What tubing is this?

Frank121

Guest
I have received a couple of inquiries as to what specific type of Columbus tubing is on a bike I
have for sale, plus I would like to know.

It is a DeRosa (probably pre-1984 I was told since just has one set of water bottle bosses)
with a Columbus decal stating "Tubi Rinforzati Garantiti" and "Acciaio Speciale" on the top of
the set tube.

Is there a way to know for sure if this is Columbus SL, SP, etc.?

Thanks,

Frank

Bobby Sapovits has tubing charts for Columbus, Reynolds and Tange here: Columbus tubing:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Columbus-tubes.jp g Reynolds tubing:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Reynolds-tubing-s izes.jpg Reynolds
decals: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Reynolds-transfer
s.jpg Tange OS tubing: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Tange-OS-tubing.j
pg Tange road decals:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Tange-road-tubing -II.jpg

[email protected] (frank121) wrote:

"I have received a couple of inquiries as to what specific type of Columbus tubing is on a bike I
have for sale, plus I would like to know.

It is a DeRosa (probably pre-1984 I was told since just has one set of water bottle bosses) with a
Columbus decal stating "Tubi Rinforzati Garantiti" and "Acciaio Speciale" on the top of the set
tube. Is there a way to know for sure if this is Columbus SL, SP, etc.?

Thanks, Frank "

Well, I'm not sure what "Acciaio" means (tube name?), "Speciale" means special. As for "Tubi
Rinforzati Garantiti", that translates to; "Guaranteed Reinforced Tubing". A.K.A. double butted

Thanks for the links!

Frank

"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Bobby Sapovits has tubing charts for Columbus, Reynolds and Tange here: Columbus tubing:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Columbus-tubes.jp
> g Reynolds tubing:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Reynolds-tubing-s
> izes.jpg Reynolds decals:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Reynolds-transfer
> s.jpg Tange OS tubing:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Tange-OS-tubing.j
> pg Tange road decals:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Tange-road-tubing
> -II.jpg
>

> "frank121" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I have received a couple of inquiries as to what specific type of
Columbus
> > tubing is on a bike I have for sale, plus I would like to know.
> >
> > It is a DeRosa (probably pre-1984 I was told since just has one set of
> water
> > bottle bosses) with a Columbus decal stating "Tubi Rinforzati Garantiti"
> and
> > "Acciaio Speciale" on the top of the set tube.
> >
> > Is there a way to know for sure if this is Columbus SL, SP, etc.?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Frank

Well, I'm not sure what "Acciaio" means (tube name?), "Speciale" means special. As for "Tubi Rinforzati Garantiti", that translates to; "Guaranteed Reinforced Tubing". A.K.A. double butted

"accaio" means "steel". It probably pre-dates SL but might be the same alloy. SL was chrome-molybdenum alloy but there were some mang-moly and other alloys as well... all less expensive tubesets as SL was the tops when it first came out. I would tell your prospective buyers that it's "butted Columbus steel without a designation"

"frank121" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have received a couple of inquiries as to what specific type of Columbus tubing is on a bike I
> have for sale, plus I would like to know.
>
> It is a DeRosa (probably pre-1984 I was told since just has one set of
water
> bottle bosses) with a Columbus decal stating "Tubi Rinforzati Garantiti"
and
> "Acciaio Speciale" on the top of the set tube.
>
> Is there a way to know for sure if this is Columbus SL, SP, etc.?

No, not from that. Conscientious builders of the era used a mix of SP and SL in medium sizes which
is exactly why the various gauges were offered. All quality tubes of the era offered progressively
heavier tube gauges so as the frame size goes up the thickness changes proportionally. A DeRosa 48
should be SL. A 63 should be SP. A medium size should be a mix.