Why don't Roadies have bells on their bikes

"TimC" <[email protected]
> I may not win, but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
> be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
> little "ding ding"'?

Change the law by arguing that it's safer to have both
hands operating the brakes rather than a bell. Using
your voice as the "warning device" frees your hands
for emergency action..

still no bell hippy

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 06:16 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
> "TimC" <[email protected]
>> I may not win, but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
>> be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
>> little "ding ding"'?

> Change the law by arguing that it's safer to have both
> hands operating the brakes rather than a bell. Using
> your voice as the "warning device" frees your hands
> for emergency action..

If the police pulled me over for not indicating when turning right
over a tramline, I'd probably also argue that it is *much* safer for
me to not indicate, and just go when it is only safe to, than to take
one hand off the handebars and indicate. I've fallen off almost into
oncoming traffic once before with both hands *on*. Then there's the
issue of extending ones hand to the right into oncoming
traffic. Dammit. Lost my arm again :)

"Perhaps the truth is less interesting than the facts?"
-- Amy Weiss, RIAA's Senior Vice President of Propogander^WCommunications

TimC wrote:

> If the police pulled me over for not indicating when turning right
> over a tramline, I'd probably also argue that it is *much* safer for
> me to not indicate, and just go when it is only safe to, than to take
> one hand off the handebars and indicate. I've fallen off almost into
> oncoming traffic once before with both hands *on*. Then there's the
> issue of extending ones hand to the right into oncoming
> traffic. Dammit. Lost my arm again :)

Yep and that would be why hand signals for turns on bikes are optional
(in Vic anyway, can't be bothered looking up the exact wording)

DaveB

hippy> Peds shouldn't need a warning on the road... because they all
hippy> cross at the lights with a green man don't they? ;-)

Only if the lights or crossing are within 20M of where the pedestrian
wants to cross.
--
Regards
Euan

DaveB wrote:
> TimC wrote:
>

>> If the police pulled me over for not indicating when turning right
>> over a tramline, I'd probably also argue that it is *much* safer for
>> me to not indicate, and just go when it is only safe to, than to take
>> one hand off the handebars and indicate. I've fallen off almost into
>> oncoming traffic once before with both hands *on*. Then there's the
>> issue of extending ones hand to the right into oncoming
>> traffic. Dammit. Lost my arm again :)
>>

> Yep and that would be why hand signals for turns on bikes are optional
> (in Vic anyway, can't be bothered looking up the exact wording)
>
> DaveB

Last time I looked, left turn signals were optional and right
signals weren't.

--
Nick

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 08:43 GMT, NickZX6R (aka Bruce)
> DaveB wrote:
>> TimC wrote:
>>> issue of extending ones hand to the right into oncoming
>>> traffic. Dammit. Lost my arm again :)
>>>

>> Yep and that would be why hand signals for turns on bikes are optional
>> (in Vic anyway, can't be bothered looking up the exact wording)
>>
>> DaveB
>>

> Last time I looked, left turn signals were optional and right
> signals weren't.

That was my understanding.

"Eddies in the space time continuum"
"Oh. Is he?" -- Zem?

TimC wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 08:43 GMT, NickZX6R (aka Bruce)
>
>>DaveB wrote:

>>>Yep and that would be why hand signals for turns on bikes are optional
>>>(in Vic anyway, can't be bothered looking up the exact wording)
>>>
>>>DaveB
>>>

>>Last time I looked, left turn signals were optional and right
>>signals weren't.

> That was my understanding.

Squelch (the sound of me falling on my sword). I stand corrected (and
checked on vicroads site). Seems crazy to me though. There are a couple
of right-turns on my way home and there is no way known I'm taking my
hands off the bars and brakes at those spots, especially the downhill
ones. Oh well add that to the list of illegalities on my commute.

DaveB

flyingdutch said:
roadies are far less likely to be riding on shared paths, and besides they dont make a bell in carbon fibre :)

I've got the Carbon fibre shelled bell with the drilled titanium dinger inside it. beautiful piece of engineering, especially when you can buy the bell-enhanced Ergolever that has a little button for activation of the bell without taking your hands off the hoods. problem is that the bell doesn't make any noise:)

...and it only cost $500! I hear that there is a lighter model coming too:-(

In article <[email protected]>,
flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

> besides they dont make a bell in carbon fibre

I smell an opportunity -- the plastic freaks would be torn between
looking cool and looking cool...

--
Shane Stanley

> hippy> Peds shouldn't need a warning on the road... because they all
> hippy> cross at the lights with a green man don't they? ;-)
>
> Only if the lights or crossing are within 20M of where the pedestrian
> wants to cross.
> --
> Regards
> Euan

Gotta love the piddlestrian I got a couple of weeks ago in Ivanhoe. Walked
right in front of commuter MTB - No Bell, Just Yell. piddlestrian panics in
her strappy little shoes, tries to stop, rips straps out of soles trying to
avoid being run over by "friendly" cyclist. They were lovely shoes
....Chuckle. as she hobbled away. I don't think she will do that again.

Kev

40ish wrote:
> Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
> Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
>
> So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

Got a voice

"ProfTournesol" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:p[email protected]...

> flyingdutch Wrote:
> > roadies are far less likely to be riding on shared paths, and besides
> > they dont make a bell in carbon fibre :)

> I've got the Carbon fibre shelled bell with the drilled titanium dinger
> inside it. beautiful piece of engineering, especially when you can buy
> the bell-enhanced Ergolever that has a little button for activation of
> the bell without taking your hands off the hoods. problem is that the
> bell doesn't make any noise:)
>

> --
> ProfTournesol

Is that the standard round bell or is it the tear drop shaped one with the
golf ball type dimples?

Marty

Marty Wallace wrote:
> "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>40ish wrote:
>>
>>>Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
>>>Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
>>>
>>>So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????
>>>

>>Got a voice

> I think he meant from a legal point of view. The law requires that bikes
> have an audible warning device. Your voice doesn't seem to be covered.
>
> Marty

Happy to fight that one in court.
Lets see a magistrate willing to go on record as claiming the voice is
not an audible warning device. lets compare dB output of a 75 cent
bell vs me.

I know the laws an ass. Somehow I doubt tho that that one would make it
to court.

Dave

byron27 wrote:
> dave Wrote:
>
>>40ish wrote:
>>
>>>Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
>>>Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
>>>
>>>So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????
>>>

>>Got a voice

> i thought you just yell
> "Bikes back!!!!"

Never driven in fron of me in a car hey :).
Try "You Yes you the dopey git in the rat yellow commodoor" "Yes you
the stupid ******* everyones looking at." Loud enough to draw the
attention of the traffic cops.

The problem with yelling "bikes back" to cars is many of em have no idea
such things exist. But one meets the same cretins on bike tracks too.
And sometimes teaching little jimmy to ride on a race track.:)

TimC wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 02:15 GMT, DRS (aka Bruce)
>
>>If you truly think you can convince a magistrate that your voice is a
>>warning device similar to a horn or a bell then all I can say is you should
>>simply give me your money now because I'll make better use of it.

> I may not win, but I'd say 'What's quicker to do, and more likely to
> be heard: A "Hey, idiot, watch where you're going!", or a polite
> little "ding ding"'? For me, it takes at least a second to reach for
> the bell, so I can only use it when I can see someone well ahead. Even
> this morning, I rang it five times to a couple of peds on a bike
> track, and they didn't acknowledge or get out of the way, so I had to
> go around them in the mud (then up the track a little, I rang it
> twice, and got back a "thanks". Heh. I thought I was meant to say
> thanks!).

Yep.
Tell ya what I,ll bet TimC a tenner that face to face I can get him to
step back .. just using my voice. He can bet me the same $10 that I
dont step back when he ding dings me. (After his ears stop bleeding) A
magistrate with any brains (yeah it aint all of them.. is that
aboriginal woman still on the bench?) is gunna say "Guilty..no
conviction recorded" And most cops know it. And would seriously cop
**** from their mates after.

David who beat a conviction in pyalong for u turning over double white
lines in pouring rain in the middle of the night on a deserted country
road, alas in front of the universaly disliked and anal local copper.
when next morning showed just the faintest trace of paint on the road.

"TimC" <[email protected]
> hippy said
> > We just pay the fines with our race winnings...
> > "no race winnings" hippy

> The point of the race is to come first, not last! Unless you wanted
> that wooden spoon :)

Coming last is fine.. it means I was in the wrong grade or
I'm set for big improvement. Coming in 6th or so sucks
because you're 'so close' to the cash.. uh.. I mean glory :)

hippy

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]
> TimC wrote:
>>> hippy
> > > We just pay the fines with our race winnings...
> > > "no race winnings" hippy

> > The point of the race is to come first, not last! Unless you wanted
> > that wooden spoon :)

> That can come in handy when carbo-loading for your next race, you can
> use it when cooking spaghetti. Oh wait, that's endurance athletes.

Are you insinuating that I'm not a stayer?
Do we have to dig out our training logs and
compare kays? ;-)

hippy

"40ish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
> Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
>
> So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

Because it looks pathetic.....and every gram of weight counts.

hippy said:
"TimC" <[email protected]
> hippy said
> > We just pay the fines with our race winnings...
> > "no race winnings" hippy

> The point of the race is to come first, not last! Unless you wanted
> that wooden spoon :)

Coming last is fine.. it means I was in the wrong grade or
I'm set for big improvement. Coming in 6th or so sucks
because you're 'so close' to the cash.. uh.. I mean glory :)

hippy

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=photos/2004/oct04/negie24/MS011

No Hippy in sight, maybe you need to start the sprint near the front!

"Shabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> ritcho Wrote:
> > Was he talking about roadies or shared-pathies? :D
> >
> > Ritch
> >
> > PS. Neither are exempt - it's just that police have got better things
> > to do than inspect bicycles for bells!

> And the bike cops can't catch us on their MTB's.
>

> --
> Shabby

LOL....