Why don't Roadies have bells on their bikes

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by 40ish, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "TimC" <[email protected]
    > I may not win, but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
    > be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
    > little "ding ding"'?

    Change the law by arguing that it's safer to have both
    hands operating the brakes rather than a bell. Using
    your voice as the "warning device" frees your hands
    for emergency action..

    still no bell hippy

  2. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 06:16 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
    > "TimC" <[email protected]
    >> I may not win, but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
    >> be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
    >> little "ding ding"'?

    > Change the law by arguing that it's safer to have both
    > hands operating the brakes rather than a bell. Using
    > your voice as the "warning device" frees your hands
    > for emergency action..

    If the police pulled me over for not indicating when turning right
    over a tramline, I'd probably also argue that it is *much* safer for
    me to not indicate, and just go when it is only safe to, than to take
    one hand off the handebars and indicate. I've fallen off almost into
    oncoming traffic once before with both hands *on*. Then there's the
    issue of extending ones hand to the right into oncoming
    traffic. Dammit. Lost my arm again :)

    "Perhaps the truth is less interesting than the facts?"
    -- Amy Weiss, RIAA's Senior Vice President of Propogander^WCommunications

  3. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    TimC wrote:

    > If the police pulled me over for not indicating when turning right
    > over a tramline, I'd probably also argue that it is *much* safer for
    > me to not indicate, and just go when it is only safe to, than to take
    > one hand off the handebars and indicate. I've fallen off almost into
    > oncoming traffic once before with both hands *on*. Then there's the
    > issue of extending ones hand to the right into oncoming
    > traffic. Dammit. Lost my arm again :)

    Yep and that would be why hand signals for turns on bikes are optional
    (in Vic anyway, can't be bothered looking up the exact wording)

    DaveB

  4. >>>>> "hippy" == hippy <[email protected]> writes:

    hippy> Peds shouldn't need a warning on the road... because they all
    hippy> cross at the lights with a green man don't they? ;-)

    Only if the lights or crossing are within 20M of where the pedestrian
    wants to cross.
    --
    Regards
    Euan

  5. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    DaveB wrote:
    > TimC wrote:
    >

    >> If the police pulled me over for not indicating when turning right
    >> over a tramline, I'd probably also argue that it is *much* safer for
    >> me to not indicate, and just go when it is only safe to, than to take
    >> one hand off the handebars and indicate. I've fallen off almost into
    >> oncoming traffic once before with both hands *on*. Then there's the
    >> issue of extending ones hand to the right into oncoming
    >> traffic. Dammit. Lost my arm again :)
    >>

    > Yep and that would be why hand signals for turns on bikes are optional
    > (in Vic anyway, can't be bothered looking up the exact wording)
    >
    > DaveB

    Last time I looked, left turn signals were optional and right
    signals weren't.

    --
    Nick

  6. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 08:43 GMT, NickZX6R (aka Bruce)
    > DaveB wrote:
    >> TimC wrote:
    >>> issue of extending ones hand to the right into oncoming
    >>> traffic. Dammit. Lost my arm again :)
    >>>

    >> Yep and that would be why hand signals for turns on bikes are optional
    >> (in Vic anyway, can't be bothered looking up the exact wording)
    >>
    >> DaveB
    >>

    > Last time I looked, left turn signals were optional and right
    > signals weren't.

    That was my understanding.

    "Eddies in the space time continuum"
    "Oh. Is he?" -- Zem?

  7. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 08:43 GMT, NickZX6R (aka Bruce)
    >
    >>DaveB wrote:

    >>>Yep and that would be why hand signals for turns on bikes are optional
    >>>(in Vic anyway, can't be bothered looking up the exact wording)
    >>>
    >>>DaveB
    >>>

    >>Last time I looked, left turn signals were optional and right
    >>signals weren't.

    > That was my understanding.

    Squelch (the sound of me falling on my sword). I stand corrected (and
    checked on vicroads site). Seems crazy to me though. There are a couple
    of right-turns on my way home and there is no way known I'm taking my
    hands off the bars and brakes at those spots, especially the downhill
    ones. Oh well add that to the list of illegalities on my commute.

    DaveB

  8. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    I've got the Carbon fibre shelled bell with the drilled titanium dinger inside it. beautiful piece of engineering, especially when you can buy the bell-enhanced Ergolever that has a little button for activation of the bell without taking your hands off the hoods. problem is that the bell doesn't make any noise:)

    ...and it only cost $500! I hear that there is a lighter model coming too:-(

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > besides they dont make a bell in carbon fibre

    I smell an opportunity -- the plastic freaks would be torn between
    looking cool and looking cool...

    --
    Shane Stanley

  10. K&C Russell

    K&C Russell Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    > hippy> Peds shouldn't need a warning on the road... because they all
    > hippy> cross at the lights with a green man don't they? ;-)
    >
    > Only if the lights or crossing are within 20M of where the pedestrian
    > wants to cross.
    > --
    > Regards
    > Euan

    Gotta love the piddlestrian I got a couple of weeks ago in Ivanhoe. Walked
    right in front of commuter MTB - No Bell, Just Yell. piddlestrian panics in
    her strappy little shoes, tries to stop, rips straps out of soles trying to
    avoid being run over by "friendly" cyclist. They were lovely shoes
    ....Chuckle. as she hobbled away. I don't think she will do that again.

    Kev

  11. dave

    dave Guest

    40ish wrote:
    > Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
    > Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
    >
    > So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

    Got a voice

  12. "ProfTournesol" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:p[email protected]

    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    > > roadies are far less likely to be riding on shared paths, and besides
    > > they dont make a bell in carbon fibre :)

    > I've got the Carbon fibre shelled bell with the drilled titanium dinger
    > inside it. beautiful piece of engineering, especially when you can buy
    > the bell-enhanced Ergolever that has a little button for activation of
    > the bell without taking your hands off the hoods. problem is that the
    > bell doesn't make any noise:)
    >

    > --
    > ProfTournesol

    Is that the standard round bell or is it the tear drop shaped one with the
    golf ball type dimples?

    Marty

  13. dave

    dave Guest

    Marty Wallace wrote:
    > "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>40ish wrote:
    >>
    >>>Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
    >>>Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
    >>>
    >>>So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????
    >>>

    >>Got a voice

    > I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that bikes
    > have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be covered.
    >
    > Marty

    Happy to fight that one in court.
    Lets see a magistrate willing to go on record as claiming the voice is
    not an audible warning device. lets compare dB output of a 75 cent
    bell vs me.

    I know the laws an ass. Somehow I doubt tho that that one would make it
    to court.

    Dave

  14. dave

    dave Guest

    byron27 wrote:
    > dave Wrote:
    >
    >>40ish wrote:
    >>
    >>>Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
    >>>Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
    >>>
    >>>So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????
    >>>

    >>Got a voice

    > i thought you just yell
    > "Bikes back!!!!"

    Never driven in fron of me in a car hey :).
    Try "You Yes you the dopey git in the rat yellow commodoor" "Yes you
    the stupid bastard everyones looking at." Loud enough to draw the
    attention of the traffic cops.

    The problem with yelling "bikes back" to cars is many of em have no idea
    such things exist. But one meets the same cretins on bike tracks too.
    And sometimes teaching little jimmy to ride on a race track.:)

  15. dave

    dave Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 02:15 GMT, DRS (aka Bruce)
    >
    >>If you truly think you can convince a magistrate that your voice is a
    >>warning device similar to a horn or a bell then all I can say is you should
    >>simply give me your money now because I'll make better use of it.

    > I may not win, but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
    > be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
    > little "ding ding"'? For me, it takes at least a second to reach for
    > the bell, so I can only use it when I can see someone well ahead. Even
    > this morning, I rang it five times to a couple of peds on a bike
    > track, and they didn't acknowledge or get out of the way, so I had to
    > go around them in the mud (then up the track a little, I rang it
    > twice, and got back a "thanks". Heh. I thought I was meant to say
    > thanks!).

    Yep.
    Tell ya what I,ll bet TimC a tenner that face to face I can get him to
    step back .. just using my voice. He can bet me the same $10 that I
    dont step back when he ding dings me. (After his ears stop bleeding) A
    magistrate with any brains (yeah it aint all of them.. is that
    aboriginal woman still on the bench?) is gunna say "Guilty..no
    conviction recorded" And most cops know it. And would seriously cop
    shit from their mates after.

    David who beat a conviction in pyalong for u turning over double white
    lines in pouring rain in the middle of the night on a deserted country
    road, alas in front of the universaly disliked and anal local copper.
    when next morning showed just the faintest trace of paint on the road.

  16. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "TimC" <[email protected]
    > hippy said
    > > We just pay the fines with our race winnings...
    > > "no race winnings" hippy

    > The point of the race is to come first, not last! Unless you wanted
    > that wooden spoon :)

    Coming last is fine.. it means I was in the wrong grade or
    I'm set for big improvement. Coming in 6th or so sucks
    because you're 'so close' to the cash.. uh.. I mean glory :)

    hippy

  17. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]
    > TimC wrote:
    >>> hippy
    > > > We just pay the fines with our race winnings...
    > > > "no race winnings" hippy

    > > The point of the race is to come first, not last! Unless you wanted
    > > that wooden spoon :)

    > That can come in handy when carbo-loading for your next race, you can
    > use it when cooking spaghetti. Oh wait, that's endurance athletes.

    Are you insinuating that I'm not a stayer?
    Do we have to dig out our training logs and
    compare kays? ;-)

    hippy

  18. Unregistered

    Unregistered Guest

    "40ish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected].
    > Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
    > Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
    >
    > So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

    Because it looks pathetic.....and every gram of weight counts.

  19. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=photos/2004/oct04/negie24/MS011

    No Hippy in sight, maybe you need to start the sprint near the front!

  20. Unregistered

    Unregistered Guest

    "Shabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > ritcho Wrote:
    > > Was he talking about roadies or shared-pathies? :D
    > >
    > > Ritch
    > >
    > > PS. Neither are exempt - it's just that police have got better things
    > > to do than inspect bicycles for bells!

    > And the bike cops can't catch us on their MTB's.
    >

    > --
    > Shabby

    LOL....