Wheel dishing to correct front wheel offset?

p38lightning

Apr 19, 2004
I just purchased a 1983 Bianchi Allero with Mavic wheels and very low mileage. In the course of evaluating it I noticed that the front wheel is offset to the left as viewed from a riding position about 1/4 to 1/3 inch. The fork seems to be absolutely straight and symetrical. So I took out the washer between the cone and the lock nut (which bears on the inside of the fork leg),and cranked the cone over on the right side. Then I doubled the washers on the left side tightened the cone and nuts and "presto" the wheel had of course moved to the right on the axle, largely eliminating the offset.

Except that this didn't sit well with me. I don't like "rigged fixes" and this seemed like one. My LBS says that mine is not the way to fix it, and that the wheel has to be dished by spoke adjustment to correct this problem.

Can any of you confirm what they are telling me?

Never heard of a front wheel that was dished. So your local shop is right the wheel needs to be corrected. Must of had a drunken wheel builder. Half measures avail us nothing do the right thing and get the wheel fixed correctly at the local bike shop. Sounds like you knew that already though.

p38lightning said:
I ... noticed that the front wheel is offset to the left as viewed from a riding position about 1/4 to 1/3 inch.
...My LBS says that mine is not the way to fix it, and that the wheel has to be dished by spoke adjustment to correct this problem.
Almost all rear wheels run more dished than that without any disastrous results, and so does front wheel s with disc brakes, so as long as your brake can handle the offset there's no actual need for you to do anything. However, it shouldn't be like that, so I understand the urge to deal with it for neatness sake if nothing else.
But if you're confident enough to muck about with your bearing play then why don't you deal with the dishing issue yourself as well? Loosen all nipples on one side X turns, then tighten all the opposing nipples the same amount. Repeat if needed. Barring wind-up this should let you even out the dish without interfering too much with wheel trueness. A better way to check the fork is by flipping the wheel over and then sticking it back. If the offset changes sides it's the wheel that's at fault, if the offset remains then its the fork.

dabac said:
Almost all rear wheels run more dished than that without any disastrous results, and so does front wheel s with disc brakes, so as long as your brake can handle the offset there's no actual need for you to do anything. However, it shouldn't be like that, so I understand the urge to deal with it for neatness sake if nothing else.
But if you're confident enough to muck about with your bearing play then why don't you deal with the dishing issue yourself as well? Loosen all nipples on one side X turns, then tighten all the opposing nipples the same amount. Repeat if needed. Barring wind-up this should let you even out the dish without interfering too much with wheel trueness. A better way to check the fork is by flipping the wheel over and then sticking it back. If the offset changes sides it's the wheel that's at fault, if the offset remains then its the fork.
Thank you so much for you post Dabac. I adjusted the spokes as you suggested, and it worked like a charm. Other than saving about $20 I now have increased skill and confidence in dealing with those intimidating wheels!

Are you absolutely sure it's the wheel and not the forks? It's really not all that uncommon for forks to be unequal in length or even a bit bent to one side.

Check the wheel with a dishing tool. If the rim is centered between the hub locknuts the way it is now (double washers on one side), then it was the hub all along. If not, then it may be the forks.

To check the forks, put a centered wheel in them and note the rim position with respect to the forks. Then flip the wheel around. If the rim is in the same position, it's the forks that are misaligned. Or, since you've modified the wheel and put extra washers on one side, if the rim moves wrt the forks when you flip the wheel around, it is probably the forks and not the wheel.

Gonzo Bob said:
Are you absolutely sure it's the wheel and not the forks? It's really not all that uncommon for forks to be unequal in length or even a bit bent to one side.

Check the wheel with a dishing tool. If the rim is centered between the hub locknuts the way it is now (double washers on one side), then it was the hub all along. If not, then it may be the forks.

To check the forks, put a centered wheel in them and note the rim position with respect to the forks. Then flip the wheel around. If the rim is in the same position, it's the forks that are misaligned. Or, since you've modified the wheel and put extra washers on one side, if the rim moves wrt the forks when you flip the wheel around, it is probably the forks and not the wheel.
I checked the forks by putting in a known centered wheel from my other bike.
It is centered when put in either way. On the wheel in question, after the spoke adjustment, I returned the washers on the axle to their normal configuration adjusted the cones back to center, and it is now centered in either direction when mounted in the forks.

Thanks for the post Gonzo Bob