Wheel question for a newb

4onthfloor

Mar 20, 2008
Hi-

I own an '05 Fuji Absolute (http://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=27), and I am looking to upgrade my wheels.

The bike is an 8-speed, and the girl at my LBS told me that I needed to buy 700c wheels that specified 7/8 or 8/9 (or else I'd have to switch a bunch of other stuff out). Problem is, I can't seem to find too many listings online that actually say 7/8 or 8/9.

I was looking at the Mavic Aksiums, but couldn't tell if these would work or not since there's nothing in the description.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds correct?

Thanks in advance.

I think that she is talking about the freehub on the rear wheel. I beleive that the spline patterns changed on Shimano freehubs between the 7 speed and 8 speed variants. Therefore, you would have to have a freehub made for either a 7 or 8 cog cluster or one that was made for an 8 or 9 cog cluster.

Just ask the seller if the freehub will accept a Shimano 8-speed cluster. You might have to buy the wheels and then purchase a freehub separately for it.

Any current Shimano freehub wheel will take your 8spd Shimano cassette, with the exception of certain DuraAce Hubs. Aksiums will work as long as you have the ones with the Shimano freehub.

4onthfloor said:
Hi-

I own an '05 Fuji Absolute (http://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=27), and I am looking to upgrade my wheels.

The bike is an 8-speed, and the girl at my LBS told me that I needed to buy 700c wheels that specified 7/8 or 8/9 (or else I'd have to switch a bunch of other stuff out). Problem is, I can't seem to find too many listings online that actually say 7/8 or 8/9.

I was looking at the Mavic Aksiums, but couldn't tell if these would work or not since there's nothing in the description.

Thanks in advance.

a 2005 bicycle that has an 8s cogset means that any modern wheel or hub can also use your shimano or Sram 8s cogset. In other words, any 700c wheelset offered in the last decade or so will work for you. 7s was unique but those 7s specific wheels or hubs pretty much disappeared long ago.

BTW-if the wheel is '8s', they are also 9s and 10s(AND 7s). Bike shop girl needs to go back to school about bike stuff she is trying to sell.

thank you guys. very helpful.

so in order for me to use the campagnolo khamsins (which i accidently already ordered), i would need a campy hub...but then would i need to switch anything else in order to use them?

thanks again

4onthfloor said:

so in order for me to use the campagnolo khamsins (which i accidently already ordered), i would need a campy hub...but then would i need to switch anything else in order to use them?

thanks again
Uh-oh. Campy and Shimano use different freehubs. I believe someone makes a shimano-spaced cassette that uses campy splines, though. Wheels Manufacturing comes to mind, but don't remember who makes it exactly.

4onthfloor said:

thanks again

Ahhh Campagnolo. For Campagnolo, the hubs are indeed 8s or 9s/10s. Your options are to convert you right lever to 9s(easy) or use a Veloce 9s cogset, which are all loose cogs, use Campagnolo 8s spacers and use 8 of those 9 cogs.

Are your shifters shimano or Campagnolo?

4onthfloor said:
Hi-

Thanks in advance.

First, too bad the bike shop is so clueless(at least the sales clone). Second, the Mavic wheels can be spec-ed with shimano 8/9/10s or Campag 9/10s. No such animal as Campag 8s freehub body since Campag 8s pretty much went away about 8 years ago.

2005 bike, you sure it's 8s? Campagnolo shifters and derailleurs?? In 2004, all Campag groupps were 9s, none were 8s. I suspect it's a shimano 8s bike.

So you need a shimano compatible wheel.

Peter@vecchios said:
First, too bad the bike shop is so clueless(at least the sales clone). Second, the Mavic wheels can be spec-ed with shimano 8/9/10s or Campag 9/10s. No such animal as Campag 8s freehub body since Campag 8s pretty much went away about 8 years ago.

2005 bike, you sure it's 8s? Campagnolo shifters and derailleurs?? In 2004, all Campag groupps were 9s, none were 8s. I suspect it's a shimano 8s bike.

So you need a shimano compatible wheel.
thanks peter! i will sell the campy and look for a shimano compatible wheelset

kdelong said:
I think that she is talking about the freehub on the rear wheel. I beleive that the spline patterns changed on Shimano freehubs between the 7 speed and 8 speed variants.

Spline pattern is the same, but the length of the body has changed. You can run 8 sprockets from a 9 spd cassette on a 7 spd body with no trouble at all. Likewise 7 and a spacer will run just fine on a nominally 9 spd body.