Why don't Roadies have bells on their bikes

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by 40ish, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. 40ish

    40ish Guest

    Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
    Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.

    So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    roadies are far less likely to be riding on shared paths, and besides they dont make a bell in carbon fibre :)

  3. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Was he talking about roadies or shared-pathies? :D

    Ritch

    PS. Neither are exempt - it's just that police have got better things to do than inspect bicycles for bells!

  4. "40ish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
    > Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
    >
    > So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

    It depends. During a road race most of the normal road rules are suspended.
    For example, you may ride more than two abreast and you may race. However,
    out of competetion they are obliged to follow the rules just like everyone
    else.
    The reality is that roadies think it's way uncool to carry a bell. Just as
    wheel reflectors and side stands would look uncool on a nice Bianchi racer.

    Marty

  5. ::dom::

    ::dom:: New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2004
    All that extra weight... are you kidding?

  6. "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > 40ish wrote:
    > > Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
    > > Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
    > >
    > > So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????
    > >

    > Got a voice

    I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that bikes
    have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be covered.

    Marty

  7. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Marty Wallace wrote:

    > "40ish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
    > > Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
    > >
    > > So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????
    > >

    > It depends. During a road race most of the normal road rules are suspended.
    > For example, you may ride more than two abreast and you may race. However,
    > out of competetion they are obliged to follow the rules just like everyone
    > else.
    > The reality is that roadies think it's way uncool to carry a bell. Just as
    > wheel reflectors and side stands would look uncool on a nice Bianchi racer.
    >
    > Marty

    Yep, but that bell and the wheel reflectors look WAY COOL on my
    learsport, man...

    I think the reality is that roadies think it's way too much hassle to
    put the bell on to ride to the race, then take the bell off to race,
    then put it back on to ride home.

  8. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    And the bike cops can't catch us on their MTB's.

  9. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    i thought you just yell
    "Bikes back!!!!"

  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    40ish wrote:
    > Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
    > Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
    >
    > So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

    The same reason that roadies have big wet skid-marks up their backs
    when it rains.

  11. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Marty Wallace wrote:

    [...]

    >> I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that
    >> bikes have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be
    >> covered.

    > Happy to fight that one in court.
    > Lets see a magistrate willing to go on record as claiming the voice is
    > not an audible warning device. lets compare dB output of a 75 cent
    > bell vs me.
    >
    > I know the laws an ass. Somehow I doubt tho that that one would make
    > it to court.

    Victorian Road Rules:

    258. Equipment on a bicycle

    A person must not ride a bicycle that does not have-
    (a) at least 1 effective brake; and
    (b) a bell, horn, or similar warning device, in working order.
    Penalty: 1 penalty unit.

    If you truly think you can convince a magistrate that your voice is a
    warning device similar to a horn or a bell then all I can say is you should
    simply give me your money now because I'll make better use of it.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  12. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > 40ish wrote:
    > > Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
    > > Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
    > >
    > > So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

    > The same reason that roadies have big wet skid-marks up their backs
    > when it rains.

    Oh come on, riding in the rain isn't that scary....

  13. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 02:15 GMT, DRS (aka Bruce)
    > If you truly think you can convince a magistrate that your voice is a
    > warning device similar to a horn or a bell then all I can say is you should
    > simply give me your money now because I'll make better use of it.

    I may not win, but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
    be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
    little "ding ding"'? For me, it takes at least a second to reach for
    the bell, so I can only use it when I can see someone well ahead. Even
    this morning, I rang it five times to a couple of peds on a bike
    track, and they didn't acknowledge or get out of the way, so I had to
    go around them in the mud (then up the track a little, I rang it
    twice, and got back a "thanks". Heh. I thought I was meant to say
    thanks!).

    Can you keep your witty comments shorter dude? I can't
    make that my sig! --Hipatia

  14. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 02:15 GMT, DRS (aka Bruce)
    >> If you truly think you can convince a magistrate that your voice is a
    >> warning device similar to a horn or a bell then all I can say is you
    >> should simply give me your money now because I'll make better use of
    >> it.

    > I may not win,

    That's a given.

    > but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
    > be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
    > little "ding ding"'? For me, it takes at least a second to reach for
    > the bell, so I can only use it when I can see someone well ahead. Even
    > this morning, I rang it five times to a couple of peds on a bike
    > track, and they didn't acknowledge or get out of the way, so I had to

    Air horn.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  15. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 02:52 GMT, DRS (aka Bruce)
    > "TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
    >> be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
    >> little "ding ding"'? For me, it takes at least a second to reach for
    >> the bell, so I can only use it when I can see someone well ahead. Even
    >> this morning, I rang it five times to a couple of peds on a bike
    >> track, and they didn't acknowledge or get out of the way, so I had to

    > Air horn.

    Klaxon.

    I would also love a 50W halogen, and a surface to ground
    missile. Imagine that - some maroon overtakes you, then swerves, slams
    on the brakes, and starts reversing into a car park in front of
    you. Reach down, touch the button, all while not even putting on the
    brakes yourself yet, and then, wham! Vapourised car. Hold your breath
    for a second, perhaps close you eyes (if the fireball is still
    present) and proceed on through.

    Pity the "spike bike" series wasn't longer. It only took me a few
    hours one rainy day to read.

    If anyone tells me to work smarter, not harder, I will kick him
    or her, hard, in a random body part. I will then kick him or her
    a second time, "smarter, not harder," which is to say that on the
    second strike, I'll use the same force, but target more carefully.
    -- Catherine in Scary Devil Monastery

  16. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "40ish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
    > Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
    > So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

    Peds shouldn't need a warning on the road... because they
    all cross at the lights with a green man don't they? ;-)

    no bells hippy

  17. velomanct

    velomanct New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,054
    this is a joke right?

    ROTFLMAO

  18. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > 40ish wrote:
    > > > Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
    > > > Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
    > > >
    > > > So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????
    > > >

    > > Got a voice

    > I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that bikes
    > have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be covered.

    We just pay the fines with our race winnings...

    "no race winnings" hippy

  19. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 04:38 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
    > "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that bikes
    >> have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be covered.

    > We just pay the fines with our race winnings...
    >
    > "no race winnings" hippy

    The point of the race is to come first, not last! Unless you wanted
    that wooden spoon :)

    Speaker: They used an alcohol fog to visualize what's happening.
    From the audience: That's always worked for me. -- From an astronomy talk

  20. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    TimC wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 04:38 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
    > > "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >> I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that bikes
    > >> have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be covered.

    > > We just pay the fines with our race winnings...
    > >
    > > "no race winnings" hippy

    > The point of the race is to come first, not last! Unless you wanted
    > that wooden spoon :)

    That can come in handy when carbo-loading for your next race, you can
    use it when cooking spaghetti. Oh wait, that's endurance athletes.