Where are you from,what do you do?

Originally posted by sinnicm
truuuuuuu dat!!! nah there very good.. i like to think that the cops here are very conciencious and community oriented... some bad stuff happens but most of the time they are really nice... ive ridden up to a pair of them and just chated away for a while...
ive gotta say id be too scared to swear at these guys im pretty sure they would be way faster than me on a bike!

So you're from toronto... whats your hockey team... we dont get much ice hockey here but i play in-line hockey about three times a week.. im on the defence academy team.. we all fantasize about playing ice!!

That is what seperates us, I'm faster then the police.

Our hockey team is the Toronto Maple Leafs, but we call them the Make Believes. They have not won the Stanley Cup or the championship in like 60 years. They suck as a team. Prefer Vancouver's or Denver's team......

Keep dreaming of ice, keeps you cool.....

Memph

Originally posted by Memphmann
That is what seperates us, I'm faster then the police.

Our hockey team is the Toronto Maple Leafs, but we call them the Make Believes. They have not won the Stanley Cup or the championship in like 60 years. They suck as a team. Prefer Vancouver's or Denver's team......

Keep dreaming of ice, keeps you cool.....

Memph

Police and ice hockey. I thought this was a cycling forum. Lets get back to business folks.

Originally posted by larry barr
Police and ice hockey. I thought this was a cycling forum. Lets get back to business folks.

Hey, Mr 5 posts, what gives you the right to tell anyone what to discuss on this forum? This is under "General" section, where just about anything can and shall be discussed. If you do not like it, then do not read the posts, go to more serious section of forum, or leave. More to life then just cycling....

Memph

Hey, Mr 5 posts, what gives you the right to tell anyone what to discuss on this forum? This is under "General" section, where just about anything can and shall be discussed. If you do not like it, then do not read the posts, go to more serious section of forum, or leave. More to life then just cycling....

Memph

I'll agree that there is more to life than just cycling, but again, police and ice hockey.

I agree, lets get back to business.

Obviously in some of your countries the bike cops are lax.

However, I've seen the Altamonte Bike cops hawk down a car on a 3 lane roadway.

I've seen about 8 Orlando bike cops jump a Mercedes Benz (I mean literally, jumped off there moving bikes onto this car, broke out the glass and yanked the guy out of his seat belt. - Appearantly he just hit another bike cop two blocks away.)

So I have the utmost respect for the Bike Cops in my area.

Randy Lovelace

I'll agree that there is more to life than just cycling, but again, police and ice hockey.

Police and hockey players ride bikes. If we would like to discuss what colour the sky on Mars is. We are more then able to. Do not read the posts. Or don't you believe in freedom of expression & speech...

Memph

Here in Canada, all the police officers on bikes (not security guards), have bellies hanging over their shorts. Seems to just sit on their bikes in one spot looking clueless.

I like to pedal by them calling them foul names. They are too weak to chase me down. Then again all police are power hungry arses, who break the law more then the average person.

It is great if in your country, they have some ability to do something besides suck back lard....

Memph
Here in Canada, all police officers perform a job that requires the daily risk of life and limb. On average they are probably in better physical shape than the average Canadian and certainly not in worse shape. On average they probably are mentally more capable than the average Canadian and certainly not any less capable than the average. It is certain they are more capable than idiot riders with nothing better to do than ride by them casting insults. It takes a real mental midget to exhibit your kind of attitude.

Originally posted by chimo
Here in Canada, all police officers perform a job that requires the daily risk of life and limb. On average they are probably in better physical shape than the average Canadian and certainly not in worse shape. On average they probably are mentally more capable than the average Canadian and certainly not any less capable than the average. It is certain they are more capable than idiot riders with nothing better to do than ride by them casting insults. It takes a real mental midget to exhibit your kind of attitude.

Lets not give these cops more credit then they deserve. If they work in a major city like Van, TO, or Montreal, then they might risk their life. Most work in small towns, which there are more of then larger cities. These small town cops hardly put their life at risk.

If they are more educated then the average Canadian, why do not continue to break the law? Have seen off duty cops break most laws from failing to stop at stop signs, parking in handicap spots, speeding, no turn signal, on duty cops expect special treatment at doughnut shops, harass drivers, give false traffic tickets, other larger crimes. Why do then do this? The only honest cop is a "retired" cop. They deserve double the time for the crime they commit. This is never the case. They get suspended with pay. Must be nice to be a crook and get paid for it from our tax dollars....

Memph

Just testing this out, but to answer the original question, I bike 25 miles after work every other day and try to get in a 40 to 50 mile ride once a weekend. I ride a hardtail Kona lava dome that I just updated to 9 speed with rapid fire shifters and a hand built set of wheels with DT hugi hubs. I cant belive the difference. I would love to have a nice road bike but where I live I get so much use out of my mountain bike. I also run 1.95 michelin joggers for the roads and hard packed conditions. I dont have the heart to take it back to hard offroad just yet.
Anyway nice to meet you all.

Just checking in as a newbie to the forum. I'm a Brit who's been living in Gothenburg, Sweden for the last 4 or so years. I've been cycling all my life, but just started actually training over the last year. My main focus is on triathlons, but I've been doing a few road races (90-120km, plus a 30km TT) as well this season to build experience (I also tried out a 70km mountainbike race - tough going with no suspension!).

I have a Batavus Pro road bike which I bought 2nd hand from a local pro this year (alu frame, carbon forks, tiagra components). Only 3 months old when I bought it, it's my current pride and joy! I also have an OK alu framed mountainbike, which could definitely benefit from the addition of front suspension forks!

Training wise I ride a couple of times a week - most often a 20-30km time-trial effort and then a longer ride at the weekends. I'm cross-training with swimming and running for the triathlon side of things.

Goals for the winter season -

Build good base for next year
Improve on my 31.79kph pace over 30km

Goals for next season -

Race a lot more
Complete the 300km "Vättern Runt" race in Sweden (preferably under 12 hours)
Raise my triathlon placings to the top half of the results list for my age group.

Good to find a great resource for all those ****ling questions that one doesn't have time to ask during club training sessions! Catch you all around.

Originally posted by Ratface
Just checking in as a newbie to the forum. I'm a Brit who's been living in Gothenburg, Sweden for the last 4 or so years. I've been cycling all my life, but just started actually training over the last year. My main focus is on triathlons, but I've been doing a few road races (90-120km, plus a 30km TT) as well this season to build experience (I also tried out a 70km mountainbike race - tough going with no suspension!).

I have a Batavus Pro road bike which I bought 2nd hand from a local pro this year (alu frame, carbon forks, tiagra components). Only 3 months old when I bought it, it's my current pride and joy! I also have an OK alu framed mountainbike, which could definitely benefit from the addition of front suspension forks!

Training wise I ride a couple of times a week - most often a 20-30km time-trial effort and then a longer ride at the weekends. I'm cross-training with swimming and running for the triathlon side of things.

Goals for the winter season -

Build good base for next year
Improve on my 31.79kph pace over 30km

Goals for next season -

Race a lot more
Complete the 300km "Vättern Runt" race in Sweden (preferably under 12 hours)
Raise my triathlon placings to the top half of the results list for my age group.

Good to find a great resource for all those ****ling questions that one doesn't have time to ask during club training sessions! Catch you all around.

300km ride in one day. WOW. Would love to try that........

Memph

300km ride in one day. WOW. Would love to try that........

Memph

Here's the link to the English pages...

http://www.cyklavaettern.com/english/

(Vättern = the name of Sweden's 2nd largets lake - Runt = "around", so it's a ride around Sweden's 2nd largest lake.)

It's a huge race which had 18000 riders this year. I'm looking forward to being among them next year!

Lets not give these cops more credit then they deserve. If they work in a major city like Van, TO, or Montreal, then they might risk their life. Most work in small towns, which there are more of then larger cities. These small town cops hardly put their life at risk.

If they are more educated then the average Canadian, why do not continue to break the law? Have seen off duty cops break most laws from failing to stop at stop signs, parking in handicap spots, speeding, no turn signal, on duty cops expect special treatment at doughnut shops, harass drivers, give false traffic tickets, other larger crimes. Why do then do this? The only honest cop is a "retired" cop. They deserve double the time for the crime they commit. This is never the case. They get suspended with pay. Must be nice to be a crook and get paid for it from our tax dollars....

Memph

Memph -- to get to the point, you're full of ****.

(Vättern = the name of Sweden's 2nd largets lake - Runt = "around", so it's a ride around Sweden's 2nd largest lake.)

It's a huge race which had 18000 riders this year. I'm looking forward to being among them next year!

18000 riders. That sounds like the whole population.

Originally posted by Brunswick_kate
Memph -- to get to the point, you're full of ****.

What am I full of ****? Is it because I'm totally correct about dishonest pigs, cops, fuzz. Why do they deserve any respect when they break as many if not more laws then the average person. They just hide behind their badge and therefore the law. Have dealt with more dishonest pigs then honest. Have seen too many cops break too many laws. Wake up from your dream world where everything is perfect and everyone is polite. Try living in the rudest city in Canada and you'll have a different opinion. Full of ****, no full of the stinking real truth......

Memph

Thank-you for link. Looks like an awesome ride. Maybe I should save and enter. My legs shall survive, but my **** shall be so sore....

Memph

Is the route hilly? How much wind comes off the lake? What was the fastest time? How many of the 18 000 actually finished?

Memph

Is the route hilly? How much wind comes off the lake? What was the fastest time? How many of the 18 000 actually finished?

Memph

Good questions! I'll do my best...

The route is moderately hilly, but by no means alpine. There's a course profile here (the text is in Swedish, but the diagrams pretty much speak for themselves... Course profile

The wind is harder to answer - I haven't ridden the race yet myself so I have no personal experience.

Time is also tricky to answer as the race is a "motion" race meaning they don't take any "official" times. Individual times are chip recorded, but only available individually and they don't seem to publish winning times as far as I can see. I know that times around the 9 hour mark are pretty damn respectable.

As regards how many finished - here's a page that shows some stats for that every year the race has been run: Statistics - some explanations: År = year, anmälda = registered, Startade = Started (duh!) and Fullföljde = Completed.

Shout if there's anything else you were wondering about.