What to do if you don't like dirnking sugar?

HellonWheels

Aug 1, 2003
I'm wondering what a personc an drink during rides, training, etc for energy if they really can't stand drinking sugar? I'm not antisugar by any means, I like to eat it...but fore some reason drinks with sugar turn my stomach and don't quench my thirst. The only thing I drink is water.

Are there are drinks I can use for long rides, exercise, etc other than water that won't turn my stomach due to being sugared?

Most carbohydrate drinks, both premade and drink mix powders, use either maltodextrin, dextrose, sucrose, fructose, or high fructose corn syrup as a carbohydrate source. Or a combo of two or more of those. Maltodextrin is the least sweet out of all of them and is somewhat bland.

Your best bet would be to use a plain maltodextrin carbohydrate powder and mix it with water yourself since most premade carb drinks, even the ones with mostly maltodextrin have other sugars added to sweeten them. You should be able to find a maltodextrin carbohydrate powder at health food stores, some drug stores, and alot of places online. If you are in the U.S it can also be found at Walmart and GNC.

Maltodextrin can also be found in home brewery shops since maltodextrin is used to make beer. The maltodextrin in brewery shops is usually much cheaper than other places and the quality is just as good.

BiochemGuy said:
Most carbohydrate drinks, both premade and drink mix powders, use either maltodextrin, dextrose, sucrose, fructose, or high fructose corn syrup as a carbohydrate source. Or a combo of two or more of those. Maltodextrin is the least sweet out of all of them and is somewhat bland.

Your best bet would be to use a plain maltodextrin carbohydrate powder and mix it with water yourself since most premade carb drinks, even the ones with mostly maltodextrin have other sugars added to sweeten them. You should be able to find a maltodextrin carbohydrate powder at health food stores, some drug stores, and alot of places online. If you are in the U.S it can also be found at Walmart and GNC.

Maltodextrin can also be found in home brewery shops since maltodextrin is used to make beer. The maltodextrin in brewery shops is usually much cheaper than other places and the quality is just as good.

^^

Good post.

Go and find a local shop the carries Enervit, they have the perfect solution for you called G tablets. It is a mineral replacment tablet for fluid hydration that you chew and simply drink water with, no mixing, no sugar and does a better job then anything I have ever used before. It is also very easy on the stomach, while you are at it try some of their gels, no sugar and no nasty after taste, goes down with no pasty residue in you rmouth like the other stuff.

Hope this helps.

HellonWheels said:
I'm wondering what a personc an drink during rides, training, etc for energy if they really can't stand drinking sugar? I'm not antisugar by any means, I like to eat it...but fore some reason drinks with sugar turn my stomach and don't quench my thirst. The only thing I drink is water.

Are there are drinks I can use for long rides, exercise, etc other than water that won't turn my stomach due to being sugared?
have you tryed diluting real fruit juice not squash, fruit juice, with just a touch of salt not to much or it will inhibit the asorbtion of the fluids or make you sick!

The DIY isotonic drinks, and for the most part just as good as any off-the-shelf isotonic drink. (However, I have to admit somewhat shamefacedly that my own relatively extensive experimentation with isotonic fluids comes not from sport or training but entirely from attempting to avoid hangovers or post-club dehydration :) ). If you have glucose powder though, use it in preference to sugar or fruit juice - glucose is absorbed much more readily than fructose or sucrose.

GU+ recipe

You need
- Polyjoule or Polycose powder (aka Maltodextrin) (found at your local chemist)
- Gastrolyte sachets
- Red cordial
- water
- mixing bowl
- fork/whisk to mix it
- squeeze tube (or similar) for the gel

Mix about 1.5 cups of polycose/polyjoule, 1 sachet of gastrolyte, and lastly add a generous amount of red cordial (enough to turn the powder into a gel, maybe 1/2 to 1 cup). Mix the ingredients for a minute of so. Depending on the consistency of the gel required, add small amount of water (no more than 1/2 cup) to get a 'runnier' gel.

Gu+ will probably be cloudy when freshly whisked. Importantly, let the gel settle overnight in the fridge in the bowl (with glad wrap over the top) to allow the polycose/polyjoule to dissolve fully. It will turn from a cloudy liquid to a more transparent red consistency.

Decant into squeezy tube before use.

--------------------------

This makes about 6 shots, usually enough for 4 hours of bike or run. Make sure to have plenty of water (not gatorade) with each shot
so that you can absorb it.

Different people use differnt kinds of re-usable squeezy tubes while on a run. The ones I like are the Ultimate brand from Paddy Pallin, comes with a holster that attaches to my waterbelt. It has a top similar to a water bottle. I've also used a small kids juice bottle, and a plastic nalgene bottle with a screwtop lid.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/drinks.htm

hope it helps and you enjoy the read, hes also very helpful.

Thanks to everyone for the good replies! I see I have options now, whereas before I didnt think I did! Thanks again!