God, They're Fat - What Is Wrong With Americans?

You said it right, not a bad idea to "support", not impose, policies that discourage obesity and encourage responsibility and healthy lifestyles. Imposing policies to force people into a desired behaviour, usually end up in backfire. Fat people probably are going to keep their habits unchanged until some great encouragement push them to change it.

Haha I'm laughing so hard at this. I too have been a victim of an obese person sandwich and have been told "you need to eat more" when I am actually about 10 pounds heavier than I would like to be. I just looked and responded with "No, I like to be able to paint my own toes, thanks." And walked off. I used to smoke cigarettes as well and had an absolutely horrible day where I was basically a punching bag for everyone.I was in the smoking area, mind you, and this obese woman comes up and said "smoking will kill you, in case you didn't know that". I just looked at her dead in the eyes and said "Was that message endorsed by McDonalds or did you think of that one yourself?" Her rebuttal was "Men like their women big and beautiful" in which I replied with "Well, it's a good thing I married a woman than, isn't it?" I figured I had better walk away after that because one punch from her and I would have been on the ground in no time.

Yeah, you aren't funny. You were just being a jerk and weren't any better than the woman you were talking back to. Also the two issues aren't comparable.

I'm overweight Probably like 100 lbs overweight or close to it. It really sucks but yet I don't bother to exercise much anymore. I had lost a lot of weight until I got with my bf. He doesn't like to do much and I started sitting around with him all the time. Then something happened with us and I got all depressed and started emotional eating again and not exercising. I gained all my weight back and then some. I'm still eating when I'm bored, depressed, anxious etc.... And just to eat because it taste good. We have started trying to eat healthy. I did for a while then back to my bad habits. I think I do it because I am just generally unhappy with my relationship etc.... I know it's an excuse but I was doing so great before....

I'm overweight Probably like 100 lbs overweight or close to it. It really sucks but yet I don't bother to exercise much anymore. I had lost a lot of weight until I got with my bf. He doesn't like to do much and I started sitting around with him all the time. Then something happened with us and I got all depressed and started emotional eating again and not exercising. I gained all my weight back and then some. I'm still eating when I'm bored, depressed, anxious etc.... And just to eat because it taste good. We have started trying to eat healthy. I did for a while then back to my bad habits. I think I do it because I am just generally unhappy with my relationship etc.... I know it's an excuse but I was doing so great before....

Losing the weight is simple. It is increased activity, decreased calorie intake, and making sure the calories you do choose to eat come from healthy sources. Sticking to the plan is what can be tough. Don't ever try crash diets or fad programs. If you need support, things like sparkpeople (free), and weight watchers (paid) are best because they teach you to eat healthy for life instead of dieting and rebounding all the time. Having a doctor refer you to a dietitian is a good idea as well.

It also doesn't hurt to seek professional help for depression. Depression is a serious and treatable condition that you shouldn't feel bad for getting help with. It isn't any different than seeking help for an injury or any other illness and you shouldn't ignore it.

I would love to eat healthier than I already do, and stock my fridge with fresh fruits and vegetables. Sometimes I miss that because we are on a low income budget. Healthy foods are the most expensive items in the store, it seems... right behind just about any cut of meat. If you have a low budget you can only afford what is on sale, and very seldom do they put healthy stuff on sale, unless nobody has purchased it yet and it's about to rot. We have a grocery store where they sell, at a discounted price, fruits and veggies that are about an inch from going totally bad. I pick and choose and finally purchase things that have to be eaten very quickly, because that's the only way to save a little money. We are not on food stamps, but I have seen how people on the 'bridge card' eat... they pack up two or three carts with the most expensive stuff in the store and can have anything they want while the rest of us look on enviously. They also lug around those hugely expensive iPhone 6S's while paying for their food with taxpayer money. Yes, that makes me mad and I wish there was a little more fairness in the world, but there isn't. So, I am a bit overweight... okay, not 400 pounds or anything like that, but I can't always afford to eat healthy. We just do the best we can with what we have.

I would love to eat healthier than I already do, and stock my fridge with fresh fruits and vegetables. Sometimes I miss that because we are on a low income budget. Healthy foods are the most expensive items in the store, it seems... right behind just about any cut of meat. If you have a low budget you can only afford what is on sale, and very seldom do they put healthy stuff on sale, unless nobody has purchased it yet and it's about to rot. We have a grocery store where they sell, at a discounted price, fruits and veggies that are about an inch from going totally bad. I pick and choose and finally purchase things that have to be eaten very quickly, because that's the only way to save a little money. We are not on food stamps, but I have seen how people on the 'bridge card' eat... they pack up two or three carts with the most expensive stuff in the store and can have anything they want while the rest of us look on enviously. They also lug around those hugely expensive iPhone 6S's while paying for their food with taxpayer money. Yes, that makes me mad and I wish there was a little more fairness in the world, but there isn't. So, I am a bit overweight... okay, not 400 pounds or anything like that, but I can't always afford to eat healthy. We just do the best we can with what we have.

Your comments about people that need federal food benefits are not characteristic of the majority, and actually kind of offensive. I have been in a position to need this help in the past, and I certainly didn't do what you mentioned. I didn't have the money or enough help with the food stamps to even consider it. The food benefits issued to most that qualify aren't even enough to supplement a grocery budget, let alone replace it. Usually people on them are stuck buying cheap processed junk to survive on and still run short every month.

Your comments about people that need federal food benefits are not characteristic of the majority, and actually kind of offensive. I have been in a position to need this help in the past, and I certainly didn't do what you mentioned. I didn't have the money or enough help with the food stamps to even consider it. The food benefits issued to most that qualify aren't even enough to supplement a grocery budget, let alone replace it. Usually people on them are stuck buying cheap processed junk to survive on and still run short every month.
I have been in a position to need this help in the past myself... and could not get it. Yet, I still see the iPhone 6S in the possession of people who are buying food with stamps. Apparently here in Michigan, where I live, it's common to give people who are second, third and fourth generation welfare users, more benefits than anyone else gets. This is not helping those people break free from those bonds and is, in fact, helping to keep them bonded. By the way, I was not referring to people who actually NEED the help. I was referring to those who take advantage of the system and that should in no way, shape, or form, offend you.

I have been in a position to need this help in the past myself... and could not get it. Yet, I still see the iPhone 6S in the possession of people who are buying food with stamps. Apparently here in Michigan, where I live, it's common to give people who are second, third and fourth generation welfare users, more benefits than anyone else gets. This is not helping those people break free from those bonds and is, in fact, helping to keep them bonded. By the way, I was not referring to people who actually NEED the help. I was referring to those who take advantage of the system and that should in no way, shape, or form, offend you.

Alright. Fair I enough. I can concede to the fact that their are those that abuse the system.

Nothing wrong with american I think. the foods is the problem. :) Some restaurants or fast foods, serves unhealthy and fatty foods. People usually eat a lot and never consider if healthy or not. The government should be aware of this problem.

Nothing wrong with american I think. the foods is the problem. :) Some restaurants or fast foods, serves unhealthy and fatty foods. People usually eat a lot and never consider if healthy or not. The government should be aware of this problem.

I am sure they are but I place it completely on the individual and personal reponsibility. We don't need big brother telling us what to eat. I rarely eat out.

Not really to tell us what to eat, but to give more higher taxes for those unhealthy foods. So only people can afford that will suffer from finding something to wear with that size. :) I know it's really hard to find even a simple pants with that waistline. Lol.

One thing I noticed when I visited the US is that the serving sizes of everything are way bigger than the ones in my country. I thought it was similar across all fast food chains in the US and internationally, but everything from the meals to the soda has a larger portion size and for the same/ even lesser price.

During the early times there are not much of those food that are packed with loads of sugar and calories. Back when the people are still growing their own food. It is not a bad idea as some people are actually again choosing that route because that is how our great grand parents lived. It is a choice and the community can only do so much to help make the general public eat healthy
You're right, compare right now, that fast foods is the best source of foods, and yeah, very convenient, all you have to do is to eat. That's why the gym business is in-demand nowadays.