Vredstein Fortezza Tri Comps

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mtoverton, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Mtoverton

    Mtoverton Guest

    I am considering runnning Vredsteins Fortezza Tri Comp tires
    this season on my road bike. I ran Michelins Iron Man tires
    last year and liked them but thought I'd try something
    different. I suspect that the Fortezza Tri Comps may have
    less rolling resistance than the Michelins and they max out
    at a psi about 25 lbs greater than the Michelins. A riding
    partner of mine claims that he has heard that I will only
    get 800 to 1000 miles out of the Vredsteins where as I have
    2000 on the Michelins (they are in need of replacement).
    Does anybody have any experience with the Vredstein Fortezza
    Tri Comps out there on the road? Michael O.

    Tags:

  2. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > replacement). Does anybody have any experience with the
    > Vredstein Fortezza Tri Comps out there on the road?
    > Michael O.

    http://www.roadbikereview.com/Tires-
    Clincher/Vredestein,Fortezza,TriComp/PRD_33192_2489crx.aspx

    "mtoverton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am considering runnning Vredsteins Fortezza Tri Comp
    > tires this season
    on
    > my road bike. I ran Michelins Iron Man tires last year
    > and liked them but thought I'd try something different.
    > I suspect that the Fortezza Tri Comps may have less
    > rolling resistance than the Michelins and they max out
    > at a psi about 25 lbs greater than the Michelins. A
    > riding partner of mine
    claims
    > that he has heard that I will only get 800 to 1000 miles
    > out of the Vredsteins where as I have 2000 on the
    > Michelins (they are in need of replacement). Does anybody
    > have any experience with the Vredstein Fortezza Tri Comps
    > out there on the road? Michael O.

  3. Jay Hill

    Jay Hill Guest

    mtoverton wrote:
    > they max out at a psi about 25 lbs greater than the
    > Michelins.

    I don't think you should consider this a factor. It's been
    pointed out repeatedly in this newsgroup that above about
    120 psi, rolling resistence doesn't decrease. Your comfort
    and bike handling just get worse.

  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "mtoverton" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > I suspect that the Fortezza Tri Comps may have less
    > rolling resistance than the Michelins and they max out at
    > a psi about 25 lbs greater than the Michelins. A riding
    > partner of mine claims that he has heard that I will only
    > get 800 to 1000 miles out of the Vredsteins where as I
    > have 2000 on the Michelins

    Unless you're doing a time trial on smooth roads, maxing out
    your pressure doesn't make sense. If you keep your tires at
    the max all the time, you may get only 1000 miles.

  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Here's my $0.02- I have used tricomps for the last 3
    years. I usually run them at about 125 psi and typically
    get 2000 - 2500 miles out of them. They were originally
    made in Holland, but now production is somewhere in Asia
    as far as I know.

    mtoverton wrote:
    > I am considering runnning Vredsteins Fortezza Tri Comp
    > tires this season on my road bike. I ran Michelins Iron
    > Man tires last year and liked them but thought I'd try
    > something different. I suspect that the Fortezza Tri Comps
    > may have less rolling resistance than the Michelins and
    > they max out at a psi about 25 lbs greater than the
    > Michelins. A riding partner of mine claims that he has
    > heard that I will only get 800 to 1000 miles out of the
    > Vredsteins where as I have 2000 on the Michelins (they are
    > in need of replacement). Does anybody have any experience
    > with the Vredstein Fortezza Tri Comps out there on the
    > road? Michael O.

  6. Mark

    mtoverton wrote:
    > I am considering runnning Vredsteins Fortezza Tri Comp
    > tires this season on my road bike. I ran Michelins Iron
    > Man tires last year and liked them but thought I'd try
    > something different. I suspect that the Fortezza Tri Comps
    > may have less rolling resistance than the Michelins and
    > they max out at a psi about 25 lbs greater than the
    > Michelins. A riding partner of mine claims that he has
    > heard that I will only get 800 to 1000 miles out of the
    > Vredsteins where as I have 2000 on the Michelins (they are
    > in need of replacement). Does anybody have any experience
    > with the Vredstein Fortezza Tri Comps out there on the
    > road? Michael O.

  7. Mark

    mtoverton wrote:
    > I am considering runnning Vredsteins Fortezza Tri Comp
    > tires this season on my road bike. I ran Michelins Iron
    > Man tires last year and liked them but thought I'd try
    > something different. I suspect that the Fortezza Tri Comps
    > may have less rolling resistance than the Michelins and
    > they max out at a psi about 25 lbs greater than the
    > Michelins. A riding partner of mine claims that he has
    > heard that I will only get 800 to 1000 miles out of the
    > Vredsteins where as I have 2000 on the Michelins (they are
    > in need of replacement). Does anybody have any experience
    > with the Vredstein Fortezza Tri Comps out there on the
    > road? Michael O.

  8. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    I found them fairly heavy, hard to get on and off, and
    punctured easily and the rear wore out faster than other
    training tyres I've used I like the Veloflex (Pave)
    tyres better.

    Just my opinion

    Peter

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Here's my $0.02- I have used tricomps for the last 3
    > years. I usually run them at about 125 psi and typically
    > get 2000 - 2500 miles out of them. They were originally
    > made in Holland, but now production is somewhere in Asia
    > as far as I know.
    >
    > mtoverton wrote:
    > > I am considering runnning Vredsteins Fortezza Tri Comp
    > > tires this season
    on
    > > my road bike. I ran Michelins Iron Man tires last year
    > > and liked them
    but
    > > thought I'd try something different. I suspect that the
    > > Fortezza Tri
    Comps
    > > may have less rolling resistance than the Michelins and
    > > they max out at
    > > psi about 25 lbs greater than the Michelins. A riding
    > > partner of mine
    claims
    > > that he has heard that I will only get 800 to 1000 miles
    > > out of the Vredsteins where as I have 2000 on the
    > > Michelins (they are in need of replacement). Does
    > > anybody have any experience with the Vredstein
    Fortezza
    > > Tri Comps out there on the road? Michael O.

  9. K

    K Guest

    "mtoverton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am considering runnning Vredsteins Fortezza Tri Comp
    > tires this season
    on
    > my road bike. I ran Michelins Iron Man tires last year
    > and liked them but thought I'd try something different.
    > I suspect that the Fortezza Tri Comps may have less
    > rolling resistance than the Michelins and they max out
    > at a psi about 25 lbs greater than the Michelins. A
    > riding partner of mine
    claims
    > that he has heard that I will only get 800 to 1000 miles
    > out of the Vredsteins where as I have 2000 on the
    > Michelins (they are in need of replacement). Does anybody
    > have any experience with the Vredstein Fortezza Tri Comps
    > out there on the road? Michael O.

    I went the opposite direction from you. I rode Tricomps for
    years and loved the ride> But got I tired of the threads
    always unraveling from the sidewall bead. This was a real
    problem in Seattle where they got wet all the time. I like
    the Michelin ProRace or Ironman tires just as much and don't
    have this problem. Also, I've heard the Tricomps changed
    since production started in Asia.

    Kendall

  10. Mtoverton

    Mtoverton Guest

    Yeah the Asian production aspect of Vreds has me a bit concerned about
    quality control. I don't have any issues with the Ironmans, just thought I
    might try something different. I'll probably stick with what I know works
    well after the feedback from this group. Too many comments on troubles with
    the sidewalls on the Tricomps, from bubbles to plain old cosmetic issues.
    mto