having a great time!!

Greynight

Sep 20, 2006
I bought a bike from a friend who was cleaning out his garage recently and have become addicted to biking. The bike is a Dawes and has base line shimano compenents, but is good enough to suit my purposes. I have tried to be an avid runner for the past few years but have found that my 210lb frame just does not function well after about 6-8 miles. Biking has proved to be much easier on my body and allows me to exercise for longer periods of time at a greater frequency. I'm dropping weight at a rate of about 2 lbs per week and have already set goals to get some good gear and a better bike once a I reach key weights and mileages over the next year.
I just wanted to send a quick hello to the forums telling you guys and girls how enjoyable it is to read your posts (most of em anyway) and how valuable the information posted on here has been over the last 3 weeks. Nearly every question I've had I've found the answer to by doing a search. Just did a 30 mile ride today and though I'm a bit tired, I'm feeling great and ready to do it again tomorrow. Have a good one everybody.

Greynight said:
I bought a bike from a friend who was cleaning out his garage recently and have become addicted to biking. The bike is a Dawes and has base line shimano compenents, but is good enough to suit my purposes. I have tried to be an avid runner for the past few years but have found that my 210lb frame just does not function well after about 6-8 miles. Biking has proved to be much easier on my body and allows me to exercise for longer periods of time at a greater frequency. I'm dropping weight at a rate of about 2 lbs per week and have already set goals to get some good gear and a better bike once a I reach key weights and mileages over the next year.
I just wanted to send a quick hello to the forums telling you guys and girls how enjoyable it is to read your posts (most of em anyway) and how valuable the information posted on here has been over the last 3 weeks. Nearly every question I've had I've found the answer to by doing a search. Just did a 30 mile ride today and though I'm a bit tired, I'm feeling great and ready to do it again tomorrow. Have a good one everybody.
I think I bought the same bike, is it a Dawes Lighting Sport? I bought mine recently off of ebay and I love it...

e0richt said:
I think I bought the same bike, is it a Dawes Lighting Sport? I bought mine recently off of ebay and I love it...
yup, a Dawe's Lightning 1200. My friend had only put 10 miles on it from a ride he went on when he bought it. It's been sitting in his garage every since. I upgraded the pedals to shimano ultegra and got some Nike Altea II's and have had no problems with the bike. It runs very smoothly and is fairly light with the double butted aluminum frame. Hope you're having the same success with yours.

Greynight said:
yup, a Dawe's Lightning 1200. My friend had only put 10 miles on it from a ride he went on when he bought it. It's been sitting in his garage every since. I upgraded the pedals to shimano ultegra and got some Nike Altea II's and have had no problems with the bike. It runs very smoothly and is fairly light with the double butted aluminum frame. Hope you're having the same success with yours.
the only things I have added to the bike were: I added a bontrager saddle that I had laying around from my hybrid I bought awhile ago, I liked the original velo seat but the bontrager is more comfy (I can ride without bike shorts and still be good to go...) and I added a stem extender so that the bar is in a much more comfortable position and I can "hit the drops" every now and then...

The only thing I want to change on it now is I want to move the break levers up on the bar (my personal preference) so I will have to take the tape off, move the levers and retape...

I have about 300 miles on it in the past month and a half...
It is soooo much better than the hybrid for riding on the road... I was able to go out for a group ride (c/d level) and easily keep up because of how responsive the bike was...

I think I may also wind up getting a new stem, as I think my riding position is a little too low. Otherwise though, having no problems. I hope to break 110 miles this week!

Just noticed your this thread, Maybe one of you guys can let me know a bit more about your Dawes 1200.

The new Dawes 1200 is out and I'm thinking of buying one. I just can't seem to get anyone who has posted information on the weight (I'm looking at a 54cm). Have you ever weighed your bike to see how it compares to others? I have heard that the Dawes USA stuff is a bit heavier than other comparable models with similar components.

BTW - what year and size is your's?

Any info you have will be greatly appreciated. In case you are interested in what the new 2008 Dawes 1200 looks like, here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-ALUMINUM-C...ryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks!

Dave

daveydave said:
Just noticed your this thread, Maybe one of you guys can let me know a bit more about your Dawes 1200.

The new Dawes 1200 is out and I'm thinking of buying one. I just can't seem to get anyone who has posted information on the weight (I'm looking at a 54cm). Have you ever weighed your bike to see how it compares to others? I have heard that the Dawes USA stuff is a bit heavier than other comparable models with similar components.

BTW - what year and size is your's?

Any info you have will be greatly appreciated. In case you are interested in what the new 2008 Dawes 1200 looks like, here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-ALUMINUM-CARBON-ROAD-RACING-BIKE-SHIMANO-24-SPD_W0QQitemZ150139916519QQihZ005QQcategoryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks!

Dave
mine is a 56 cm (if i remember correctly...) I picked the one for a 5'9'' height... and my frame is steel so the bike you are looking at is going to be lighter (maybe not tour de france lighter...). mine has 14 speeds and uses a stem shifter... yours has the sti shifters which is pretty cool and at least uses the 8 sp in the back...

I guess the most useful thing I can say about the seller is that I did get a quality bike for a lot less money than going to an LBS... I have put on 800 miles on mine and I have had no regrets buying it.

eORicht,

Thanks for the information. I'm very happy to hear you are enjoying your bike. I have yet to read anyone who has an on-line bargain bike who has been extremely disappointed. Maybe the only forum members here are bike shop dealers who who have something huge at stake.

Even though your's is steel, have you ever weighed it? What year was it? I assume it's straight-bar and not compact? Heck, I'm riding a 1982 Panasonic that's 30lbs right now - just trying to get back in good shape. At 25 years old, it's still a good ride, I just want something with more updated components and somewhat lighter.

> so the bike you are looking at is going to be lighter (maybe not tour de france lighter...).

Well, it's the sound of the instrument that makes it good. I could care if I have a name bike. I don't need a 17lbs bike like Lance Armstrong. I'm more in the market for a bike that is suited for Tyler Hamilton's "phantom twin." :) 22 - 25 would be fine.

You know, there has been a lot of bashing on buying a bike via an on-line retailer. Sure, it's a chance. However, like many people, I'm looking for a moderate upgrade from a 25 year old bike to something under $500. I don't have all summer for the right used bike to show up on craigstlist or on ebay for a couple of hundred off. No matter what I look at in stores, I'm faced with entry level stuff no lower than 550 dollars with **** components, and 700 bucks for something I moderately like (sequioa, trek 1000, felt z90) but can get in an ebay purchased bike for < $400.

I'm also pretty mechanically inclined and have a buddy who was a bike tech for years who will tweak it out. I don't know. I'm probably an idiot according to the average forum reader, but I don't think I should be spending $1000 on a bike when my frame needs 15 - 20 lbs off of it, more than the bike needs those last 5 - 10 lbs.

Just my 2 cents.

dave

e0richt said:
mine is a 56 cm (if i remember correctly...) I picked the one for a 5'9'' height... and my frame is steel so the bike you are looking at is going to be lighter (maybe not tour de france lighter...). mine has 14 speeds and uses a stem shifter... yours has the sti shifters which is pretty cool and at least uses the 8 sp in the back...

I guess the most useful thing I can say about the seller is that I did get a quality bike for a lot less money than going to an LBS... I have put on 800 miles on mine and I have had no regrets buying it.

daveydave said:
Thanks for the information. I'm very happy to hear you are enjoying your bike. I have yet to read anyone who has an on-line bargain bike who has been extremely disappointed. Maybe the only forum members here are bike shop dealers who who have something huge at stake.
well the bike that I have, is for a "recreational/fitness/touring" category. The one that you linked to, should be at least a half step better because of the gearing, shifters and the frame...

daveydave said:
Even though your's is steel, have you ever weighed it? What year was it? I assume it's straight-bar and not compact? Heck, I'm riding a 1982 Panasonic that's 30lbs right now - just trying to get back in good shape. At 25 years old, it's still a good ride, I just want something with more updated components and somewhat lighter.
its about 24 lbs...
straight top tube...

Thanks eOricht,

I appreciate you following up on those questions.

If I make that purchase, I'll share all the details with you and all that care to read.

dave

e0richt said:
well the bike that I have, is for a "recreational/fitness/touring" category. The one that you linked to, should be at least a half step better because of the gearing, shifters and the frame...

its about 24 lbs...
straight top tube...

daveydave said:
Thanks eOricht,

I appreciate you following up on those questions.

If I make that purchase, I'll share all the details with you and all that care to read.

dave
cool, I will be waiting for your review... you never know, I might need to upgrade... :D