Where will you be touring this summer?

Originally posted by velonomad
The last two weeks in July I will ride from Matane Quebec to Saratoga Springs NY.

Great reply, with that map included. Be sure and give us a report on your trip as people have been saying that the road can be a tad dangerous in that area.........byfred

Crossing Pennsylvania along historic and very scenic Rt 6.( PA Bike Y route). Motel to Motel on my Crossroads hybrid. 700x35 tires, 48x36x26 front chain rings, with rear 11x32. Replaced with flat bars with bar ends. Love riding that bike.

Frank

This is my first posting on this page--I am a great fan of cycle touring and have around 20 good trips since 1990. This summer I will ride the End to End ride in the UK (Land's End in southwestern England to John O'Groats in northeastern Scotland). If anyone's interested in joining me, let me know.

Won't be able to join you this year. I'm located in Canada and our land mass is so large, I most likely won't be able to see it all in my lifetime.
We have some great touring rides over here though, and if you ever decide to give it a try, I might be able to pass on some useful information.

..........byfred

am spending 6 weeks in europe this summer and would love to find a cycling buddy or two for the first two weeks of august...am thinking italy, france or spain. anyone interested?

Originally posted by amydavison
am spending 6 weeks in europe this summer and would love to find a cycling buddy or two for the first two weeks of august...am thinking italy, france or spain. anyone interested?

Italy in August? Phew, it's hot there then. Last time I was there late July I entered from Switz., and immediately headed back OUT (through Austria).

I'll be in ireland June to July. Rick

Originally posted by byfred
The "Touring Season" for North America is quickly approaching. Have you planned your summer tour yet, and if our "paths" do happen to cross, how will I be able to recognize you? In all likelyhood, my wife and I will be in Atlantic Canada for July & August. We have RED Ortlieb Panniers, front & back and it would be really cool to meet someone from this network......byfred
Hi FredRhein
My brother and I are going to do the Moselle from Metz to the Rhein. I did it last year. Downhill and tailwind; he likes the sould of that. Then to Ireland to do a "selfguided" tour in Connemara with some friends. Still, maybe we'll meet on the road sometime. How will you recognize me? www.TodMoore.net

We are out of sync by one year. Last summer I biked across Labrador, the West Coast of Newfoundland and finished off with Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail. This summer I am I biking the Gaspe starting and finishing with Mont-Joli.

Donald Veach

skaufman said:
This is my first posting on this page--I am a great fan of cycle touring and have around 20 good trips since 1990. This summer I will ride the End to End ride in the UK (Land's End in southwestern England to John O'Groats in northeastern Scotland). If anyone's interested in joining me, let me know.
Hi,

2 of us planning LeJog over 7days during the summer (June). Crashed out at Helmsdale this year, recovered now and into winter training mode (indoor). Investigating replacement cycle during the coming weeks.
Interested in your route planning, etc. mailto: [email protected] Thanks

Hey All, My wife and I are doing the doorstep (Charlotte, NC) to Fla in May, along the way we'll stop at Jekylle Island, GA for a one day ride with the LAF tour, then off to Flagler Beach the 15th for the 2nd annual Flagler Beach tour(Great tour, don't miss this one) then south to my birthplace (Opa-Locka, Fla.) We'll do a combination of CC and camping. In July we're finishing up the Blue Ridge Parkway ride (Beech Mountain to Nothern VA. Next year after that (2006) were getting excited about a tour we've always wanted to do, and thats from Charlotte, to Nova Scotia (around hwy 1). :)

photojtn said:
Hey All, My wife and I are doing the doorstep (Charlotte, NC) to Fla in May, along the way we'll stop at Jekylle Island, GA for a one day ride with the LAF tour, then off to Flagler Beach the 15th for the 2nd annual Flagler Beach tour(Great tour, don't miss this one) then south to my birthplace (Opa-Locka, Fla.) We'll do a combination of CC and camping. In July we're finishing up the Blue Ridge Parkway ride (Beech Mountain to Nothern VA. Next year after that (2006) were getting excited about a tour we've always wanted to do, and thats from Charlotte, to Nova Scotia (around hwy 1). :)

There is a very good chance that my wife and I will be in Nova Scotia in 2006 as well. Unless something better comes up, that seems to be the direction we head every summer. It is truely a wonderful part of the world, I think, and we have been there many times. We hope to go back many more times.
May I suggest that when, and if, you get to Pictou N.S., you take the Ferry over to Prince Edward Island. Everything is so peaceful and beautiful over there and you can cover a lot of that little island without taking up much of your time.
If you think that I can be of any assistance in your planning, feel free to ask.

Best wishes..........byfred

byfred said:
There is a very good chance that my wife and I will be in Nova Scotia in 2006 as well. Unless something better comes up, that seems to be the direction we head every summer. It is truely a wonderful part of the world, I think, and we have been there many times. We hope to go back many more times.
May I suggest that when, and if, you get to Pictou N.S., you take the Ferry over to Prince Edward Island. Everything is so peaceful and beautiful over there and you can cover a lot of that little island without taking up much of your time.
If you think that I can be of any assistance in your planning, feel free to ask.

Best wishes..........byfred

Hi Fred, I sure will, Not really sure of the best time of the year though, maybe you have a best time? Let me know when you and your wife are planing to go..anytime for us in 2006. Maybe we can make a joint tour and meet up with you'all...Mummmmm sounds like we have a tour-in-the-making.

James

byfred said:
The "Touring Season" for North America is quickly approaching. Have you planned your summer tour yet, and if our "paths" do happen to cross, how will I be able to recognize you?
Hi Fred, Hope you had a good summer. Mine was terrific although I never got truly warm. Did the Moselle and the Rhine with my brother and then flew to Ireland to cycle with some friends. Both of those rides involved lots of cool not to say somewhat rainy days. Next summer as soon as BIKE NEW YORK is over I'm heading to someplace warm. Flying to Paris, training to Grenoble and heading down through the mountain passes through sunny Provence. I'll finish either in Nice or somewhere along the Riviera or maybe even Avignon of Carcassonne.

My wife and I will be touring from Zurich, cross the border at Basel then across Burgundy and Loire Valley and return. All up away for 6 weeks including travel from Brisbane and back. We will leave Australia on the 27th August and return the first week in October. Not pre-booking anything and we intend to stay in hotels most of the time.

I will be riding a 15 year old Shogun Praire Breaker MTB and my wife has a new Trek 7200fx hybrid. Both are fitted with Deuter Rack Pack 2 panniers and Topeak handlebar bags. We will have small 'Aussie' flags flaying off the back mainly as a warning to other road users as this will be our first time riding on the 'wrong' side of the road. :)

Hope to see some of you on the road.

chevo said:
My wife and I will be touring from Zurich, cross the border at Basel then across Burgundy and Loire Valley and return. All up away for 6 weeks including travel from Brisbane and back. We will leave Australia on the 27th August and return the first week in October. Not pre-booking anything and we intend to stay in hotels most of the time.

I will be riding a 15 year old Shogun Praire Breaker MTB and my wife has a new Trek 7200fx hybrid. Both are fitted with Deuter Rack Pack 2 panniers and Topeak handlebar bags. We will have small 'Aussie' flags flaying off the back mainly as a warning to other road users as this will be our first time riding on the 'wrong' side of the road. :)

Hope to see some of you on the road.

Best Wishes on your trip...........here in Canada, we are right in the middle of a pretty severe winter and our "cycling" is relegated to the "dreaming" stages.
It is great to read about other people's plans, this time of year.

Ride safely..........byfred

byfred said:
Best Wishes on your trip...........here in Canada, we are right in the middle of a pretty severe winter and our "cycling" is relegated to the "dreaming" stages.
It is great to read about other people's plans, this time of year.

Ride safely..........byfred

Thanks byfred. It was a Canadian couple who inspired us to have a go at this trip. Mike and Carol Bedard - perhaps you have read of their travels at mikesbikes.org/. Of course it is midsummer here - today about 32C. Great riding early in the day but it gets a bit too hot and humid by mid morning. Our next door neighbour is originally from a place North of Toronto and she tells us what it is like to be snowbound at this time of the year. During our winter it sometimes gets down to 4C and we complain about how cold it is then :) Can't imagine what a real winter is like. Anyway all the best. Chevo.

Hey Fred,

My partner and I are planning on leaving Boston for Nova Scotia sometime mid-June and be out in Atlantic Canada (NB, NS, PEI) for a few weeks. He will fly home, and I'll continue out Seattle for a decent summer of biking.

I am not sure at this point if I'll bike the entire way across Canada, or if I'll drop down to Ft. Mandan, North Dakota and follow the Lewis and Clark route the rest of way. Either way, of course, I plan on coming down the St. Lawrence, looking at Niagara and the Great Lakes and wearing lots of bug spray in Lake of the Woods.

I've got a Rodriguez tourer with old bags and patches and am overweight. He has a little mountain bike with red Ortliebs and is thin. It should be fairly obvious if you see us on the road.

Knox Gardner
www.bikenerd.blogspot.com

PS. It may be early in Canada, but we are doing a little overnight CC tour this weekend across Rhode Island (ah, what a small state). It will be his first time out on bike with a destination other than home.

KnoxGardner said:
Hey Fred,

My partner and I are planning on leaving Boston for Nova Scotia sometime mid-June and be out in Atlantic Canada (NB, NS, PEI) for a few weeks. He will fly home, and I'll continue out Seattle for a decent summer of biking.

I am not sure at this point if I'll bike the entire way across Canada, or if I'll drop down to Ft. Mandan, North Dakota and follow the Lewis and Clark route the rest of way. Either way, of course, I plan on coming down the St. Lawrence, looking at Niagara and the Great Lakes and wearing lots of bug spray in Lake of the Woods.

I've got a Rodriguez tourer with old bags and patches and am overweight. He has a little mountain bike with red Ortliebs and is thin. It should be fairly obvious if you see us on the road.

Knox Gardner

PS. It may be early in Canada, but we are doing a little overnight CC tour this weekend across Rhode Island (ah, what a small state). It will be his first time out on bike with a destination other than home.

Hi Knox:
It will be late June before we make it into the Maritimes, but I'll keep a lookout for you and it would be GREAT to see you. byfred

PS: let me know if I could help with any highway recommendations?

byfred said:
Hi Knox:
It will be late June before we make it into the Maritimes, but I'll keep a lookout for you and it would be GREAT to see you. byfred

PS: let me know if I could help with any highway recommendations?
Thanks Fred,

I will definitely get back in touch with you later this spring as we firm up the dates. I'd sure like to get to New Foundland for a bit before heading west. It looks pretty straight forward to me going down the St. Lawrence, just some hoping back and forth to try to stay on the quiet side. Certainly, any tips of things not to miss would be helpful. I have also never been to any of the eastern Canadian cities so need to decide if it is going to be worth the hassle to get into them (and I guess, the one I would likely skip is Toronto and instead head out west from Ottawa). I did some biking a couple years go in BC/Alberta and found the roads just fine and everyone super helpful. I am hoping it is a Canandian thing. :)

Knox Gardner