What tubing is this?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Frank121, May 15, 2003.

  1. Frank121

    Frank121 Guest

    I have received a couple of inquiries as to what specific type of Columbus tubing is on a bike I
    have for sale, plus I would like to know.

    It is a DeRosa (probably pre-1984 I was told since just has one set of water bottle bosses)
    with a Columbus decal stating "Tubi Rinforzati Garantiti" and "Acciaio Speciale" on the top of
    the set tube.

    Is there a way to know for sure if this is Columbus SL, SP, etc.?

    Thanks,

    Frank

    Tags:

  2. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    Bobby Sapovits has tubing charts for Columbus, Reynolds and Tange here: Columbus tubing:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Columbus-tubes.jp g Reynolds tubing:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Reynolds-tubing-s izes.jpg Reynolds
    decals: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Reynolds-transfer
    s.jpg Tange OS tubing: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Tange-OS-tubing.j
    pg Tange road decals:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Tange-road-tubing -II.jpg

  3. [email protected] (frank121) wrote:

    "I have received a couple of inquiries as to what specific type of Columbus tubing is on a bike I
    have for sale, plus I would like to know.

    It is a DeRosa (probably pre-1984 I was told since just has one set of water bottle bosses) with a
    Columbus decal stating "Tubi Rinforzati Garantiti" and "Acciaio Speciale" on the top of the set
    tube. Is there a way to know for sure if this is Columbus SL, SP, etc.?

    Thanks, Frank "

    Well, I'm not sure what "Acciaio" means (tube name?), "Speciale" means special. As for "Tubi
    Rinforzati Garantiti", that translates to; "Guaranteed Reinforced Tubing". A.K.A. double butted

  4. Frank121

    Frank121 Guest

    Thanks for the links!

    Frank

    "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Bobby Sapovits has tubing charts for Columbus, Reynolds and Tange here: Columbus tubing:

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Columbus-tubes.jp
    > g Reynolds tubing:

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Reynolds-tubing-s
    > izes.jpg Reynolds decals:

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Reynolds-transfer
    > s.jpg Tange OS tubing:

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Tange-OS-tubing.j
    > pg Tange road decals:

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Tange-road-tubing
    > -II.jpg
    >

    > "frank121" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I have received a couple of inquiries as to what specific type of
    Columbus
    > > tubing is on a bike I have for sale, plus I would like to know.
    > >
    > > It is a DeRosa (probably pre-1984 I was told since just has one set of
    > water
    > > bottle bosses) with a Columbus decal stating "Tubi Rinforzati Garantiti"
    > and
    > > "Acciaio Speciale" on the top of the set tube.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to know for sure if this is Columbus SL, SP, etc.?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Frank

  5. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284

    "accaio" means "steel". It probably pre-dates SL but might be the same alloy. SL was chrome-molybdenum alloy but there were some mang-moly and other alloys as well... all less expensive tubesets as SL was the tops when it first came out. I would tell your prospective buyers that it's "butted Columbus steel without a designation"

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "frank121" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have received a couple of inquiries as to what specific type of Columbus tubing is on a bike I
    > have for sale, plus I would like to know.
    >
    > It is a DeRosa (probably pre-1984 I was told since just has one set of
    water
    > bottle bosses) with a Columbus decal stating "Tubi Rinforzati Garantiti"
    and
    > "Acciaio Speciale" on the top of the set tube.
    >
    > Is there a way to know for sure if this is Columbus SL, SP, etc.?

    No, not from that. Conscientious builders of the era used a mix of SP and SL in medium sizes which
    is exactly why the various gauges were offered. All quality tubes of the era offered progressively
    heavier tube gauges so as the frame size goes up the thickness changes proportionally. A DeRosa 48
    should be SL. A 63 should be SP. A medium size should be a mix.