Wear Your Helmet

Helmets get my vote too. Last year I cracked one open on a car windshield (last March in a Blizzard)
and I was glad it was the Helmet hitting the car and NOT something it took me 51 years to grow.
----------------------
"Hairyone" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> there is nothing wrong with free choice. The only people who should wear a helmet are those who
> feel that they have something worth protecting. IMHO Those who don't wear them are showing that
> they have nothing very
important
> there to protect anyway. I would never ride a foot without my helmet. A helmet saved me once. If
> others dont, thats their right. I just hope that I dont happen along and be the first one to find
> them after bad head first fall . Harry VR40
>
> [email protected] (Von) wrote:
> >"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >> Beth:
> >>
> >> I've been thinking about getting a pair of lederhosen and calling them
> my
> >> "cycling leathers." Maybe it'll catch on.
> >>
> >> Seriously though, a bike helmet probably would *not* save your life in
> an
> >> otherwise fatal accident, but there isn't much doubt that it reduces
the
> >> severity of cosmetic injuries and other traumas. I went down on a
moped
> >> sans helmet, and spent the next six weeks telling people why my head
was
> >> bandaged. A few years later I went down on a motorcycle at 65 mph
wearing
> >> helmet, leathers and gloves and just had a painful impact injury to my
> knee,
> >> but virtually no other visible sign of the accident. No road burn,
other
> >> than a small patch on my elbow where the leather was torn. (The helmet
> was
> >> a little more substantial than a cycling helmet, though. But the same controversy exists in the
> >> motorcycle community.)
> >>
> >> No, I'm not in favor of a mandatory helmet law. Maybe mandatory
lederhosen,
> >> though.
> >>
> >> --
> >> --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

> The
> >> have

> have
> >> >

> >After more than a decade of 5,000+ km. per year and no accidents,Why wear a helment? I started to
> >question myself on helmet wear. Than one day riding on a bike path i went over the bars (DF) and
> >cracked the helmet in two places. Result one seperated shoulder no concussion and a very scared 7
> >yr. old grandauther(Riding her own bike).I know without a doubt I escaped serious injury. Also my
> >sweetheart was scared enough, What if grandpa was laying there unconscious.I always wear a
> >helmet,should you wear one? that's up to you,Free choice is what it's all about!
>
> Harry VR40/oss

Does anyone wear a kilt while riding their lowracer? I would think that being regimental would be a
breach of ettiquette.

We might also need a leather kilt to help with the road rash.

Frodo22222 wrote:

> Does anyone wear a kilt while riding their lowracer? I would think that being regimental would be
> a breach of ettiquette.
>
> We might also need a leather kilt to help with the road rash.

Prof. Patterson,

This is definitely a case where a full fairing would be in order, as a courtesy to the general
public. :)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer

> crispy wrote:
> >
> > Spare the cows. Ride a trike instead.
>
> Preferably one with a seat pad cover made from a natural vegetable fiber such as industrial hemp.

ooooh, rope burn.. owie.

I initially laughed when I saw this..do you wear a Kilt question...BUT if you look in the Excel
Cyclist catalogue you'll see some Tartan Kilts designed for DF cyclists. The concept is quite good
too, when your racing Lycra gets all damp from sweat and you want to er "air out the equipment", you
don a Kilt and (then) remove your shorts (discretely) leaving only the Kilt worn in true Scottish
style (no Horse Hair Sporran involved)...maybe hang a toolkit to cover your equipment and keep the
wind from lifting your Kilt.

As for riding with a Kilt (on a Low Racer)....it would be fine (provided) you wore Boxers beneath.
Riding without knickers on would make you extremely popular for all the wrong reasons.
-----------

BethF wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > crispy wrote:
> > >
> > > Spare the cows. Ride a trike instead.
> >
> > Preferably one with a seat pad cover made from a natural vegetable fiber such as
> > industrial hemp.
>
> ooooh, rope burn.. owie.

Beth et al,

Actually, the Earth Cycles seat pad covers are no rougher to the touch than the type of denim
commonly used for clothing. They are nothing at all like manila ropes in texture.

BethF wrote:
> ... but i don't have a low racer....

Beth,

Please accept my condolences.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer

My Sister in Law who lives in the Minneapolis St Paul area was found on a bike trail a few months
ago, by a passerby, about 15 minutes from death. She had fallen off her bike, hit here head, and
lost a great deal of blood.

At the hospital they had to do emergency brain surgery to relieve the pressure on her brain, or she
would have died. She was in the hospital several weeks. She cannot remember even getting on the
bike or how the accident happened. She lost about 3 months of work, her medical bills are a small
fortune. They tested her IQ and apparently she has lost about 20% on an IQ test, compared to what
they think she would have scored ( she is a very bright person, or was ) . She tells me that very
often she can't remember a name or face, or loses her place in a conversation. When I talk to her
on the phone, this is apparent. Her biggest worry when she got back to work, is that she would be
fired, due to her "thinking" and reasoning problems, which she never had prior to the accident.

Oh, I forgot to mention, they could find no helmet at the accident scene.

Bob

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:56:11 GMT, Derek Swift <[email protected]> wrote:

>As we rode away, someone said "I am glad we have helmets." I could not agree more.

And there was I thinking you were riding a 'bent, where a helmet is of significantly less
value. Ah well.

I propose that in recognition of the quality and rigour of the research supporting their use we
rename helmets "polystyrene foam deflector beanies.

And I always wear one, but am under absolutley no illusion as to their effectiveness at speeds in
excess of "trundle," or in accidents involving motor vehicles.

Other than that, I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier reply:
<http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/mini-faq-helmets>

Oh, and of the four head injuries I've had one was caused by a bike crash without a lid, one by a
bike crash with a lid, one by a child's playground toy and one by a low doorway.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:17:04 -0500, "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've been thinking about getting a pair of lederhosen and calling them my "cycling leathers." Maybe
>it'll catch on.

There was a brief trend to call bibshorts "lycrahosen" which amused me
:)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:54:48 -0000, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

>A lot of the racers are wearing elbow pads or guards these days.

Sounds sensible. I planted the Stinger on Thursday riding to work in conditions which had the cagers
reduced to walking pace and crashing left right and centre. I put a hand down and stepped off as the
bike went down, but it ocurred to me that come Warmrain (formerly Summer) I could use some elbow
protection in case of emergencies.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Actually I have absolutely no objections to riding w/o a helmet when the occasion requires it, such
as in an emergency. (Not necessarily a life-and-death emergency either. Just a situation where I
need transportation and have no other choice.) Anyway, as I noted above I always land an my ass
anyway, so I may be putting the helmet on the wrong end.

--
--Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

"Hairyone" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> there is nothing wrong with free choice. The only people who should wear a helmet are those who
> feel that they have something worth protecting. IMHO Those who don't wear them are showing that
> they have nothing very
important
> there to protect anyway. I would never ride a foot without my helmet. A helmet saved me once. If
> others dont, thats their right. I just hope that I dont happen along and be the first one to find
> them after bad head first fall . Harry VR40
>
> [email protected] (Von) wrote:
> >"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >> Beth:
> >>
> >> I've been thinking about getting a pair of lederhosen and calling them
> my
> >> "cycling leathers." Maybe it'll catch on.
> >>
> >> Seriously though, a bike helmet probably would *not* save your life in
> an
> >> otherwise fatal accident, but there isn't much doubt that it reduces
the
> >> severity of cosmetic injuries and other traumas. I went down on a
moped
> >> sans helmet, and spent the next six weeks telling people why my head
was
> >> bandaged. A few years later I went down on a motorcycle at 65 mph
wearing
> >> helmet, leathers and gloves and just had a painful impact injury to my
> knee,
> >> but virtually no other visible sign of the accident. No road burn,
other
> >> than a small patch on my elbow where the leather was torn. (The helmet
> was
> >> a little more substantial than a cycling helmet, though. But the same controversy exists in the
> >> motorcycle community.)
> >>
> >> No, I'm not in favor of a mandatory helmet law. Maybe mandatory
lederhosen,
> >> though.
> >>
> >> --
> >> --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

> The
> >> have

> have
> >> >

> >After more than a decade of 5,000+ km. per year and no accidents,Why wear a helment? I started to
> >question myself on helmet wear. Than one day riding on a bike path i went over the bars (DF) and
> >cracked the helmet in two places. Result one seperated shoulder no concussion and a very scared 7
> >yr. old grandauther(Riding her own bike).I know without a doubt I escaped serious injury. Also my
> >sweetheart was scared enough, What if grandpa was laying there unconscious.I always wear a
> >helmet,should you wear one? that's up to you,Free choice is what it's all about!
>
> Harry VR40/oss

Guy:

Butt protection is what I'm about. I *always* land on my ass. Broke my tailbone once. Still
bothers me.

--
--Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:54:48 -0000, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >A lot of the racers are wearing elbow pads or guards these days.
>
> Sounds sensible. I planted the Stinger on Thursday riding to work in conditions which had the
> cagers reduced to walking pace and crashing left right and centre. I put a hand down and stepped
> off as the bike went down, but it ocurred to me that come Warmrain (formerly Summer) I could use
> some elbow protection in case of emergencies.
>
> Guy
> ===
> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
> dynamic DNS permitting)
> NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
> work. Apologies.

Beth:

Shoot. I clicked on that link so fast I almost broke a finger, only to discover it was a
catalog page. :-(

--

Freewheeling wrote:

> Guy:
>
> Butt protection is what I'm about. I *always* land on my ass. Broke my tailbone once. Still
> bothers me.

Scott,

That is due to riding a recumbent with a relatively high seat. Landing on one's tailbone is almost
impossible on a lowracer, as there will be too little time between the loss of balance and hitting
the ground for the rider to rotate enough to impact anywhere besides his or her hip (and elbow). I
am considering the purchase of some of these hip pads as protection. [1]

[1] < http://www.corerat.com/products/products.html >

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer

RE/
>And I always wear one, but am under absolutley no illusion as to their effectiveness at speeds in
>excess of "trundle," or in accidents involving motor vehicles.

I think it's more impact speed than how fast somebody's going.

Long time ago, a drunk took me out on my motorbike.

I was running about 50-55 and he clipped me as he changed lanes.

The bike went down hard and I did a sort of swan dive into the asphalt. Can't remember precisely how
it went down but I chipped some front teeth and cracked a perfectly good Bell full-coverage helmet.
Saw flashes of light for a few days, but the abrasions didn't get infected and I the kind souls that
took care of me for the next couple days initiated me into some little aspirin-sized tablets called
2-2-and-2 that the Canadians have: 2 mg of caffiene, 2 mg of asprin, and 2 mg of codine .... great
stuff while the road rash is scabbing over - really takes the edge off of it...

But, to return to the point, my luck was that I didn't impact anything solid...in spite of my speed
at the time of the crash.
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

I always do, because a sucking head wound is a terrible thing to contemplate.

Did something very similar in the cark park under the office a few years back, on a stout steel
pipe. 'twas a *good* thing I'd ridden an upright to work that day as, had I been recumbent, I'd have
left the lid in the tailbox rather than carry it upstairs.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Actually I have absolutely no objections to riding w/o a helmet when the occasion requires it,
> such as in an emergency. (Not necessarily a life-and-death emergency either. Just a situation
> where I need transportation and have no other choice.) Anyway, as I noted above I
always
> land an my ass anyway, so I may be putting the helmet on the wrong end.

You could always grow some natural ass padding.