We have a Federal Election Tomorrow

Maybe they'll be able to help the plight of the working man by reducing the sales tax on beer, ciggies and anything you can burn on a BBQ.

mikesbytes said:
Maybe they'll be able to help the plight of the working man by reducing the sales tax on beer, ciggies and anything you can burn on a BBQ.
Drink more beer, smoke more ciggies and don't do any exercise... Early death.

Guess what? All the problems associated with the aging population magically solved! :cool:

Scotttri said:
Totally agree. See the more unions push for in wages the less likely companies will make a profit and they'll start closeing down. Alot of people think these big companies are makeing billions in profit, this isn't always the case.
it's not so much they close down, though certainly in the small business enironment it does happen, but more frequently they either re-engineer business processes to do away with particular jobs or they off shore them. this is the point people like janine entirely miss:

the unions don't care one iota about the sustainability of businesses by their actions.

in a real world example, i consult from time to time to a company that is owned by a single person. it has about 100 staff and of this around 30 are in a help desk. right now the company looks after the employees quite well, and generally the owners priorities are ensuring staff are well treated and maintaining a good work environment, employing people and creating jobs and ensuring the business is sustainable. after all this he looks after himself, and does so pretty modestly. ultimately he'd earn significantly more if he simply went and worked for someone else as opposed to working for himself.

right now the business is on the knifes edge. if generates a small annual profit, but month to month swings between small losses and small profits.

the help-desk staff work a 7 day week at well above industry average wages, and in return don't take penalty rates for hours outside of mon-fri 9-5.

if a union was to demand that penalty rates begin applying there would be two options. a) reduce the size of the staff b) off shore the entire help-desk operation.

the owner doesn't want to consider b) however in the long term a) is probably not workable either. so if that decision has to be made, there is 30 jobs shipped straight out of Australia. Is that a good result for anyone?

the problem with ultra pro-union people is either they haven't actually been out in the work force very long and don't have much life experience to draw from, or they have bene completely cocooned in a union dominated enviroment for so long they don't understand the bigger picture at all.

sogood i think we have probably quite similar positions. i'm pretty much right in the middle of the political spectrum. i think many tradional labour voters may be disappointed by how far right the rudd government might actually be.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
sogood i think we have probably quite similar positions. i'm pretty much right in the middle of the political spectrum. i think many tradional labour voters may be disappointed by how far right the rudd government might actually be.
As seen around the world, by going a bit closer to the middle and closer to your opponent's side, you can't lose in the electorates. It's only when you go to the extremes, that's when you get booted out of the office. I think Rudd knows this and by hand pick the ministers, he has removed the contstraints of those faction ideologues. We'll see how it works out.

janiejones said:
nothing wrong with our schools and universities you say - you either finished uni years ago (under Labor), or are too freakin dopey to realise, maybe mummy and daddy paid your rising fees - do you work in a university - they have gone so far down hill in the last ten years.

You have no idea.
Finished School, in 2000 and know mummy and daddy didn't pay for it, I went to a public school, and it provided me with everything a private school could and more!!!!

janiejones said:
here a song for you::D :D :D :D :D :D

There is power in a factory, power in the land
Power in the hand of the worker
But it all amounts to nothing if together we don't stand
There is power in a Union

Now the lessons of the past were all learned with workers blood
The mistakes of the bosses we must pay for
From the cities and the farmlands to trenches full of mud
War has always been the bosses way, sir

The Union forever,defending our rights
Down with the blackleg,all workers unite
With our brothers and our sisters from many far-off lands

Now I long for the morning that they realise
Brutality and unjust laws cannot defeat us
But who'll defend the workers who cannot organise
When the bosses send their lackeys out to cheat us?

Money speaks for money,the Devil for his own
Who comes to speak for the skin and the bone?
What a comfort for the widow,a light to the child

The Union forever,defending our rights
Down with the blackleg,all workers unite
With our brothers and our sisters together we will stand
The union hmmm, bunch of wankers createing issues with little or know results just to justify there existence. Well I happen to know just how good unions are, they did f#*k all for any of my friends when they lost there jobs......hmmm funny thing is they lost there jobs due to 3 union strikes in 3 months which they attended, 3 strikes your out!!!! Did the unions help to save there jobs hell no!!! The end result for the employees who didn't lose there job a 3% pay rise, they were earning approx $45000 a year, 3% equates to $1350, the 2 and a half weeks of lost wages due to strike adds up to $2163. So the union peer pressured them to strike ( and yes it is peer pressure i'll get to that as well) for a reward of risk of loseing job and a net loss of $813 for the year not to mention the fees they were paying the union.

Now this is how stupid some people are in this land of ours! late last year a minesite ( in construction stage ) I was working on's union called a strike against awa's. Now myself not chooseing to be appart of the union went to go about my work by going to breakfast at the meal area first. Upon entering this meal area I was abbused spat at and even swung at by drunken members of a union for being in work clothes with the attention to go to work. What cracks me up about these idiots is there willing to have a go at me and my colleagues but who the F#*k do they think cooked them breakfast, thatsright someone else chooseing to work over strike, did they cop abuse no!!! Who got the last laugh me!! in the morning when they turned up to work with a written warning and wern't paid for there day of strike.

And if your unions are so good why is it that the mineing sector of the country voted so strongly against them, when unions have been heavily invovled with mineing for so long????

sogood said:
As seen around the world, by going a bit closer to the middle and closer to your opponent's side, you can't lose in the electorates. It's only when you go to the extremes, that's when you get booted out of the office. I think Rudd knows this and by hand pick the ministers, he has removed the contstraints of those faction ideologues. We'll see how it works out.
I'm a liberal voter through and through, I think John Howard did an amazeing job leading this country. Now that era is over and I am somewhat dissapointed, I am far from a rudd fan, however he is the countries leader ( well until his deputy takes over.....hopefully sooner then later ) hopefully he realises the great position Australia is in thanx to the Howard government and fine tunes rather than massive change!!

Scotttri said:
Finished School, in 2000 and know mummy and daddy didn't pay for it, I went to a public school, and it provided me with everything a private school could and more!!!!
Huh? :confused: