Why Is Having A Teammate Alongside You On A Climb Important?

JamesAA

Aug 10, 2013
Phil and Paul were talking about the GC leaders being benefited by having a teammate along with them on the big climbs--such as Froome having Porte, Quintana having Valverde, Van Garderen having Samuel Sanchez, etc.

I assume it's for pace making purposes but can't Teejay Van Garderen just use one of the leaders in front of him as a pace maker? Why would he need Samuel Sanchez specifically?

You need a guy that will pull at your pace and not take advantage of you if they perceive a weakness at a given moment. You can certainly wheel suck other teams if your legs will carry you. It is about timing and opportunity. If you are alone and up against two guys they make attack and try and bury you. They have the advantage of surprise. The lead out guy sacrifices himself and you expend your energy closing the gap alone leaving the protected rider to ride away, in theory.

Good points. It's so interesting the more I learn about competition team cycling. When I first started watching, and knew nothing about it, I only tuned in for the views. But now that I am learning a little more about the strategy and techniques of cycling, I find it to be a highly entertaining sport to watch.

Too bad you can't here the radion traffic and the conversations between the riders. That would be interesting.