Why don't Roadies have bells on their bikes

4

40ish

Guest
Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.

So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

40ish said:
Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.

So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????
roadies are far less likely to be riding on shared paths, and besides they dont make a bell in carbon fibre :)

flyingdutch said:
roadies are far less likely to be riding on shared paths, and besides they dont make a bell in carbon fibre :)

Was he talking about roadies or shared-pathies? :D

Ritch

PS. Neither are exempt - it's just that police have got better things to do than inspect bicycles for bells!

"40ish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
> Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
>
> So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

It depends. During a road race most of the normal road rules are suspended.
For example, you may ride more than two abreast and you may race. However,
out of competetion they are obliged to follow the rules just like everyone
else.
The reality is that roadies think it's way uncool to carry a bell. Just as
wheel reflectors and side stands would look uncool on a nice Bianchi racer.

Marty

40ish said:
Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.

So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

All that extra weight... are you kidding?

"dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 40ish wrote:
> > Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
> > Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
> >
> > So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????
> >

> Got a voice

I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that bikes
have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be covered.

Marty

Marty Wallace wrote:

> "40ish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
> > Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
> >
> > So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????
> >

> It depends. During a road race most of the normal road rules are suspended.
> For example, you may ride more than two abreast and you may race. However,
> out of competetion they are obliged to follow the rules just like everyone
> else.
> The reality is that roadies think it's way uncool to carry a bell. Just as
> wheel reflectors and side stands would look uncool on a nice Bianchi racer.
>
> Marty

Yep, but that bell and the wheel reflectors look WAY COOL on my
learsport, man...

I think the reality is that roadies think it's way too much hassle to
put the bell on to ride to the race, then take the bell off to race,
then put it back on to ride home.

ritcho said:
Was he talking about roadies or shared-pathies? :D

Ritch

PS. Neither are exempt - it's just that police have got better things to do than inspect bicycles for bells!

And the bike cops can't catch us on their MTB's.

dave said:
40ish wrote:
> Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
> Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
>
> So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

Got a voice
i thought you just yell
"Bikes back!!!!"

40ish wrote:
> Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
> Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
>
> So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

The same reason that roadies have big wet skid-marks up their backs
when it rains.

"dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Marty Wallace wrote:

[...]

>> I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that
>> bikes have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be
>> covered.

> Happy to fight that one in court.
> Lets see a magistrate willing to go on record as claiming the voice is
> not an audible warning device. lets compare dB output of a 75 cent
> bell vs me.
>
> I know the laws an ass. Somehow I doubt tho that that one would make
> it to court.

Victorian Road Rules:

258. Equipment on a bicycle

A person must not ride a bicycle that does not have-
(a) at least 1 effective brake; and
(b) a bell, horn, or similar warning device, in working order.
Penalty: 1 penalty unit.

If you truly think you can convince a magistrate that your voice is a
warning device similar to a horn or a bell then all I can say is you should
simply give me your money now because I'll make better use of it.

--

A: Top-posters.

Mike wrote:

> 40ish wrote:
> > Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
> > Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
> >
> > So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

> The same reason that roadies have big wet skid-marks up their backs
> when it rains.

Oh come on, riding in the rain isn't that scary....

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 02:15 GMT, DRS (aka Bruce)
> If you truly think you can convince a magistrate that your voice is a
> warning device similar to a horn or a bell then all I can say is you should
> simply give me your money now because I'll make better use of it.

I may not win, but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
little "ding ding"'? For me, it takes at least a second to reach for
the bell, so I can only use it when I can see someone well ahead. Even
this morning, I rang it five times to a couple of peds on a bike
track, and they didn't acknowledge or get out of the way, so I had to
go around them in the mud (then up the track a little, I rang it
twice, and got back a "thanks". Heh. I thought I was meant to say
thanks!).

Can you keep your witty comments shorter dude? I can't
make that my sig! --Hipatia

"TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:[email protected]
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 02:15 GMT, DRS (aka Bruce)
>> If you truly think you can convince a magistrate that your voice is a
>> warning device similar to a horn or a bell then all I can say is you
>> should simply give me your money now because I'll make better use of
>> it.

> I may not win,

That's a given.

> but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
> be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
> little "ding ding"'? For me, it takes at least a second to reach for
> the bell, so I can only use it when I can see someone well ahead. Even
> this morning, I rang it five times to a couple of peds on a bike
> track, and they didn't acknowledge or get out of the way, so I had to

Air horn.

--

A: Top-posters.

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 02:52 GMT, DRS (aka Bruce)
> "TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]
>> but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
>> be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
>> little "ding ding"'? For me, it takes at least a second to reach for
>> the bell, so I can only use it when I can see someone well ahead. Even
>> this morning, I rang it five times to a couple of peds on a bike
>> track, and they didn't acknowledge or get out of the way, so I had to

> Air horn.

Klaxon.

I would also love a 50W halogen, and a surface to ground
missile. Imagine that - some maroon overtakes you, then swerves, slams
on the brakes, and starts reversing into a car park in front of
you. Reach down, touch the button, all while not even putting on the
brakes yourself yet, and then, wham! Vapourised car. Hold your breath
for a second, perhaps close you eyes (if the fireball is still
present) and proceed on through.

Pity the "spike bike" series wasn't longer. It only took me a few
hours one rainy day to read.

If anyone tells me to work smarter, not harder, I will kick him
or her, hard, in a random body part. I will then kick him or her
a second time, "smarter, not harder," which is to say that on the
second strike, I'll use the same force, but target more carefully.
-- Catherine in Scary Devil Monastery

"40ish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
> Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
> So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

Peds shouldn't need a warning on the road... because they
all cross at the lights with a green man don't they? ;-)

no bells hippy

40ish said:
Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.

So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????
this is a joke right?

ROTFLMAO

"Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote
> "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > 40ish wrote:
> > > Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
> > > Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
> > >
> > > So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????
> > >

> > Got a voice

> I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that bikes
> have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be covered.

We just pay the fines with our race winnings...

"no race winnings" hippy

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 04:38 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
> "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote
>> I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that bikes
>> have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be covered.

> We just pay the fines with our race winnings...
>
> "no race winnings" hippy

The point of the race is to come first, not last! Unless you wanted
that wooden spoon :)

Speaker: They used an alcohol fog to visualize what's happening.
From the audience: That's always worked for me. -- From an astronomy talk

TimC wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 04:38 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
> > "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote
> >> I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that bikes
> >> have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be covered.

> > We just pay the fines with our race winnings...
> >
> > "no race winnings" hippy

> The point of the race is to come first, not last! Unless you wanted
> that wooden spoon :)

That can come in handy when carbo-loading for your next race, you can
use it when cooking spaghetti. Oh wait, that's endurance athletes.