Why do Americans have such rotten teeth?

The Irish and Soviets have worse teeth by far. We don't (Americans) have great teeth for most folks have no insurance for tooth care.

Dental care is very expensive here and everywhere, I would suspect.

ptlwp said:
The Irish and Soviets have worse teeth by far. We don't (Americans) have great teeth for most folks have no insurance for tooth care.

Dental care is very expensive here and everywhere, I would suspect.

The Irish and the Soviets??????????

How did you come to this insight ??????
And the use of the word Soviets is pretty strange too - given that the USSR dissolved in .....1991.

BTW - I've a full set of teeth.
And I'm Irish.

limerickman said:

And the use of the word Soviets is pretty strange too - given that the USSR dissolved in .....1991.

And I'm Irish.
I worked with a girl of Irish descent; she said that the Irish have bad teeth. The former Soviet Union has many girls that are good enough for modeling lookswise, but that their teeth are a mess.

I guess I heard it in a roundabout way. My own teeth are my own, but they have needed work all my life.

limerickman said:

And I'm Irish.
You need to get in a few more bar fights then.........

wolfix said:
You need to get in a few more bar fights then.........

I'm gonna start a punchup with the 80+ year old guys who sit in the snug of my local pub.
None of them have teeth!

limerickman said:
I'm gonna start a punchup with the 80+ year old guys who sit in the snug of my local pub.
None of them have teeth!
There ya go, an 80 year old, that even I could punch up.

limerickman said:

And I'm Irish.

It's ye liver we be worried about. :D

NHS dentistry has not been free since 1952. You have to pay 80% of the costs unless you are under 18, pregnant or 1 year after giving birth, or are on a list of other categories.

Can someone tell me what this has to do with cycling?

Americans eat out a lot cause they are nerveous as hell wondering where their jobs will be....next month, so they eat it off instead of work it off. That's my guess.

I have a friend whose job was lost because of voice recognition becoming the norm.

riptoff said:
NHS dentistry has not been free since 1952. You have to pay 80% of the costs unless you are under 18, pregnant or 1 year after giving birth, or are on a list of other categories.

Can someone tell me what this has to do with cycling?
Absolutely nothing at all...just like every other topic in the Soapbox.
Which, of course, is why it's in the Soapbox.

funny thing, s-babe, in the backwood sticks were i live the locals are known for less than perfect dentrifice. at a local corvette club show
(this is a garish form of american transportation that is a cross between a toy and a weapon for you kiwis who, as we understand it here
in god's own us of a, employ primarily rickshaws for conveyance)
the awards where being presented, and upon one particular award going to a member who it was anounced was a resident of this dead-end road hicktown i call home, a bystander heckled "show us your tooth".

i was appalled, and a couple years later got 'round to making an appointment with the dentist.

stevebaby said:
http://www.whocollab.od.mah.se/countriesalphab.html
Global Oral Health - CAPP

Is it the **** they eat? Too lazy to brush and floss? Can't afford dentists?
Even Bangladeshis have better teeth! OMG! :eek:

jhuskey said:
I got the wife training on the bike 7 days a week so she can open a beer with her butt cheeks.
Why waste my energy on menial tasks.
now that is talent! wow. got to get my gf going so she can do that. it won't be easy, but i will find a way! i admit i do have bad teeth, (although I do brush, floss, and mouth rinse everyday) but i was raised by a single mom who worked her ass off just to put a roof over my head, and keep clothes on my back. even with her lousy insurance. she was unable to really afford dentist, doctor visits. not her fault though, she did the best she could, i am in the process of having my teeth restored. so when you want to pick on americans for having bad teeth. maybe you should also take into account that my goverment has no care in the world for my teeth or my health.

Hypnospin said:
funny thing, s-babe, in the backwood sticks were i live the locals are known for less than perfect dentrifice. at a local corvette club show
(this is a garish form of american transportation that is a cross between a toy and a weapon for you kiwis who, as we understand it here
in god's own us of a, employ primarily rickshaws for conveyance)
the awards where being presented, and upon one particular award going to a member who it was anounced was a resident of this dead-end road hicktown i call home, a bystander heckled "show us your tooth".

i was appalled, and a couple years later got 'round to making an appointment with the dentist.
Australian rickshaw?

s-babs,
you might not think i know 'bout a holden. i test drove the yank version the other day, an '06 pontiac gto with the 400/400 6spd auto, goes like 70 in second. was quite ridiculous, with the ls-2 vette motor, sheer overkill.
the wife did not care for the toyota like looks, though.

stevebaby said:
Australian rickshaw?

us mericans have rotten teeth because there isn't a sink in front of the tv.;)
us mericans have rotten teeth because we expect uncle sam to maintain them for us after he powders our fat behinds.
us mericans have rotten teeth because because donuts and pizza are soft and we don't need teeth to eat soft food.

sometimes the truth hurts.