Watt wins Games spot

Bleve wrote:

> How about the women though? Where'd Mactier learn to sprint, and who
> *didn't* teach her how to throw? Have you see this photo :
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/jan06/bayseries06/index.php?id=bayseries062/14
>
> If Mactier had thrown the bike it wouldn't have been a dead heat!

Or if Wood waited till she won before taking her hands off. I thought
from the TV coverage she had eased up too soon and you can see her hands
in that photo well above the bars.

DaveB

DaveB wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
> >
> > How about the women though? Where'd Mactier learn to sprint, and who
> > *didn't* teach her how to throw? Have you see this photo :
> >
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/jan06/bayseries06/index.php?id=bayseries062/14
> >
> > If Mactier had thrown the bike it wouldn't have been a dead heat!

> Or if Wood waited till she won before taking her hands off. I thought
> from the TV coverage she had eased up too soon and you can see her hands
> in that photo well above the bars.

Of course, but Oenone made a classic sprinters mistake (celebrate too
early) - see this :

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/mar04/msr04/index.php?id=FREIRESANREMO-0173

Mactier didn't throw the bike, which is a different thing!

Bleve said:
DaveB wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
> >
> > How about the women though? Where'd Mactier learn to sprint, and who
> > *didn't* teach her how to throw? Have you see this photo :
> >
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/jan06/bayseries06/index.php?id=bayseries062/14
> >
> > If Mactier had thrown the bike it wouldn't have been a dead heat!

> Or if Wood waited till she won before taking her hands off. I thought
> from the TV coverage she had eased up too soon and you can see her hands
> in that photo well above the bars.

Of course, but Oenone made a classic sprinters mistake (celebrate too
early) - see this :

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/mar04/msr04/index.php?id=FREIRESANREMO-0173

Mactier didn't throw the bike, which is a different thing!
ummm... "throw the bike"? What does this mean?

ali, curious, but thinking it doesn't mean *throwing* the bike?

Bleve said:
rooman wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:

> Now, who do you reckon is up for the Aust. Men's Road Jersey this
> year?
>
> Will the young guns take on the old masters and herald a new
> era?...Hilton Clarke Jr. reckons he is up for it, and Will Walker wants
> a go, I spoke to Mathew Wilson this week, he is going to try and get
> Cookie up there( 'cos he's miffed he missed the Crits jersey last
> friday at Geelong), and McEwen will probably have it all alone and with
> limited helpers may find it very hard to get another Aust Champion's
> jersey in 06...it's going to be a good one ...woohoo

McEwen usually is on his own at the end anyway. If I was the betting
type, I'd have my money on McEwen, but I'd want good odds. Walker's
not smart enough yet to pick the right time to go, IMO, he may tow a
sprinter out though and get a place for his troubles. Deja Vu? :)

Cooke won't win it, he's had nothing since 2003 and still doesn't.
*something* changed in 2004 and since then he's had no form and only
looked promising once at the Giro in 2005. Not impressive at the Bay
Crits either - I saw him race the Bay crits bot garden course 2 years
ago and win it by a mile with a huge sprint up the hill, but nothing
like that sort of form this year. Richie England's a good rider by all
accounts, but how'd he get away from Cooke? Richard has one race
tactic, and a switched on sprinter would know what it was. Hilton
didn't win a crit, he's not got the sprint to beat world-class riders
for a win, unless a very select breakaway gets away. Maybe Allan Davis
though? Hilton's quoted as saying :

"Personally, I've always come here giving everything, and I've never
rode well at the Road Nationals. I'm really looking to change that. I
have been training a lot differently this year, not doing so much
sprinting and trying to work on my endurance to try to get round the
road course, but it might take me a few more years to get round those
sort of circuits."

BTW, roo, remember a while back you claimed that McEwen wasn't riding
Ridley's, that they were rebadged somethings because the Ridley's were
junk? I had a pretty good look at McEwen's bike at the Bay crits, and
if it was a rebadge of something else, that something else was -very-
similar to a Ridley Damaged, and not just the paint job. Maybe he
(McEwen) uses the Ridley for crits but not GTs?

How about the women though? Where'd Mactier learn to sprint, and who
*didn't* teach her how to throw? Have you see this photo :

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/jan06/bayseries06/index.php?id=bayseries062/14

If Mactier had thrown the bike it wouldn't have been a dead heat!
I reckon Oenone will win it, she's got to be plenty fired up after a
pretty poor showing in the Bay Crits, and she'll have learnt the lesson
about celebrating too early! Dark horse has to be Watt escaping at
1km, and staying away :) It won't be the first time, and if she can
gap the rest they won't catch her. Not even working together. None of
the rest have a big enough motor.
Yeah, I think Will might do the job for McEwen ( again) , they seem to have an understanding, and did do a lot of talking behind the scenes at Geelong in the Bot. Gardens....before , and after the race!.

Cookie has a head cloud, and its been there for a while as you say , these days his head just doesnt get him through races and across the line first....feedback after the Crit Championship race is he underestimated England, thought he could do it and forgot to keep him close on the last corner, left too much gap and couldnt bring it back...( means that his head ain't functioning when it matters)- and by the way...he really did want to win that particular race, but forgot to tell England that, obviously!)

I was in the pits on Friday night with McEwen, (doing some wrenching for Volvo T5), and briefly reviewed the crit frame...he wouldnt confirm it, but had a smirky smile on the concept that it is not the same as the GC frame used in 05, which was stated by some one very close to Robbie is an EddyM manufactured Ridley clone to RM's angles and dimensions for longer rides...The Crit frame certainly looks to all intents and purposes as a Ridley , a little steeper and whippier, but in some aspects ( tube profiles, angles, finish)it was different to his new D-Lotto teammate in 06, Nick Sanderson, whose Ridley is a straight factory offering for him as the NeoPro.....Seems RM would ride his 04 bike all over again if need be...In fact it, ( an EddyM mXm) was around on Sunday , although sold to some one else and primarily there for photo opportunity with the buyer on the day....its all a show anyway...what is a badge but something for a commercial purpose....that's the bottom line, something very much at the forefront of Robbie's thinking....as long as the equipment is what he needs, they can put anyone's badge on it.

Both the road races will be a hoot. We are in for some fun and games.

alison_b wrote:

> ummm... "throw the bike"? What does this mean?
>
> ali, curious, but thinking it doesn't mean *throwing* the bike?

It's a trick used to (temporarily!) push the bike forwards at the
expense of road speed. If you push your body back fast, conservation
of momenutum will "push" the bike forwards to keep your CoG in the same
place. As such, you can "throw" the bike forward a few inches or so.
It's often the difference between 1st and 2nd in a sprint finish.

You can try it on your bike, ride along, and suddenly push your body
back over the seat (or push the bars forward, same thing) and watch
what happens. Here's a series of photos to illustrate :

http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20051129-sandown/DSCF5884.html
http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20051129-sandown/DSCF5885.html
http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20051129-sandown/DSCF5886.html

You can see how Mick has pushed his body back off the bike, thus
"throwing" the bike forwards - as it's the front wheel that counts,
it's worth doing. Timings critical, when you throw, you lose speed,
throw too early and you slow down before crossing the line, throw too
late, and you achieve nothing.

On 2006-01-12, alison_b (aka Bruce)

> Bleve Wrote:
>> Mactier didn't throw the bike, which is a different thing!

> ummm... "throw the bike"? What does this mean?
>
> ali, curious, but thinking it doesn't mean *throwing* the bike?

Where has that video gone?

"Oh, he's got his wheel".

--
TimC
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

flyingdutch said:
yeah, but the (some)women seem to be able to cross over better?
what's with that? some miracle of physiology or what?

Sarah Carrigan got 2nd (by one second) in the road race and Kathy Watt 8th. Living proof of FD's observation of female phsyiological superiority :p No miracles in that one dude, just plain hard work! :D

warrwych wrote:
> flyingdutch Wrote:
> > yeah, but the (some)women seem to be able to cross over better?
> > what's with that? some miracle of physiology or what?

> Sarah Carrigan got 2nd (by one second) in the road race and Kathy Watt
> 8th. Living proof of FD's observation of female phsyiological
> superiority :p No miracles in that one dude, just plain hard work! :D

Winning speed over 97.5km - 35.08km/h. Draw your own conclusions!