Who are you Supporting in the FIFA World Cup 2006?

lwedge said:
Not sure what happened to TV coverage in my area. I should have been able to watch England vs Paraguay and Sweden vs Trinidad

dont worry, they were two of the worst games in the touranament so far. you didnt miss any great football.

lwedge said:
Crikey, US is an 80:1 dog to make it to the final round.:(

lw
the fact the US made it into the finals shows they are a good side.

anyway, dont worry too much about it, i am sure the US will win the 'world' series this year, or at least come in the top two.

lwedge said:
Not sure what happened to TV coverage in my area. I should have been able to watch England vs Paraguay and Sweden vs Trinidad as it was schedule for broadcast on ABC at 6a and 9a but I got cartoons instead. I missed Eng\Par .........

You were better off watching the cartoons : England were terrible
Headless chicken stuff and boring to boot.

lwedge said:
I was able to watch all of the Argentina vs Ivory Coast match on ESPN2. Great effort by CIV but Argentina was just too much. I think the first goal attempt for Arg should have been called a goal. The ball had to have crossed the plane of the goal line as the ball bounced off the CIV goalie (Tizie) and hit the back of the goal post and went back into Tizie's hands but it was not granted by the referee. Arg had another goal in the second half called back for being offsides. Good match though.

Crikey, US is an 80:1 dog to make it to the final round.:(

lw

Agrentina/Ivory Coast was a good game.
As was Germany/Costa Rica : poor old Poland got off to a woeful start.

Didn't see Holland/Serbia Montenegro : one-nil Holland was the result.

Too much sport on TV.

Saw the second half of the England vs Paraguay match and England where shocking. I'm suprised that Paraguay didn't score, they definitely deserved too. Ah well, lets hope England can get there act together before their next match.

Eldrack said:
Saw the second half of the England vs Paraguay match and England where shocking. I'm suprised that Paraguay didn't score, they definitely deserved too. Ah well, lets hope England can get there act together before their next match.

On paper, England are a good side. But s Brian Clough said in his immortal words "that's all very well young man, but we're not playing on paper, we're palying on grass"

Ericcsson's in charge - and that's where the problem is.
Gerrard and Lampard both playin midfield.
Theo Walcott who can't even get in to the Arsenal side in his squad?
Do I need to go on??

Caught the Aussie game highlights : fair play to Japan they put up a really good fight.

I just saw the US result against the Czech's : if it's any consolation, the Czech's are a good team.

Just saw Italy/Ghana : Ghana look pretty useful too.
It's a tough group, Lw.

limerickman said:
Caught the Aussie game highlights : fair play to Japan they put up a really good fight.

I just saw the US result against the Czech's : if it's any consolation, the Czech's are a good team.

It's a tough group, Lw.
Yes, Ghana is a little bit of a sleeper and may take a few by surprise.

The US sqaud does have some talent however, as a team they looked only college worthy and not WC material. The Czech's took it easy on a lost US team.

Thanks for the scoop.

very disappointed in the usa's showing against czech republic. i believed the czechs to have a strong side, but did not expect them to make the arena's boys look that bad. perhaps italy will be the team to suffer the surprise knock-out. fingers crossed anyway.

limerickman said:

It's a tough group, Lw.
I have been a fan of Czech Replublic since Euro '96 where they were beaten in the final by Germany, Oliver Bierhoff getting the GG.

I can see them going all the way to the final. They are a powerful dominating team and hugely talented. The also know how to make some great beer and that always demands respect in my book.

The Italy-Ghana game was a great piece of football entertainment, i wasnt really 'rooting' for any team to win but i did find myself eventually hoping Ghana would hold them to a draw.

Todays matches are:

South Korea - Togo (my predictions) 2-0
France - Switzerland 3-0
Brasil - Croatia 2-1

mind you, its almost impossible to predict the result of a World Cup Game, there are always surprises. Smaller teams always seem to play thier socks off.

MountainPro said:
I have been a fan of Czech Replublic since Euro '96 where they were beaten in the final by Germany, Oliver Bierhoff getting the GG.

I can see them going all the way to the final. They are a powerful dominating team and hugely talented. The also know how to make some great beer and that always demands respect in my book.

The Italy-Ghana game was a great piece of football entertainment, i wasnt really 'rooting' for any team to win but i did find myself eventually hoping Ghana would hold them to a draw.

Todays matches are:

South Korea - Togo (my predictions) 2-0
France - Switzerland 3-0
Brasil - Croatia 2-1

mind you, its almost impossible to predict the result of a World Cup Game, there are always surprises. Smaller teams always seem to play thier socks off.

African teams are playing good football in this tourny.
Ivory Coast gave Argentina a scare and Ghana put up a solid fight against Italy.
Good to see new teams emerging.

France-Switzerland will be a cracker - as too Brazil-Croatia.
Germany-Poland ought to be a good game (tomorrow).

limerickman said:
African teams are playing good football in this tourny.
Ivory Coast gave Argentina a scare and Ghana put up a solid fight against Italy.
Good to see new teams emerging.

France-Switzerland will be a cracker - as too Brazil-Croatia.
Germany-Poland ought to be a good game (tomorrow).
i was listening to a Scots comedy show the other day and the question was: What would be your fantasy outcome to the first England game? Posed mainly to Scottish celebrities and fans.

The best answer in my opinion was Wayne Rooney to score a hat trick. That way they cannot blame poor form or broken feet as an excuse when the inevitable happens.

England are already blaming the weather for thier terrible performance.

During the Sweden game all the commenators talked about was the England squad, Sven, rooney etc. Then during half time it was the same, all the talk was about England and thier chances. Its been the same on every game so far. '66 have been mentioned inumerable times of course.

Someone asked me, how come Scotland has never won the world cup? Answer: Because we havent hosted it yet.

MountainPro said:
i was listening to a Scots comedy show the other day and the question was: What would be your fantasy outcome to the first England game? Posed mainly to Scottish celebrities and fans.

The best answer in my opinion was Wayne Rooney to score a hat trick. That way they cannot blame poor form or broken feet as an excuse when the inevitable happens.

England are already blaming the weather for thier terrible performance.

During the Sweden game all the commenators talked about was the England squad, Sven, rooney etc. Then during half time it was the same, all the talk was about England and thier chances. Its been the same on every game so far. '66 have been mentioned inumerable times of course.

Someone asked me, how come Scotland has never won the world cup? Answer: Because we havent hosted it yet.

I know nothing at all about football. I couldnt tell a crack squad from a crack ho to be honest.

I want Brazil to win just because they have cool names

Fixey said:
I know nothing at all about football. I couldnt tell a crack squad from a crack ho to be honest.

I want Brazil to win just because they have cool names

What about bloody NZ robbing Ireland of a deserved win last weekend??

Wurm said:
Hey Lim - is Zidane still playing, or has he retired?

He's in the French squad (the French have recalled a lot of the 1998 team - ZZ included - for this world cup).

Germany 1-0 Poland

From FIFA.com:
The result does not guarantee the hosts qualification for the Round of 16, but it leaves them with one foot in the knockout stages.

OK, someone explain how a team with 6 points might not advance. I don't feel like joining any WC chat rooms. Are they talking about a disqualification?

Oh, nevermind, I figured it out.

lwedge said:
What does the term "A Friendly" mean in European sport nomenclature ?
A 'friendly' is a game between two sides where the outcome has no significance. They are not playing in a league or in any competition so points are not alloted to the winning side.

A friendly is normally played outside of competitions or between seasons to let teams train and gel together or let new and younger players get some experience by playing real opposition.

For a player to be injured in a friendly is really bad luck and there is a general rule (alothough not official) that you shouldn't enter into any hard tackles in a friendly, however, a friendly match doesnt mean that the sides take it any less seriously and can be anything but 'friendly'.

DiabloScott said:
Germany 1-0 Poland

From FIFA.com:
The result does not guarantee the hosts qualification for the Round of 16, but it leaves them with one foot in the knockout stages.

OK, someone explain how a team with 6 points might not advance. I don't feel like joining any WC chat rooms. Are they talking about a disqualification?

Oh, nevermind, I figured it out.
they can get beaten on points difference. Germany should have scored more goals.

man, what an utter dissapointment to see Poland get beat in the 91st minute.