Weight-Lifting for Legs

Serious Chris said:
Well said and a VERY informative post :)

What School do you go to, Denver Elementary.
Here's some myth busting: Weight training is not body building, even though body building is a form of weight training. One does not have to become a neck-less, muscle-head who spends 6 hours a day in the gym in order to strength train effectively for health, or even looks. The fact is there is no harm, only good, in being strong as well as healthy on a cardiovascular level.

Straw man. No one is suggesting body building. Only one person is suggesting that bigger muscles are better muscles for cycling.

The claim that strength training does nothing to help cycling is a generalized and ignorant statement, usually said by people who have never successfully or correctly strength-trained with weights.

Been developing strength and conditioning programmes for over 13 years for a variety of sports and events within those sports. Andy weight trains in the off season although not for cycling reasons.

On the other hand, body building will make you heavier and slower, so you need to figure out the ratio of lifting/cardio you want for what you're after.

Straw man, no one is disputing this.
Creating a core of healthy muscle will help your posture and prevent injuries from real world lifting and activity.

Like Frank Day and pedalling I defy you to be able to point out which riders in a peloton do and don't do weight training.

It will also help your metabolism stay up, as muscle is more metabolic than fat.

Straw man, no one is disputing this.

Realize also that long sessions of cardiovascular exercise do cannibalize a degree of muscle, even if your diet is very specific to help prevent this.

Evidence please? A recent study of the 6 day Tour of Southland showed a group of 5 riders all gained weight over the tour.

Strength training will further help rebuild and maintain muscle mass if you do lots of cardio.

Cardio? We call it bike riding, it's what we do. If it has cardio benefits well good for us. First you had better prove how bike riding cannibalises muscle. Sounds like the sort of thing a meathead personal trainer would tell you while trying to sign you up to a 3 month gym programme.

If you want another real world example of how lifting effects cycling:

Yesterday I rode to the gym (7 miles; it's the gym at my school) and did upper/lower back and legs; dead-lifts and squats were some of the exercises performed; then I rode home with no ill benefits. Today I have DOMS and still did a strong 30 miles on the bike, affected very little by said DOMS.

Seriously Chris, what does that tell you?

acoggan said:
Generalized, perhaps (at least the way you - but, quite notably, not I, nor ferfie, nor Ric Stern, etc. - ever put it), but ignorant, not in the least. Instead, you will find that the people taking this position are typically the most highly-informed re. how the body responds to various forms of training, and hence possess a greater level of insight than those who are less well-educated in this area.

Fair enough; there are LOTs of variables here so I'll read more works on studies that are for the other side of the point.

Felt_Rider said:
It would be more impressive if you stated sets, reps and weight of each lift and also stated your power output data on your "strong" 30 mile ride. What is a "strong" ride in your definition.

It would also be nice if you can express how your combined training is or has gained you any titles in cycling or lifting.

Nice attempt at trolling me.

Chapeau! said:
Your not getting my name or results... Your getting the names & results of the riders who have reached legendary status by complementing there programs with strength training.

LOL, you're making this whole thread more of a clusterfcuk post by post.

How are you getting these names and their results, huh ??? Are you physically training with these pros yourself, and seeing the results ?

What if it's just a PR stunt for Armstrong to put out a YouTube video of him lifting. What if it's just to throw off any competition. You ever think about that ? Do you really think any legit high ranking pro will tell the world what their training secrets are ?

You're so ignorant it's hilarious. And to think you probably don't even own a bike, just some rusty ol' dumbells in the basement. :D

Serious Chris said:
Nice attempt at trolling me.

Thanks, I have been trying to improve my trolling techniques.

Actually I have been lifting for over 27 years so I am curious as to the finer details of what you listed. It certainly appears to be different than most of the strength athletes I have been around and it is not a routine that I would follow, but then again I have seen a lot people train with weights in various ways and be successful so I am not going to criticize you. I am just trying to get to the finer details.

With weights it sets, reps and weight. With cycling a way to let us know is with power measurement. That gives us a better definition of what a "strong" ride means. I am trolling you to find out more of who you are and what credentials you have in your training and consulting resume.

acoggan said:
Generalized, perhaps (at least the way you - but, quite notably, not I, nor ferfie, nor Ric Stern, etc. - ever put it), but ignorant, not in the least. Instead, you will find that the people taking this position are typically the most highly-informed re. how the body responds to various forms of training, and hence possess a greater level of insight than those who are less well-educated in this area.

Ferfie...

... is that Fergie with cutesy bunny ears?

What... no mention of weights?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shr-ZmApWCI]YouTube - Chris Boardman on the Science behind the hour record[/ame]

Felt_Rider said:
Thanks, I have been trying to improve my trolling techniques.

Actually I have been lifting for over 27 years so I am curious as to the finer details of what you listed. It certainly appears to be different than most of the strength athletes I have been around and it is not a routine that I would follow, but then again I have seen a lot people train with weights in various ways and be successful so I am not going to criticize you. I am just trying to get to the finer details.

With weights it sets, reps and weight. With cycling a way to let us know is with power measurement. That gives us a better definition of what a "strong" ride means. I am trolling you to find out more of who you are and what credentials you have in your training and consulting resume.

Point taken, and my apologies; It can be difficult to tell.

My lifting stats from yesterday are unimpressive to say the least. For a few years I have worked out at home with extremely modest equipment and this is my first week back in a real gym.

Pullups 6 sets of 6
Bent-over bar rows 5 sets of 6 with 90 lbs
Squats/Deadlifts 6 sets of 6 with 150 lbs

By strong ride I mean the route I do several times a week was accomplished faster than normal, and in higher gears than usual with just as high a cadence. I can't give you power measurements since I have no computer on my bike.

I'm really just a regular guy that started studying nutrition and exercise when I was a fat ass 18 year old. As far as credentials and my resume; this is my lifestyle, not my career so my credentials and resume are my health.

Serious Chris said:
I'm really just a regular guy that started studying nutrition and exercise when I was a fat ass 18 year old. As far as credentials and my resume; this is my lifestyle, not my career so my credentials and resume are my health.

So where do you get off telling coaches and exercise physiologists that they are ignorant of weight training and making claims for benefits and not providing any evidence to support them.

Seriously Chris is one strong ride the basis of your claims? I tried a new pair of lucky red socks today and did a PB ride. Was it the socks, the first hot day of spring or am I the next elite Kiwi cyclist to get done for EPO:D

fergie said:
So where do you get off telling coaches and exercise physiologists that they are ignorant of weight training and making claims for benefits and not providing any evidence to support them.

Seriously Chris is one strong ride the basis of your claims? I tried a new pair of lucky red socks today and did a PB ride. Was it the socks, the first hot day of spring or am I the next elite Kiwi cyclist to get done for EPO:D

You'd have to actually ride a bike to be considered a cyclist, fergie.

fergie said:
So where do you get off telling coaches and exercise physiologists that they are ignorant of weight training and making claims for benefits and not providing any evidence to support them

I suggest you put more points toward Intelligence next time; and Charisma. I'll quote myself since trolling is more important to you than reading comprehension. "usually said by people who have never successfully or correctly strength-trained with weights."

fergie said:

It was to say DOMS did not hinder my ride. It seems you don't actually read the posts you troll.

Serious Chris said:
I suggest you put more points toward Intelligence next time; and Charisma. I'll quote myself since trolling is more important to you than reading comprehension. "usually said by people who have never successfully or correctly strength-trained with weights."

It was to say DOMS did not hinder my ride. It seems you don't actually read the posts you troll.

Love it how someone who is here for 5 mins and calls me a troll:rolleyes:

And why do you think DOMS didn't hinder your ride?

Serious Chris said:
No, he only talked about aerodynamics in frame design and a "deep understanding of training physiology."
He didn't mention pedaling so he must not have done that either.

I guess comprehension isn't up there as one of your skills either...

He talked about frame design and aerodynamics, body position and aerodynamics, evironmental conditions and training physiology... since we're being so pedantic.

But if you'd actually taken some time to figure out what his trainers (Peter Keen - who just happened to be the original brains of the all dominating British Cycling track team) approach was to events even as short as the 4km pursuit was, then you'd understand that weights had no part of that program. Chris actually spent most of the winter prior to his first hour record on a mountain bike going spuds out trying to keep up with his team mates on road bikes... Fancy stuff aye, an Olympic champion going from the Lotus bike to a mountain bike with knobblies on in the lashing rain of the Wirral. But it got in the volume of quality training that was required for the prep. That the first few of those rides required someone going out and picking Chris up in a car because he was smashed ended up being inconsequential - but it does highlight the amount of work that was required.

fergie said:
Love it how someone who is here for 5 mins and calls me a troll:rolleyes:
You don't really hide it very well.

swampy1970 said:
...But if you'd actually taken some time to figure out what his trainers (Peter Keen - who just happened to be the original brains of the all dominating British Cycling track team) approach was to events even as short as the 4km pursuit was, then you'd understand that weights had no part of that program. Chris actually spent most of the winter prior to his first hour record on a mountain bike going spuds out trying to keep up with his team mates on road bikes... Fancy stuff aye, an Olympic champion going from the Lotus bike to a mountain bike with knobblies on in the lashing rain of the Wirral. But it got in the volume of quality training that was required for the prep. That the first few of those rides required someone going out and picking Chris up in a car because he was smashed ended up being inconsequential - but it does highlight the amount of work that was required.
You're so right! I totally should have gotten all of that from the video you linked; that had none of that information within.

Serious Chris said:
You're so right! I totally should have gotten all of that from the video you linked; that had none of that information within.

So you should be thanking Swampy for filling in the gaps of your sadly lacking knowledge.

fergie said:

Seriously Chris is one strong ride the basis of your claims?

The sum of the matter. Thank you, Ferg.

This is an internet forum afterall - since when has evidence or proof been a prerequisite for making any claim??:D He/she (not sure which) did it, made the statement anonomously on an internet forum, so it MUST be true.

Furthermore Ferg, how dare you have the audacity to question the veracity of his/her claims??!! Obviously we're dealing with a supreme authority on the subject, and anyone who disagrees is convincingly ignorant as to the correct, and ultimately successful application of strength training with weights to increase endurance cycling performance...

Again, I sincerely hope and trust my racing competition is tuning into this thread. The sooner they get start on that weight training program, the better...

Serious Chris said:
You don't really hide it very well.

... Since you came to 'the table' with the cocky swagger that you knew it all, I just thought I was just providing a little refresher.

Humble pie... It sometimes makes for a tasty start to a feast of training goodness. You should try some sometime.

swampy1970 said:
... Since you came to 'the table' with the cocky swagger that you knew it all, I just thought I was just providing a little refresher.

Not at all, I'm very teachable. My reply to your video link was made in the same humor in which you posted. Next time I'll use the :p feature so everyone will know I'm joking.

swampy1970 said:
Humble pie... It sometimes makes for a tasty start to a feast of training goodness. You should try some sometime.

I don't eat pie; it's fattening.
Oh f*ck! Almost forgot my :p