Which bike to buy? There's too many choices!

Chris Hansen

Guest
Hello,

I've decided to get a new bike but I'm not sure what kind. I haven't been bicycle shopping for about
15 years and things have changed quite a bit, there's so many choices it's confusing.

I've been riding, what started life as, an 87 bianchi incline Almost everything has been replaced
since then and things just don't fit together the way they used to. I like the durability of a
mountain bike and it's fun to ride off road when I can but most of my riding is on the road. I guess
I'm looking for something that will be good for routine 20 mile rides and occasionally 30 miles and
longer but will also work well on rough roads, dirt roads and light off road riding. I'm not looking
to break any speed records, just something I can sit on for a while and put on some miles. I would
prefer a more efficient pedaling position over something more upright.

My specific questions are:

Do I want suspension? I've never had it and don't know what I'm missing. What are the pros and cons?

What type of bike should I ask for when I go shopping?

Do you have any tips on what to look for or what to avoid?

Do you know anything about the "Surly Karate Monkey"? It sort of looks like what I'm thinking of and
I would love to have a bike named "Karate Monkey".

Thanks.

I'm not the most knowledgeable about bikes, but I've been riding as an adult and commuting almost
everyday for two years, so I'll try and answer a few of your questions. I'm sure you'll get good
answers to the rest here.

"Chris Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> My specific questions are:
>
> Do I want suspension? I've never had it and don't know what I'm missing. What are the pros
> and cons?

The answer to this question is mostly a question of what kind of riding you want to do. Where do
you want to ride? In general, if you want to ride on the road or paved trails at a fast/hard pace,
suspension probably isn't desirable. If you want to ride down off-road trails, then this might be
something you want. If doing any riding besides hard road/paved surface riding, you'll probably
just want to try it out and see what it feels like. Suspension can make the ride more comfortable,
but I've read that it can cause power to be wasted in hard road riding, so you never see it on
road bikes.

> What type of bike should I ask for when I go shopping?

Again the question is where do you want to ride. If you go to a good bike shop, they should ask you
where you want to ride, how much you want to ride etc. Once they know the answers to those questions
they can direct you to the type of bike (road, hybrid, mountain) that is most suited for the type of
riding you want to do. A good bike shop will also make sure you're fitted properly for whatever type
of bike you're looking for. You should probably visit a few shops before choosing and find a shop
that asks the right questions, fits you to your bike properly and generally feels good to you. Also
in the long run, you'd want to know that the repair people do good job.

> Do you have any tips on what to look for or what to avoid?

Avoid ___-marts. But since you've seen the large selection, doesn't sound like that's where you
went anyway.

Happy hunting.

31 Dec 2003 15:20:04 -0800,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Chris Hansen) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've decided to get a new bike but I'm not sure what kind. I haven't been bicycle shopping for
>about 15 years and things have changed quite a bit, there's so many choices it's confusing.
>
>I've been riding, what started life as, an 87 bianchi incline Almost everything has been replaced
>since then and things just don't fit together the way they used to. I like the durability of a
>mountain bike and it's fun to ride off road when I can but most of my riding is on the road. I
>guess I'm looking for something that will be good for routine 20 mile rides and occasionally 30
>miles and longer but will also work well on rough roads, dirt roads and light off road riding. I'm
>not looking to break any speed records, just something I can sit on for a while and put on some
>miles. I would prefer a more efficient pedaling position over something more upright.
>
>My specific questions are:
>
>Do I want suspension? I've never had it and don't know what I'm missing. What are the pros
>and cons?
>
>What type of bike should I ask for when I go shopping?
>
>Do you have any tips on what to look for or what to avoid?
>
>Do you know anything about the "Surly Karate Monkey"? It sort of looks like what I'm thinking of
>and I would love to have a bike named "Karate Monkey".
>
>Thanks.

AFAIK, the Surly Karate Monkey is just a frame/fork set that you can build up however you want.
Except it would be ugly as hell unless you filled all the disc brake and derailleur ready braze-ons
and castings.

There are now bikes called "hybrids". They're a cross between a road bike and an upright roadster.
The field is further divided into "performance" and "comfort" hybrids. You might also investigate
"cyclo-cross" bikes.

For road riding and easy trails you don't need suspension. It's heavy and expensive when done
right. Avoid cheap suspension gee-gaws on comfort hybrids and just get wider tires if you want a
cushier ride.

Kona's "Dr.Dew" and "Jake the Snake" would be worth a look. http://www.konaworld.com/
--
zk

"Chris Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I've decided to get a new bike but I'm not sure what kind. I haven't been bicycle shopping for
> about 15 years and things have changed quite a bit, there's so many choices it's confusing.

Everybody has their own tastes, but if I was you the first step would be to visit a well stocked LBS
and ride around a few different types of bikes. Whenever one of my friends asks me the same question
... or often they see a dual suspension mountain bike at S-Mart and that's what they think they want
for a "street" bike, that's what I tell them to do. I don't think I've ever had one friend (in your
situation) end up buying what they thought they wanted off the bat.

Ride a bunch of different ones. Take all day. Take a couple of days. In the end it's all about what
feels right to you.

For what it's worth, I have 2 bikes in the general category you're talking about. One is a dual
suspension aluminum MTB with 26" tires. I really like it, and I love the dual suspension. It's great
for the woods but not so hot for the road, basically because of the tires. The suspension is nice on
the road and if I ever retire this bike and decide to turn it into a commuter / hybrid bike she'll
be great. The other bike started life as a 1990 vintage MTB that is now a full blown street bike.
Hardtail, steel frame, rigid front fork, 26" tires, fenders, rack and lights. She's a great all
around bike, with mild tread on the tires. The tires will make a big difference in the way the bike
handles on and off road.

If I was in the market for a bike right now, I would be looking at 29" wheeled bikes and seriously
considering dual suspension. It would end up depending on how much money I wanted to spend and what
was practical. The Surly Karate Monkey is also something I would seriously consider building up with
29" wheels. If you get a chance, ride a 29" mountain-ish bike.

Good luck,
C.Q.C.

Now to watch some stupid ball drop ...

[email protected] (Chris Hansen) wrote in message >
>I'm not looking to break any speed records, just something I can sit on for a while and put on some
>miles. I would prefer a more efficient pedaling position over something more upright.

Chris, just a heads-up here, this newsgroup is switching to being a euro road racing only NG, and we
will not be dealing with hybrids and MTBs after that time.

The migration should be completed sometime around mid '04.

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 23:57:13 -0500, "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Chris Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've decided to get a new bike but I'm not sure what kind. I haven't been bicycle shopping for
>> about 15 years and things have changed quite a bit, there's so many choices it's confusing.

Piggybacking...

Definitely use a Local Bike Store (LBS). Ask them about their service. They should do almost free
tune ups (not incl. parts) for a year or so, and will do little things like adjust stuff as you wait
for the life of the bike. In addition, if your bike is in good shape and you want to trade it
in/trade up, you'll probably get a great deal.

That alone is reason to buy at an LBS. If they won't let you ride, or don't seem to offer a lot of
support, then pick another shop. The beginning level bikes are similar enough so that it's more
about doing business with people you like, IMO.

Buy the best bike you can afford if you plan on riding it a lot. It's hard to go wrong on an entry
level MTB, like a Trek (3700, 4100,
4300), or an entry level street bike or hybrid. It depends on where you're going to be riding the
most. Ask for a catalog. Time your time deciding (as another poster suggested).

I'd forget dual-suspension. It's not worth the added weight. Front fork suspension is good. That's
called a 'Hard Tail'.

If you do comparisons between models by the same company, you'll note they improve the frame, then
the wheels, then the cranks and deraileurs, etc. This is a good way to judge what minimum quality is
worth the money.

All the other stuff - super light weight frame, top of the line components - is improvement "by
inches", IMO, and not that important for a beginner/intermediate.

Do enough research (if you have time) to be able to ask the right questions. Tell the LBS people
where and how you intend to do most of your riding. It's not uncommon for someone who knows little
to attempt to buy the wrong bike - i.e. based on looks, not on function (i.e. a knobby wheeled trail
bike to ride the streets to work - you need a hybrid or a road bike).

Finally make sure they fit you correctly. Height of the handlebars, size of the frame, seat height -
all important things. It often takes trial and error to get the final best fit. Go back if something
seems off and they can readjust.

(Note: most people have the seats too low. You shouldn't be able to touch the ground while seated in
the saddle. Second, most people have the handlebars too low, IMO, trying to achieve that 'flat-back'
position. I think a lot would do better with higher handlebars so you're not throwing so much weight
on the front wheel, plus it's more comfortable to ride.)

HTH,

-B

Badger South <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... Big snip
> I'd forget dual-suspension. It's not worth the added weight. Front fork suspension is good. That's
> called a 'Hard Tail'.

For road riding, you might do well with no suspension, a suspension seat post, or a quality sprung
saddle. A good sprung saddle, like a Brooks, is something you would probably have to buy separately.
(More snipped)
> (Note: most people have the seats too low. You shouldn't be able to touch the ground while seated
> in the saddle.

Well, actually, with the saddle height correct, so that your leg is just barely bent at the bottom
of the rotation, you be can probably put the ends of your toes on the ground. However, a lot of
inexperienced cyclists assume that they should be able to put their feet down flat. Unless you have
a recumbent, or some of the newer cruiser style bkes where the bottom bracket is farther forward,
this will end up being very uncomfortable when pedaling, and you may even injure yourselve

"Badger South" <[email protected]> wrote

<snip>
> Buy the best bike you can afford if you plan on riding it a lot. It's hard to go wrong on an entry
> level MTB, like a Trek (3700, 4100,
> 4300), or an entry level street bike or hybrid.
<snip>

The Trek 4300 is a very nice bike. That's one my friend got after riding just about every bike
(under $400) in the store ... I think the color helped her decide. Get one in black and charcoal
gray. I'm not sure if the 2004 comes in that color, but I've seen 2003 models now around $300.

C.Q.C.

On 02 Jan 2004 13:12:24 GMT, [email protected] (Denver C. Fox) wrote:

>>Chris, just a heads-up here, this newsgroup is switching to being a euro road racing only NG, and
>>we will not be dealing with hybrids and MTBs after that time.
>>

>Say what?

He has a mouse in his pocket; thus the 'we'. ;-)

-B

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:19:11 -0500, "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Badger South" <[email protected]> wrote
>
><snip>
>> Buy the best bike you can afford if you plan on riding it a lot. It's hard to go wrong on an
>> entry level MTB, like a Trek (3700, 4100,
>> 4300), or an entry level street bike or hybrid.
><snip>
>
>The Trek 4300 is a very nice bike. That's one my friend got after riding just about every bike
>(under $400) in the store ... I think the color helped her decide. Get one in black and charcoal
>gray. I'm not sure if the 2004 comes in that color, but I've seen 2003 models now around $300.
>
>C.Q.C.

Yes, I agree. That or the 4500 is great for the price, IMO. I'm trying to decide if the extra 100
for the 4500 is worth it, since they're pretty close, but the 4500 has a better front fork (RockShox
Judy TT), which seems to be the main difference, plus a step up in deraileurs.

I'm now trying to decide between the disc brakes and regular linear pull. More research needed I
guess. ;-)

-B

Originally posted by Chris Hansen
Hello,

I've decided to get a new bike but I'm not sure what kind. I haven't been bicycle shopping for about
15 years and things have changed quite a bit, there's so many choices it's confusing.

I've been riding, what started life as, an 87 bianchi incline Almost everything has been replaced
since then and things just don't fit together the way they used to. I like the durability of a
mountain bike and it's fun to ride off road when I can but most of my riding is on the road. I guess
I'm looking for something that will be good for routine 20 mile rides and occasionally 30 miles and
longer but will also work well on rough roads, dirt roads and light off road riding. I'm not looking
to break any speed records, just something I can sit on for a while and put on some miles. I would
You cant get a off roader with dropbars so which is it?You might go for both.Sounds like its mostly street so get it first.Then you might look for a nice used dirtbike.I have an 03 felt SR71 for sale but it has flat bars otherwise its street.
prefer a more efficient pedaling position over something more upright.

My specific questions are:

Do I want suspension? I've never had it and don't know what I'm missing. What are the pros and cons?

What type of bike should I ask for when I go shopping?

Do you have any tips on what to look for or what to avoid?

Do you know anything about the "Surly Karate Monkey"? It sort of looks like what I'm thinking of and
I would love to have a bike named "Karate Monkey".

Thanks.

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 09:54:26 -0500, Badger South <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:19:11 -0500, "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Badger South" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>><snip>
>>> Buy the best bike you can afford if you plan on riding it a lot. It's hard to go wrong on an
>>> entry level MTB, like a Trek (3700, 4100,
>>> 4300), or an entry level street bike or hybrid.
>><snip>
>>
>>The Trek 4300 is a very nice bike. That's one my friend got after riding just about every bike
>>(under $400) in the store ... I think the color helped her decide. Get one in black and charcoal
>>gray. I'm not sure if the 2004 comes in that color, but I've seen 2003 models now around $300.
>>
>>C.Q.C.
>>

>Yes, I agree. That or the 4500 is great for the price, IMO. I'm trying to decide if the extra 100
>for the 4500 is worth it, since they're pretty close, but the 4500 has a better front fork
>(RockShox Judy TT), which seems to be the main difference, plus a step up in deraileurs.
>
>I'm now trying to decide between the disc brakes and regular linear pull. More research needed I
>guess. ;-)
>
>-B

Oops, I erred. The 4500 is only 20bucks more. It's the 4900 that is the $100 jump

-B

[email protected] (Chris Hansen) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello,
>
> I've decided to get a new bike but I'm not sure what kind. I haven't been bicycle shopping for
> about 15 years and things have changed quite a bit, there's so many choices it's confusing.
>
> I've been riding, what started life as, an 87 bianchi incline Almost everything has been replaced
> since then and things just don't fit together the way they used to. I like the durability of a
> mountain bike and it's fun to ride off road when I can but most of my riding is on the road. I
> guess I'm looking for something that will be good for routine 20 mile rides and occasionally 30
> miles and longer but will also work well on rough roads, dirt roads and light off road riding. I'm
> not looking to break any speed records, just something I can sit on for a while and put on some
> miles. I would prefer a more efficient pedaling position over something more upright.
>
> My specific questions are:
>
> Do I want suspension? I've never had it and don't know what I'm missing. What are the pros
> and cons?

Doesn't sound like it. They weigh quite a bit more than a typical fork/frame and are only really
necessary if you do single track trail riding. If you find that you'd really want suspension then
you can get a suspension seat post that will be a good compromise between full and no suspension.

From the description of the riding you're likely to do I'd suggest getting a touring bike. Find a
frame that has clearence for wide tires. When you want to go on a dirt road just put on a pair of
cyclocross tires and off you go. The tires would be ok for riding on a road for some miles as well.
But I mostly keep the road tires on my bike.

> What type of bike should I ask for when I go shopping?

What are you comfortable riding? If you like being upright then you are probably get more use
out of a hybrid bike. If you prefer to get over the handlebars then a touring or road bike will
do you fine.

> Do you have any tips on what to look for or what to avoid?

Discount store bikes are to be avoided at all costs. You will probably appreciate a bike that weighs
less. On a 30-40 mile ride it can be a drag having a heavy bike. Don't focus on weight but if it
comes down to 2 models that are otherwise the same I'd make weight the tie breaker.

> Do you know anything about the "Surly Karate Monkey"? It sort of looks like what I'm thinking of
> and I would love to have a bike named "Karate Monkey".

No.

> Thanks.

Have fun and buy a bike you'll ride. Andy

On 2 Jan 2004 10:45:41 -0800, [email protected] (AMH)
wrote:

>[email protected] (Chris Hansen) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've decided to get a new bike but I'm not sure what kind. I haven't been bicycle shopping for
>> about 15 years and things have changed quite a bit, there's so many choices it's confusing.
>>
>> I've been riding, what started life as, an 87 bianchi incline Almost everything has been replaced
>> since then and things just don't fit together the way they used to. I like the durability of a
>> mountain bike and it's fun to ride off road when I can but most of my riding is on the road. I
>> guess I'm looking for something that will be good for routine 20 mile rides and occasionally 30
>> miles and longer but will also work well on rough roads, dirt roads and light off road riding.
>> I'm not looking to break any speed records, just something I can sit on for a while and put on
>> some miles. I would prefer a more efficient pedaling position over something more upright.
>>
>> My specific questions are:
>>
>> Do I want suspension? I've never had it and don't know what I'm missing. What are the pros
>> and cons?
>
>Doesn't sound like it. They weigh quite a bit more than a typical fork/frame and are only really
>necessary if you do single track trail riding. If you find that you'd really want suspension then
>you can get a suspension seat post that will be a good compromise between full and no suspension.

Excellent suggestion. More often than not with a dual suspension it's annoying when the back
end bounces.

And, as another poster aptly pointed out, your rear suspension is your legs! ;-)

-B

Kevan Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:29:15 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> from The Esoteric c0wz
> Society wrote:
>
>> On 02 Jan 2004 13:12:24 GMT, [email protected] (Denver C. Fox) wrote:
>>> Say what?
>>
>> What?
>
> The dickens you say!

Don't do it, Rick -- JUST SAY NO TO SILLINESS!

Bill "I know, 'No to silliness' " S.