Why Lance should ride for VIII

g-brown said:
congratulations asshole
Hey Turenne and g-brown....I see you are new members, I also see that you had something missing in your upbringing. Most of us in the forums do not like this kind of out-and-out disrespect to another member. Please mind your manners.

jhuskey said:
Before anyone critiques my spelling, well....I can't spell **** ....actually I can spell **** ,it is the muliti-syllable words that give me problems.
LOL!!! its okay....we forgive you:D

jhuskey said:
Before anyone critiques my spelling, well....I can't spell **** ....actually I can spell **** ,it is the muliti-syllable words that give me problems.
It's a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word.
~Andrew Jackson

:D

LW

baj32161 said:
LOL!!! its okay....we forgive you:D

I have tried that approach with women. As long as I just think about something, I am ok.
Once I start feeling I sometimes get smacked. I'll practice more that is usually the key.

jhuskey said:
The history of the tour has been shakey at time it almost ended just as it got started , but you are correct in the prediction that it will live on. At least for some time ,however how much intersest will it evoke in American cycling without Armstrong?
The next few years of the tour will undoubtedly get similar coverage in the US as now, but will it wain if the US doesn't continue to have top performing riders?
Fortunately there are some promising prospects,but being I am a greedy A** Hole ,I want continued improving coverage of cycling and fear it will diminish with a new era. Right now I have football to watch ,but I am looking forward to next July and don't want to just read about it on the net.

That's where I feel OLN messed up this year. For the most part, their coverage was "all Lance, all the time". I thought they could have done more to promote interest in other riders, in anticipation of next year and beyond.

By the way, as much as I'd like to see Armstrong ride again, he said he was retiring to spend more time with his children. I'd hate to see him cast his time with them aside just to goad the French.

I would much rather see Lance go for the Tour of Italy, Spain, Georgia or heck even the Tour of Califronia in 2006. and Don't forget the Cyclassics

if the French wanna pout, then why continue to play in their yard. If Lance rides their tour again, think of the money that France would see from tourism

show'em who's da man and take the show elsewhere

vrbuzard said:
if the French wanna pout, then why continue to play in their yard. If Lance rides their tour again, think of the money that France would see from tourism
You obviously never went to see the Tour de France in your life...
Poor TV watcher:p

Firstly the Tour doesnt need expanded US interest to survive, however those hardcore fans in the US will probably miss out since the coverage will be scaled back once the ratings dive, however it should be noted the tour financially had taken a hit prior to 1999 with all the scandals and such and was losing ground. Personnaly I hope it always retains its status as the premier cycling event. Sure the french might not bathe as much as us, driving in paris is like putting a loaded revolver to your head and they thought the maginot line would stop the nazi's (the maginot line for crying out loud)! But they do put on one fantastic race! Also the locals are far more impassioned and knowledgeable about the tour and cycling in general than anywhere else I have ever been.

i personally think he shouldnt...

mainly because i think he already has done a lot for the sport. getting the 6th was a big achievement.

what if he rides this tour and for some reason was unable to finish it, or lost to some much younger rider. ?

nah, he is a great rider and many will remember him for being the best, that wont change if he doesnt ride the tour again.

retire at the top...he has absolutlely nothing to prove regarding le tour...

jhuskey said:
The history of the tour has been shakey at time it almost ended just as it got started , but you are correct in the prediction that it will live on. At least for some time ,however how much intersest will it evoke in American cycling without Armstrong?
The next few years of the tour will undoubtedly get similar coverage in the US as now, but will it wain if the US doesn't continue to have top performing riders?
Fortunately there are some promising prospects,but being I am a greedy A** Hole ,I want continued improving coverage of cycling and fear it will diminish with a new era. Right now I have football to watch ,but I am looking forward to next July and don't want to just read about it on the net.

Jhuskey... There are hundreds of thousands Italians, Spaniards, Germans fans in the Tour, not to mention the millions French. In the lone Alpe-d'Huez climb, some year see a crowd of 1.000.000 people!
Main audiences are from France, Italy, Spain...
Americans represent only a very small part of incomes (tourism, audiences...).
Armstrong or no Armstrong, the Tour will be exactly the same!

Turenne said:
Jhuskey... There are hundreds of thousands Italians, Spaniards, Germans fans in the Tour, not to mention the millions French. In the lone Alpe-d'Huez climb, some year see a crowd of 1.000.000 people!
Main audiences are from France, Italy, Spain...
Americans represent only a very small part of incomes (tourism, audiences...).
Armstrong or no Armstrong, the Tour will be exactly the same!

I'm sorry isn't that what I said . I just said I felt that the interest in the US would wain without a leading American. I am among 1 of the 3 Americans that has read the entire history of the tour from Desgrange until now.
I stated before I am greedy and want my viewing time.
Please reread my post for content or I can clarify if necessary.
Personally I wish Armstrong would go for 8,as I stated before I want Jan to have another shot to beat him.

MP: You have changed your avatar.

jhuskey said:
I'm sorry isn't that what I said . I just said I felt that the interest in the US would wain without a leading American. I am among 1 of the 3 Americans that has read the entire history of the tour from Desgrange until now.
I stated before I am greedy and want my viewing time.
Please reread my post for content or I can clarify if necessary.
Personally I wish Armstrong would go for 8,as I stated before I want Jan to have another shot to beat him.

Ah, OK, I misunderstood :rolleyes:
However, I'm not so pessimistic about the interest in the Tour in the US. America produced and will produce great champions and LA is not the last one...
Greg was great, Bobby Julich had the potential to win the Tour... I'm sure we just have to wait 3-4 years to see another american ace (hence audience in the Us rocketting again).:)

jhuskey said:
my grandfather funeral was yesterday, a gentleman, scholar and an Irishman of great distinction...

i miss him greatly.

Turenne said:
Ah, OK, I misunderstood :rolleyes:
However, I'm not so pessimistic about the interest in the Tour in the US. America produced and will produce great champions and LA is not the last one...
Greg was great, Bobby Julich had the potential to win the Tour... I'm sure we just have to wait 3-4 years to see another american ace (hence audience in the Us rocketting again).:)

Of course Lemond did not garner near as much press. Sadly I must admit that was when I was in my prime and trained 7 days a week so that makes me.....older now, I'll leave it at that, but speaking from a household that is close to cycling I have always been disappointed at the media coverage in the US.
I get ****** everytime I see front page coverage of some "poduck" Nascar race and Armstrongs stage win buried on page three with one or two sentences.
Armstrong gave hope to millions as a cancer survivor that could overcome all odds and do anything.That gave him added star quality.
I don't believe we will see his likes again for some time.
I pray the fallout of his legacy will fuel added interest in the future.

MountainPro said:
my grandfather funeral was yesterday, a gentleman, scholar and an Irishman of great distinction...

i miss him greatly.

Sorry for your loss MP. I hope you and the family are doing well.
I don't allow myself the luxury of alcohol during the week ,but I will raise a drink in his memory this weekend if you deem it appropriate.

jhuskey said:
Sorry for your loss MP. I hope you and the family are doing well.
I don't allow myself the luxury of alcohol during the week ,but I will raise a drink in his memory this weekend if you deem it appropriate.
cheers mate,

i havent had a sober day since last thursday.

Turenne said:
You obviously never went to see the Tour de France in your life...
Poor TV watcher:p

your right, I have never been to France. I am just a poor cyclist

I am so ashamed!

This was my first year when I actually got to watch the entire Tour via OLN, (Viva La ONL), instead of only catching a 3 sec blurb in the US media

I was hoping that they would have given the same coverage to the Tour of Spain, but it looks like they are just going to cover the entire race in a one hour highlights show

MountainPro said:
i personally think he shouldnt...

mainly because i think he already has done a lot for the sport. getting the 6th was a big achievement.

what if he rides this tour and for some reason was unable to finish it, or lost to some much younger rider. ?

nah, he is a great rider and many will remember him for being the best, that wont change if he doesnt ride the tour again.

retire at the top...he has absolutlely nothing to prove regarding le tour...
I agree Mountain Pro. Lance is in Sacramento today promoting Health and Fitness and he is having a great impact on the event. I would like to see him focus on promoting the sport on both sides of the pond (that includes what ever side of the pond the Aussies are on of course). The Tour of California will need a Lance or Merckx type to help us kick start the race next year.

Heck, if he still wants to race, do the smaller but very competitive fun events. We would love to see him in the SF Grand Prix again and TOB has expressed interest in his presents. He could be a racer\couch for Disco.

Let's setup a meeting with the guy and hammer these issues out... :D

LW

MountainPro said:

i miss him greatly.
Sorry about your Grandfather passing MP. I know you will remeber him the rest of your life.

My grand father was Scots-Irish, played the Uillean pipes, Penny Whistle and tried to teach me Celtic songs. He spent his early life in the Navy, helped lay the natural gas lines from New York to San Fransisco (he once told me , he was the REAL inventor of the Bunsen Burner :) ), he restored an old Peugeot 10 speed that was to be my first 10 speed...... Oh well, I could go on and on.... My Grandfather died in 1978 and I still remeber him as if I talked to him yesterday.

As I stated above, you will remember him the rest of your life.

LW

MountainPro said:
i miss him greatly.
My condoleances, MP. Take care