When will Team Coast implode?

Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> I put the over-under at the end of July.

Candyass!

Leblanc needs this like he needs a hole in the head. Ullrich will bail in favor of CSC. If they
don't have the money he will suck it up and leave anyway rather than stick with a ship that is
certain to sink.

At this point Coast will mean nothing but trouble for Jean- Marie. Even though Coast has a
guaranteed spot, it's his race and no one can tell him what he can or can not do with
it. He will see the slow destruction of the team as an unacceptable distraction from his race, and
will manufacture a rule by which he will exclude them. In their place he will invite an
additional also-ran French team.

The sticking point is that he can't do this at the last minute. So I think it'll happen on May 15th
which is when the last wild cards are announced. Coast will detonate on May 16th.

Bob "Nostradamus" Schwartz [email protected]

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I put the over-under at the end of July.
>
> Candyass!
>
> Leblanc needs this like he needs a hole in the head. Ullrich will bail in favor of CSC. If they
> don't have the money he will suck it up and leave anyway rather than stick with a ship that is
> certain to sink.
>
> At this point Coast will mean nothing but trouble for Jean- Marie. Even though Coast has a
> guaranteed spot, it's his race and no one can tell him what he can or can not do with
> it. He will see the slow destruction of the team as an unacceptable distraction from his race, and
> will manufacture a rule by which he will exclude them. In their place he will invite an
> additional also-ran French team.
>
> The sticking point is that he can't do this at the last minute. So I think it'll happen on May
> 15th which is when the last wild cards are announced. Coast will detonate on May 16th.
>
> Bob "Nostradamus" Schwartz [email protected]

Now that's a ballsy pick!

-T

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote
> Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I put the over-under at the end of July.
>
> Candyass!
>
> Leblanc needs this like he needs a hole in the head. Ullrich will bail in favor of CSC. If they
> don't have the money he will suck it up and leave anyway rather than stick with a ship that is
> certain to sink.
>
> At this point Coast will mean nothing but trouble for Jean- Marie. Even though Coast has a
> guaranteed spot, it's his race and no one can tell him what he can or can not do with
> it. He will see the slow destruction of the team as an unacceptable distraction from his race, and
> will manufacture a rule by which he will exclude them. In their place he will invite an
> additional also-ran French team.
>
> The sticking point is that he can't do this at the last minute. So I think it'll happen on May
> 15th which is when the last wild cards are announced. Coast will detonate on May 16th.
>
> Bob "Nostradamus" Schwartz [email protected]

Well, I very well may be a candyass but in this case I wasn't making a prediction, I was trying to
set the over-under line.

The problem is that as a Top Ten club, Coast gets an automatic bid and LeBlanc doesn't have
discretion over that (as he did over Saeco last year). The only way he can wriggle out of this
morass is if the UCI de-certifies Coast, and I'm guessing he's lobbying for that right now.

Anyway, since you think LeBlanc (and Verbruggen) will figure out a way to keep Coast out, which
also-ran French team do you think will make it in? No candyassing.

Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well, I very well may be a candyass but in this case I wasn't making a prediction, I was trying to
> set the over-under line.

> The problem is that as a Top Ten club, Coast gets an automatic bid and LeBlanc doesn't have
> discretion over that (as he did over Saeco last year). The only way he can wriggle out of this
> morass is if the UCI de-certifies Coast, and I'm guessing he's lobbying for that right now.

> Anyway, since you think LeBlanc (and Verbruggen) will figure out a way to keep Coast out, which
> also-ran French team do you think will make it in? No candyassing.

Heinder and Jean-Marie have much in common in this case. Neither needs this sort of a distraction
and both can make up rules on the spot. So I don't see Top Ten status as that big of a deal.
Coast has everything riding on Jan. Even in his injured state, the list of potential challengers
is very short. Once he leaves Coast goes in the toilet and Hein and Jean-Marie will pull the
handle together.

I hadn't really put much thought about which undeserving French team would get in as a result, I was
just going on history. There are six TT1 French teams, three are already in: Cofidis, CA, and FdJ.
That leaves AG2R, B la B, and Jean Delatour on the outside looking in with four wildcards yet to be
named. And you would have to think that one of those wildcards will go to Domina Vacanze.

The problem with identifying which team is replacing Coast is that Jean-Marie may not play along and
identify them if he boots Coast and names the remaining wildcards which now number five. So I will
predict that all six TT1 French teams are in and if one of them is identified as the successor to
Coast it will be the atrocious Jean Delatour.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

I saw some Critere International coverage on French TV last weekend. The commentators saw everything
about this race as Tour trials. And it seems Milaneza is becoming a serious factor, L'Equipe already
hinted at Tour opportunities for them after Paris-Nice. They might have the best chances of the
foreign teams, after the certain DV (if Cipo doesnt bail out untimely for one reason or other).

Remember some weeks ago when the Coast big boss blamed late payment on Carnival Banking holiday in
Germany. .. I mean, this whole mess-up sounds so un-German.

Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I put the over-under at the end of July.
>
> Candyass!
>
> Leblanc needs this like he needs a hole in the head. Ullrich will bail in favor of CSC. If they
> don't have the money he will suck it up and leave anyway rather than stick with a ship that is
> certain to sink.
>
> At this point Coast will mean nothing but trouble for Jean- Marie. Even though Coast has a
> guaranteed spot, it's his race and no one can tell him what he can or can not do with
> it. He will see the slow destruction of the team as an unacceptable distraction from his race, and
> will manufacture a rule by which he will exclude them. In their place he will invite an
> additional also-ran French team.
>
> The sticking point is that he can't do this at the last minute. So I think it'll happen on May
> 15th which is when the last wild cards are announced. Coast will detonate on May 16th.

Team Coast should merge with another team. If not Ullrich should demaand that that Coast and other
sponsors put up a certain amount of money. If not Ullrich should bail.

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 19:04:10 +0000, Tom Schulenburg wrote:

> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I put the over-under at the end of July.
>>

> Don't be a Candyass. July 28th
>
> -T
Hard to disagree with a team member. This from cyclingnews.com Asked by the Ekstra Bladet whether
Team Coast will be able to race the Tour de France, Bekim Christensen, answers yes: "I think so. But
I can have my doubts about whether the team can make it in August and September after the Tour de
France, if there is not a co-sponsor and more organised conditions found soon. As it is now, the
team is dissolving," said Christensen.

"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Remember some weeks ago when the Coast big boss blamed late payment on Carnival Banking holiday in
> Germany. .. I mean, this whole mess-up sounds
so
> un-German.

What does un-German mean?

"A. Birko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I mean, this whole mess-up sounds
> so
> > un-German.
> >

> What does un-German mean?

Not speaking for Bart, but for myself, German as in punctual, orderly, precise, competent. Un-German
would be the opposite.

news:<[email protected]>...
> "A. Birko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > I mean, this whole mess-up sounds so un-German.
> >
> > What does un-German mean?
> >
> Not speaking for Bart, but for myself, German as in punctual, orderly, precise, competent.
> Un-German would be the opposite.

I second that notion. Coast is acting more like a French team would.
:)

I feel sorry for Marcel Wust who seems to have been trying to make a go of it and this whole
sponsorship problem is just killing his reputation.

> "A. Birko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > I mean, this whole mess-up sounds
> > so
> > > un-German.
> > >

> > What does un-German mean?
> >

> Not speaking for Bart, but for myself, German as in punctual, orderly, precise, competent.
> Un-German would be the opposite.

You obviously haven't dealt with real Germans!

"A. Birko" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > > What does un-German mean?
> > >
> > Not speaking for Bart, but for myself, German as in punctual,
orderly,
> > precise, competent. Un-German would be the opposite.
>
> You obviously haven't dealt with real Germans!

In the USA we got stuck with the fake Germans who came here to succeed and most of them did. Hardly
any of them are feckless old embittered fools except Henry Chang.