be anything from the "traditional" marriage of a man to a woman to two or more

>state once it is properly declared, and the union can be disolved with an appropriate distribution
>of benefits and responsibilities.

Even if it were agreed, turning this into law would be impossible.

Every state in the union would have to amend a zillion laws and regulations, and sometimes their
constitutions. The Feds would have to do the same. We'd probably have to rewrite some treaties,
to account for mentions of how we treat foreigners who are married but who have not enacted a
civil union.

Then every married couple would have to go through the new procedure to be civilly united, since all
the stuff that formerly was based on marriage would be gone.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email protected] Bob LeChevalier, Founder, The Logical Language Group (Opinions are my own;
I do not speak for the organization.) Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> The issue, IMHO, is that the government empowers a clergyman/religious ritual to validate a
> government document . . . at all.

That is not what happens.

> Really and truly, preachers have no legitimate role in the government's business of recognizing
> any sort of legal relationship. I could see how
the
> state could issue the marriage license, then require them to swear
something
> legal-ish in front of a JP, but why should a common preacher be empowered
by
> the gov't to serve this purpose? IMHO, it's unconstitutional as unconstitutional can be. No way
> should the state empower a clergyman to make an application for a government license valid. Hah .
> . . You know, if someone was to make an issue of this and run it through the courts, it could
> invalidate millions of marriages that were validated by clergymen, and technically make their
> children "bastards" lol . . . It would also require states to make all joinings between two people
> legal (I suppose it could be called either a "Civil Union" or a "marriage") with
only
> civil proceedures . . . and put the church in its rightful place. Of course, if people wanted to
> have a religious ritual after the government paperwork was done, they still could, no problem
> there. I
would
> expect it would still be a popular option. But again, there's no way whether or not a religious
> ritual was performed should concern the secular government. Whatcha think about that?

I think it is none of your business to worry about what other people may or may not be doing. Maybe
the government should impose a state religion just to shut people like you up.

--
Atheism teaches that there is no God, hence no God-given rights. That ideology coupled with a system
that believed in the superiority of the state at the expense of the individual was murderously

> --Tock

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 21:45:53 -0600, Juan Horovitz wrote
(in article <[email protected]>):

"civil union" (which can be amongst two or more persons.]

> How utterly ignorant!

And why is my suggestion "utterly ignorant?" An elaboration would be appreciated. Such a civil union
as I suggested in no way would preclude persons from having a religious marriage in which the vows
taken bind them spiritually to whatever constraints and conditions that religion would impose.

wrote:

>Why don't we just get the government out of the marriage game altogether and replace it with the
>notion of "civil union." Such a civil union would allow two or more adult persons to declare they
>have chosen to live in a communal state and to share benefits and responsibilities. Such a union
>could be anything from the "traditional" marriage of a man to a woman to two or more

>state once it is properly declared, and the union can be disolved with an appropriate distribution
>of benefits and responsibilities.
>

>-- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

Not a problem for me -- Most of europe and Canada have a similar arrangement -- folks marry in the
mayors office (or secular equivalent) and then go on to church (if that is their free choice) --
simplicity ---

HOWEVER, just try this sensible arrangement on the supposed Christians, phobes and shriekers -- they
would not wait a wink to decide that Gays were, in some mysterious and underhanded way, being
improperly advantaged.

ward

"We are all tied together in a single garment of destiny . . . I can never be what I ought to be
until you are allowed to be what you ought to be," she said, quoting her husband. "I've always felt
that homophobic attitudes and policies were unjust and unworthy of a free society and must be
opposed by all Americans who believe in democracy," Coretta Scott King

"James L. Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Why don't we just get the government out of the marriage game altogether
and
> replace it with the notion of "civil union." Such a civil union would
allow
> two or more adult persons to declare they have chosen to live in a
communal
> state and to share benefits and responsibilities. Such a union could be anything from the
> "traditional" marriage of a man to a woman to two or
more

> state once it is properly declared, and the union can be disolved with an appropriate distribution
> of benefits and responsibilities. -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me . . . I did a little checking, and it seems that a very few
states (such as California) allow "just anyone" to perform a wedding, no need for judges or
preachers; all they need to do is submit a request with $$. In Colorado, the couple themselves can
solemnize the relationship while in the County Clerk's office, no muss, no fuss (IMHO, an option
that should be allowed in every state). But in the majority of states, the laws are written so that
only Judges and preachers are allowed to seal a relationship (some states require the minister to
submit only a general document showing they are somehow connected with a religious organization,
others-like Nevada-require the minister to give a list of his church members and give details of
what he does in his church).

But it seems that some folks see no contradiction between the 1st Amendment "Congress shall make no
law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . " and
state laws that allow only judges and preachers and exclude anyone else in performing marriage
ceremonies. Here's a few sample state laws (Arizona, Washington, and Ohio):

State of Arizona: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/25/00124.htm&Titl
e=25&DocType=ARS 25-124. Persons authorized to perform marriage ceremony; definition
A. The following are authorized to solemnize marriages between persons who are authorized to marry:
1. Duly licensed or ordained clergymen.
2. Judges of courts of record.
3. Municipal court judges.
4. Justices of the peace.
5. Justices of the United States supreme court.
6. Judges of courts of appeals, district courts and courts that are created by an act of Congress
if the judges are entitled to hold office during good behavior.
7. Bankruptcy court and tax court judges.
8. United States magistrate judges.
9. Judges of the Arizona court of military appeals.
B. For the purposes of this section, "licensed or ordained clergymen" includes ministers, elders or
other persons who by the customs, rules and regulations of a religious society or sect are
authorized or permitted to solemnize marriages or to officiate at marriage ceremonies.

----
Rules for Washington State: http://www.metrokc.gov/lars/marriage/question.htm#who Who Can Perform
the Marriage Ceremony?
10. Who is authorized to perform marriages? State law prescribes who can marry. Under R.C.W.
26.04.050, active and retired justices of the supreme court, judges of the court of appeals,
judges of the superior courts, superior court commissioners, any regularly licensed or ordained
minister or any priest of any church or religious denomination, and judges (SEE LIST: 37KB DOC ,
22KB RTF ) of courts of limited jurisdiction may perform marriages.

------------------

State law for Ohio:

http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h. htm&cp=PORC

section 3101.08 Who May Solemnize.

An ordained or licensed minister of any religious society or congregation within this state who is
licensed to solemnize marriages, a judge of a county court in accordance with section 1907.18 of the
Revised Code, a judge of a municipal court in accordance with section 1901.14 of the Revised Code, a
probate judge in accordance with section 2101.27 of the Revised Code, the mayor of a municipal
corporation in any county in which such municipal corporation wholly or partly lies, the
superintendent of the state school for the deaf, or any religious society in conformity with the
rules of its church, may join together as husband and wife any persons who are not prohibited by law
from being joined in marriage.

----------------
Here's a list of who is authorized to perform marriage ceremonies, state by state:
http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/officiants_requirements/index .shtml

----------------
Again, IMHO, an atheist couple is wronged when a state limits their choices to either a judge or a
preacher, as there are many more preachers than judges, and a theist couple will have a much easier
time finding a preacher to solemnize their relationship (usually their own), while non-theists are
not allowed to ask an atheist friend to do the same. Of course, as the 1st Amendment says, "Congress
shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion," there is no reason for states to
establish religious officials as a special group invested with a legal authority to change a
couple's legal status in the first place.

The solution . . . to make the system equitable to everyone and to comply with the 1st Amendment,
would be to either eliminate the preachers from their current role, and process every couple
through the same secular system. OR, each state should allow anyone (including preachers) to
solemnize relationships. Clearly, the current laws create unequitable conditions for theist and
non-theist couples.

Some objections have been made to the effect that it is not in the state's interest to let "just
anybody" perform marriages. IMHO, state licensed marriage counselors would be a far better choice
for performing marriages than preachers who often lack any training whatsoever in maritial
relationship issues, yet there is no state that prohibits clergy and mandates licensed marriage
counselors. So, it's clear that states have not made their laws with this concern in mind.

Some objections have been raised that this is a non-issue, that I should "mind my own business,"
and that there is not a problem when a state law elevates religious officials to the same level
of elected/appointed judges in matters that affect the legal status of a couple.

I disagree.

The issue of marriage is pretty hot nowadays, with the President of the US supportive of an
amendment to the Constitution restricting it to

legal rights available to non-gay couples, it is in my interest to see that the religious bigotry
that so often affects gay people is detached from the legal institutions that affect my life (and my
14th Amendment rights to "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness . . .).

Most state marriage laws fail a couple of tests used by the US Supreme court . . . the Lemon
test, and the Endorsement test.

The Lemon Test, from the 1971 US Supreme Court decision "Lemon vs Kurtzman," says that in order to
pass muster, government conduct (1) must have a secular purpose, (2) must have a principal or
primary effect that does not advance or inhibit religion, and (3) cannot foster an excessive
government entanglement with religion. The laws I cited above,

(11) may have a secular purpose, in that it makes it easier for folks to get married by increasing
the number of people authorized to perform marriages.

(12) advances religion, in that the only other class of people authorized to perform marriages are
religious officials. Atheist leaders are not similarly authorized. Agnostic leaders are not,
either, or leaders of Doubters, Skeptics, Perplexed, or leaders of other non-theistic frames of
mind. Theists have a much broader choice available to them than do non-theists. So, religious
folks resort to religious groups, while the non-religious are stuck with judges, who are
usually theists (and complete strangers), unsuitable to atheists.

(13) fosters an excessive government entanglement with religion by making religious officials the
ONLY class of people, other than judges, authorized to sign government documents affecting a
couple's legal status. This action gives the clergy a "priveliged" status in society . . .
There is no reason why Preachers should be the only other people allowed to perform marriages.
In California, anyone can do it, and by gollly, the state hasn't fallen into the ocean yet! And
as I mentioned before, a state registered marriage counselor will have more expertise with
marriage, and there's no reason why they, or psychologists and psychiatrists, or even social
workers, shouldn't be authorized as well--they'd be better qualified.

There's a reason for everything, and I'm sure the reason why only preachers are allowed to perform
marriages outside of city hall, has less to do with expertise in marital relationships or what's
in the best interest of the couple, or even what the individual couple might want, and more to do
with enabling them to maintain their monopoly on religious marriage ceremonies.

So . . . most state's marriage laws fail the 2nd and 3rd prong of the the Lemon Test . . .

From http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/rel_liberty/establishment/topic.aspx?top
ic=public_displays --In addition to the Lemon test, the Supreme Court has also employed what is
known as the endorsement test, a test that emphasizes government neutrality toward religion. In
her concurring opinion in Lynch, Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who is widely regarded as the
Court's current leader in establishment-clause jurisprudence, introduced this second approach to
analyzing potential establishment-clause violations when she noted two ways in which government
can encounter trouble with the establishment clause: through excessive entanglement with
religious institutions and through government endorsement or disapproval of religion.
"Endorsement sends a message to non-adherents that they are outsiders, not full members of the
political community, and an accompanying message to adherents that they are insiders, favored
members of the political community," Justice O'Connor wrote. "Disapproval sends the opposite
message." ."

. . . so . . . when a state tells a non-religious or atheist couple that they can choose between a
preacher or a judge, they essentially tell them that they really don't have the same options as
religious people do, as they can't have another atheist (or Doubter or Skeptic or whatever)
perform a ceremony for them. It is unreasonable for the state to assume that an atheist has equal
options if most of the options available are completely at odds with his opinions on religion . .
. With fewer available options, atheists are not equal, but outsiders in the process. So, these
crazy marriage laws fail the Endorsement Test as well.

There's probably other ways marriage laws fail the Lemon and Endorsement Tests, these are just the
most obvious problems that I see . . . I sure an experienced lawyer could turn up additional
problems . . .

---------

Anyway, the current marriage laws stink because (1) they involve religion too much, and (2)
religious bigotry affects the process -- the religious prohibitions against gay relationships are
allowed to affect what is to every other instution (like business institutions) in society merely a
legal relationship. And it's high damn time for a change. If I was

gonna be a while before the religious bigots even let me file an application for a marriage license.
So, I guess things ain't gonna change . . . and this long-ass post is really all for nothing, eh?

--Tock

"Bob LeChevalier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> James L. Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Why don't we just get the government out of the marriage game altogether
and
> >replace it with the notion of "civil union." Such a civil union would
allow
> >two or more adult persons to declare they have chosen to live in a
communal
> >state and to share benefits and responsibilities. Such a union could be anything from the
> >"traditional" marriage of a man to a woman to two or
more

> >state once it is properly declared, and the union can be disolved with an appropriate
> >distribution of benefits and responsibilities.
>
> Even if it were agreed, turning this into law would be impossible.

Impossible? Gee, we managed to send men to the moon, and one of these days we'll probably send more
to Mars. So we can do all that, but not change a few laws? Huh . . .

> Every state in the union would have to amend a zillion laws and regulations, and sometimes their
> constitutions. The Feds would have to do the same. We'd probably have to rewrite some treaties,
> to account for mentions of how we treat foreigners who are married but who have not enacted a
> civil union.

Not really . . . marriage laws are pretty simple. In Colorado they let two people fill out a
marriage license and then the couple themselves can solemnize the relationship the same day, same
place, and walk out happily married. Seems to work pretty well there, don't see any reason why it
can't work everywhere else. And in California, once a couple has a marriage license, any person
can get a "Deputy Marriage Commissioner" (I think that's the official title) for $25 and they can
perform one marriage ceremony. Don't know of any constitutions that would have to be amended;
probably the only ones would be those that have recently added the prohibition against gay
marriage, and that could always be undone. Or just plain ignored. (lots of states have stuff in
their constitutions the USSC has struck down, like Texas' requirement for all public office
holders to beleive in God)

> Then every married couple would have to go through the new procedure to be civilly united, since
> all the stuff that formerly was based on marriage would be gone.

I don't know about that . . . they could grandfather all the old marriages, or just recognize
everything that they have marriage licenses for (they've always had to get a paper license, anyway)
. . . There are easy ways around stuff like that . . .

But anyway, if two people are going to form a bond they want recognized for legal purposes, there's
no getting around filing some sort of paperwork with the government. So I guess to that extent,
they've gotta be involved. But there's no reason why a marriage license needs to be solemnized any
more than a drivers license needs to be solemnized. If anyone disagrees, well, they can find a
clergyperson to solemnize either a marriage or drivers license with any sort of religious ritual
they want, and it should be of no concern to either me, you, the government, their creditors, or the
horse I rode in town on. On the other hand, it seems to me that debt collectors would be happy to
see gay marriages be legalized, because if one guy defaults on a debt, they can try to get $$$ out
of the other fellow. As things are now, they can't. In fact, I saw one situation where one guy of a
relationship was making lots of $$$, bought a fancy house in his name, then had the other guy (who
didn't make nearly as much $$$) load up as many credit cards as he could to the max for new carpet
and vacations and etc, then file for bankruptcy. Of course, the poorer guy qualified to have all the
debts discharged, but the collectors couldn't touch the other guy. And everyone lived happily ever
after, but the credit card companies, who were out around $40,000 because of the way the state
treats gay marriages. Ya, you'd think they'd be wanting gay marriage . ..

--Tock

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:29:04 GMT, Ward Stewart
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 02:48:38 GMT, James L. Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Why don't we just get the government out of the marriage game altogether and replace it with the
>>notion of "civil union." Such a civil union would allow two or more adult persons to declare they
>>have chosen to live in a communal state and to share benefits and responsibilities. Such a union
>>could be anything from the "traditional" marriage of a man to a woman to two or more

>>state once it is properly declared, and the union can be disolved with an appropriate distribution
>>of benefits and responsibilities.
>>

>>-- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft
>
>Not a problem for me -- Most of europe and Canada have a similar arrangement

That's a lie and you know it. Most of Europe and canada (and the rest of the world for that matter),
have marriage laws almost identical to those of the US. You're creepy, old man.

--

Juan wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:29:04 GMT, Ward Stewart <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 02:48:38 GMT, James L. Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Why don't we just get the government out of the marriage game altogether and replace it with the
>>>notion of "civil union." Such a civil union would allow two or more adult persons to declare they
>>>have chosen to live in a communal state and to share benefits and responsibilities. Such a union
>>>could be anything from the "traditional" marriage of a man to a woman to two or more

>>>state once it is properly declared, and the union can be disolved with an appropriate
>>>distribution of benefits and responsibilities.
>>>

>>>-- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft
>>
>>Not a problem for me -- Most of europe and Canada have a similar arrangement
>
> That's a lie and you know it. Most of Europe and canada (and the rest of the world for that
> matter), have marriage laws almost identical to those of the US.

permitted in Ontario and BC t the moment and the Quebec courts have ruled it is permissible in
that province but it has not yet been implemented. The federal government is moving - albeit
rather slowly -

equivalent to marriage in all but name.

<Insert Bill Taylor ranting about how The Netherlands is a country that makes money on **** and dope
and how nobody cares about "Eurotrash" and "shingle cutters" north of the border here>

<snip forged signature>

--
+==================== L. Michael Roberts ======================+ This represents my personal opinion
and NOT Company policy Goderich, Ont, Canada. To reply, post a request for my valid E-mail

+================================================================+

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:48:25 -0600, [email protected] wrote
(in article <[email protected]>):

> "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion . . ."

Isn't "marriage" as it is familiarly known (one man to one woman) itself a religious institution? As
I've intimated elsewhere in this thread (one of interest!) there are what I've dubbed "communal
responsibilities" such as providing for the well being of offspring, that could be tended to outside
of the notion of marriage. As far as I am concerned, if two or more adult persons wish to live in a
state of sharing benefits and responsibilites so be it. Why should I care whether or not such a
state was approved of or disapproved of by a one or more specific religions?

-- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft